burgess

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

burgess

according to len Pasquarelli of espn.com:

"Burgess trade talks still smoldering: The once roaring flames have been reduced to embers, but don't be surprised if defensive end Derrick Burgess is still traded from Oakland to New England before training camp. The Pats had only 30 sacks in 2008, and although Bill Belichick is masterful at conjuring up ways for his linebackers to make plays, New England would still like to improve a relatively toothless pass rush. The Patriots had only three players with more than three sacks last season, and one of them, linebacker Mike Vrabel (four sacks), was traded away. The two teams discussed a Burgess trade during the draft, but sources said the Raiders backed off from the deal, perhaps fearing a repeat of the Randy Moss giveaway. With the addition of former Cowboys sackman Greg Ellis, the Raiders don't need Burgess as much as they did at one point. An eight-year veteran, Burgess posted just 3½ sacks in 2008, but had 35 sacks (including 16 in 2005) the previous three years."

while i think this would be a good pick up and allow us to have the veteran depth at OLB i just hope that the cost isn't too high being that this is his final year in his current contract.  has anyone heard anything?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: burgess

In Response to burgess:
    according to len Pasquarelli of espn.com: " Burgess trade talks still smoldering: The once roaring flames have been reduced to embers, but don't be surprised if defensive end Derrick Burgess is still traded from Oakland to New England before training camp. The Pats had only 30 sacks in 2008, and although Bill Belichick is masterful at conjuring up ways for his linebackers to make plays, New England would still like to improve a relatively toothless pass rush. The Patriots had only three players with more than three sacks last season, and one of them, linebacker Mike Vrabel (four sacks), was traded away. The two teams discussed a Burgess trade during the draft, but sources said the Raiders backed off from the deal, perhaps fearing a repeat of the Randy Moss giveaway. With the addition of former Cowboys sackman Greg Ellis , the Raiders don't need Burgess as much as they did at one point. An eight-year veteran, Burgess posted just 3½ sacks in 2008, but had 35 sacks (including 16 in 2005) the previous three years." while i think this would be a good pick up and allow us to have the veteran depth at OLB i just hope that the cost isn't too high being that this is his final year in his current contract.  has anyone heard anything?
    Posted by natesubs
    its possible.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=719

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I always welcome more competition. If we need anything on this team it's LB'ing. Especially if Burgess can provide a much needed pass rush.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theplaintruth. Show theplaintruth's posts

We need the pass rush help.  Since we didn't go after Jarmon, we need to do something else.  You can never have enough arrows in your quiver.  Over the past few years, our pass rush has been deficient and left our secondary out to dry.  With the infusion of youth in the defensive backfield, a top flight pass rush will provide them the tactical advantages they will new to flourish.  Perhaps someone on the current roster may "breakout" and become that "monster", but until that happens, we need help.  We can  outscore anyone, but on the occasion (due to weather etc...) that our point totals are down, we need to be able to stop someone.  The last 2 seasons if proof of that.  With a pass rush, Eli doesn't get that pass off.  CASE CLOSED...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

In Response to Re: burgess:
    We need the pass rush help.  Since we didn't go after Jarmon, we need to do something else.  You can never have enough arrows in your quiver.  Over the past few years, our pass rush has been deficient and left our secondary out to dry.  With the infusion of youth in the defensive backfield, a top flight pass rush will provide them the tactical advantages they will new to flourish.  Perhaps someone on the current roster may "breakout" and become that "monster", but until that happens, we need help.  We can  outscore anyone, but on the occasion (due to weather etc...) that our point totals are down, we need to be able to stop someone.  The last 2 seasons if proof of that.  With a pass rush, Eli doesn't get that pass off.  CASE CLOSED...
    Posted by theplaintruth

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

I think you all have to give the young guys that Belichek has brought in a chance. Shawn Crable for starters, and then Vince Redd. Trading Vrabel was a sign that Belichek has faith in his selections and his system, why can't all you have the same?
    One would think right now, Pierre Woods gets the nod and first crack into
    the lineup, he has paid his dues. But he will be looking over his
    shoulder because Shawn Crable is standing right behind him.
    Vince Redd is a guy who might have the best raw talent and the speed.
    It's going to be an interesting season for us Patriot Fans.
    "IN BILL WE TRUST"
    Shawn Crable was drafted in the 3rd round, one would think a LB drafted that high eventually would get into the starting lineup 2 or 3 years down the road?
    On some teams possibly starter in the 1st year?
    It might not be a season to where the patriots will be killing teams out of the blocks at the first half of the season? This could be a slow start to build to a
    strong finish. If this team starts out slow, well give them a few games to get continuity at the positions. 2001 season at one point the Pats were 5-5 coming off a loss to the Rams, a game that had a lot of mistakes, but a game they could have won. After that loss, Pats made a nine game winning streak right into a
    Super Bowl victory.
    One thing to point out too, Patriots offfense will be so strong maybe the defense
    can hang back and develop into that bone crushing defense by the second half of the season?
    Any way you call it, Belichek knows what he's doing and probably doesn't need
    to bring in any veterans at this point? Maybe a reason why Jason Taylor
    decided to go back to Miami, he probably would have only played one season
    with the Patriots in that course and getting beat out by Shawn Crable eventually.
    This Patriot team still has more talent than most. The offense on paper looks
    very intimidating, S P E E D  K I L L S.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

