Buffalo Bills Sale

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Buffalo Bills Sale

Trump is one of those who has been granted access to financial records.   I think he's going to be the favorite, because of several things:

1) He has more net worth than the other suitors (although Golisano is worth billions).   That will allow him to make the largest bid.

2) He's headquartered in NY and has pledged to keep the team in Buffalo.

3) He wants to get into the exclusive club of NFL owners.   I'm sure the proposed sale of the Clippers for a ridiculous sum only stoked his interest.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/07/03/potential-buyers-get-access-to-bills-financial-books/" rel="nofollow">http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/07/03/potential-buyers-get-access-to-bills-financial-books/

If Trump does take over the franchise I'd expect him to spend $$$ to improve/replace the facility and revamp the organization.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Re: Buffalo Bills Sale

Trump is a tool, but your analysis is correct. Bon jovi will also be in on it.

Whoever buys it, a new stadium will have to come.  It will rejuvenate the area and create thousands of jobs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Golisano fits the profile better than the Donald.  He's more low key.  He's also from that neck of the woods, as opposed to the city, less likely to want to move to greener pastures. NFL doesn't care so much for owners who crave the spotlight. They're more likely to spout off and embarrass the brand, cause headaches and less likely to stay in line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Golisano fits the profile better than the Donald.  He's more low key.  He's also from that neck of the woods, as opposed to the city, less likely to want to move to greener pastures. NFL doesn't care so much for owners who crave the spotlight. They're more likely to spout off and embarrass the brand, cause headaches and less likely to stay in line.

[/QUOTE]

Trump did a bang up job in the USFL yes sir!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I believe George Will said it best about Donald Trump:  bloviating blowhard.  The NFL is at risk of becoming a laughing stock were that twit to own an NFL franchise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe George Will said it best about Donald Trump:  bloviating blowhard.  The NFL is at risk of becoming a laughing stock were that twit to own an NFL franchise.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

why can't he buy a team? Why couldn't rush Limbaugh *love him or hate him* buy into a team. There's no rules that say what you can or can't buy. You don't think the nfl is some what a joke now with goodell making millions, concussion law suits, the name redskins and of course the biggest joke the jets. 

Jerry jones and Dan Snyder are owners. What makes them different then trumph. What if JayZ bought the bills, would that be ok?

i don't get it how the nfl can decide who can or can't buy a team. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

An individual or group is not buying a team. They are buying a piece of a business entity, the NFL, and the NFL is owned by 31 other owners(majority) 

the other 31 owners of the business decide if the 32nd is worthy or not

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Speaking of Trump, whom I have never met, I have had the pleasure of meeting his daughter once. What an impressive young woman. Very, very bright. Very, very well spoken and polite. Impressed me as being mature well beyond her age. Also, very, very beautiful, but came across as very tasteful and elegant. 

From what I have heard, really the opposite of her dad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Hey, I never claimed Trump was without a massive ego.   Is that really a reason to reject him as an owner?  He'd be the first NFL owner with an ego right?

Some folks need to take a trip to Buffalo/Niagara area to see what those cities have become.  There is urban decline and then there is Buffalo.

When Trump renovates a real estate investment he does it in a massive way.   Sure he also adds some personal properties in his own self-interest.   Does that make him a bad man?   Does Patriot Place or the changes within Gillette make Kraft a bad owner?  The Donald would undoubtedly renovate/replace one of the NFLs oldest stadiums and create a venue worthy of the 21st century.

Trump is coming off a highly successful renovation of the Doral PGA venue.  He is highly regarded within the golf game.

Oh, and if you were the Wilson family you wouldn't take the money from a man who might very well bid much higher than any other entrant, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

why can't he buy a team? Why couldn't rush Limbaugh *love him or hate him* buy into a team. There's no rules that say what you can or can't buy. You don't think the nfl is some what a joke now with goodell making millions, concussion law suits, the name redskins and of course the biggest joke the jets. 

Jerry jones and Dan Snyder are owners. What makes them different then trumph. What if JayZ bought the bills, would that be ok?

[/QUOTE]

It's a franchise operation, like McDonalds. McDonalds can absolutely decide who can own one of their restaurants. Look at Sterling, he's losing his franchise because he made inappropriate comments in a private conversation. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

It's a franchise operation, like McDonalds. McDonalds can absolutely decide who can own one of their restaurants. Look at Sterling, he's losing his franchise because he made inappropriate comments in a private conversation. 

[/QUOTE]

This is true of course.   The biggest obstacle Trump will face is the memory of the USFL lawsuit against the NFL.  Some owners will never get over that piece of history.  In some ways it is similar to the way NFL owners never got over Doug Flutie for playing with the replacement players during the strike.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If Trump has the right partners around him and promises to keep the Bills near the current location it may be hard to find fault. 

