Burgess gets it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Burgess gets it

At least he seems to understand the situation, this along with what BB, and TB have said the team has isolated  (adios) Thomas. He's (Thomas) all by himself with his comments and hopefully the younger players see him as a bad influence.

Burgess disappointed in himself after being sent home

Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas showed one way to react to being punished:Don't apologize, and come out guns blazing about the unfairness of it all.  (We're glad Thomas had his rant because it inspired this back cover of the Boston Herald.)

Fellow veteran Derrick Burgess took a different approach Friday.  He blamed himself.

Burgess was asked if he was shocked by the decision to send him home: "Shocked is one of the words you can use, but I'm more disappointed in myself."  

The former Raider understood that "late is late. . . . My big disappointment is in me. I lead by being an example. I don't lead by being 'rah, rah.' I was disappointed in myself."

Randy Moss and linebacker Gary Guyton did not address the situation Friday, although Guyton did speak with the media. 

Anyone hoping that Bill Belichick was going to be set off from Thomas' words were disappointed Friday.  And haven't watched many Belichick pressers.

Asked about his ornery player, Belichick avoided the situation, according to Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston.

"My focus is on the Carolina Panthers. That's what I've been working on all week. That's what I'm going to work on until Sunday. ... Do you have a big story on it I should read? [Smiling] I'll check it out." 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Re: Burgess gets it

Honestly, I didn't find any (team) harm in his commentary.  The fact that he mentioned he was disappointed in himself (whether he actually was or not) shows a level of maturity; demonstrates that he realises that his comments can be far-reaching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

In Response to Re: Burgess gets it:
    Honestly, I didn't find any (team) harm in his commentary.  The fact that he mentioned he was disappointed in himself (whether he actually was or not) shows a level of maturity; demonstrates that he realises that his comments can be far-reaching.
    Posted by BTownExpress

Are you talking about Burgess or Thomas? Thomas's comments were detrimental 
    to the team, Bugress was contrite in his.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Burgess gets it : Are you talking about Burgess or Thomas? Thomas's comments were detrimental  to the team, Bugress was contrite in his.
    Posted by harleyroadking103

Good for Burgess, while he certainly has disappointed at times on the field, it seems like it's simply a loss of the talent he used to have, not an issue or desire thing.  Regardless of how he really feels, issuing an apology and taking it like a man will show the team and BB that he's ready to roll moving forward.  I hope we get a big game from him this weekend, the pats sure could use it.  It's good to see that he understands that this is his job, and when you are late to your job, you have to accept the consequences regardless of their severity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

All of the sudden I like Burgess. I kind of wish Moss would have come out and said the same thing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Moss is smart for keeping his mouth shut. Moss is not a problem with this football team and he knows that he got sent home because he was late too and they couldn't send home the other guys and not Moss.

Burggess did say all the right things today but from what I hear on 98.5 he has been a problem in the locker room. He has not bought into Belichicks system or the Pats way of doing things. That's what i keep hearing anyways. But I did like it when he said "I am disappointed in myself, you dig?" lol who says "you dig"? cool people thats who lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I'm calling for a big game from Burgess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Is AT a team captain? 

League minimum guys showed up on time as well as 50 others. 

Did it only snow on the roads those 4 guys took? 

Pay me 10 million to show up to work on time and I'll buy a jetpack if I have to.  Guys like AT and Moss, that make Brady type money better be there on time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from latesgates. Show latesgates's posts

Moss will go off this wknd!!  10 grabs for 170 yds 2 tds.  Burgess will have 2.2 tackles and 2 finger nails on the QB.  A. Thomas will have a nice and warm afternoon with a big fat inactive!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

No need to even bring Moss into it, he was only sent home cause they couldnt send home the other vets and not him. Moss is not an issue on this football team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Why hasn't AD been cut yet?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

This team is truly at a crossroad.  I'm excited about and faring Sunday at the same time.  We'll see what their made of.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Burgess s*cks.  I could care less about Burgess.  I could do just as well as he does in getting his a*s*s handed to him every time he tries to rush the passer.  No, I'm not saying I'm a professional level athlete - I'm saying he's doing such a terrible job anybody could do just as bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~Relatively few players, and less and less in this day and age, Have BOTH that humble attitude and Team spirit that One wants to co-mingle with Good Production and quality play on the field...  In the past, The N.E. Patriots had a core of Team Leader who were Great Players as well.  In an ideal world You want guys with BOTH this aspects. 

BUT, This being said, and I definately know many here on this board would disagree with me here, YET...If I had to personally choose between a miserable and malcontent sometime star on the gridiron OR a run-of-the-mill, joe-average NFL player to play on My Team...I'd choose the guy who would walk through fire for, and with me...I'd choose the no-name nobody. 

