Buccaneers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Buccaneers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

The Patriots ran their record to (3-0), with a workman-like 23-3 win over the hapless Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Foxborough. With this win comes an end to the preliminary matches during the 2013 season. The big time officially begins next week, when the Patriots travel to Atlanta to play the desperate (1-2) Falcons, before traveling to Cincinnati to play the talent enriched, (2-1) Bengals, before coming home to face the currently (3-0) Saints and Drew Brees, who always seems to have their number. 

I also wish to congratulate a good guy, in former Patriots' QB Brian Hoyer, for leading Cleveland to a 27-20 road win over the Minnesota Vikings, on his first start of the season for the Browns. I wish him all the best.

That said, here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: After a truly horrific first quarter of play, the "O" finally got untracked, and scored enough points to put this game on ice.

1.) QB: Tom Brady was hurried, harried, and out of sync early on. Once again, he was being hit far to often, and was not on the same page with his novice receivers. Fortunately, his defense, and the inept Tampa offense, kept the Patriots in the game until he settled down in the second quarter, and started moving the team. Tom was again uncharacteristically inaccurate at times, missing wide open receivers. He still isn't converting on third down, as the Pats were a mere 6 for 15. He also made one of the most unforgivable mistakes that a QB can make, in throwing a redzone interception, early in the third quarter. For the game, Brady completed 25 of 36 passes for just 225 yards, two TDs, and the aforementioned pick. Folks, the Pats' averaged a putrid 6 yards per completion today, which represented a high for the three games played this season! Save for that awful pick, Tom did a good job of managing the game. But one has to wonder whether performances like this are going to be good enough against the better, higher scoring teams. The offense is still leaving far too many points on the field, and needs more from their dynamic QB: GRADE: C;

2.) RBs: Stevan Ridley looked indecisive in his cuts, and a tad slow in hitting the holes that were afforded him. Averaging 3.2 yards per run (11 carries for 35 yards) is not going to get it done. Fortunately, former Buc RB LeGarrette Blount was far more effective, gaining 65 yards on 14 carries. There was also a Brandon Bolden citing, as Bolden chipped in with 51 yards on just 3 carries, one of which was a 46 yard jaunt on the Pats' initial second half drive. This Bolden bolt should have lead to points. But, the Brady redzone pick short-circuited that. Bolden also had 5 receptions for 49 yards, coming out of the backfield. His overall solid performance will likely lead to more touches next week in Atlanta: GRADE: B;

3.) OL: After a rocky start in the first quarter, in which they weren't opening up running lanes and weren't adequately protecting their QB, the Big Uglies got their act together, and pretty much dominated the remainder of the game. The Patriots' offense seemingly kept the ball away from the Tampa offense for the entire 4th quarter: GRADE: B+;

4.) TEs and WRs: Though the TEs weren't a huge part of the offense, "the Hooman" had two receptions for 31 yards, and though Zach Sudfels had no catches, Tom Brady badly misfired towards him, after he had gotten open deep, early in the second quarter. Regarding the WRs, Aaron Dobson had seven (7) catches for 52 yards with a bad drop...but also was a victim of an errant Brady throw. Julian Edelman had a dependable seven (7) catches for 44 yards. Though   Kembrell Thompson had only three (3) receptions for 41 yards, two of them were for TDs: GRADE: B-;

II. DEFENSE: Though this unit has yet to be tested by a big-time QB, they once again got the job done. They contained RB Doug Martin, holding him to 88 yards on 20 carries, and had little trouble with QB Josh Freeman...though their secondary was aided on several occasions by WR drops, and poor Freeman throws.

1.) DL: Solid effort by D Tommie Kelly, both against the run, and in applying pressure to the Tampa QB. He finished with .5 sack, and had two (2) QB hits. Chandler Jones recorded another sack, and had two (2) QB hits. DE Rob Ninkovich had .5 sack, and participated in five (5) tackles. After a somewhat tepid first quarter, this crew pretty much dominated the line of scrimmage: GRADE: B;

2.) LBs: Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes cleaned up nearly everything that got past the DL, combining for 16 tackles, including 10 solos...with Mayo adding a sack. Decent job of coverage against RB Doug Martin, and what the Bucs had at TE. Pretty much a ho-hum day for the rest of the LBs, as Mayo and Spikes hit everything in sight: GRADE: B+;

