Building the 2010 patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Building the 2010 patriots

have to wonder where do you begin?we need key players on both sides of the ball.not one side is needed more then the other.we need a corner.a pass rusher.a run stopper.a receiver or two.o-line.running back.im not sure what the cap will be,or what effect the un-capped year will have,but how can the pats address every need,and still be competive for the 2010 season?

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/patriots_belichick_brady_01-13-10_5QH3GR2_v2.2aef4d6.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Building the 2010 patriots

Mosse it all starts with the big fellas, so DL and OL then workout from there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

Plus the resent talent evaluation, draft picks and trades makes one wonder if under the current structure they are capable of building another championship team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I agree with Harley. 

It's so hard to judge skill position guys this year because the lines were so bad.  I don't know what kind of secondary the Pats have because no secondary could stand up to the amount of time QB's were given.  I'm not sure the Oline could clear a hole for any RB this year and Brady and his recievers were under constant attack after the line folded when the ball was snapped.  I wanted to see what Edelman could do in the playoffs.  He looked good but mostly I just saw Brady running for his life while the Oline was in the fetal position. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Look at the jets (gag) they have great oline and advanced in the playoffs with rookies at qb and rb.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/12/pats-need-better-players-not-schemes/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jshinny. Show jshinny's posts

The Patriots aren't that far off.  They need a bona fide pass rusher, a 22 carry a game RB and a 3rd receiver.  They could also use a dependable TE that plays to his ability and doesn't make huge mental mistakes.  The DBs are better than serviceable with Bodden (if they re-sign him) and Merriweather being standouts and Butler, McGowan, and Sanders looking good.  Too early to see what Chung is.  Light isn't 2007 Light but Vollmer shows huge promise.  All in all, I think it would have been interesting to see if the Patriots had a dominant pass rusher on D and if they at least tried to keep teams honest with a dedicatation to a run game.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I agree Moss,

No matter what the scheme is it involves one player beating another.  When Suggs beats Matt light for a sack fumble I am sure that play wasn't drawn up like that.  When the Pats snap the ball the O-line gets pushed back, when the Ravens snap the ball the D-line gets pushed back.  The team cannot lose the battle at the line every time.  I'm surprised they made the playoffs with how weak the lines are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I think this team improvements should start and be mainly focused on the offense.  The O-Line is the #1 concern right now.  I'm not sure who is available VIA free agency but I would bring in a guy or two and use the first rounder on a RB.  The Maroney era is over and it's time for the next attempt at a future back.  The offense was just about as bad as the defense this year.  The defense is young and can only get better (granted they still have to address needs there as well)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I don't think the O-line is the biggest problem on this team. Light always struggles with speed guys, he has for years.  We got rid of Heath Evans and we never had the last line of protection because Faulk was our only viable third option. Light, Mankins (if resigned) and Vollmer are all solid. Kaczur is a mess though. We need some minor retooling on offense (tight end who can catch, third receiver and better play calling) in my opinion. Defense is a mess though. We need to resign Wilfork and Bodden, get linebackers who can make plays (at least one inside and one outside) and get a defensive end. I believe, maybe foolishly that our defensive backs look so bad because we can't generate any pressure without blitzing and even that is no sure thing. Remember when Ty Law used to get sacks, not to mention Rodney always got solid licks on the quarterback even if he didn't get the sack.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I already said who I'd keep on another board that I started.

Off the top of my head, here's who I'd like to see the Pats pursue, pending availability:
    DE/OLB Julius Peppers, CAR
    OLB Jason Taylor, MIA (to replace/join Seau as resident veteran)
    OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil, DEN
    OLB Shawne Merriman, SD

DE/OLB Kyle Vanden Bosch, TEN
    DE/OLB Aaron Kampman, GB
    DE Adewale Ogunleye, CHI

RB Chester Taylor, BAL (DUAL THREAT)
    RB Leon Washington, NYJ (Dual Threat, but more of a scatback; return abilities)
    RB LenDale White, TEN (strictly a power runner)
    RB Darren Sproles, SD (strictly a change of pace back; return abilities)

CB Carlos Rogers, WAS
    CB Marlin Jackson, IND
    CB Fabian Washington, BAL

S Darren Sharper, NO (could show young guys the way; playmaker)
    S Dawan Landry, BAL

