Butler and Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Butler and Chung

Will Butler and Chung become the next Law and Milloy dynamic duo?? It could happen.  Minus the greed factor at the end I hope!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Butler and Chung

That might be jumping teh gun since neither has even played a game yet but if they do turn out to be that good we will look back on this draft and talk about what a steal they both were.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Greed, really? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I hope they become starters too. But Law (best Pats corner ever ?  Haynes) and Milloy is a bit much to expect in their rookie season. I'd be happy if the got a decent % of snaps by mid-season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

Greed, really? 
    Posted by underdogg

Yes, really.

Corner backs these days think they should get paid more than the wide recievers and quarterbacks they are covering.  Only problem is that there are upwards of 3-4 of them on the field at a time nowadays which is opressively expensive if you pay them all enough to "be able to feed their families" - in case you forgot that quote.

How much are you a-holes paying Hayden these days?

Worth it?

Nmandi Asomugha = 15M/year.....  worth it?????

Cornerbacks these days are the greediest sob's in the game right now, especially considering they rely on every other player on the field to be able to do their jobs effectively.

.... yes, really.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- " . . .  which is opressively expensive if you pay them all enough to 'be able to feed their families.'" --

Spre had to sell his boat in order to feed his family (or was it to pay his taxes? I forget). 15 mil just doesn't buy what it used to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

At least with higher prices to veteran corners, drafted rookie corners are relatively cheaper.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

You A-holes?  I don't know what is going on in your world to deserve that comment, but maybe a little ex-lax would help. 

I always find it amusing that pats fans immediately turn on the players they love the moment it is made public that the team and the player do not agree on future compensation or that a player chooses another team because that team is offering more money. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

You A-holes?  I don't know what is going on in your world to deserve that comment, but maybe a little ex-lax would help.  I always find it amusing that pats fans immediately turn on the players they love the moment it is made public that the team and the player do not agree on future compensation or that a player chooses another team because that team is offering more money. 
    Posted by underdogg

And you're saying this is unique to Patriot fans? You're dead wrong.

This is part of the psychology of sports. Go to any baseball stadium and you'll hear much booing whenever a former homie shows up wearing the visiting team's uniform.

BTW, since you're obviously not a Patriot fan, what are you even doing on this forum, troll?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Maybe that's because they don't love the players.
    They love the team.
    Jerry Seinfeld described this as rooting for the laundry, and while I wouldn't get too carried away with terms like "always" and "immediately", I tend to agree with it. I don't really care how much money players make, or how they promote themselves, or even what they like to kill in their spare time. I've always rooted for the Pats, and while my favorite players have always been Pats lifers like Steve Grogan and Steve Nelson (hmmm . . .   maybe it's just guys named Steve), I don't begrudge players like Ty Law or Damien Woody or Deion Branch or Asante Samuel or . . .  whomever, lighting out for more money. That's their privilege. The reason I don't root for them anymore isn't because they're selfish, inner-directed, greedy doucheb*gs (although they may be); the reason I don't root for them anymore is because I don't root for anyone that isn't on the Pats.

That said, I am seriously considering making an exception in the case of Matt Cassel.

More details will be available as they develop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Another Milloy and Law would be great, but I think it's a little early to make those types of comparisons.  However, I'm pretty confident that Chung won't be another Mike Doss, the gun-toting thug from 'The' Ohio State University. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Will Butler and Chung become the next Law and Milloy dynamic duo?? It could happen.  Minus the greed factor at the end I hope!! 
    Posted by Clay73

Time will tell if they ever reach that level of play but, if they have the talent, they're in the right place to succeed! We at least have major upgrades in both positions.

I know I'm really looking forward to watching a young Rodney out there, laying the wood to receivers coming over the middle! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Most players are not Ashmougha or Asante. They have short injury-plagued careers whilst making a relatively low salary compared to the elite NFL players. I never begrudge a player for wanting more money. Most of the NFL players are at a loss for what to do when their playing careers are over and it's not like the players have Havard Law degrees; if you can set your family up for life by playing 3-6 years in the NFL (or longer) why not do it.

As for Butler and Chung both will work their way into the DB rotation (and I do mean work) gradually. The Law/ Milloy analogy is way too premature. As is often the case with many Pats players, they will be better players come their 2nd and 3rd years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Maybe that's because they don't love the players. They love the team. Jerry Seinfeld described this as rooting for the laundry, and while I wouldn't get too carried away with terms like "always" and "immediately", I tend to agree with it. I don't really care how much money players make, or how they promote themselves, or even what they like to kill in their spare time. I've always rooted for the Pats, and while my favorite players have always been Pats lifers like Steve Grogan and Steve Nelson (hmmm . . .   maybe it's just guys named Steve), I don't begrudge players like Ty Law or Damien Woody or Deion Branch or Asante Samuel or . . .  whomever, lighting out for more money. That's their privilege. The reason I don't root for them anymore isn't because they're selfish, inner-directed, greedy doucheb*gs (although they may be); the reason I don't root for them anymore is because I don't root for anyone that isn't on the Pats. That said, I am seriously considering making an exception in the case of Matt Cassel. More details will be available as they develop.
    Posted by prairiemike