3.) SECONDARY: Just how good is this group, really? We'll find out next Sunday night, when they tangle with QB Matt Ryan, throwing to the likes of Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez. Though they held the Bucs to just 236 yards through the air, the Tampa receivers appeared to be getting open. The secondary was aided by an early game ending injury to WR Vincent Jackson, several dropped balls that should have been caught, and some poor throws by a QB, who soon may be out of a job. The deep patrol gave up three passes of 20 yards or longer, and seemed to have particular problems with Jackson, prior to his injury, and WR Mike Williams, who had five (5) catches for 65 yards. Still, any time a "D" holds an NFL team to just three (3) points, it's time for passing out cigars. Key interception by Aqib Talib in the closing seconds of the first half shut down any Tampa momentum, and led to a last second Gostkowski 53 yard FG, giving the Pats a 17-3 halftime lead: GRADE: B;

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Great game from the much maligned "Ghost", who made his presence known with three (3) FGs of 34, 46, and 53 yards...the later to end the first half. Once again Gostkowski's deep kick-offs prevented the possibility of any momentum changing run-backs. With Pats' special teams' ace Matthew Slater out with an injury, this was of great importance. The punting by Ryan Allen left something to be desired, and needs to get be better. Typical great job of punt returing by Julian Edelman, who averaged 15 yards on two returns: GRADE: A-;

IV. COACHING: The offense can ill afford another slow start next week in Atlanta. My guess is that Gronk will return, next week. Though that should get Brady's juices flowing, something needs to be done about improving the route running of the younger guys, and in doing something to "take the top off" the opposing defense...so as to free up the running lanes on play action, and the medium range slants that the Pats run across the middle of the field. Despite all the talk of finding a legitimate deep threat to open up the field and gain respect for play-action, nothing of substance appears to have been done. Another poster has opined about a possible trade for Tampa WR, Vincent Jackson. Don't be surprised is this type of move gets explored. It's hard to criticize anything that BB had done, other than his personnel moves. He seems to be getting the most from his defense, and, as long as Tom Brady is around, the offense will eventually find a way: GRADE: B;  

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: Not a very exciting game, overall. But, if I have to pick one play that was the biggest of the big, I'll go with the 4th down conversion by the Patriots on a 4th and 2 from the Tampa 37 yard line, during the Pats first drive in the 2nd quarter. Operating from the shot-gun, Brady hit rookie WR Aaron Dobson by the sideline for a six (6) yard completion, and a first down. The play seemed to give the offense a kick in the backside...as they would thereafter travel the remaining 31 yards on 4 plays for a TD, on a Brady to Thompkins 16 yard catch and run play. The TD gave the Pats a 7-3 lead, and, seemingly, control of the game.

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: The nominees are Jerod Mayo, Aqib Talib, and "The Ghost". But, I'm going to go outside of the box, and award the game ball collectively to the Big Uglies who, by and large, controlled the game.         

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330922017

As always, your thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Good night!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Buccaneers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

Good analysis.  Thanks for sharing as always.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

very nice analysis, hard to disagree with any of it. Thanks TP.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good job, TP!

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Can't disagree w/ anything TP good analysis. I also am looking at next Sun night as a big test for our secondary and D. Curious to see how we hold up against Ryan & crew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Nice job on this TP, but you've got obviously way too much time on your hands to be doing this.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Thanks for the game report card TP.  Your assessments and what the team needs to look at moving forward are right on the money.  Well done!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd raise Brady's grade a little (C+). The int was horrible but I do think he got some good things rolling with the rooks once he got over those first couple of series.

