Building a consistent championship contender

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Building a consistent championship contender

1. Resign your own playmakers
    2. Acquire majority of talent through draft/undrafted rookies
    3. Patch holes through lower-mid level free agents.

Steelers, Patriots, Green Bay, Giants, Colts, and Ravens are probably the team that follows this plan the closest...theyre also some of the most consistent teams this past decade.

Big name free agents have too many questions. How will they play after getting paid? How will they play in whatever system you have in place?

While it can get frustrating watching the Pats pass on signing the big name free agents...just look at the history of the Pats and the history of big name free agents.

Last 10 years? Drew Brees was the only big high profile FA to make a difference as large as the contract he signed. Peppers has been good...but  is impact worth 42 million guaranteed?

Im content with the Pats signing low end FA's

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Building a consistent championship contender

find a Tom Brady.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I totally agree , Good post.

Sure I have my players I like that I would make an exception for, but for the most part, this is how the Pats do biz and so this is why I dont get everyone wanting the big names.

Its not like if the player gets hurt, you get an exception to use the money elsewhere, u are just screwed.

Look at the examples we have the only 2 times we did.

Rosey got hurt in week 2 and was never the same.

Adalius hasnt made a play since week 2 in 07' vs S.D. when he had the pick 6.

Forget about it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Adalius had 2 sacks and a forced fumble in the super bowl.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Ahhh, that he did. I didnt mention it here, but I have always said he had a great SB in the end of the game atleast.

My question is was he used right going forward. That was A.D.'s supposed beef. He def. wasnt playing like that all year inside, and the next year things seem to have hit the fan with all his talk about his role and then being late and making excuses.

The main thing is we didnt pay him all that money to be to good in a couple games and I still dont know who's fault it is but bottom line, it didnt work out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In Response to Re: Building a consistent championship contender:
    [QUOTE]Adalius had 2 sacks and a forced fumble in the super bowl.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

didn't he also sack Eli on the headcatch play?  Oh I mean, wasn't he choked and facemasked by the dirty Giants who threw out the rulebook knowing the seaqson was over if they didn't cheat.  The whistleswallowing refs apparently had laryngitis by then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]find a Tom Brady.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

. . . and have him hand the ball to BJGE 20 times a game
    Wink

(Just kidding Champ . . .)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]find a Tom Brady.

This is the best post you've ever made.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]find a Tom Brady.

The truth

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I'd be good with a QB more like Drew Brees, he's more mobile, pretty damn accurate, and can throw deep too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Building a consistent championship contender : . . . and have him hand the ball to BJGE 20 times a game (Just kidding Champ . . .)
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

LOL, YES.. Just because we have the best Qb doesn't mean we have to use him as our crutch.

You think the Giants would have been prepared had we ran our power back 20 or even 30 times? No chance! They played the pass against us, just like always, and won just like always.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Let's not forget;

4: Build your team from the inside out.

Spending consecutive #1 picks on Seymour, Warren and Wilfork was wise. If you want to run the 4/3 you need two "every down" defensive tackles, if you run the 3/4 you need three.  Assuming we have Wilfork and Gerrard Warren back that means we need one more, even if Warren leaves and BB thinks Brace is ready to step in we'd still need one more.

5: Trading down on high #1 picks and trading over valued vets to accumulate draft picks.

I know this irks fans every draft day but doesn't it seem like we have two #1's and multiple 2nds, 3rds, etc... every draft?  This is even after giving up a #1 for that spygate BS.  

Now that the rookie pay scale has dropped I'm sure BB will be more likely to spend higher picks on rookies but a proven vet that was castoff his old team is a solid pick up.

No single team has been been raped of it's talent the way the Patriots have been. The biggest contributor to our decline has to be coordinator/coaching talent, specifically on the offensive side of the ball.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

This is why in reality just don't see the Pats getting the big or top tier free agents. They'll get some players to help plug in places without killing the budget.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]This is why in reality just don't see the Pats getting the big or top tier free agents. They'll get some players to help plug in places without killing the budget.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

the welker tag of 9.4 mil for a short middle slot wr is killing the budget.
    too much for that position. should have gone younger.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

The Pats were only a play or two off of winning the last two SB's they were in... I think we're doing a pretty good job of building a championship team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]Let's not forget; 4: Build your team from the inside out. Spending consecutive #1 picks on Seymour, Warren and Wilfork was wise. If you want to run the 4/3 you need two "every down" defensive tackles, if you run the 3/4 you need three.  Assuming we have Wilfork and Gerrard Warren back that means we need one more, even if Warren leaves and BB thinks Brace is ready to step in we'd still need one more. 5: Trading down on high #1 picks and trading over valued vets to accumulate draft picks. I know this irks fans every draft day but doesn't it seem like we have two #1's and multiple 2nds, 3rds, etc... every draft?  This is even after giving up a #1 for that spygate BS.   Now that the rookie pay scale has dropped I'm sure BB will be more likely to spend higher picks on rookies but a proven vet that was castoff his old team is a solid pick up. No single team has been been raped of it's talent the way the Patriots have been. The biggest contributor to our decline has to be coordinator/coaching talent, specifically on the offensive side of the ball.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    If you track the Pats by draft class its clear that higher first round picks have a better chance of playing well. BB has hit some home runs in the draft but more often he finds JAGs. I think it has everything to do with where they pick. If you're not trading up than chances are slimmer you'll find an impact guy. Things have changed and more often than not guys are where they should be in the draft. BB ins't a genius when he trades down in the first round or second round and produces a JAG. He took a chance on Gronk (spinal stenosis) and Hernandez (smokah) when other teams didn't but it wasn't like he traded up 20 spots to get either one. There's a rookie cap, there's plenty of needs, there's Brady's health and window and pretty much no excuses for him not to bring some studs in this year. FA is a whole other subject and if you look up the list of FAs its like BB is a garbage trawler.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Building a consistent championship contender : waaaaaah! waaaaah!
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

I thought you were leaving.  Can't say away, can you?  Typical NY p()ssy

20. This post has been removed.