Browns @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Browns @ Patriots REPORT CARD

In my younger days in New England, it was a family tradition that on Sunday, we all would gather for a huge meal. I have continued that tradition in Texas. But, after watching the first half of the Browns game Sunday, I had lost my appetitie. Then, after seeing Gronk suffer that devastating knee injury and get carted off, I became queasy. Though the Patriots would miraculously bounce back from playing terribly throughout the game, and win with two TDs in the final 61 seconds of play, it was little consolation. Here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: Absolutely pathetic, until the final quarter of play. This unit sleep-walked throughout the first half, and was shut out. In the third quarter, after the Gronk injury and subsequent Brady strip sack, the "O' appeared to slowly come to the realization that they were playing a football game. Finally, in the frantic fourth quarter, they managed to steal a victory at the end. Given this unit's performance for the first 40 minutes or so of play, that hardly seems fair.

1.) QB: As was the case with the entire offensive unit, Tom Brady was terrible in the first quarter, in which he completed just one (1) of six (6) passes for five (5) yards, and threw an interception. Over the first 15 minutes, the Patriots "held" the ball for just 2:02, during which the "O" ran seven (7) plays, netting 17 total yards. Tom's second quarter was only slightly better, as he completed six (6) passes in 12 attempts for 90 yards, and allowed himself to take a sack which knocked his club out of FG range. In the third quarter, Tom started hot, completing three (3) of his first four (4) passes for 55 yards. But then came the Gronk injury, followed immediately by a Brady strip-sack fumble. The Browns would convert the turnover into a FG, as they did with his ealier interception. They went on to build a 19-3, lead with 1:25 left to play in the quarter.  From that point on, Brady was immense, completing 17 of 22 passes for 208 yards and two TDs...plus a couple of huge PI penalties to spare. Leading his team for two TDs in the final 61 seconds is legendary stuff. Still, there was that awful start: GRADE: B+;

2.) RBs: When an OL is not opening up running lanes, a RB is almost always not going to garner impressive stats. Still, LeGarrette Blount did okay with 42 yards on eight (8) carries, while Stevan Ridley chipped in with 35 yards on eight (8) carries. Though Shane Vereen did little damage on the ground (nine (9) yards on three (3) carries), he was superb in the passing game. Vereen was targeted 17 times, and finished with a game high 12 receptions for 153 yards. FB James Develin also contributed in the passing game with a nice over the shoulder catch and run down the right sideline, for 31 yards: GRADE: B+;

3.) OL: This group must get better, fast. They allowed their 36 year old QB to be under constant pressure, especially in the first half. Running lanes for the RBs was a rare occurrence. Folks, these guys didn't show up until the 4th quarter. With Gronk out for the season, Tom Brady is going to have to rely more heavily on his running game, and be afforded the time to burn defenses deep, to keep them honest. The middle of the line in particular needs to step up: GRADE: C-;

4.) TEs and WRs: A sad ending for Gronk, who had just two catches for 16 yards, before being low-balled by Cleveland safety T. J. Ward. Though the hit was technically legal, it appeared to be a bit of a cheap shot. Still, Ward is 5'10" and around 200 lbs.. Under the current NFL rules, how else is he going to cut down a 6'6", 265 lb. truck coming towards him? As for the WRs, Julian Edelman again led the way with six catches for 64 yards, and a TD, maintaining the two (2) yard TD catch despite taking a tough head shot from Cleveland DB, Jordan Poyer. Josh Boyce had his most extensive action of the season and showed some explosiveness, finishing with three (3) catches for 49 yards. Boyce also drew the controversial PI penalty in the endzone, with the 29 yard penalty setting up the Pats' game winning TD.  With Gronk gone, the Pats must now get more production out of Danny Amendola, who finished with four (4) catches for 36 yards: GRADE: C;

II. DEFENSE: This unit was the reverse of the offense. The "D" was outstanding in the first half, as it held the Browns to just six (6) points...keeping the Pats in the game. But, in the second half, the "D" made Jason Campbell appear to be the second coming of John Elway.