I'm also really disappointed with the RZ so far this year for the O. This is the worst I've ever seen our RZ O since pre Brady. I think coaching needs to take a hit for that and drop down to a C+

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The real difference between this team and the teams of the recent past is the defence.  I can't wait to see how they hold up against better offenses, but so far they look much more reliable than what we've seen over the past four or five seasons.  The usual suspects seem to think the offense is improved -- apparently because it scores less and punts more -- but that's still very much a work in progress.  I'm hearing people get giddy over I formation runs.  Yes, there were at least two of those that were good.  But the real change in the offense is the use of three receiver sets.  We're doing much more of that, and while both Brady and his receivers were off at times yesterday, I think that's going to be the real positive down the road.  We have a team that can challenge defenses over the entire field now, and that's been a problem for us in recent years. I think there was great progress with Dobson and Thompkins yesterday and if it continues (and Brady gets back to his usual form), this will be a very good offense by mid season.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Good report

For not seeing the game - the fact that so many agree with you shows there is a true consensus

Brady -He had a 90 rating - sort of high for a C grade. However TB has been a little inconsistent this whole year

And as you mentioned  the toouh part of the season is coming - the next 3 weeks. Then the Jests in NYC and Miami -2 who is for real, Houston, Broncos  and Baltimore - This is the toughest schedule that they have hasd in some time. May be the toughrest in the NFl

Every one of these teams plus the Panthers have a really good front 7

Very interesting

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The Patriots ran their record to (3-0), with a workman-like 23-3 win over the hapless Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in Foxborough. With this win comes an end to the preliminary matches during the 2013 season. The big time officially begins next week, when the Patriots travel to Atlanta to play the desperate (1-2) Falcons, before traveling to Cincinnati to play the talent enriched, (2-1) Bengals, before coming home to face the currently (3-0) Saints and Drew Brees, who always seems to have their number. 

VI. PLAYER OF THE GAME: The nominees are Jerod Mayo, Aqib Talib, and "The Ghost". But, I'm going to go outside of the box, and award the game ball collectively to the Big Uglies who, by and large, controlled the game.         

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330922017

Cant Disagree with much here Tex. You called it straight. Brady had about 4 to 5 bad passes out there. A few were just normal misses from dealing with new targets. What I am concerned about is how often Brady is now throwing balls in the dirt. Its been showing up a little the last couple years and thats how McNabb looked the last couple of years before he retired. Now Brady only does it here and there but he needs to work on his mechanics. Missed a TD pass due to low throw. Missed 2 wide open guys and had another couple bad reads but def. lead the team when they needed. If he is gonna get on his recievers, he needs to throw a good ball when they do right

I like the defensive effort again. I was calling for Mayo blitzes and I saw a lot of them along w/SPikes up the middle again. Very solid gameplan defensively aided by Jackson leaving the game. Bucs killed themselves but we will take the win and keep pushing. Dobson and KT are really showing that they can consistently get open. I can imagine what the offense is gonna look like  by midseason. Good Solid Win! The real 1st test could be vs Cincy and not Atlanta though

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Brady gets an A.  Just because.

If it were any other QB (other that the few really top ones), yesterday would have deserved a B+.  However, it was Brady back there and I saw one stupid INT, one total misread when he threw a flutterball to Sudfied in double coverage when both Dobson and Thompkins where 15 yards behind the defenders, and several balls thrown five yards off target that would have been easy catches if thrown well.  It was a decent performance for a normal QB.  For Brady, we have to judge by Brady standards, and it was a C+.

I also didn't like the immediate use of the shotgun.  That totally takes away the play action -- which Brady is very good at.  Things started working a lot better in the second quarter when there was mixture of under center and shotgun.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

TP

What DB did KT get his TDs on?

Who had Dobson on the 4th down?

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

good report. Agreed.

Next 3 weeks will be interesting..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

1st TD from KT was a drag route where he just ran thru the defense across the field and Brady found him in stride. He put his foot in the dirt and immediately went upfield from the 15, made another juke on the run on Goldson at the 5 and slithered by another for a walk in TD. The second one, he was running the back of the endzone and came back on a scramble drill and Brady hit him perfectly

The 4th down catch by Dobson, Revis was in off man coverage or playing 3 deep zone as he gave him some space and Dobson ran a great route breaking off a square out. One thing about Dobson though, he bobbles most of his catches. He needs to focus more, but I like what he is doing. Both He and KT look like 1a and 1b in terms of being a # WR. Just different skill sets. KT had a drop trying to run before he caught it. Those things will get better. They are both Dynamic Players, that is evident.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Good report and thanks.  No marcus cannon mention.?

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I also wish to congratulate a good guy, in former Patriots' QB Brian Hoyer, for leading Cleveland to a 27-20 road win over the Minnesota Vikings, on his first start of the season for the Browns. I wish him all the best.

