Bruschi: Patriots must pay Mankins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b4hzd

ESPN's Tedy Bruschi gives his take on the contract dispute keeping two-time Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins from attending this week's voluntary workouts.

Bruschi calls Mankins the Patriots' best offensive lineman and mentions the implications of Mankins' absence in the same breath as injured receiver Wes Welker.

"How will the offense adjust without Mankins?" Bruschi asks. "If they don't have him, they will not be able to protect Tom Brady and that running game will not function. This is a player that needs that contract, deserves that contract. That should be done. I don't blame him for holding out of camp."

Last week, I examined Mankins' frustrating situation with the help of National Football Post president Andrew Brandt, a former Green Bay Packers executive who handled contracts and the salary cap.

Mankins was supposed to be an unrestricted free agent but was one of the 212 players affected by rules for the uncapped season. He instead became classified as a restricted free agent and unable to control his fate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Re: Bruschi: Patriots must pay Mankins

I find it odd that Tedy takes this stand when he himself signed a "home team discount" contract and pizzed off his teammates in doing so. Give Mankins a fair market contract whatever that ends up being....he the best Olinemen we have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

My gut feeling is Mankins signs his tender before the season starts but does not get a long-term deal with NE.   Top guards make around $7 mil per yr and I'm not sure NE wants to go there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

<<Give Mankins a fair market contract whatever that ends up being.>>

I couldn't agree more.  The Pats need the best O-line they can put on the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats want Mankins in camp, but if Mankins is trying to pull an Asante on them he'll follow that same fate as Asante. On the way out! 7 Million for a guard? And on a team that doesn't even run the ball that much? 

Mankins can have a 5 year 20 mill contract, but no more.

When the cap comes back and Mankins is making 7 mill a year, how are we going to afford to keep Brady? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

I'm not a fan of the strong opinions Bruschi has been pushing out lately...  HRK103 pointed out the obvious, and I couldn't agree more.  Where's the #54 I remember?  I feel he's letting his new "power" get to his head...  I'm sure I'll be roasted for saying this, but I just haven't been feeling the love from him lately...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Bruschi has always been a team player and has always done what his team has asked of him. He is just a member of a different team now. So you shouldn't expect "the love" from Bruschi anymore considering what team he went to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

I love Bru as much as the next guy but it really seemed to me that he had a real attitude in that video segment, all most po'd at the patriots.  I wonder is something happned to upset him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: Bruschi: Patriots must pay Mankins:
    I'm not a fan of the strong opinions Bruschi has been pushing out lately...  HRK103 pointed out the obvious, and I couldn't agree more.  Where's the #54 I remember?  I feel he's letting his new "power" get to his head...  I'm sure I'll be roasted for saying this, but I just haven't been feeling the love from him lately...
    Posted by Payment84

I think that Teddy is just trying not to be a homer and over compensating regarding the Pats to avoid that appearance. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

He's been ESPNIZED.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

dude its simple if you do the work, you earned ur right to get paid period

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

So we will have another disgruntled employee in our new and improved Locker Room.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Yeah I don't agree with the whole "ESPN is out to get the Patriots" theory; I think it's a bunch of sour grapes. Rodney seems pretty level headed on NBC and besides, he has always been very honest, (cue steroids joke). You know what I'm saying; Rodney always has and will share his opinions. Tedy on the other hand is just really dedicating himself to his new team at ESPN. Bruschi takes work seriously and maybe sometimes the way he presents himself is embellished by the passion he has.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"What did BB do to Bruschi?   Bruschi has spent his time at ESPN, just hammering every single move BB makes. Every non-move is the worst thing ever and every move they make is awful.

I have lost a lot of respect for Bruschi.

Love the guy as a player, find him ultra annoying as an ESPN yes man. " Russgriswold
    ----------
    "“In the NFL today, you need three good corners,” Bruschi said in a meet-and-greet setting at Mullen, a Boston-based advertising agency. “You have Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler an up-and-comer, and now you have the third corner in Devin McCourty. I think he was a good pick.”  Bruschi

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4678036/tedy-bruschi-assesses-mccourty-pick

Again, fail. Conspiracy theory - fail. He's a reporter. Just because he's a former player for BB doesn't mean he shouldn't be objective when assessing his former team/coach. Besides, his job is basically to "sell" ads - negativity/drama sells.

http://search.espn.go.com/results?searchString=tedy%20bruschi&start=15&dims=0

Brown noser - confirmed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I think you guys need to lighten up a bit.  I do understand that when a former and very recent all-timer calls out your team it hurts, but unlike Gayle Sayers' comments re: the bears, Bruschi now plays for another team where Sayers does not. 

Rtuinilla has it right.  Bruschi is now like Samuel or Seymour, and he is just doing his job.  You don't expect Belichick to go soft on the Jets or Giants or Browns just because he previously coached there do you? 