1.) DL: Though the shock troopers in the trenches pretty much took away what little there was of the Cleveland running game, they were able to get absolutely no pressure on Browns' QB Jason Campbell throughout the game. Rob Ninkovich was the best of a poor pass rushing lot, registering the lone Patriots' sack, and finished with seven (7) tackles, including five (5) solos. DE Chandler Jones was no where to be found, and the Pats' DTs got zero pressure up the middle: GRADE: D+;

2.) LBs: Dont'a Hightower played one of his better games in terms of making tackles, finishing with a team high 11, seven (7) of which were solos. Hightower appeared to force a fumble after blowing up a RB on a swing pass...but was robbed onhis turnover forcing play due to a quick whistle by the zebras. But Hightower was badly beaten by Browns reserve TE Gary Barnage for a 40 yard TD catch and run. Though Jamie Collins was active (eight (8) tackles, four (4) solos), he and the Pats' secondary had a ton of trouble keeping up with starting Cleveland TE Jordan Cameron, who finished the day with nine (9) catches for 121 yards, and a TD. The Cleveland RBs also hurt the Patriots on pass receptions coming out of the backfield, finishing with a combined 6 receptions for 74 yards. Allowing QB Jason Campbell to scramble for 21 yards on a 2nd and 8 late in the first quarter was inexcusable: GRADE: D;

3.) SECONDARY: Aqib Talib and company, save for an 80 yard catch and run, did a decent job of containing Cleveland stud WR Josh Morgan, who finished with seven (7) receptions for 151 yards. Yards after catch was an issue all afternoon...as it was with this 80 yard play, and the above mentioned Gary Barnage 40 yard TD play. No Pats' DB distinguished himself in this performance, as the secondary was torched by Cleveland QB Jason Campbell. For the day, Campbell completed 29 of 44 for 391 yards, three (3) TDs, and no picks. What was particularly infuriating was, after the Pats had gone ahead, 27-26, the "D" nearly allowed Campbell to pull the game out for Cleveland. Needing a FG to win, Campbell had 31 seconds to work with, and no time outs. Beginning from his own 20 yard line, he was able to complete two straight passes for a combined 27 yards. On each of these completions, the secondary allowed the Cleveland receivers to get out of bounds. Campbell would manuever the Browns into long FG range, from 56 yards out. But fortunately, Cleveland kicker Billy Condiff's attempt fell about five yards short: GRADE: D;  

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: The season long outstanding play of this unit continued yesterday, as Stephen Ghostkowski hit two more FGs, including a 50 yarder...and executed a successful onside kick in the final minute of play, giving Tom Brady the chance he needed to win the game. Ryan Allen continues to make BB's decision to release punter Zoltan Mesko appear to be a stroke of genious, with a solid punting performance. Neither team did damage in the return game: GRADE: A-;

IV. COACHING: Over their last four games, the Patriots have been outscored 57-10 in the first half. To quote the late, great Vince Lombardi, "What the hell is going on out there!!" This first half futility is past the point now of being ridiculous, and must be dealt with! These slow starts appear to be a combination of injuries catching up with the team, a less talented overall group of skilled players than the Pats have had since 2007, weak OL play, and poor focus.  Especially without Gronk, this team has little margin for error, and must play at it's best for 60 minutes. The Gronk injury was awful, and, though legal, was a bit of a cheap shot. In baseball, if an pitcher throws at an opposing star player to intimidate, you can bet that retaliation will be swift and forthcoming. The Pats' can't allow their receivers to be physically abused the way they were by the Browns' secondary. Perhaps it's time for the Patriots' DBs to start hitting opposing star WRs like Josh Morgan and the like low as well, as a method of intimidation. The head shot is gone...so let's start sending messages to opposing teams that if they hit out receivers low, retaliation will be swift and sure. God knows what Roger Goodell and the NFL Rules Committee will do next. But, rest assured, the game as we now know it is coming to an end. The current rules, especially on PI and illiegal hits, are far too broad, giving the referrees far too much  discretion, and the ability to decide the outcome of games. Getting off my soap box now, credit BB and Josh McDaniels for exploiting the Shane Vereen mismatch to the hilt...and for finally getting rookie Josh Boyce involved in the offense. As for the defense, something needs to be done to improve the pass rush.  Though it's frustrating seeing the Patriots struggle, we must keep in mind the long list of players that the Pats have lost this season: Aaron Hernadez, Wes Welker, Gronk, Sebastien Vollmer, Vince Wilfolk, Tommy Kelly, Jerod Mayo, Alfonzo Dennard. Despite it all, credit BB for continuing to find ways to get it done: GRADE: B-;

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: The on-side kick recovery turned the tide;

V. PLAYER OF THE GAME: bowl caliber year, nailing a 50 yard FG in the cold, and flawlessly executing the aforementioned onside kick.  