That said, here are my grades:

I. OFFENSE: After a truly horrific first quarter of play, the "O" finally got untracked, and scored enough points to put this game on ice.

1.) QB: Tom Brady was hurried, harried, and out of sync early on. Once again, he was being hit far to often, and not on the same page with his novice receivers. Fortunately, his defense, and the inept Tampa offense, kept the Patriots in the game until Tom settled down in the second quarter, and started moving the team. Brady was again uncharacteristically inaccurate at times, missing wide open receivers. He still isn't converting on third down, as the Pats were a mere 6 for 15. Tom also made one of the most unforgivable mistakes that a QB can make, in throwing a redzone interception, early in the third quarter. For the game, Brady completed 25 of 36 passes for just 225 yards, two TDs, and the aforementioned pick. Folks, the Pats' averaged a putrid 6 yards per completion today, which represented a high for the three games played this season! Save for that awful pick, Tom did a good job of managing the game. But one has to wonder whether performances like this are going to be good enough against the better, higher scoring teams. The offense is still leaving far too many points on the field, and needs more from their dynamic QB: GRADE: C;

2.) RBs: Stevan Ridley looked indecisive in his cuts, and a tad slow in hitting what holes were afforded him. Averaging 3.2 yards per run (11 carries for 35 yards) is not going to get it done. Fortunately, former Buc RB LeGarrette Blount was far more effective, gaining 65 yards on 14 carries. There was also a Brandon Bolden citing, as Bolden chipped in with 51 yards on just 3 carries, one of which was a 46 yard jaunt on the Pats' initial second half drive. This Bolden bolt should have lead to points. But, the Brady redzone pick short-circuited that. Bolden also had 5 receptions for 49 yards, coming out of the backfield. His overall solid performance will likely lead to more touches next week in Atlanta: GRADE: B;

3.) OL: After a rocky start in the first quarter, in which they weren't opening up running lanes and weren't adequately protecting their QB, the Big Uglies got their act together, and pretty much dominated the remainder of the game. The Patriots' offense seemingly kept the ball away from the Tampa offense for the entire 4th quarter: GRADE: B+;

4.) TEs and WRs: Though the TEs weren't a huge part of the offense, "the Hooman" had two receptions for 31 yards, and though Zach Sudfels had no catches, Tom Brady badly misfired towards him, after he had gotten open deep, early in the second quarter. Regarding the WRs, Aaron Dobson had seven (7) catches for 52 yards with a bad drop...but also was a victim of an errant Brady throw. Julian Edelman had a dependable seven (7) catches for 44 yards. Though   Kembrell Thompson had only three (3) receptions for 41 yards, two of them were for TDs: GRADE: B-;

II. DEFENSE: Though this unit has yet to be tested by a big-time QB, they once again got the job done. They contained RB Doug Martin, holding him to 88 yards on 20 carries, and had little trouble with QB Josh Freeman...though their secondary was aided on several occasions by WR drops, and poor Freeman throws.

1.) DL: Solid effort by D Tommie Kelly, both against the run, and in applying pressure to the Tampa QB (Kelly had .5 sack, and two (2) QB hits). Chandler Jones recorded another sack, and two (2) QB hits. DE Rob Ninkovich had .5 sack, and participated in five (5) tackles. After a somewhat tepid first quarter, this crew pretty much dominated the line of scrimmage: GRADE: B;

2.) LBs: Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes cleaned up nearly everything that got past the DL, combining for 16 tackles, including 10 solos...with Mayo adding a sack. Decent job of coverage against RB Doug Martin, and what the Bucs had at TE. Pretty much a ho-hum day for the rest of the LBs, as Mayo and Spikes hit everything in sight: GRADE: B+;

3.) SECONDARY: Just how good is this group, really? We'll find out next Sunday night, when they tangle with QB Matt Ryan, throwing to the likes of Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez. Though they held the Bucs to just 236 yards through the air, the Tampa receivers appeared to be getting open. The secondary was aided by an early, game ending injury to WR Vincent Jackson, several dropped balls that should have been caught, and some poor throws by a QB, who soon may be out of a job. The deep patrol gave up three passes of 20 yards or longer, and seemed to have particular problems with Jackson, prior to his injury, and WR Mike Williams, who had five (5) catches for 65 yards. Still, any time a "D" holds an NFL team to just three (3) points, it's time for passing out cigars. Key interception by Aqib Talib in the closing seconds of the first half shut down any Tampa momentum, and led to a last second Gostkowski 53 yard FG, giving the Pats a 17-3 halftime lead: GRADE: B;