They absolutely need a new stadium. The Ralph is a slightly larger version of the old Patriots dump.  It's not very accessible with limited amenities. They need a new building in a new location.  There is plenty of space, but not a lot of potential corporate sponsors. It will take more than a new football stadium to rebuild that depressed area. ...I wonder if Trump and The Roger would consider metro Toronto to be part of the greater Buffalo area?  Lot better economy, with more people/sponsors. Ralph Wilson always had his eye to the north. It's about 100 miles away. If the stadium was in between they could pitch it as similar to the Pats moving to F'bro. Roger wants to make the game international, that would be step 1. 

In any event with or without Trump, moving the Bills north is a very distinct possibility

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

so if that's the case, and I like your posts btw how can congress dictate what name a team can have?  That Sterling deal is a mess, that will end up in court and get worse. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the area is going to be hard pressed to support a team corporately and with taxpayer dollars, and any new owner has his eyes on the greater prize, LA

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The message from the NFL is clear:  If LA builds it they will come. 

The Bills ownership group does have something to say about where their team will land.  From the firm handling the Bill's sale:  "A Pegula spokesman issued a statement last month saying the Pegulas ''have a strong desire to have the Buffalo Bills remain a centerpiece of this region.''

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

why can't he buy a team? Why couldn't rush Limbaugh

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the NFL doesn't want a Donald Sterlingesque owner in the league making racist and inflammatory comments.  I may be wrong...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Trump has the right partners around him and promises to keep the Bills near the current location it may be hard to find fault. 

They absolutely need a new stadium. The Ralph is a slightly larger version of the old Patriots dump.  It's not very accessible with limited amenities. They need a new building in a new location.  There is plenty of space, but not a lot of potential corporate sponsors. It will take more than a new football stadium to rebuild that depressed area. ...I wonder if Trump and The Roger would consider metro Toronto to be part of the greater Buffalo area?  Lot better economy, with more people/sponsors. Ralph Wilson always had his eye to the north. It's about 100 miles away. If the stadium was in between they could pitch it as similar to the Pats moving to F'bro. Roger wants to make the game international, that would be step 1. 

In any event with or without Trump, moving the Bills north is a very distinct possibility

[/QUOTE]

Moving the team to a location between the 2 cities is an interesting concept. It does internationalize the league, meeting one of Goodell's goals and gives Canada it's own team driving more advertising dollars. But what do you the call the team, what identity does  a team take if still wants to capture the Buffalo market? How does it capture something Canadian and something Buffalo at the same time?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Toronto has a group trying to promote this concept.  Many Torontonians want the NFL football there (in addition to the CFL which has more of a fall season and somewhat different rules). One name was the horrible Tor-Buf-Chester Bills, one other I though was decent is the Niagara Area Bills. or maybe just Niagara Bills

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Donald Trump is free to make a bid if he so desires but as in virtually all transactions of this kind it takes a willing buyer AND a willing seller.  I'd be surprised if the other 31 owners supported his purchase of a franchise.

And I often disagree with George Will but in the case that I cited he is spot on.  I will add that in addition to being a bloviating ignoramus, Trump is pluperfect twit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

There are rich Canadians too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

Donald Trump is free to make a bid if he so desires but as in virtually all transactions of this kind it takes a willing buyer AND a willing seller.  I'd be surprised if the other 31 owners supported his purchase of a franchise.

And I often disagree with George Will but in the case that I cited he is spot on.  I will add that in addition to being a bloviating ignoramus, Trump is pluperfect twit.

[/QUOTE]

Well, time will tell.   If it gets as far as an owners vote I'll be surprised if he doesn't get the necessary votes.  He doesn't need all 31, he "only" needs 24. 

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/3/26/5548174/nfl-ownership-rules-buffalo-bills-sale-ralph-wilson" rel="nofollow">http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/3/26/5548174/nfl-ownership-rules-buffalo-bills-sale-ralph-wilson

And, without trying to change your mind, have you noticed how many times he's been in Kraft's luxury box for Pats games?   Did you know they are very good longtime friends?   Think Kraft's opinion would carry any weight among other owners?

It sure would get interesting if Trump came in with the highest offer and then was turned down by the owners.  I'm sure that would go over well with the Wilson family.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Buffalo is not economically viable for professional sports. It's a dying city. The Bills and Sabres will both be gone within ten years. Once upon a time, Rochester and Syracuse had pro teams too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would punch him in the face after asking if he knew a dead fox was on his head.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Buffalo is not economically viable for professional sports. It's a dying city. The Bills and Sabres will both be gone within ten years. Once upon a time, Rochester and Syracuse had pro teams too.

Toronto is not dying, it is in boom.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to croc's comment:

In response to davidap's comment:

[QUOTE]

Toronto is not dying, it is in boom.

[/QUOTE]

Admittedly, I haven't spent any time in the region in a long time, but Toronto and upstate NY are worlds apart. Toronto is a thriving metropolis and Buffalo...isn't. 

They might as well be in different countries....never mind.