Browner, Revis , and Collins Enough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Browner, Revis , and Collins Enough?

"

Revis Has been Everything as Advertised:
    It’s amazing how little fanfare Revis is drawing in the national press as he goes about his business in Foxboro. He’s completely changed the Patriots defense and has provided a tremendous upgrade at cornerback. Now completely healthy he has certainly lived up to the hype of “Revis Island”.

At least twice so far, quarterbacks have refused to throw in his direction during 1-on-1 drills. That is how much he’s blanketed receivers. He’s picked off Brady a few times in full team drills and his confidence is certainly rubbing off on his teammates.

He and Browner have upgraded the corner position to where with Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard and Kyle Arrington, this is arguably the deepest, most complete secondaries in the Bill Belichick era.

The defense is already ahead of the power curve, as the secondary goes, so goes the rest of the unit. Belichick is already tinkering with different packages and looks. We’ve seen 4-3, 3-4 and even some two down lineman looks. That means the defense is soaking up the playbook and is ready for more. That’s a by-product of what Revis brings to the table.

Be sure to follow PatsFans.com during training camp, we’ll have daily updates, photo galleries and any breaking news from Foxboro. We also are updating the stats database and now have the PatsPicker where you can play GM and select your own 53 man roster for the Patriots.

"

The Physical Intensity of the Practices Has Energized the Team:
    Much was written about Brandon Browner’s physical nature and that side of the game that he brought over from Seattle while a member of the “Legion of Boom”. From his de-cleating of James White last weekend to his battles with Thompkins, Browner has put the rest of the team on notice that the defense will play with an edge in 2014. And it has carried over.

The defense has been energized with his and Revis’ presence on the field making the 11-on-11 drills more game like when watching rather than a traditional practice. After Revis turned in a pick-six and then later a goal line stop of Stevan Ridley, the defense was chanting “Hell No We Won’t Go” and Browner helped set that tone when earlier in the week he jammed Thompkins well beyond the five yard limit, at one point rag-dolling him to the turf.

The intimidation factor can’t be discounted at this point as it will not only solidify the defensive unit, but steel the offense for the long grind ahead. Some of these sessions have been the most intense practices in recent memory.

- See more at: http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/08/04/six-takeaways-from-the-patriots-training-camp-so-far/6/#sthash.p9v9ajR3.dpuf" rel="nofollow">http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/08/04/six-takeaways-from-the-patriots-training-camp-so-far/6/#sthash.p9v9ajR3.dpuf

--------------------

Will Browner, Revis, and Collins be enough of a catalyst to be a top 5 defense or will we need additional contributions from other DE/OLB from the pass rush?

"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Browner, Revis , and Collins Enough?

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

"

Revis Has been Everything as Advertised:
    It’s amazing how little fanfare Revis is drawing in the national press as he goes about his business in Foxboro. He’s completely changed the Patriots defense and has provided a tremendous upgrade at cornerback. Now completely healthy he has certainly lived up to the hype of “Revis Island”.

At least twice so far, quarterbacks have refused to throw in his direction during 1-on-1 drills. That is how much he’s blanketed receivers. He’s picked off Brady a few times in full team drills and his confidence is certainly rubbing off on his teammates.

He and Browner have upgraded the corner position to where with Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard and Kyle Arrington, this is arguably the deepest, most complete secondaries in the Bill Belichick era.

The defense is already ahead of the power curve, as the secondary goes, so goes the rest of the unit. Belichick is already tinkering with different packages and looks. We’ve seen 4-3, 3-4 and even some two down lineman looks. That means the defense is soaking up the playbook and is ready for more. That’s a by-product of what Revis brings to the table.

Be sure to follow PatsFans.com during training camp, we’ll have daily updates, photo galleries and any breaking news from Foxboro. We also are updating the stats database and now have the PatsPicker where you can play GM and select your own 53 man roster for the Patriots.

"

The Physical Intensity of the Practices Has Energized the Team:
    Much was written about Brandon Browner’s physical nature and that side of the game that he brought over from Seattle while a member of the “Legion of Boom”. From his de-cleating of James White last weekend to his battles with Thompkins, Browner has put the rest of the team on notice that the defense will play with an edge in 2014. And it has carried over.

The defense has been energized with his and Revis’ presence on the field making the 11-on-11 drills more game like when watching rather than a traditional practice. After Revis turned in a pick-six and then later a goal line stop of Stevan Ridley, the defense was chanting “Hell No We Won’t Go” and Browner helped set that tone when earlier in the week he jammed Thompkins well beyond the five yard limit, at one point rag-dolling him to the turf.

The intimidation factor can’t be discounted at this point as it will not only solidify the defensive unit, but steel the offense for the long grind ahead. Some of these sessions have been the most intense practices in recent memory.

- See more at: http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/08/04/six-takeaways-from-the-patriots-training-camp-so-far/6/#sthash.p9v9ajR3.dpuf" rel="nofollow">http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/08/04/six-takeaways-from-the-patriots-training-camp-so-far/6/#sthash.p9v9ajR3.dpuf" rel="nofollow">http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/08/04/six-takeaways-from-the-patriots-training-camp-so-far/6/#sthash.p9v9ajR3.dpuf

--------------------

Will Browner, Revis, and Collins be enough of a catalyst to be a top 5 defense or will we need additional contributions from other DE/OLB from the pass rush?