WR Anquan Boldin, ARI (not afraid to go across the middle, tough runner, might want to be #1 target, though)
    WR/ST Josh Cribbs, CLE (they can't tell him he's not a big-money player but tell other teams he's worth a lot...)
    WR Miles Austin, DAL (not realistic)
    WR Vincent Jackson, SD (not realistic)
    WR Brandon Marshall, DEN (maturity issues, but a beast)
    WR Malcolm Floyd, SD (big at 6'6" 230; good vertical receiver)
    WR Deon Branch, SEA (if cut, might be cheap; rapport with Brady)
    WR Plaxico Burress
    WR Antonio Bryant, TB
    WR Terrell Owens, BUF (last resort)

ILB D'Qwell Jackson, CLE (played in 2 Belichick 3-4 systems under Crennel and Mangina)
    ILB Karlos Dansby, ARI (captain; not realistic I don't think)
    ILB Demeco Ryans, HOU (a tackling machine in a 4-3 defense)

LB Keith Bulluck, TEN
    LB Larry Foote, DET
    LB Pisa Tinoisamoa, CHI

TE Owen Daniels, HOU (a versatile TE with good hands - I wonder if the Texans will let him go given that they only have one franchise tag and Demeco Ryans is also a free agent)
    TE Tony Scheffler, DEN

LT Marcus McNeill, SD (6'9+" 330++) (imagining a future with him and Vollmer as the two tackles makes me giddy and lightheaded)

G Jahri Evans, NO (says he's a good run blocker)

(I'm not that smart... then again, you probably already knew this lol)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

OL and DL thats how BB built all his championship teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Up front Im all for that, but we need real help at the skills positions as well. Think guys like Jackson, Rudd, Ryans, and Morrison for ilb, all are machines,Rudd and Ryans are top 5 guys, while Morrison is a top ten. I love all three, go for one, they'll cost, but great players always do, pay now or pay later. I think Rudd or Morrison would really excell here. Jackson might be the cheapest and would fit right in as well.  I hear alot of people talkinh about getting a #3 rec, Im not sure if their in shock or what ever, but we need a #2 rec now. Listen forget about Welker ever being the same guy, sorry not going to happen, Im not a doc. but I am a physical therapist and work with these injuries and see no way how he can be the "same" guy at all. Not saying he wont be back all though theres a small chance, I do see back at about 80% of what he was, but thats not until 2011. He'll prolly comeback around Nov-Dec of this year , but not at all the way until 2011. We need some real help at rec. , so Im saying go big and go Marshell. Hey would you give a 2 for Marshell, I would in a second. And why not a guy like Breaston as well and Walter. Hows Moss/Marshell/Walter sound. Its not completely far-fetched at all. Denver and Marshell are done, everyone knows that, I think its first come, first serve. He'll be out of there by March. Running Back I think we can address in the draft, second round. Maybe Spiller at 22? O-line might be the biggest problem, we play our worst as most do when our o-line looks like swiss cheese! Their are a couple options in the draft, Williams and Campbell could fall if theres a real buy on D, mostly olb. A guy like Black we could pick up at mid 2. I really like Earl Thomas from Texas and think we need help at safety, this guy is very good and is comparable with Eric Berry, I really like him, did I mention that! Also everyone is screaming about olb as they should, but to many are doing it cause its thenpopular thing to scream at this moment. We need real help, big help, but thats not the only weakness on D at all. I think we can get Kindle with one of our 2's. I predict Hughes will fall til' 2 as well, take your pick. If we wanna go rec. in the draft think Lafell,Benn and Tate, all will go in the second round and all can be difference makers. I like Benn and Tate, and think Mardy Gilyard is a real possibility. Top 5-6 Rec and top 2 return guy. One more thing watch out fot nightmare Cody, If were not gonna sign him long term, this is the year to do it. Cody is an absolute beast and despite the love for Wilfork and him being a top 3-5 guy at his spot, Cody is one of the most talked about DT/NT Ive heard about in a while. Heres a thought why not get him and move to a 43? I think Jarvis is a more natural 43 end anyway, maybe Dunlap at the other end? Hey whats the harm in thinking about it, this D got way too much credit for being ...OK.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Hey Mungo BB inhertied alot of the players who won those championships! And brought alot of proven guys over from F/A. And he has killed it there either of late.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree with most here. the OL and DL are the key spots to upgrade and fill, but we are also very thin at skill positions. We need help all over the board.
    I think last years 2nd round draft killed us, less Vollmer and Butler. Chung and Brace were wasted picks, and we could have upgraded at other positions instead of adding a 3rd safety when we had 2 pretty good starters in Meriweather and Sanders. Anyhow, no use looking back. 

In terms of WR, I would be very excited if we got both Boldin and Branch. Boldin and Moss (1a/1b), with Branch and Edelman to start season would be a very nice combination until Wes returns, then it would downright scary.