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331208017.

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome. Have a great day!                                   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Browns @ Patriots REPORT CARD

But I wanted to win 100-0

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

But I wanted to win 100-0

lol.. you would have given them a plus all the way across the board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Overall nice analysis Tex. 

however, given the game of,polar opposites - offense stinking it up in the 1st half, the defense the 2nd half...is it fair to grade out the offense with an average grade of c/b-, and the defense with a D? 

If any game deserved it, i would give both units a C, and ST a big A.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

His report cards never make sense. The Offense and QB were god awful for 3 qtrs while the D was not.

There are 4 qtrs of football. The D outplayed the offene in this game for more of the game. End of story.  They also got screwed royally with 5 horrendous and incorrect calls. It stated in the 1st qtr on the Hightower strip of Little.

Here is my report card:

Offense: D

Defense: B

STs: A

Refs: F

There is the accurate grading scale.

To expect a D to shutout any offense in this league for 4 qtrs while our offense fidgets with their respective nuts all game is ridiculous.

Complementary football. It's how you win consistently.  RIght now, our offense sucks in first halves. Meanwhile, our D has been generally good, minus last week in Houston.

Brady as awful for 3 qtrs and had a 31.7 QB rating in the first half.

Go back and look at the offense in the last 5-6 games in first halves, even with Gronk, and compare it to the second half.

IMO, this started happening with Gronk's return, which almost smells like the gameplans were starting to be around Gronk, which is a binky problem, which is no different than our problems in previous playoffs where teams hone in on where Brady wants to go and they rush 4 and double who they think Brady wants to focus on.

It's all so confusing.  Sometimes you only want to count the first half, sometimes, it's the second half.  Campbell had a rating of 116 for the game.  Sorry, I don't have the irrelevant half breakdown, but I know he threw for 3 TDs and no picks.  Isn't he like a third string QB playing against "arguably the best defense in the AFC"?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Great Report Tex!  Im in agreement for the most part. I also think the pats should try to start games with more running and let Brady ease himself into the passing game. I dont mind the 4 and 5 WR sets but with this line I would rather establish the run first and utilize playaction. The young WRs will get open easier off playaction.

I also noticed the improved play of HIghtower. Played with Urgency for the 1st time.  Maybe they run blitzed him?

The secondary concerns me and lack of rush but it was really the tight end that killed us as usual. They need to find a way to get Harmon on the field to cover tight ends. he plays physical with them. Gregory and McCourty are a nightmare vs tight ends. just too small.

Pass Rush is priority # 1 for me.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Sorry, I can't agree, regarding the defense.  That would be a "D" grade, overall. If not for the defense, the Patriots don't get the opportunity to make their comeback.  Were they as good as I would like them to be?  No.  But considering the injuries, on that side of the ball. I can't fault them to that degree.  They had one bad quarter.  The offense, on the other hand, failed to come through for more than half the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

It's all so confusing.  Sometimes you only want to count the first half, sometimes, it's the second half.  Campbell had a rating of 116 for the game.  Sorry, I don't have the irrelevant half breakdown, but I know he threw for 3 TDs and no picks.  Isn't he like a third string QB playing against "arguably the best defense in the AFC"?

LMAO!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Thanks TP, another great read.  I have not been able to watch the complete game TP but I think it will be pretty cool watching the game after reading your report card. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was harder on the "D" because of the perceived quality of the opposition. Cleveland has a very good defense, but are offensively challenged. They have no running game, and were playing a back-up QB...though Campbell is a good back-up.

But, you're right. It is "confusing". Games like this, where the Pats stink out the joint in the first half, and turn it all around in rthe second, are hard to grade.

Pats have the "best defense in the AFC"?? Really??? 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

His report cards never make sense. The Offense and QB were god awful for 3 qtrs while the D was not.

