Bruce Arians: "The Pistol Will Be Exposed"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Bruce Arians:

In response to RockScully's comment:

Just having the Herd on in the background here this morning and I noticed he feels that the Pistol will go the way of the Wildcat, which is what I've been suggesting.

He said if you give enough film of it, an offseason for the Def Coordinators to study it up and down it will fade away.

He then went on to say that he wouldn't put his pro QB in that position due to fear of injury.

Yep.

SF best win the SB on Sunday, because Kaepernick will need to become a great passer overnight in 2013, very quickly.

Kaepernick, Wilson and RGIII are all pretty good passers.  They are not run first QBs.  Running out of the pistol just forces the defense to maintain better gap discipline.  Most of the handoffs go to the RB anyway just like on any normal running play.  I don't understand why more film would make that go away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Just having the Herd on in the background here this morning and I noticed he feels that the Pistol will go the way of the Wildcat, which is what I've been suggesting.

He said if you give enough film of it, an offseason for the Def Coordinators to study it up and down it will fade away.

He then went on to say that he wouldn't put his pro QB in that position due to fear of injury.

Yep.

SF best win the SB on Sunday, because Kaepernick will need to become a great passer overnight in 2013, very quickly.

Kaepernick, Wilson and RGIII are all pretty good passers.  They are not run first QBs.  Running out of the pistol just forces the defense to maintain better gap discipline.  Most of the handoffs go to the RB anyway just like on any normal running play.  I don't understand why more film would make that go away.

Exactly. In the past, QBs ran more because they were not very good passers or were not good at reading coverages (Vick?). I think this new crop of QBs with motors are different. 

In Kaepernick's case, he may have the deepest ball in all of the NFL.

That said, I would not be surprised if they have shorter careers.

Or maybe we are overreacting because TB could not run four yards to get a first down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Sooner or later Kaepernick is going to get creamed.  

RGIII couldn't make it through his first season without getting hurt because they have plays made specifically for him to run with the ball and he will always look to run when he can't find a receiver.

Russell Wilson is not very tall so he moves around  alot to find openings where he can see between his offensive linemen because he can't see over them.  That being said he will try to find all his reads before taking off.  I think he is the better of the three.

I think Kaepernick takes off as soon as he see's his first read not open.

I heard an Hall of Fame offensive tackle on a radio show (can't remember who it was) say that in general they don't like qb's that run around alot because they don't know where he is or where he's going so they find it difficult to block for him.  If he keeps taking off out of the pocket and he get's sacked it looks like they (the OL) weren't doing their job protecting the QB when they actually were.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Rather have a QB who makes great reads and has accuracy than a QB that can run for 80+ yrds. Thing is both RG III and Wilson have good arms. But yeah it is detrimental to a QBs health to run the read/zone option all the time. I think there is very little film on Kapernick, but teams (DCs) will adjust to stop the read option and contain the QB. Wilson, RG III, and CK, ideally, will become decent pocket passers.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In some sense better defense of the read/option is probably better for the long term health of the QB.  If it is played correctly the QB should be handing it off virtually every time.  I think out of the 3 guys we are talking about really only RGIII was overused in the run game.  The other guys get a lot more rushing yards off broken plays and scrambles than designed runs.  It is one of the reasons that their completion %'s are so high because they can run instead of throwing the ball away.  I don't think it will go away in the sense that it is useful for keeping the defense honest, but I think we'll see less QB carries because defenses will play it better and not crash the inside leaving the lane open for the QB. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In some sense better defense of the read/option is probably better for the long term health of the QB.  If it is played correctly the QB should be handing it off virtually every time.  I think out of the 3 guys we are talking about really only RGIII was overused in the run game.  The other guys get a lot more rushing yards off broken plays and scrambles than designed runs.  It is one of the reasons that their completion %'s are so high because they can run instead of throwing the ball away.  I don't think it will go away in the sense that it is useful for keeping the defense honest, but I think we'll see less QB carries because defenses will play it better and not crash the inside leaving the lane open for the QB. 

But, see, your statement sort of proves the point.  The predictability element of what the Wildcat's intent is or the Pistol will be hard to hide from NFL Def Coordinators.

The Wildcat was cooked by the second time NE faced it in 2008 vs Miami in Miami.

It hasn't been used effectively since.  Considering we've seen a half season of it with SF, it's only a matter of time and I wouldn't be shocked if it had an effect on the SB itself this weekend.

That's a veteran D that Balt has.

See to me it's not a question of hiding which is why I think it will still be effective even if defended properly.  Forcing the defensive ends to maintain their gaps can cause them to hesitate and open up holes for the RBs.  It isn't a coincidence imo that once it was clear RGIII was hobbled in the 1st quarter of that playoff game that Morris was less effective running the ball.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Yep.

whats to stop Kap from getting creamed even if he does hand off to the RB when running the pistol? I could see Willis nailing him the first time he runs it even if he does hand off to Gore

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

whats to stop Kap from getting creamed even if he does hand off to the RB when running the pistol? I could see Willis nailing him the first time he runs it even if he does hand off to Gore

Nothing.  Except the sound of whistles and yellow flags.  Or the fact that if a defender crushes the QB when the ball goes to the RB it means he blew his read.  Honestly most of the handoffs happen well before a defender actually gets there so he is only going to take a consistent pounding if he keeps it.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

think Wilson is more mature than Kaepernick, too. Newton and Kaeperenick are immature and have this arrogance that may hurt them as they go, as well.

Rock, 

I don't get where you think Kaepererick is either immature or arrogant. Please explain this point of view. Are you mistaking confidence for arrogance. 

Hetch

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Yep.

Exactly. Wow!  RKarp says something intelligent!  Shocking!

The many more seconds he does have the ball or in that bang/bang second he doesn't after he hands off, the more the odds go up that he'll be hit that many more times than the average pocket QB.

It's why I knew the Vick move by Reid in Philly would sink Reid. Yep.

Concussion tests are stricter, etc.

If I am Balt on Sunday, I employ the BB gameplan against Faulk and in the Rams in SB 36 in that very building. Just load up to take out Kaepernick and hit him all day long, regardless if he has the ball or not.

Put a spy on Gore (Pollard?) and play man coverage.

You're asking your CBs to play top notch for 4 qtrs, but that is what I would do most of the time.

I also think due to the injury concern, and Kap's low salary, the 49'ers keep Smith on the team next year and pay him his $8.5 million for insurance.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I do think defenses will get better at defending the pistol over the off-season, but I think wilson, RGIII and CK will continue to do well. They are good passers who also happen to run really well. And what interested me was CK and Wilson from what I saw avoided the big hits - they are fast and shifty as opposed to fast and big. RGIII too often tried to be a running back and got clobbered, CK and Wilson got what they could and got down/out of bounds.

I agree that Wilson strikes me as the most 'mature' passer but CK might have the better arm.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Yep.

This is it.  Its not the scheme necessarily, but the players.  Maybe, DC's will figure it out, but the difference, right now, is that Wildcat offenses were used to cover up bad passers who could run.  The QB's who are effectively running the pistol now actually can throw and the play action they use can freeze a defense. 

What may change, however, is that QB's may have a shorter shelf life for the hits that they may take in this system.

Sections
Shortcuts