DE/OLB...the only one I like is Dumervil. he is a sack machine. Peppers is too rich for us, but with an uncapped year, who cares. Bring in 1 FA at DE/OLB, and draft one..my man is Jerry Hughes from TCU. 

I think CB is the position to watch. We are going to be all of a sudden thin at the position next year if they don't sign Bodden. Springs is done, Wilhite is terrible, Wheatley is a waste...that leaves us with Butler (good but still learning)..Need to sign Bodden, pick up an FA like Carlos Rogers, and draft another CB...Would like to see us find the next Revis, but that is wishful thinking I guess.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'm thinking there need to be a number of signings of from our FAs and even more so bring in new FAs.  The team has too many holes at key positions not to do so.
    Start with OL, we need upgrades Voll is the left tackle IMO for next year let light go try to trade him
    DL Sign Vince and get some FA help and draft a RS replacement
    WRs need to pickup FAs, I think drafting one would not be a good idea
    RBs I read the only question on coming back is faulk I desagree we need a FA and draft a thumper
    TEs we need a stud blocker/receiver combination but don't think we should spend a high pick on one. 
    MLB need a veteran FA who is not over 30
    OLBs need to draft a couple, forget about who's on the team outside of Tully
    CBs two FAs (including Bodden) and draft one high, dump the Ws
    Safetys nothing to be done, let Sanders play

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Hey NickC1188- I love your enthusiasm and your board is great!!! HOWEVER, we are talking about the Patriots and they seem more interested in "value" than in talent. I would consider getting 1 of these free agents a minor miracle especially when they have Wilfolk and Mankins to worry about.I'm concerned that every year we hear the Patriots spend to the cap but other than Brady,Moss and maybe 1 or 2 others where does all the Patriots money go to? Anyway, good post Nick and don't be surprised if the Pats trade their 22nd pick out of the first round for "better value"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

I say we move up in the draft and grab LB McLain from Bama. I think that if during the draft the commish announces that the PATS are trading up will throw some other teams for a loop. I have seen some mocks that show quite a few OL/DL with some good promise falling into the second round. I like Ciron Black OT and Arthur Jones DT just to name a few.
    I know we build from the trenches out but we still have Wilfork and Warren up front but no one to pair with Mayo in the middle.
    This is just one idea.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

It starts with resigning Brady long term. Then move on to Wilfork, franchise him along with Tully Banta Cain. Resign Mankins long term.

Patriots will select 4 of the top 50 best players in college coming to the Pros in the draft. They hold (4 picks within the top 54 overall picks)

They will need to spend some extra $$ in FA on an experience pass rusher and linebacker, that will fill the void after we trade Adilius Thomas.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

best mock draft site, pictures are a nice addition

http://www.thesportsbank.net/nfl-mock-drafts/nfl-mock-draft-1-12/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Start in house by re-signing Mankins, Wilfork and Bodden.  Look to add SOMEONE who can make a big play on defense either through FA or in the draft -- preferable at the DE or OLB position.  Look to get a legit third WR, another RB, TE.  Take some chances and look at RFAs if they're given reasonable tenders and their draft pick compensation is doable. 

The Pats are in position to use their draft picks in a deep draft to build their roster.  If there is a game changer available, maybe trade up in the 1st round using Oakland's #1 from next year.  This roster has a lot of depth but also a lot of mediocrity at many positions.  There needs to be a transfusion of more youth and some mid-level veteran help. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I see a lot of posts about adding a #3 #4 receiver, I say add a #1.  WHAT! yes a #1, I love randy moss and his abilities but they are diminishing. 

With a #1 receiver moss as #1a you have Edelman (until Welker comes back) as #3 and HOPE Tate can take #4.  Draft a receiver that can be the 5th.

Again moss is still a great receiver but his days are numbered, while he is still here bring in a #1 caliber receiver.  My vote and only is because I'm not paying for him is Vincent Jackson.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

troy brown thinks the team needs veteran leadership.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/13/troy-brown-says-pats-need-leaders-toughness/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

how about jordan shipley to replace welker for the time being? He seems to catch everything thrown to him and he goes over the middle.
    Maybe a dumb question but when/if welker comes back could they play two slot receivers at the same time?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

sgm, yes they can, the can also load one side with three receivers oposite to one.  there's a lot that they can do and do already because they like the spread offense.

Shipley is a smart player and would be a nice addition but he's about the same size as Edelman, IMO we need a 6'3+ receiver.

Sections
Shortcuts