If the pats can land Burgess for anything less than a 4th round pick or less, it would be a steal. A third rounder seems a bit steep, considering that Burgess has spent the great majority of his career as a 4-3 DE. Still, the Pats have a need here.

While "theplaintruth" doth at times speak with forked tongue (LOL!!), he is correct about the Pats needing someone who can put heat on opposing passers.

As for longhairjoe's comments about letting youth be served, and giving the young LBs a chance...the Pats a SB or bust team. Why go into the season with a bunch of unknown commodities, if a proven pass-rusher can be had at a reasonable price?   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theplaintruth. Show theplaintruth's posts

TexasPat3,
    "forked tongue here" LOL, glad we could agree on this one.  I'm sure there'll be more.  By the way, what part of TX are you in?  Although, I'm from PA, I consider TX my home, since I spent 14 years of my military career in San Antonio.  We relocated to Alaska from Cibolo... Just curious, perhaps we've crossed paths over the years...

Longhairjoe,
    I trust Bill tremendously, however, I contend that in the Super Bowl, Tom Coughlin and Bill had an unspoken bet.  Tom was betting Bill that he could use his "fresh battery" of pass rushers to get to Brady before he could get the ball out.  Guess what, Tom Coughlin won.  If our boys pan out, then great.  I'll buy you a beer at the SuperBowl Parade (you too TP3).  If they don't and Burgess gets the game clinching sack on Brady playing for a rival, We'll all be pi**ed...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

If the pats can land Burgess for anything less than a 4th round pick or less, it would be a steal. A third rounder seems a bit steep, considering that Burgess has spent the great majority of his career as a 4-3 DE. Still, the Pats have a need here.      While "theplaintruth" doth at times speak with forked tongue (LOL!!), he is correct about the Pats needing someone who can put heat on opposing passers.      As for longhairjoe's comments about letting youth be served, and giving the young LBs a chance...the Pats a SB or bust team. Why go into the season with a bunch of unknown commodities, if a proven pass-rusher can be had at a reasonable price?   
    Posted by TexasPat3
    good point texas-the pats have re-tooled with veterans,and playmakers on both sides of the ball.it dosent make sence to have unproven players in a mix that is built on a team aiming to return to the SB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TexasPat3, "forked tongue here" LOL, glad we could agree on this one.  I'm sure there'll be more.  By the way, what part of TX are you in?  Although, I'm from PA, I consider TX my home, since I spent 14 years of my military career in San Antonio.  We relocated to Alaska from Cibolo... Just curious, perhaps we've crossed paths over the years... Longhairjoe, I trust Bill tremendously, however, I contend that in the Super Bowl, Tom Coughlin and Bill had an unspoken bet.  Tom was betting Bill that he could use his "fresh battery" of pass rushers to get to Brady before he could get the ball out.  Guess what, Tom Coughlin won.  If our boys pan out, then great.  I'll buy you a beer at the SuperBowl Parade (you too TP3).  If they don't and Burgess gets the game clinching sack on Brady playing for a rival, We'll all be pi**ed...
    Posted by theplaintruth

I doubt if our paths ever crossed, Truth. I'm originally from the NE...which is why I'm such a big Pats/Sox fan.Currently, I'm currently living in South Texas...not far from SA. Incidently, isn't San Antonio a great place? People who haven't been to Texas don't realize how diverse a state it is...with the beaches, the hill country, its' cities...its' got everything. But, it lacks the four seasons...and the scenic beauty that can be only found in NE. But, it also lacks a state income tax!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to Re: burgess :      I doubt if our paths ever crossed, Truth. I'm originally from the NE...which is why I'm such a big Pats/Sox fan.Currently, I'm currently living in South Texas...not far from SA. Incidently, isn't San Antonio a great place? People who haven't been to Texas don't realize how diverse a state it is...with the beaches, the hill country, its' cities...its' got everything. But, it lacks the four seasons...and the scenic beauty that can be only found in NE. But, it also lacks a state income tax!
    Posted by TexasPat3

Take it when you lived in New England Tex you didn't live in New Hampshire.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Bill won't bite yet.... Raiders want a 2nd round. BB wants to pay a 4th.
    IT'S buyers market and bill don't like to pay!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Bill won't bite yet.... Raiders want a 2nd round. BB wants to pay a 4th. IT'S buyers market and bill don't like to pay!
    Posted by hoyle
    any clue on who this guy is?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5411

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: burgess : any clue on who this guy is? http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5411
    Posted by mosseffect43

while i like the idea of bringing in more depth i would like for it to be a veteran OLB rather than a rookie especially since crable is on the PUP list right now. sulak sounds interesting but i am questioning the talent due to him being originally taken in the 6th round, and cut by oakland.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Is the prospect of Burgess really worth this much talk?  Plus, the last thing Oakland wants is to be the loser of another trade with New England.  I know from a personal experiance the President of the Raiders is bitter, not just at the league, but at New England.  She mentioned in a 2008 speech her favorite recent moment was when the Patriots lost to the Dolphins at the beginning of the 2008-2009 season.  Talk about a loser!

In fairness, I can remember mid 2006 they were discussing trading for Moss, I thought it wouldn't happen and I didn't know that he would add that much.  Yeah - I was wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Is the prospect of Burgess really worth this much talk?  Plus, the last thing Oakland wants is to be the loser of another trade with New England.  I know from a personal experiance the President of the Raiders is bitter, not just at the league, but at New England.  She mentioned in a 2008 speech her favorite recent moment was when the Patriots lost to the Dolphins at the beginning of the 2008-2009 season.  Talk about a loser! In fairness, I can remember mid 2006 they were discussing trading for Moss, I thought it wouldn't happen and I didn't know that he would add that much.  Yeah - I was wrong.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

Did everyone forget how pissed off Al Davis was that Lamont Jordan was signed by the Patriots after they released him? The senile old fool tried to get Goodell to void the signing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Re: burgess : any clue on who this guy is? http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5411
    Posted by mosseffect43

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/04/08/stryker-sulak-sheds-his-shell-missouri-football-te/

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d80f34a7c/2009-Combine-workout-Stryker-Sulak

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2009/draft/players/21226.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Stryker Sulak looked pretty good at the combine (thank you for the links passedball)and he had a fairly active SR. year at U of Mizzou making 2nd team Big 12. The next question is what happened at Oakland that he didn't sign a rookie contract?If he can cover a TE or a RB out of the backfield then by all means give him a shot.His 40 time at the combine was impressive 4.77 he played more DE at UM.... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: burgess :   while i like the idea of bringing in more depth i would like for it to be a veteran OLB rather than a rookie especially since crable is on the PUP list right now. sulak sounds interesting but i am questioning the talent due to him being originally taken in the 6th round, and cut by oakland.
    Posted by natesubs
    maybe.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=719

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

he is now holding out from training camp! probably still wants traded here.
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32207673

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I just don't see the Raiders pulling the trigger on this deal unless they got the world in return.  Their president is very bitter at the league and, if possible, more so at the Patriots.  They've been burned directly by New England twice in the past two years and the last thing they want is for him to come here and have double digit sacks in exchange for a 5th rounder.

Their team would probably benefit by flushing out any player with issues and, essentially, by starting over.  However, their brand is just being dragged through the mud in the latter part of this decade.  I love Lombardi referring to the organization as 'the hotel' because it is so true.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

there wanting a third,and a fourth.they are dreaming.a fourth is fair,or they will end up cutting him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

there wanting a third,and a fourth.they are dreaming.a fourth is fair,or they will end up cutting him.
    Posted by mosseffect43

I realize that they wll probably end up cutting him but they will do so after training camp. I would give up the 4th round pick in order to get him during training camp so he has more time to learn the system and practice with the pats players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: burgess :      I doubt if our paths ever crossed, Truth. I'm originally from the NE...which is why I'm such a big Pats/Sox fan.Currently, I'm currently living in South Texas...not far from SA. Incidently, isn't San Antonio a great place? People who haven't been to Texas don't realize how diverse a state it is...with the beaches, the hill country, its' cities...its' got everything. But, it lacks the four seasons...and the scenic beauty that can be only found in NE. But, it also lacks a state income tax!
    Posted by TexasPat3

TEX: I never stayed long in Texas, but, San Antonio & Austin definitely top BigSprings & Houston.
    on Burgess: I don't think he would be an asset in NE. He's just not Patriot quality IMO. I've seen no flash from the guy in the all losses an no wins the Raiders have incurred at the hands of the Chargers. Morrison is better on the Raiders. I know he's an ILB but he's the only guy on the OAK front 7 worthy of even consideration IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Servmgr. Show Servmgr's posts

The Pats definitley need help @ OLB, Crable is hurt, Banta Cain, Pierre Woods, the outlook from camp is that we still need help our existing people are not the answer.

Sections
Shortcuts