Heck he even won a super bowl with the Gian...wait a minute...hmmmmm...never mind.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Bruschi is Just a "Stepford" Analyst like everyone else at ESPN. Eventually the peer pressure from the rest of the idiots kicks in and you turn into a robot.

We should just hook Mankins up long term but the Pats seem to milk everything out when it comes to contracts.

The Pats owe Matt light 4.5 Million this year. Now there is a contract we could do without.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I loved Bruschi as a player but he just does not really understand the whole picture of running a football organization. Sure Mankins deserves to be paid. Why not? Well he may deserve to be paid but there are other players also trying to get paid and the guard position just isn't the kind of position that is going to get big money on the Patriots team. 

There are always quality 3rd and 4th round choices for that position in every draft. The tackle position is a different matter. 

I love Mankins and I want him playing here. We have a lot of great rookies coming in at other positions that perhaps we can actually afford to overpay a bit for his position knowing that we have a great crop of rookies and 2nd year players who may take starting roles allowing cuts to higher paid veterans over the next couple years. The Pats just don't overpay which has allowed them to remain competetive year after year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Keep in mind the Pats recent drafts may not have been great but they have done very well developing Ol players they have drafted. They have done better drafting this position than probably any other recently. 

I think what we are going to see is a 1 year deal with Mankins then draft the position next year. OL will be a big focus next year and probably a 1st round running back. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not convinced that ESPN is conspiring to 'get' the Pats but there does seem to be a bit more negative focus on the Pats than on other teams.  Or perhaps that's simply our take as Pats fans.  Regardless, Tedy's not a Patriot now, he's an analyst and probably has been instructed to be careful that he does not show bias in favor of the Pats.  Let's see how he does over the long haul.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"Anyone here who doesn't think the newspaper business isn't struggling and where the suits don't give corporate directives is mildly retarded. Sorry.

It has nothing to do with conspiracies. It has to do with making money.

Watch out, EWhite!  Intelligent Waldork and ChubbyinHawaii claim you have a conspiracy theory!"
    -----
    "What did BB do to Bruschi?   Bruschi has spent his time at ESPN, just hammering every single move BB makes. Every non-move is the worst thing ever and every move they make is awful.

I have lost a lot of respect for Bruschi.

Love the guy as a player, find him ultra annoying as an ESPN yes man. " Russgriswold
    ----------
    "“In the NFL today, you need three good corners,” Bruschi said in a meet-and-greet setting at Mullen, a Boston-based advertising agency. “You have Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler an up-and-comer, and now you have the third corner in Devin McCourty. I think he was a good pick.”  Bruschi

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4678036/tedy-bruschi-assesses-mccourty-pick

Again, fail. Conspiracy theory - fail. He's a reporter. Just because he's a former player for BB doesn't mean he shouldn't be objective when assessing his former team/coach. Besides, his job is basically to "sell" ads - negativity/drama sells.

http://search.espn.go.com/results?searchString=tedy%20bruschi&start=15&dims=0

Brown noser - confirmed.

BUBBA
    -----------

No, no, no.  Ewhite is cool.....he's not paranoid....and he's not dripping with brown stuff all over his head.

Stop blaming others for your inability to support your non-lucid statements. The only person who's to blame is you - admit it...you were wrong (again) about Bruschi. It's all there in black and white.

U come out for air yet?

The fact that you try to drag EWhite into comments that were CLEARLY not directed to him, speaks volumes about YOU.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

@russgriswold, I agree with your take on Bruschi. Hate the fact he referred to the snow game as the tuck rule game!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

@russgriswold, I agree with your take on Bruschi. Hate the fact he referred to the snow game as the tuck rule game!
    Posted by Patriots1970

If memory serves me correctly, Bruschi wasn't the first person to use that term - quite a few others have used that term. Shootz, i use that term...so, it can't mean that much other than it's an easy way to identify the game where the subsequent "rule" came from.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Bubba,

Sorry for the correction but the "tuck" rule was instituted long before that game and it was called against the Pats earlier that season. Therefore the rule did not "subsequently" come from that game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Bruschi: Patriots must pay Mankins : If memory serves me correctly, Bruschi wasn't the first person to use that term - quite a few others have used that term. Shootz, i use that term...so, it can't mean that much other than it's an easy way to identify the game where the subsequent "rule" came from.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Me too Bubba.. I'm proud of the tuck rule game. It was about time the Refs got a call correct for us in the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Anyone here who doesn't think the newspaper business isn't struggling and where the suits don't give corporate directives is mildly retarded. Sorry. It has nothing to do with conspiracies. It has to do with making money. Watch out, EWhite!  Intelligent Waldork and ChubbyinHawaii claim you have a conspiracy theory! lol
    Posted by russgriswold

You should here my Political conspiracy theories! LOL

You know what's funny is the only time I hear what Bruschi says is when I read it on this forum. ESPN almost makes my skin crawl when I watch it now. The NFL Network is much more Palatable.....Except for Marshall faulk..Even Deion is better than ESPN Football guys.

Sections
Shortcuts