Burgess and Aiken

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Burgess and Aiken

On defense the biggest problem is the lack of a pass rush. If we have a chance at it will come from derrick burgess. I know that he had a sack and a few qb hits last week. Has anyone closely followed his progress and is there any reason to hope that he can become the sackmaster he was for the raiders.
    On the other side of the ball, it looks as though we need a third threat at receiver to make this offense more dynamic. The options are a former college qb, a practice squad qb, and a special team player. Here Hope needs to bet on Sam Aiken. He made one fabulous catch and run in the dolphins game  and was overthrown on other big-play opportunites. Is Aiken a potential third threat?
    I don;t believe it is possible for the patriots to make a playoff run without these two players stepping up in a big way but this is not likely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: Burgess and Aiken

Burgess had another good game with Thomas out the line-up.  If BB decides to sit Thomas again I would like to see if its just coincidence or is it fact that he plays better without Thomas in the line up.

As far as Aiken.  I dont know why he was benched last week for IS.  If he can step up and make some key catches it will be helpful.  Also, Brady has more than just Aiken to throw to.  He has RB's and TE's.  If he looked to them more it can also help this offense out.  But I put alot of it on Obrien to create a scheme to get these other guys going. 

I would expect Watson to have a bigger role this week, because he is the guy that scorched Buffalo in Wk. 1 for two td's to win the opener.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Liked what DB brought last week.  A nice DB/TBC combo off the edges would be sweet!!!! But i think we should just play him in a standard 4-3 the rest of the year anyway.  LBs getting thin, Wilfork out, go to one gap system and get pressure that way, if you can.  I didnt check, but it looks like that was basically what we were doing with him in anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

i wanted to start a thread that would be very popular... and i thought the subject was good. but no one cared. but ill bring it up top again
    if we have a playoff chance its that aiken makes plays and burgess becomes a factor.
    distant hopes butwhat needs to happen

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Burgess and Aiken:
    i wanted to start a thread that would be very popular... and i thought the subject was good. but no one cared. but ill bring it up top again if we have a playoff chance its that aiken makes plays and burgess becomes a factor. distant hopes butwhat needs to happen
    Posted by sirpinochle

Well just like you said, "Aiken makes plays and Burgess becomes a factor".  If that can happen then that means the Pats will be taking care two of the biggest needs that have been holding them back this year.

The lack of talent at 3rd reciever is on of the big reasons Moss cant get going and WW can.  If they had a real 3rd reciever then it would give the offense alot more options while moving the ball.  But I believe the biggest problem on offense is not necessarily the 3rd reciever, I believe it has more to do with the the plays that are being called.  I dont think the OBrien is doing a good enough job incorperating the rest of the players on this offense.  He calls plays that keep this offense one dimensional.

As far as Burgess, if he can get going then we will really see how well this defense can play.  TBC has been doing a great job this year, but he gets no help.  Something I noticed is that the 2 games that Thomas sat out Burgess had his best games of the season.  If BB sits Thomas this sunday and Burgess has another good game, then it will be interesting to see how BB handles the rest of the season.  But to get an effective pass rusher will do wonder to help this defense out.  Alot of people including myself put blame on Pees for his play calling, but I'm starting to believe its more about the lack of talent on defense rather than the schemes.  NE ranks 13th in the league in Blitzing, but are somewhere near the bottom 5 when it comes to sacks.

Sections
Shortcuts