Bruschi's take

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Bruschi's take

I thought Bruschi's take on the Wes/Amendola situation was spot on and echoed the sentiment from the players in the locker room...

Bruschi:

Bruschi was asked his thoughts on owner Robert Kraft's remarks at the NFL's annual meeting.

"I was very surprised at the detail, very surprised at the emotion he was exuding as he talked about it," Bruschi answered. "He actually brought up numbers -- millions of dollars, eight here, six there, contract details, and that's not really what the Patriots do. To see him talk so openly about it, I was surprised. It almost makes me think how emotionally involved Mr. Kraft got into this one, maybe a little bit more than other negotiations. Very surprised by how candid he was and how much information he gave."

Bruschi was then asked if it ever bothered him as a player to hear about the Patriots' financial discipline.

"As professional athletes and football players, we succeed on emotion and passion. This is a sport where you need those type of traits to succeed in the NFL," he said. "You're that type of person also, so to hear Mr. Kraft talk about financial discipline and boundaries, emotionally you disagree with it. But my sense of logic says that's the way it has to be.

"It's easy to say this, 'If you really wanted Wes Welker back, you would have paid him. You would have gave him what he wanted.' But that's not their formula. They want him back, but on their terms -- 'this is what a receiver that is a certain age that we feel is going to have this [many] years left, this is how much we think you're worth.' Then they stick to those guns, that financial discipline that he's talking about, the boundaries that they set, and if you're not willing to do that you have to find somewhere else to work. That's what Wes did."

Bruschi was asked if he thinks quarterback Tom Brady is upset.

"The moves they're making are still fluid -- signing [Danny] Amendola, signing [Aqib] Talib, other needs on the roster. Tom Brady is an emotional person, too, and I think he's going to miss Wes. Wes was a good friend of his. His first choice, just like Mr. Kraft said, would have been Wes Welker. But the agreement couldn't be struck. I think Tom is going to miss [him] in that offense, especially if Amendola can't stay healthy. [Rob] Gronkowski has been out in the postseason. [Aaron] Hernandez has been hurt. It's like, 'who's reliable?' Welker was durable. Welker was reliable. How many times did he take a hit and get up? How many times have I seen Amendola take a hit and miss multiple weeks?

"Similar? Yes. Same college, similar athletes in the slot. But durability is a different trait. When somebody can take a hit and get up, and someone can't, that's a huge difference. We'll see if Amendola can stay on the field."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Bruschi's take

I agree with Bruschi. My major concern with Amendola is his injury history and that's why I don't consider him a Welker replacement in the least (appearent Kraft didn't either since Welker was his 1st choice). Welker was durable and could take hits, Amendola has only finished 1/4 of his possible games in the last 2 season (notice I said finish not started). Even Jones has an injury history. Right now they don't have a reliable receiver that you know will be there week in and week out. Heck even or RB receiver (Vereen) has injury question marks compared to the guy he's replacing (Woodhead). Given the Pats are usually one of the more beat up teams in the league this should be a major concern for us

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Bru has an anti BB agenda?

Wow!  Just wow!

So your knowledge of the inner workings of the Pats organization, trumps someone who actually has knowledge from being with the team for years?

It's very obvious who has the agenda and it's not Bru.

Does mental illness run in your family?   Serious question....

You are correct, though, this is not 2007.  Looks a whole lot like 2006, but 2007?  NO WAY!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

NE's 1st choice at the money they allocated which was 5 per. I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if the plan was to keep Welker at the 5 and ALSO bring in Amendola at the 6.  In fact, that's what happened most likely.

Again, NE buys on the way up, not the way down.

Next, there was a catch in the Ravens game and I cringed, as everyone else probably did. Brady floated out to the strong side about 12 yards downfield outside the hash. Welker caught it and got drilled, basically in the chest area and it clearly stunned him. He held onto it. We all know is toughness.

This was right before his drop, wide open on 3rd and 7.

Enough is enough. This obsesssive targeting to 1 or 2 guys just like how the Rams did it with Amendola, isn't a good thing. So, if you bring in more weapons Brady likes where more can run routes from the X Y and Z, the less predictable our passing game can be.

