Burgess - is this guy ever going to make a play?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Re: Burgess - is this guy ever going to make a play?

He just started practicing and it was his first game back. i was hoping he would do a little better last might but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. He looked good towards the end of last year getting 18 tackles and 3 sacks in the final 4 games which one of those games he didn't play in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Dude isn't this like his 3rd practice of the year or something? I think Burgess is a situational pass rusher only. I think Murrel should start opposite Tully Banta-Cain(coolest name ever) with Cunningham/Burgess/Woods getting solid playing time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

I missed the second half - how did McKenzie do?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Burgess - is this guy ever going to make a play?:
    looks like burgess is picking up right where he left off last season: doing absolutely nothing in the game. i've never seen a linebacker do so little. no pass rush, no edge setting, no plays. this guy is clearly going through the motions and collecting his check...id this D is going to be any good he has to plummet down the depth chart. its getting frustrating not having cunningham in there; i'm dying to see what this kid can do.
    Posted by artielang

from my point of view Burgess had 1.5 good games last year with one of the games against the worst OL in football, the Bills. It is unfortunately a reflection of where the current Pats LB corps are that Burgess is on the team. Yes, he is "just back"...but so was Brace who was noticable last night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

thanks Russ - hope he keeps developing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Burgess - is this guy ever going to make a play?:
    looks like burgess is picking up right where he left off last season: doing absolutely nothing in the game. i've never seen a linebacker do so little. no pass rush, no edge setting, no plays. this guy is clearly going through the motions and collecting his check...id this D is going to be any good he has to plummet down the depth chart. its getting frustrating not having cunningham in there; i'm dying to see what this kid can do.
    Posted by artielang

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Wow!  A couple of practices and one quarter in a  pre-season game and the guy's a bum???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm not sure why you guys are giving burgess a free pass for skipping training camp. dont you want a player that "wants" it? that comes to training camp, works hard, and always goes all out when he's on the field? i wasnt expectiing him to tear things up, but seeing his total non impact on the game brought back bad memories of last season. as someone else mentioned, even ron brace was in on a few plays, and he's been practicing the same amount of time.
    i did think that mckenzie looked good when he got in there though, even though it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers. i really hope he makes this team, i still think he has a good future as a run stuffer. too bad he cant play OLB. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

In Response to Re: Burgess - is this guy ever going to make a play?:
    In Response to Burgess - is this guy ever going to make a play? : from my point of view Burgess had 1.5 good games last year with one of the games against the worst OL in football, the Bills. It is unfortunately a reflection of where the current Pats LB corps are that Burgess is on the team. Yes, he is "just back"...but so was Brace who was noticable last night.
    Posted by rkarp

You are just a candy coated troll.  Extra sour, with a side of bitterness.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

i'm not sure why you guys are giving burgess a free pass for skipping training camp. dont you want a player that "wants" it? that comes to training camp, works hard, and always goes all out when he's on the field? i wasnt expectiing him to tear things up, but seeing his total non impact on the game brought back bad memories of last season. as someone else mentioned, even ron brace was in on a few plays, and he's been practicing the same amount of time. i did think that mckenzie looked good when he got in there though, even though it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers. i really hope he makes this team, i still think he has a good future as a run stuffer. too bad he cant play OLB. 
    Posted by artielang

Absolutely. I am not happy about the no show either, but you gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. We really don't know what he had going on and even if he did skip for selfish reasons the guys on the team seem to support him and I really don't think BB would have him on the team if he was just pulling a Favre.

With tha said it is just his 1st few days. I am not defending him and I have questions as well but lets give him a chance to prove himself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hey give the guy a break!! If you look closely he's rreally helping out with our defensive lean. He's doing a wonderful job of leaning on guys on the other team, saving his energy and making the other team fear that he's gay. A sure fire way to really crank it up in the fourth quarter! Plus as everyone knows on this site, we don't need pass rushers, we're doing just fine bending, but not breaking.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoBS14. Show NoBS14's posts

Oh jesus.  He just arrived this week!  Seek help. He played, what 1 quarter?  He made a bunch of plays last year in December and is getting his feet wet again. You know when fans start scouring for complaints, especially one like this, they are starting off very well here in 2010.
    Posted by russgriswold

He sacked Matt Moore from Carolina and had a sack against Buffalo in December....I don't see this "bunch" of plays that you are referring to. The guy has not made any valid plays...he has been in the league for almost 10 years...BOTTOM LINE -- Derrick Burgess IS NOT an answer to generate pass rush

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

could have had cameron wimbley or morrison.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phoenix125. Show Phoenix125's posts

Sacks are overrated. 

If the Patriot's defense is able to control the opponents offense the Patriots should have a successful season.  When I wrote 'control the opponents offense,' I meant the Patriot's defense needs to keep the quarterback in the pocket.  The game against the Falcons was embarrassing.  The opposing quarterback was able to rollout of the pocket and throw the football to a receiver without a problem.

Spikes and Mayo appear to be the Patriot's best all-around linebackers.  McKenzie appears to be the best run stoppers of all the linebackers the Patriot's have.  I would start Spikes and Mayo in the middle and use McKenzie on situational plays.  Those plays would be mostly running situations.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

are you guys going to keep making excuses for him? he looked even worse this week. what are the excuses now?? is it possible he has lost a step (or 5) in his pass rush and never was much of a run defender?? i think he's the worst player on the entire defense. there, i said it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Don't know.  He really does seem invisible out there though.  I hope he's just getting back up to speed and saving it for the real games. 

That being said,  I'm not counting on it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MatildaWanna. Show MatildaWanna's posts

I heard Mr Burgess showed in the locker room, he dropped his towel and it looks like its going to be a short season. Maybe RUSSG can help him buy some EXTENDZ and he could play better. TeeHee

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MatildaWanna. Show MatildaWanna's posts

The simple fact you created that kind of imagery speaks volumes about your own sexuality.  Case closed, folks! If I was you, I'd be entertained by messageboard characters too.  haha I'd suggest you seek help, but there isn't any for you.
    Posted by russgriswold

Oh come on now mm1021us  you be nice to me and I might even talk to you. Can you teach me all you know about football? how come SHAQ didnt play last night you told me he would. Are you sure you know what your talking about cuz Im begining to wonder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Burgess - is this guy ever going to make a play? : Oh come on now mm1021us  you be nice to me and I might even talk to you. Can you teach me all you know about football? how come SHAQ didnt play last night you told me he would. Are you sure you know what your talking about cuz Im begining to wonder.
    Posted by MatildaWanna

Lets stick to football, or you guys should actually meet and do something... internet blog fighting is weak all the away around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Derrick played like crap plain and simple.

This guy is getting stood up and not giving it his all. Cunningham will probably come in and start over him. 

The spots that were troubling last night which was the matches Bill was trying last night was Brace with Warren, Spikes and Mayo, McCourty with Butler, Bodden with Butler, Sanders with Chung and two of them worked. The problem isnt inside with the backers or with Wilfork. Its not with the ends while Brace played well, and TBC did a good job setting the edge and was held all night (damn joke). Problem was with McCourty, Sanders, and Burgess.

Sake of the thread. Burgess was just garbage last night. He got pressure once last night and Bradford would have thrown for a TD if he didnt. Cunningham will give 100% a better effort and he needs to play in the reg season. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

so do you feel that burgess was an impact player last year, and was worthy of starting? and do you feel he is off to a good start this year, and has shown that he is committed to playing hard, practicing, and giving 100% on every play, and is worthy of being a starter?

Didnt he have 5 sacks last year? So wouldnt that mean that some time he made a play?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm with you artie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Mike Reiss wrote :

on Bradford’s 32-yard completion to Donnie Avery in the first quarter, Burgess was handled with relative ease by tight end Billy Bajema in a one-on-one situation on the edge. That’s a matchup that Burgess should be winning more often than not.

Sections
Shortcuts