"

The Bodies are here. BB needs to start trusting his backups. Last year he overused our DE's so much they probably collected Buchanans/Bequettes paychecks as well as theirs. I think Hightower plays a big role this year in pass rush on 3rd downs. Collins is our Joker, he will rack up stats every week. Mayo is the Glue. Fork is the old Anchor. I see his snaps coming down to 60%. Silver Sealver is the new Stud IMO in terms of Run Stopper. I think the biggest question for me is how soon if it all does Easley contribute and does he make an impact like they expect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Revis is Revis.  The man is flat out incredible and is as close to an comparison on defense as you can make if you were to give a team Brady.  Add to this that 1) he's playing to prove himself to the league that thinks he's a little long in the tooth and the a couple young bucks may be the best corners now.  2) He's back 100% healthy.  3)  He's now for the first time in his NFL career, legitimately playing for a ring.  4)  And lastly, he's only got a 1 year contract and has one last shot at a big contract.

Browner is not even close to the talent Revis is, but he has raw fire in his heart and belly.  You can't teach that.  He brings the pain with an edge, and will be an enforcer on defense inspiring the other guys to better and more physical play.  Top this off with the fact that he just got cut from a team that won the SB.  He has a ring, and how sweet would it be for him to put another one on the opposite hand from the new team he's with?  He could call all his previous teammates and coaches from Seattle and make them eat it for years to come. 

Collins was one of the most promising talents on our team last year.  Nay, he was the most promising.  His size, speed, athleticism is one of those rare combinations you just don't see happen all that often.  The man can cover, rush, and tackle, and I fully expect the kind of second year leap from him that is going to put the league on notice and have us Pats fans absolutely giddy. 

I expect a lot out of this defense this year because the bodies and talent is there.  DMac is playing well enough at FS for him to be talked about nationally, and this year he's playing for a contract.  Jones is on a mission and wants to rank among the sack leaders in the NFL this year, and has the talent to do it.  Mayo is an absolute stud and rock star.  Hightower was coming on strong last year even though he was being asked to do too much.  That won't be the case this year, and he should be put back into a position he can thrive at.  Also he's one of those guys who plays up to the talent around him.  Big Vince is back and is hungry.  Especially since he's been on a diet.  Nink had more QB hurries than any other player in the league last year, and that additional second the secondary is going to give him is going to pay dividends.  And Easely showed me some stuff that had me laughing like a lunatic when I dug up game footage of him to see what we got.  The man was moving not in reaction to the snap, but with it, and thus was arriving at the QB almost at the same time as the ball.  It was almost unfair.  If he can regain that speed, this defense will be off the chain ridiculous. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

The defense is going to be great. The new faces in the secondary are going to make it tougher for opposing quarterbacks to get the ball out quickly, which will improve our pass rush 100%. I expect to see Kelly, Jones & nink making a lot of plays in the backfield. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the secondary might improve the pass rush and how this defense will be called this season...more blitzes may be dialed up...they can do that when you have coverage.

I'm real interested to see what Easley can do, he's supposed to be special from the inside...could you imagine that? Chandler on the outside and another guy rushing from the middle? That would really change things. I would expect something out of Hightower and Collins rushing from the outside as well.

There are some questions marks...the guys coming back on the defensive line have serious injuries, but just in terms of pure talent, this defense has more than they have had in maybe ten years.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I just have to remind myself not to get giddy

Every week we could have a new star of the game.

The rookies can all be brought along slowly, just like 

Collins last year

The advantage of having guys play with all the injuries I was a blessing in disguise

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Health aside, yes, this defense has all the parts to be a top 5 D. 

Btw...Revis has nothing to prove to me. He is easily in the top 5 CBS in the league...still. A vast improvement over Dennard, Arrington, Ryan and to an extent, Talib. Add browner to that as well, but maybe not as good a cover as Talib, but better than the rest. Lb corps solid, dline very good when healthy,. The only 2 concerns I have on D are health and the 2nd safety position opposite mccourty. I hope Harmon can slide into a starting spot and not look out of place. If those 2 things go our way, watch out. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Health aside, yes, this defense has all the parts to be a top 5 D. 

Btw...Revis has nothing to prove to me. He is easily in the top 5 CBS in the league...still. A vast improvement over Dennard, Arrington, Ryan and to an extent, Talib. Add browner to that as well, but maybe not as good a cover as Talib, but better than the rest. Lb corps solid, dline very good when healthy,. The only 2 concerns I have on D are health and the 2nd safety position opposite mccourty. I hope Harmon can slide into a starting spot and not look out of place. If those 2 things go our way, watch out. 

Disagree. Talib was the DOPY last year through Week 6.  The only difference is health in that aspect. Talib is a bigger CB and he had a better year last year over Revis.

It's the truth.

Revis missed most of 2012 and wasn't elite in 2011 or even 2010. He came in out of shape and held out for years.

I will say that when healthy himself, Revis is a better technician at the position, but the talent is clearly even.

I don't think Revis would be asked to take out Jimmy Graham, for example.  He doesn't have the range to do it.

Maybe your right. But I can't help to think bb would have signed Talib over revis if he thought that way as well. Bb gave up a ton of money for a cb that hasn't proven anything since 2009. Is it a bad investment or does revis still have the goods? I guess we will find out. 

Sections
Shortcuts