Add in a continued commitment to running, Ballard, Fiametta in on plays in traditional sets and these guys aren't left so exposed.

Go look at how Brady led this offense on those You Tube videos from yesteryear. Look at the differences.

They wanted to change the offense last year, they did it a bit with more running, but it wasn't enough.  Expect more of a commitment to that this year (hopefully), none of this 40+ passes with leads so we lose, and more balance.

It will be nice having two blokcing TEs who can catch and a FB who can block and maybe can catch some balls, too.

They were showing a clip yesterday about the crown of the helmet rule and they used Seattle Fb Michael Robinson as an example. He caught a  ball in the flat, ran for 5 yards and bowled over Tim Jennings.

Give me that, please.

I too think they were going to bring in Amendola, regardless.  Another reason why Welker left.  The writing on the wall early last season was there, something has happened to where they were moving away from Welker who was the most dependable, productive player on offense.  I don't get it. It would have been very hard to reach those incentives they dangled out there for Welker on his contract if he returned and they started Amendola over him.  Plus it would have been very frustrating as a fan to see Welker on the bench instead of out on the field.  It has nothing to do with drops, his drop rate was fine.  I am a bit surprised they have not signed Edelman yet for the back up to Amendola.  But he is still available and we will see what happens there. Could be the reason they brought in Jones. He is more of a slot guy then a wide out.

You mention NE buys on the way up, not on the way down.  Amendola will be 28 this season, it's not like he is a 22 year old player on the way up.  He will be 28, he was on his way up a few years ago and has been hampered by injuries, it's a big risk they took here.  You can't even call it a high risk, high reward.  What does he give you that would be a higher reward then what Welker gave?  

It's possibly that they will be taking a different approach on offense this season.  One thing for sure is it will be interesting to finally see what their plan is.  I already can't wait for the season to begin!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I thought Bruschi's take on the Wes/Amendola situation was spot on and echoed the sentiment from the players in the locker room...

Bruschi:

Bruschi was asked his thoughts on owner Robert Kraft's remarks at the NFL's annual meeting.

"I was very surprised at the detail, very surprised at the emotion he was exuding as he talked about it," Bruschi answered. "He actually brought up numbers -- millions of dollars, eight here, six there, contract details, and that's not really what the Patriots do. To see him talk so openly about it, I was surprised. It almost makes me think how emotionally involved Mr. Kraft got into this one, maybe a little bit more than other negotiations. Very surprised by how candid he was and how much information he gave."

Bruschi was then asked if it ever bothered him as a player to hear about the Patriots' financial discipline.

"As professional athletes and football players, we succeed on emotion and passion. This is a sport where you need those type of traits to succeed in the NFL," he said. "You're that type of person also, so to hear Mr. Kraft talk about financial discipline and boundaries, emotionally you disagree with it. But my sense of logic says that's the way it has to be.

"It's easy to say this, 'If you really wanted Wes Welker back, you would have paid him. You would have gave him what he wanted.' But that's not their formula. They want him back, but on their terms -- 'this is what a receiver that is a certain age that we feel is going to have this [many] years left, this is how much we think you're worth.' Then they stick to those guns, that financial discipline that he's talking about, the boundaries that they set, and if you're not willing to do that you have to find somewhere else to work. That's what Wes did."

Bruschi was asked if he thinks quarterback Tom Brady is upset.

"The moves they're making are still fluid -- signing [Danny] Amendola, signing [Aqib] Talib, other needs on the roster. Tom Brady is an emotional person, too, and I think he's going to miss Wes. Wes was a good friend of his. His first choice, just like Mr. Kraft said, would have been Wes Welker. But the agreement couldn't be struck. I think Tom is going to miss [him] in that offense, especially if Amendola can't stay healthy. [Rob] Gronkowski has been out in the postseason. [Aaron] Hernandez has been hurt. It's like, 'who's reliable?' Welker was durable. Welker was reliable. How many times did he take a hit and get up? How many times have I seen Amendola take a hit and miss multiple weeks?