Both AD and Burgess have played mediocre here, But most would say, even though he ain't worth the money he's gettin', In ALL, AD is the better on-field performer of the two...  Trust Me, and believe me when I'm saying this...EVEN IF AD was Playing Great, the derision and disruptions of having a fragmented Team of Guys NOT All working together, not even on the same page (or in AD's case...not the same book), FAR outweighs in harmful manners, the BETTER Good of having a T-E-A-M of somewhat lesser players...   Burgess Gets It...AD Don't...Bench AD, Play DB more-Period.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Well said Lazarus.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I doubt burgess is a problem in the lockerroom,or anyone else.for if they were.they would have had there walking papers already.but its obvious the team is starting to split at the seams.and a few of the guys got disiplined.other then a few players on the team,i could see moss and others getting the walking papers if its a bad situation.im a big moss fan,but the way the pats have traded,released certain players this year.it wouldnt surprise me to see them make a lot of changes after this season.but i dont see it happening during this season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

bel always raves about this guy. called him one of the smartest guys he has ever been around and that he picked up the schemes more quickly than anyone he (belichick) has ever coached. the problem with burgess and i am sure oakland already knew that, his talents have eroded even more so than a junior seau who can still do a lot of what he always has (just not as long). burgess unlike with moss when he was traded (due to attitude).... BURGESS CANT PLAY! the skill no longer matches the smarts. its unfortunate but i rather have a guy with a good attitude (bruschi the past few years) with a diiminished skillset than a guy with huge skills with a loser attitude (TO, thomas)!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Well said Lazarus.

Thank you my friend...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

People, Moss never practices on tuesdays. He was probably just sent home because he wasn't going to do anything after the meeting. 

It's a shame, the guy who played with 3 time SB Champions runs his mouth. The guy who played for Oakland stays humble. 

Makes me want to punch Adalius even more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Other than the two sacks he had in game one, Burgess has done nothing. But Laz is right. I would play him over A.T. in a second. A.T. has now become cancerous. We may have wasted two picks on Burgess, but at least Bill was trying to improve on the pass rush. It just hasn't worked out. We need players who HATE to lose.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

Why hasn't AD been cut yet?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

I am not sure but I think other teams can still pick him up. If that's the case, then you would not want him to be available for the Jets or Miami. He probably will be benched, and then cut when/if NE clinches.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Ya, great, Burgess gets it. That nets us a lot of sacks. This quote is the highlight of his season. It's the $2,000,000 quote!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steveleary. Show steveleary's posts

My respect for Derrick Burgess went up a thousand fold. He could have just as easily jumped on AD's soapbox, but responded with class and responsibility. We can only hope that AD gets moved in offseason.

Now, lets bail out the mascot and beat the Panthers!Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Burgess gets it:
    At least he seems to understand the situation, this along with what BB, and TB have said the team has isolated  (adios) Thomas. He's (Thomas) all by himself with his comments and hopefully the younger players see him as a bad influence. Burgess disappointed in himself after being sent home Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 11, 2009 3:36 PM ET Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas showed one way to react to being punished: Don't apologize , and come out guns blazing about the unfairness of it all.  (We're glad Thomas had his rant because it  inspired this back cover  of the Boston Herald.) Fellow veteran Derrick Burgess took a different approach Friday.   He blamed himself . Burgess was asked if he was shocked by the decision to send him home: "Shocked is one of the words you can use, but I'm more disappointed in myself."   The former Raider understood that "late is late. . . . My big disappointment is in me. I lead by being an example. I don't lead by being 'rah, rah.' I was disappointed in myself." Randy Moss and linebacker Gary Guyton did not address the situation Friday, although Guyton did speak with the media.  Anyone hoping that Bill Belichick was going to be set off from Thomas' words were disappointed Friday.  And haven't watched many Belichick pressers. Asked about his ornery player,  Belichick avoided the situation , according to Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston. "My focus is on the Carolina Panthers. That's what I've been working on all week. That's what I'm going to work on until Sunday. ... Do you have a big story on it I should read? [Smiling] I'll check it out." 

Too bad Burgess bites....what has he actually done this season? He's been invisible....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Burgess stinks. The fact that he can see playing time is testimony that the defense stinks this year. A third and fifth rounder flushed down the toilet for an old guy with injury problems. Just because he "acts contrite" (it is an act) whereas Thomas speaks the truth about how idiotic BB's reaction was, I am supposed to suddenly love Burgess? Both these guys need a ticket out of here....but because their play does not justify the salary, not because of being late in an ice storm so Billy can show everyone how tough he is. Ugh. By the way, if we don't blow out this garbage Carolina team on Sunday by a minimum of 3 td's, then we really stink. To think Matthews had dropped to us in the draft and BB passed on him...twice! Exactly one of the positions we need, and that would have locked it down for 10 years. But I am sure that long snapper and future draft pick were great compensation (especially when these future picks get used on Burgess or Alex Smith).

Sections
Shortcuts