There are 4 qtrs of football. The D outplayed the offene in this game for more of the game. End of story.  They also got screwed royally with 5 horrendous and incorrect calls. It stated in the 1st qtr on the Hightower strip of Little.

Here is my report card:

To expect a D to shutout any offense in this league for 4 qtrs while our offense fidgets with their respective nuts all game is ridiculous.

Complementary football. It's how you win consistently.  RIght now, our offense sucks in first halves. Meanwhile, our D has been generally good, minus last week in Houston.

Go back and look at the offense in the last 5-6 games in first halves, even with Gronk, and compare it to the second half.

IMO, this started happening with Gronk's return, which almost smells like the gameplans were starting to be around Gronk, which is a binky problem, which is no different than our problems in previous playoffs where teams hone in on where Brady wants to go and they rush 4 and double who they think Brady wants to focus on.

No, it's not confusing. I want our offense to not look like a Pop Warner team in first halves, so our D isn't on the field so much.

When your D is on the field a lot with no help from the offense, ya know, it kinda takes its toll on those humans in the second half.  This isn't hard, moron.

Throw in the refs helping Cleveland keep the ball or gifting them TDs outright with Off PI or making up PI on Talib with feet intanglement plays, and you cannot discount these factors as to how Campbell got more chances to keep drives going.

Either Texas Pat and his band of idiots watched this game or you didn't. Looking at a statline whe it's all said and done means you're a moron.

It's the whys and hows that matter, not just the data.

Jerome Booger's crew was atrocious and 4 horrendous calls affected our D directly. End of story.

I know, right.  The refs threw like twice as many flags on the Pats than on the Browns.  Ridiculous!  What?  More flags on Cleveland?  Oh, nevermind.

So, when Cleveland opened up the game with a 6 minute, 50 yard scoring drive, that was because of Brady and the offense?  And the reason why the Pats gave up 21 second half points including a 73 yard TD drive on Cleveland first possession in the 3rd qtr was because the Pats D was on the field for 18 minutes in the first half?  Sounds like a bit of a conditioning/sucking issue.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Here is my report card:

Got to disagree with you this time Russ.  The Defense was Absolutely Horrible for most of the game.  During the first half they couldn't stop the run and during the second half they couldn't stop the pass.  Overall, on third and long the Defense stunk!  Third and 10, third and 12, third and whatever?  No problem.  Pass rush?  Nope?  The offense Stunk for 3 Quarters and that includes Brady.  Coaching was suspect as well.  Blount runs through the line like butter so they bring in Ridley? 

And this criticism is coming from a so-called Homer.  But after saying all of the above, this team is one of the strangest teams I've seen in recent years.  They can stink yet still win.  Even with all of the terrible injuries on this team, I still remain cautiously optimistic   However, it remains to be seen if they can continue to win the way they've been playing.    So let's see what happens one game at a time beginning with Miami.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Here is my report card:

No, it's not confusing. I want our offense to not look like a Pop Warner team in first halves, so our D isn't on the field so much.

When your D is on the field a lot with no help from the offense, ya know, it kinda takes its toll on those humans in the second half.  This isn't hard, moron.

Throw in the refs helping Cleveland keep the ball or gifting them TDs outright with Off PI or making up PI on Talib with feet intanglement plays, and you cannot discount these factors as to how Campbell got more chances to keep drives going.

Either Texas Pat and his band of idiots watched this game or you didn't. Looking at a statline whe it's all said and done means you're a moron.

Jerome Booger's crew was atrocious and 4 horrendous calls affected our D directly. End of story.

I know, right.  The refs threw like twice as many flags on the Pats than on the Browns.  Ridiculous!  What?  More flags on Cleveland?  Oh, nevermind.

So, when Cleveland opened up the game with a 6 minute, 50 yard scoring drive, that was because of Brady and the offense?  And the reason why the Pats gave up 21 second half points including a 73 yard TD drive on Cleveland first possession in the 3rd qtr was because the Pats D was on the field for 18 minutes in the first half?  Sounds like a bit of a conditioning/sucking issue.