"Similar? Yes. Same college, similar athletes in the slot. But durability is a different trait. When somebody can take a hit and get up, and someone can't, that's a huge difference. We'll see if Amendola can stay on the field."

Your hi-lited type is exactly the concern the Pats/fans should have . We will know in the fullness of time.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

Your hi-lited type is exactly the concern the Pats/fans should have . We will know in the fullness of time.

Then perhaps the best way to ensure that is for TB to spread the wealth... That way, opposing Ds don't focus so much on one particular "playmaker". 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Yep - Bruschi is understandably a pats homer.  Have to consider that every time he talks about the pats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think what Bruschi said, is what the players are wondering. Wes was out there every day, regardless. Not many players are. For $1M per year, the Pats walked away from this toughness and reliability. Bruschi, politically speaking, is saying that sends the wrong message to the locker room.

I am not saying this is what Suggs was talking about, but in context, if Bruschi sees it, the other Pats see it, and other teams players see it as well.

Rusty says the offense is changing away from the middle of the field. I think the time for that conversation is when the team aquires players that can operate on the sides and long. So far, the team does not have those players. In addition, Brady has to be on the same page with any of these types of players, and that also has proven to be very hit and miss...

It would not surprise me at all if the Pats line up in the fall with Amendola, Hern, Edelman and a draft choice that never sees the field, with either Stallworth or Slater getting some snaps as well...and the Pats are the same offense playing the middle of the field. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

When Bruschi took over at ESPN in 2010, MANY people here including myself saw the predisposed ESPN, canned anti-BB agenda as part of the schtick.

Wasn't just me. So, apparently, many on this board have mental illness, too. LOL

He's scaled it back a bit since then, but I'd be mortified going from NE to ESPN the very outlet that basically did everyting in its power to destroy your SB season in 2007 with a series of lies, perpetuating what was in fact, a witch hunt.  Bruschi sold out to ESPN.

But, Tedy wanted the highest paycheck he could get (which is fine) and to not move his kids. Super.

He was praising the Jets in 2010 while bashing BB after BB dealt away Seymour and Vrabel (because he had to). RKarp was also praising the Jets which I thought was very odd, but then I realized he sounded JUST like Bruschi, which is what led me to sniff out that Karp works with ESPN.

Pretty cool, huh?

And here we are.  BB has to make another financial decision what is best for the TEAM and Bruschi sides with the player not the team element factor he so readily brags about on ESPN.

Welker made his choice to leave by thinking he deserved more money. 

Finally, I have yet to hear Bruschi ONCE, ONCE talk about Brady's AWFUL postseasons in recent years in his analysis at ESPN.

Just because a person questions a players durability, as MILLIONS ARE, does not make him a BB basher.

The question is legit and the reason for it was explained.  You are a fool not to admit this team doesn't  consistently have durability issues.  It does.  You just listed a few but when you constantly pick up injury prone players, does that help the issue?  Nope!  It makes it worse and praying an often injured player stays healthy is foolish.  Most sane people would question this.  Do you expect RasI or Edelman or Vollmer to stay on the field for a whole season?  Welker has for 6 years.  There's a HUGE difference.

You have an illness for equating every single question, to BB bashing.  It's sick!

In your constant TB bashing, you actually bash BB WAY more than Bru does.

Bb makes the decisions.  The shotgun is one of them, yet you are too obtuse to recognize or admit that.  Why did BB extend the reason we lost 2 SB's for another 3 years?  Did he suddenly lose his sac?

Is he an idiot?  By your reasoning, he is.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

But, he's still on his way up especially when you compare the QBs (Bradford vs Brady) and the overall weaponry. Amendola was targeted too much in STL.  Same thing with Welker here.

I mentioned this when his name came up and I said that it was Bradford's favorite WR.  Here, he will be 1 of 3 to start (Gronk, Hern) but the difference is that he spreads the field WIDE. He can line up on the outside, where Welker couldn;t be a threat there.

So, 28, 29, 30 and 31 with Brady vs Bradford.  This is what NE does. They look at a player's production the team, etc, and say "what if he was here"?