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: Great game from the much maligned "Ghost", who made his presence known with three (3) FGs of 34, 46, and 53 yards...the later to end the first half. Once again Gostkowski's deep kick-offs prevented the possibility of any momentum changing run-backs. With Pats' special teams' ace Matthew Slater out with an injury, this was of great importance. The punting by Ryan Allen left something to be desired, and needs to get be better. Typical great job of punt returing by Julian Edelman, who averaged 15 yards on two returns: GRADE: A-;

IV. COACHING: The offense can ill afford another slow start next week in Atlanta. My guess is that Gronk will return, next week. Though that should get Brady's juices flowing, something needs to be done about improving the route running of the younger guys, and in doing something to "take the top off" the opposing defense...so as to free up the running lanes on play action, and the medium range slants that the Pats run across the middle of the field. Despite all the talk of finding a legitimate deep threat to open up the field and gain respect for play-action, nothing of substance appears to have been done. Another poster has opined about a possible trade for Tampa WR, Vincent Jackson. Don't be surprised is this type of move gets explored. It's hard to criticize anything that BB had done, other than his personnel moves. He seems to be getting the most from his defense, and, as long as Tom Brady is around, the offense will eventually find a way: GRADE: B;  

V. PLAY OF THE GAME: Not a very exciting game, overall. But, if I have to pick one play that was the biggest of the big, I'll go with the 4th down conversion by the Patriots on a 4th and 2 from the Tampa 37 yard line, during the Pats first drive in the 2nd quarter. Operating from the shot-gun, Brady hit rookie WR Aaron Dobson by the sideline for a six (6) yard completion, and a first down. The play seemed to give the offense a kick in the backside...as they would soon travel the remaining 31 yards on 4 plays for a TD, on a Brady to Thompkins 16 yard catch and run play. The TD gave the Pats a 7-3 lead, and, seemingly, control of the game.

Wow, that is well done.  Do you write for someone on line?  That is a great breakdown and I agree with most of it. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Frankly, I thought a "C" grade for Brady was generous. He didn't play well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Time to retire TP. The day you are handing out a C for a 93 passer rating is the day to hang them up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

^ Absurd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I would have gave a B-.  He is being asked to teach on the fly.  I really think he is having trust issues with these young receivers and they are not on the same page.  He is guessing where and what they are doing.  Totally unlike what he showed to have with Branch, Welker and Gronk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I would have gave a B-.  He is being asked to teach on the fly.  I really think he is having trust issues with these young receivers and they are not on the same page.  He is guessing where and what they are doing.  Totally unlike what he showed to have with Branch, Welker and Gronk.

There's some truth to what you're saying...and this may be effecting his accuracy. But, if the Patriots are to hold off Miami in the AFC East, and seriously contend this season, Tom must play better. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

1st TD from KT was a drag route where he just ran thru the defense across the field and Brady found him in stride. He put his foot in the dirt and immediately went upfield from the 15, made another juke on the run on Goldson at the 5 and slithered by another for a walk in TD. The second one, he was running the back of the endzone and came back on a scramble drill and Brady hit him perfectly

The 4th down catch by Dobson, Revis was in off man coverage or playing 3 deep zone as he gave him some space and Dobson ran a great route breaking off a square out. One thing about Dobson though, he bobbles most of his catches. He needs to focus more, but I like what he is doing. Both He and KT look like 1a and 1b in terms of being a # WR. Just different skill sets. KT had a drop trying to run before he caught it. Those things will get better. They are both Dynamic Players, that is evident. 

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

I saw both plays the same way and agree in your assessment of KT and Dobson.  Heard an interesting comment earlier today on Dobson's bobbles.  The observation was that he is still trying to adjust to how hard Brady fires the ball.  That certainly makes sense on a few I saw yesterday.  

Overall, TP, I agree in what you've written.  I, too, would raise Brady's grade perhaps to a B.  He missed a couple of open receivers and the end zone pick was simply a bad play.  

Sections
Shortcuts