Browns aren’t expected to try to trade for Ryan Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re: Browns aren’t expected to try to trade for Ryan Mallett

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

San Fran will try to make a quick deal before Smith is due a large chunk of cash. Smith has more value than Mallett so what Smith is traded for will be a barometer for Malletts worth.

Smith has more value to a team that is 1-2 years away from making a run. 

Mallett has more value to a team that knows it's 3 years off. His price tag alone supports that.

Once someone acquires Smith, you're looking at an extension in the 10 million dollar per year range.

Honestly, the new GM acquires Alex Smith for Chicago, for example, they have a couple good drafts, keep their younger players, let their old ones go, Cutler is gone after 2013 as predicted, and there's you in your prime QB who doesn't make moron mistakes or turn it over. Hand it off to Forte and improve that O Line.

I don't understand how you can praise this guy so much for a former #1 overall pick. He was horrible until Harbaugh got there. Hell, even Mark Sanchez led the Jets deep in the playoffs when their defense and running game were top notch. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

San Fran will try to make a quick deal before Smith is due a large chunk of cash. Smith has more value than Mallett so what Smith is traded for will be a barometer for Malletts worth.

Mallett has more value to a team that knows it's 3 years off. His price tag alone supports that.

Once someone acquires Smith, you're looking at an extension in the 10 million dollar per year range.

Honestly, the new GM acquires Alex Smith for Chicago, for example, they have a couple good drafts, keep their younger players, let their old ones go, Cutler is gone after 2013 as predicted, and there's you in your prime QB who doesn't make moron mistakes or turn it over. Hand it off to Forte and improve that O Line.

To say this is wrong or makes no sense is probably pointless at this juncture, but I'm going to do it anyway. First off acquiring Mallett is not the same as acquiring a QB that has actually played some NFL games...doesn't matter if your team is "three years away" or two. Bottom line is Mallett has never played, so anyone that is going to fork over anything above a third round pick for a guy that has never played (and was drafted in the third) is going to be on the hot seat...Lombardi doesn't need that.

And saying Chicago can just hand the ball off to Forte and that will be ok, is not realistic. You think Chicago fans are going to enjoy that? You think Chicago is going to win like that? You say it yourself every single day - the NFL is a passing league benefited by rule enforcement from mean old Goddell. Now Chicago is going to be just ducky by slamming their running back into 8 man boxes? You can't do that and win in the nfl anymore...Baltimore proved that, so did San Fran...you need to be able to do more than just run it and play D. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

I don't understand how you can praise this guy so much for a former #1 overall pick. He was horrible until Harbaugh got there. Hell, even Mark Sanchez led the Jets deep in the playoffs when their defense and running game were top notch. 

Looking back taking Smith above Rodgers in the draft was a big goof but I think Smith is a good QB, of course not near what Rodgers is.  Nut you gotta remember he went through a bunch of Offensive Coordinators prior to Harbaugh getting there so I'm sure that has a lot to do with his play over the years.  It looks like he will be gone from SF and yet again have to adjust to a new Offensive Coordinator. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

if we got the 6th pick, should we draft dee milliner?

Only time I would imagine BB picking that high would be for a DLman - perhaps someone next to VW. If he got the sixth, he might take Star but my guess is he trades down to get more picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

Mallet is still only 24 yrs old. I believe he holds something like 16 records at Arkansas.

Not much real game experience but he has looked very good in his pre-season games.

Oh, I agree.  Compare his upside to Mark Sanchez, the #5 overall 2009 pick BUST, and 50 million invested.

Yeah lost em both too. Hey hows all the NY sandy love fest help going? Are the Sandy victims all warm and fuzzy in their tents with all the new snow? You NY'ers sure help out your own,

Yes, only more playoff wins than the patsies since being drafted with a measly two AFC championship games, putting up 28 points on that great patsie D. That sure is a bust. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I seriously doubt that Cleveland gets Mallett. It would be a terrible idea for them. Not because Mallett won't be a capable QB, but because they've already got 2 pretty capable guys on the roster with no targets. They've got an aging Watson and a bunch of 2nd tier guys. I still think they should have used that pick last year on a WR or traded that and the 2nd rounder to move up and grab Floyd or Wright and worked with Colt. He's a high accuracy guy who was a proven winner.

That being said, I'll never put it past Cleveland to make a stupid move, and I hope BB fleeces them if given the opportunity. Maybe they'll add Richardson to the deal.

Sections
Shortcuts