Bruschi has a "I played with that guy" bias in his analysis.  He always does it and he lacks objectivity.

You keep throwing around the QB comparisons, sure there is a difference between TFB and Bradford but we are talking a slot position here.  You don't need to be one of the top QB's to have success with a slot receiver.  Bradford isn't a scrub.  Bradford's comp % is right there in line with Mattew Staffords comp %.  Heck, Bradfords qb rating was even higher then staffords last season.  I think Calvin Johnson has been having pretty good seasons with Stafford.  So the QB compare is pretty bogus argument, imo.  But hey, keep spinning, keep throwing out excuses that don't measure up.  Keep talking out your butt, we come to expect that from you here.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Utmost respect for Tedy Bruschi here and I respect his take.  I also respect the views of those who have expressed concern over Amandola's injuries; they have reason to do so.  

Call me Polyanna, but I take both of Amendola's serious injuries with a very large grain of salt. For one thing I can't find any indication that Amendola was injured during his years at Texas Tech.  If anyone else can, I'd truly appreciate it if you can point me to the source.  

Secondly, both his collarbone injury and his elbow injury, which seem to be be what folks are alluding to in calling him an injury risk, were suffered on what an NFLPA survey identified as one of the worst artificial surfaces in the league.  The elbow was dislocated in a home game against Philly in 2011 and the collarbone injured in a home game against Arizona in 2012.  Google 2010 NFL PLAYERS PLAYING SURFACES OPINION SURVEY. It comes up as PDF of the survey results.  Interesting info.

Finally, and I know this will probably draw more fire than anything else in this post, I can't believe that BB would pursue and sign as his first move in free agency, a football player that he thought would not be able to stay on the field.  If he considered Amendola a significant injury risk then he probably either wouldn't have signed him or he would have inked him to something akin to the Talib deal.  Are there playing conditions in Amendola's contract? Yep and I consider that simple due diligence.  

Am I ignoring the injuries?  Certainly not; I think they're worthy of note and I'm taking a wait and see attitude toward Amendola and his durability. 

My 2 cents.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

But, he's still on his way up especially when you compare the QBs (Bradford vs Brady) and the overall weaponry. Amendola was targeted too much in STL.  Same thing with Welker here.

I mentioned this when his name came up and I said that it was Bradford's favorite WR.  Here, he will be 1 of 3 to start (Gronk, Hern) but the difference is that he spreads the field WIDE. He can line up on the outside, where Welker couldn;t be a threat there.

So, 28, 29, 30 and 31 with Brady vs Bradford.  This is what NE does. They look at a player's production the team, etc, and say "what if he was here"?

Bruschi has a "I played with that guy" bias in his analysis.  He always does it and he lacks objectivity.

You keep throwing around the QB comparisons, sure there is a difference between TFB and Bradford but we are talking a slot position here.  You don't need to be one of the top QB's to have success with a slot receiver.  Bradford isn't a scrub.  Bradford's comp % is right there in line with Mattew Staffords comp %.  Heck, Bradfords qb rating was even higher then staffords last season.  I think Calvin Johnson has been having pretty good seasons with Stafford.  So the QB compare is pretty bogus argument, imo.  But hey, keep spinning, keep throwing out excuses that don't measure up.  Keep talking out your butt, we come to expect that from you here.

Jesus H. Christ. If I hear one more uneducated person babble that Amendola is only a slot guy like Wes....

Please do your homework before engaging in a debate. You CLEARLY have no idea that Amendola is a perimeter guy as much as a slot guy which is what makes him attractive for BB and McDaniels.  Lining up in mulitple spots and running clean routes is the key.

I didn't say Bradford was a scrub, but STL did not have anwywhere the threats around Amendola that Wes did here.

Do you want to learn about this game Mr 2001 or not? 

Where do you get the idea WW is only a slot reciever?   He had 13 catches over 20 ly (same as gronk), more ypg, more TD's, (DA has 7 in 4 yrs ???)  DA aslo had 3 fumbles in 11 games last year.  AWESOME!  He can keep the bench warm with Riddley.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts