Browns Could Trade DE Jabaal Sheard or DL Ahtyba Rubin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Browns Could Trade DE Jabaal Sheard or DL Ahtyba Rubin?

They are switching to a 3-4.  I don't know this seems too coincidental.  Lombardi is in Cleveland.  Could they swing something with Mallett?   What do you all think?

Browns Could Trade DE Jabaal Sheard or DL Ahtyba Rubin? Salvador Borboa April 14, 2013 No Comments 

Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland believes the Browns could be open to trading either DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard or DL Ahtyba Rubin

• Grossi points out that both players still have market value and believes Sheard could fetch a second-round pick for the Browns.
    • Grossi adds that he wouldn’t rule out the Browns taking an outside linebacker at No. 6 overall.

With the Browns implementing a new 3-4 defensive scheme, both players could be shopped around for some additional draft picks that they could use to find player who are better fits for Ray Horton‘s defense

Cleveland is currently without a second-round pick after they selected WR Josh Gordon in the 2012 Supplemental Draft. Sheard was taken in the second-round of the 2011 draft, so netting a second-round selection for him would be a reasonable return.

Sheard, 23, has tallied 15.5 sacks in his first two seasons in the league, but interestingly enough, Pro Football Focus had him rated as one of the worst 4-3 defensive ends at rushing the passer last season.

Rubin, 26, was taken in the 2008 draft and has been a starter ever since Shaun Rogers left in 2009. Overall, he’s been strong against the run and has the ability provide some interior pass rush from time-to-time.

While the idea is highly speculative, it could be something to watch as the Browns new regime looks to build a new foundation for the team in this year’s draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Browns Could Trade DE Jabaal Sheard or DL Ahtyba Rubin?

I'd keep Mallett over those guys. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no to either of those guys, unless the browns want to give up phil taylor I'd rather keep mallett

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Phil Taylor for Mallett straight up seems pretty fair... but obviously he appears part of their new 3-4

Sheard and a 4th for Mallett would be a fair trade as well, he could spend time at DE with Nink. If Jones replaced the role Carter had in '11 (and should be even better healthy and no longer a rook) then Sheard would replace the serious pure pass rush that Anderson gave and we didn't have from a combination of Nink, Scott and Cunningham.

We could throw Cunningham and one of our 7th rders into the deal and ask for Cleveland's 3rd.

I wouldn't want Rubin, he'd give us just what Love already does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Mallett has to go. He'll be an UFA next season. If the Pats don't trade him this year, he'll leave  next year...and the Pats will get nothing in return. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patriots have added 4 Defensive line types this offseason. Vega and Bernard are DE's Armstead can play anywhere on the line and they just signed Kelly. I don't think the present priority lies at the D-line. OLB/CLB is more of a concern. DB for depth and developement definately is a need position. Maybe even a Safety for development. Past that WR,TE,OL and maybe even a QB or RB for developement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Mallett has to go. He'll be an UFA next season. If the Pats don't trade him this year, he'll leave  next year...and the Pats will get nothing in return. 

I'd take a 4th rounder over some JAG like those guys. Or take my chances on a compensatory pick if he walks. Or keep him one more year and deal a then 38 year old Brady and make Mallett my QB. That's probably the smart play.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I'd take a 4th rounder over some JAG like those guys. Or take my chances on a compensatory pick if he walks. Or keep him one more year and deal a then 38 year old Brady and make Mallett my QB. That's probably the smart play.

TB's not yet 36.  How does he jump to 38 next year?

And what makes you think Mallet would be better even when TB is 38?

All those completions he had last year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

And Mallett is here for two years so they have next off-season to work on a trade as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

yes my thought/post all year.

ps i know that you are not that insecure that you need to disparage mb. leave it alone and you'll be respected. (and apology would not hurt).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

The Patriots have added 4 Defensive line types this offseason. Vega and Bernard are DE's Armstead can play anywhere on the line and they just signed Kelly. I don't think the present priority lies at the D-line. OLB/CLB is more of a concern. DB for depth and developement definately is a need position. Maybe even a Safety for development. Past that WR,TE,OL and maybe even a QB or RB for developement.

The Pats' two best players on offense and defense, Tom Brady and Vince Wilfolk, have gotten old. There are obvious deficiencies in the secondary, at WR, and on the DL.

The first order of business is to find a defensive lineman who can rush the passer. Next, the secondary, again, needs to be addressed. DT needs to be upgraded...and an eventual replacement must be found for Vince Wilfolk.

Ryan Mallett is not going to be around to replace Tom Brady...as he'll be an UFA next season. So...Mallett must be traded, or will be gone next season, without any compensation. Brady's eventual replacement must be found, and groomed.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

TB's not yet 36.  How does he jump to 38 next year?

And what makes you think Mallet would be better even when TB is 38?

All those completions he had last year?

[QUOTE]

He'll be 38 when Mallett is ready to take over. I should have been more clear. Point is, do you hang on to Brady until the bitter end like the Celtics did with Bird and McHale, or do you do the smart thing and deal him when he's worth something? Does sentimental value trump smart business?

14. This post has been removed.