It's a team sport.  Each side relies on the other.  When the defense prevents a team from scoring it is then up to the offense to put points on the board.  The more points the offense can provide, the more one dimensional the opposing teams offense is likely to become, thereby making it more predictable and, presumably, easier to defend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Here is my report card:

LMAO at you!!!!   We got man. Duly noted. You never give credit where its due. There isnt another QB in the league that can do what Brady does and all you do is give him crap. Going In Cleveland was ranked 5th vs the pass and run. That pretty stout and they hadnt given up a 300 yard passing game all year and Brady put up over 400 so what happened? How did he play better than other QB vs the team yet not be good enough in your eyes...Dont answer pal. We alreadyknow,.....You are a HATER!!!  Refs an F?!  Let me guess cuz they let CJ be held all game....lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the coaching staff deserves a lower grade. Again starting a game so flat, and not making the needed half time adjustments is on the coaches...I think this is the coaching staffs worse game played to date (right there with the Bengals game)

I also think the secondary grade is too forgiving. I think McCourty played his worst game of the year, taking a few bad angles on plays, and allowing Talib no topside help on Godons long TD play. I also thought Gregory struggled in coverage all day.

While Collins is not a DB, he misplayed the Cameron TD at first biting on the run, and he also was not overly aggresive in tackling Gordon on the end around run allowing Gordon perhaps an additional 10 yards

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Here is my report card:

It's a team sport.  Each side relies on the other.  When the defense prevents a team from scoring it is then up to the offense to put points on the board.  The more points the offense can provide, the more one dimensional the opposing teams offense is likely to become, thereby making it more predictable and, presumably, easier to defend.

How about when the offense scores late in the game to get within a TD, is it the D's job not to give up a 90 yard TD drive?  Brady's fault right?  How about when the offense scores 2 more times and gives the D a lead with 30 seconds and 80 yards to go, is it the D's job not to give up 40 yards in less than 30 seconds only to be bailed out by a missed kick?  Idiot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's a great break down on the game changing on-side kick:

Fozzy had the right idea: Chudzinski said running back Fozzy Whittaker did the right thing by pouncing on the dribbling ball on the onside kick, but just wasn't able to secure the ball.

The Patriots lined up six players to the right of the kicker and four to the left. The Browns covered both sides, leaving the middle open. But instead of a typical kick to the outside, they went with a brilliant middle bunt, in which kicker Stephen Gostowski is actually kicking it to himself. Gostowski ran alongside the dribbling ball, waiting for it to hit the requisite 40 so he could scoop it up. Whittaker pounced toward the ball and it hit him in the gut, but it squirted away from him and the Patriots recovered.

It was the first time in Patriots history that they won the game after recovering an onside kick. The last time they recovered one was in the 1994 wildcard playoff loss -- to Bill Belichick's Browns.

"On the middle bunt -- which they've shown before and done before -- as they start coming in and their guys start covering into the middle, we slide and go and you go get the ball in that case,'' said Chudzinski. "It was a great kick by Gostkowski for that type of kick and we had an opportunity and we just weren't able to come up with the ball.": http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/cleveland_browns_rob_chudzinsk_11.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

One wonders.  What malaise infects the offense in the first half lately?  Is it some sort of mentality they can turn it on when needed or what or is the opposing team more amped up at the start of the game than the Pats?

Starting with the Carolina game, followed by Denver, Houston then Cleveland, all abysmal starts only to fire it up in the second half.  Could we say the team was fortunate to be playing defenses, outside of Cleveland, that were not exactly strong to allow for such comebacks?  The next game against Miami, the Pats also started slow when they played them in Foxboro, scoring only 3 points in the first half.  After Miami, the Ravens are not the sort of team that would crumble in the second half.  Another slow start, 5 games in a row, is a disease! What's the cure?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

How about when the offense scores late in the game to get within a TD, is it the D's job not to give up a 90 yard TD drive?  Brady's fault right?  How about when the offense scores 2 more times and gives the D a lead with 30 seconds and 80 yards to go, is it the D's job not to give up 40 yards in less than 30 seconds only to be bailed out by a missed kick?  Idiot.

If Cleveland had another 7 - 10 seconds, this game would have been lost.  The D showed NO capability to slow the Browns down on their last possession.

Sections
Shortcuts