Browner more beneficial at SS or CB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Browner more beneficial at SS or CB

So if this indeed does go down, I'm curious as to what happens.

1. Who was the most successful CB to SS conversion? SS is a completely different animal from FS. Ti get the SS we need, it needs a guy who wants contact...is Browner that?

2. If he's corner, he needs to be on the outside. Like Talib, he struggles against the smaller guys...what does this mean for Dennard and Ryan? Im a fan of both of those guys, while I think Browner is better, this may inhibit their growth. 

I like the depth though

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Browner more beneficial at SS or CB

He's 6ft4 but barely 200 pounds. Rodney was barely 6ft but 225 pounds. The guy better bulk up if he's gonna play strong safety. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

if we sit on draft day and Calvin Pryor falls to #29, take him. he's the SS and Browner is CB. simple.

if he doesnt fall, draft depth for DT. Browner is SS

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

He's 6ft4 but barely 200 pounds. Rodney was barely 6ft but 225 pounds. The guy better bulk up if he's gonna play strong safety. 

he is 220 from everywhere i see

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

if we sit on draft day and Calvin Pryor falls to #29, take him. he's the SS and Browner is CB. simple.

if he doesnt fall, draft depth for DT. Browner is SS

Who was the most successful CB turned SS? Different monster than FS...I know Browner is good in coverage, and has size...but does he have that thumper attitude in his game to be a SS?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

he is 220 from everywhere i see

He must have realy been doing steroids then. His bio read 6'4 205. Now I see 221...sweet!

Anyway I see Dennard as the lock "2 CB, and Ryan locked at 3 and the slot with Arrington, so a switch to ss would be great as long as he has the body to administer those hits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

You ever see this guy? He's not 200 pounds, in fact he looks like a linebacker playing corner. Think Tebucky Jones but bigger, taller and better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

Did he look good because of the players surrounding him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

200???  I can assure you he's beefier than that.  In fact the first thing that came to mind when his name popped up in regards to NE is that BB has found his Strong Safety.  That's a big boy who enjoys getting physical.  Zolak made mention he was the scariest looking corner he's ever seen. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's 6'4 225, Rodney was 6'3 230 (Beast of a man).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

He's plenty big to play either position. I hope the pats sign him because we could put him in the box, line him up on TEs and leave Collins to get after the QB. Plus with revis out there, mcd  only needs to roll help to 1 side Of the field making his job easier as well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

Supposedly he is going to visit with the Saints and the Pats haven't even signed him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If he signs, I like him best on the corner. If he signs, we know he will miss 4 games. can he practice during the suspension? Will Dennerd miss time? 

We have seen too many Cb's hurt by being rushed...let's not rush Ryan. Injuries always a concern playing this set the edge defense, size matters

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Just sign him...  Belichick will put him where he can do the most damage.  BB is probably drawing up a new scheme with Revis and hopefully Browner in the mix that nobody has seen before for all we know...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

“@WEEI: .@AdamSchefter tells @DandCShow that the Pats are close with Brandon Browner, but that there's no deal yet.”

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Just occured to me....   Browner and Revis together give you what Talib did ( when he was healthy)....   except better since it is 2 people.    Browner will be singled on the freak TE's like J Graham and big receivers like Megatron and  Marshall while Revis on the smaller speedier guys.  Revis doesn't have Talib's length.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

I'd move him to safety if he's willing to do it. He'd be able to cover a lot of the quicker TEs like Talib did with Graham. It seems that BB may be admitting his low success rate at drafting DBs so he has to get quality ones through FA.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Think you look at him outside CB, Collins locks down TEs, Revis best WR Browner the other half of the field.  Because these guys are above average in man you can roll DM and DH on safety around.

I like Logan Ryan a little more than Dennard, just looks a little more fluid in coverage but you have Ryan, Dennard and Arrington in the slot.  That's a pretty damn good back end, immediately improves the pass rush.

I think Harmon has shown enough to warrant it's his starting job to loose.  There's an article on how undervalued he was during the draft process compared to the big name safeties.  

Actually here's the article

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1624721-new-england-patriots-in-defense-of-duron-harmon

as a big S/LB hybrid I would like them to draft Telvin Smith, 6'3" 218lbs 4.51 40 built like a SS but has played multiple LB spots.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I just hope he can stay healthy off the juice... not easy for a tall guy in the backfield.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

“@WEEI: .@AdamSchefter tells @DandCShow that the Pats are close with Brandon Browner, but that there's no deal yet.”

I'd love to see the Patriots land Browner. I'm tired of seeing them trot out 5'10" CBs who consistently are beaten by taller, more physical WRs. As an added benefit, getting Browner means that they won't have to use a high draft choice on a CB, for a change...and can address the OL and DL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:

Think you look at him outside CB, Collins locks down TEs, Revis best WR Browner the other half of the field.  Because these guys are above average in man you can roll DM and DH on safety around.

I like Logan Ryan a little more than Dennard, just looks a little more fluid in coverage but you have Ryan, Dennard and Arrington in the slot.  That's a pretty damn good back end, immediately improves the pass rush.

I think Harmon has shown enough to warrant it's his starting job to loose.  There's an article on how undervalued he was during the draft process compared to the big name safeties.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1624721-new-england-patriots-in-defense-of-duron-harmon

as a big S/LB hybrid I would like them to draft Telvin Smith, 6'3" 218lbs 4.51 40 built like a SS but has played multiple LB spots.  

Good points.

why not swap out harmon for browner on 3rd down and put him on TE? Use Collins to blitz. browner should be plenty big enough to cover a TE, and you get an extra boost via Collins rushing the passer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

agreed with a bunch of posters. Does anyone have Browners splits in the slot. Browner will most likely not have a set position IMO. He'll be assigned the to the big offensive mismatches I.e. Julius Thomas, Alshon Jeffrey, Eifert/Gresham.

Revis will be on the #1. Regardless of size, he shut down Moss, Megatron, and A Johnson in one season I believe.

Browner plays the big nickel, outside corner, and S....that would be ideal....Again, I'd like to know his stats in the slot. Not all outside corners can play inside

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to Rocky's comment:

I'd love to see the Patriots land Browner. I'm tired of seeing them trot out 5'10" CBs who consistently are beaten by taller, more physical WRs. As an added benefit, getting Browner means that they won't have to use a high draft choice on a CB, for a change...and can address the OL and DL.

With BB's track record of drafting in the defensive backfield, we'd better pray we sign as many FA db's as we can. I've seen Browner up close and personal the last few years in Seattle and his play at corner has declined. Fast, shifty receivers give him fits (  as they do everyone) but move him to safety or lock him up on the other teams top TE and we may solve one of the biggest problems ( besides a sustainable pass rush ) this D has. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Smith is the most intriguing player in the draft, IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Smith is the most intriguing player in the draft, IMO.

Love your Due Dilligence man. Been getting hip to this guy lately and would love to see this kind of player roaming around our D !!!

Sections
Shortcuts