Browns sign Benjamin Watson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Browns sign Benjamin Watson

Watson, a free agent tight end who played his entire six-year career with the New England Patriots, has signed a three-year deal with the Browns. As first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, it's a $12 million contract with $6.35 million guaranteed.

A league source who confirmed the deal to PFT says the $6.35 million guaranteed will be paid out completely in the first year of the deal.

The 29-year-old Watson played in all 16 games for the Patriots last season, starting seven and catching 29 passes for 404 yards and five touchdowns.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Re: Browns sign Benjamin Watson

In Response to Browns sign Benjamin Watson:
    Watson, a free agent tight end who played his entire six-year career with the New England Patriots, has signed a three-year deal with the Browns. As first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, it's a $12 million contract with $6.35 million guaranteed. A league source who confirmed the deal to PFT says the $6.35 million guaranteed will be paid out completely in the first year of the deal. The 29-year-old Watson played in all 16 games for the Patriots last season, starting seven and catching 29 passes for 404 yards and five touchdowns.
    Posted by NOISE

Hmmm, $6.3 mil the first year. Thats 2.1 mil a game, seeing how he shows up for about 3 games a year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This is a match made in heaven! Watson can't catch a cold and Quinn can't hit an open receiver.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Bye Benjie!  Another over-paid ex-patriot.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginiaBostonFan. Show VirginiaBostonFan's posts

We dont use TE's anyway. Good Luck Watson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

$12 mill, $6.35 mill guaranteed? This is why the Browns continue to be one of the leaders in the league...in making bad business decisions. I wonder if Oakland was in the mix?

JERH5, good math skills.  That about checks out for me, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! 13 MILLION? For Ben Watson?  Is that the going rate for a 30 TE that can't get open and has stones for hands, or are the Browns just that stupid.

For that kind of money they could have had Scalabrine. Would have made about as much sense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The general consensus around here is that Watson blows, and while I don't necessarily agree with that, it's true enough that he either never realized his full potential in New England or the Pats didn't take proper advantage of his skill set or some combination of those two things. In any case, somebody is going to have to line up at tight end for the Pats (even if they're not actually involved in the offense). I wonder who that might be.

Incidentally, I like the Brian Scalabrine reference: It's painful to watch him play, but I'll always remember him for this: "Ten years from now, nobody will remember that I never got off the bench, but I'll still have this ring."

Sections
Shortcuts