I think the general rule has been that if the player became a free agent that we have been fair with them, even wishing them well after big contracts. The problem I've had, most of us have had, are the players who forced their way out or were generally nasty to Boston (or just disappointing) on the way out, Deion Branch, Eric Mangini, Rick Pitino, Manny Ramirez, Adam Vinatieri, Johnny Damon, and Terry Glenn for instance. Mostly, though, I'm happy for the players to get their contract, Heath Evans, Lonnie Paxton, David Givens, and coaches/management for their own team, Pioli, McDaniels, Crennell, Dimitroff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Very well said Pmike, and I agree abotu cassel he might be the exception to teh rule lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

It wouldn't make sense for Chung to become a gun toting mike doss.  he would become a gun toting chung along with his backfield mate gun toting merriweather.  Or maybe he will become a car using cop bumper Chung like his teammate car using cop bumper Randy Moss or a felony level illegal drug possessor chung like his teammate felony level illegal drug possessor Nick Kaczur.  Or maybe he will choose to be like none of his teammates.  His future is wide open.

What that has to do with hating former pats only because they want more money than the team is willing to offer is beyond me. 

For those of you who have stated you don't hate those players for leaving for money, maybe that is true of you, but you cannot deny that there are many on this board who have. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

So . . .

Your point is that there a lots of different kinds of people in the world?

Hmmm . . .

Kind of going out on a limb there, aren't you dogg?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Underdogg you should really do your research before you make a post like that, incase you dont already know Brandon Merriwhether broke no laws while he was in college, he has a American right to bare arms and he had a registered hand gun which is not against the law and the incident you are speaking of was also with in his right to defend himself. He was walking out of his friends on campus town house when two men inside a car started shooting at Merriwhther and his friend, he saw them outside before he left the house and took his gun with him for protection and when they opened fire on him and he drew his legally registerd hand gun and fired back probally saving both his and his friends life and he was never charged with any crime. The one thing you can say about it is instead of bringing his gun with him he should have just called the cops but he still didnt break the law. This was not like Plexico bringing a gun to a night club this is a kid who went through all the proper channels to obtain a hand gun and then when he did use it he did so in self defense. And he has been no trouble what so ever sincehe has been drafted so its really BS for you to go after him like that.

Now for the part of your post, once a player is no longer a Pat he is no longer part of Patriot Nation. Guys like Will Mcginnest gets a pass cause he played here for so long but other then that why should us fan be nice about people going to other teams? They are not on our team anymore and although i might look back and smile on what they did for us when they were still Pats i wont take it easy on a guy just cause he played here. Ty Law was a greedy POS and everyone knows it. Lawyor Malloy was the same guy, they asked him to take a pay cut and he wouldnt and so he was allowed to go "get paid" somewhere else and we kept on winning with out him. Thats the way it goes, no one player is bigger then the whole and if someone does not want to be apart of what we got going on here so they can get paid then i say f*ck them. you dont have to agree and you dont have to like it but thats the way it goes in every sport in every city all over the world. There are packer fans right now hating on brett farve who gave them 18 years of his life so get off your high horse, it happens everywhere not just in Patriot Nation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Exactly Mike, but I am comfortable.  Its a big limb.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas - thanks for the history on Merriweather, but who said anything about breaking gun laws?

To your other point, I think its fine to root against players who leave, but too many here (although no one seems to be admitting now) have hated players under the guise of greed. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I admitt it, they are greedy player and i dont like them. I like guys liek Bruschi who take less money so they can play their entire career in one place. I like old school players who are not all about the money. I like players who pay their respect, Bill belichick takes a shot on a guy Liek samuel who many others would have cut in year two but we brought him along and helped him become one of the best in the league and then he holds out and leaves town for more money? I openly hate players like that. If you are a player and you want to win championships you dont leave a team like NE unless you are being greedy and you are only in it for the money. If you dont mind player like that then thats your right but i openly hate those people and they ruin sports.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

How do you know bruschi took less money, and how does that make him old school?  I am willing to bet that those "old school" players were not all about the money because the league and teams had the players by the cajones and were squeezing. 

By the way - how do you know Samuel would have been cut?  And didn't he play out his contract?  If the pats were so broken by his departure, they could have paid him not to leave.  They could have given him a better contract at the time he signed to show how much they appreciated him.  What's that?  They weren't going to pay him if he wasn't any good?  So, when he proved he was, the pats had an option. 

Is adelius thomas ruining sports for taking a contract with the pats because the Ravens couldn't afford him?  

Remember this game is a business too.  The pats haven't forgotten it.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trox1. Show Trox1's posts

How do you know bruschi took less money, and how does that make him old school?  I am willing to bet that those "old school" players were not all about the money because the league and teams had the players by the cajones and were squeezing.  By the way - how do you know Samuel would have been cut?  And didn't he play out his contract?  If the pats were so broken by his departure, they could have paid him not to leave.  They could have given him a better contract at the time he signed to show how much they appreciated him.  What's that?  They weren't going to pay him if he wasn't any good?  So, when he proved he was, the pats had an option.  Is adelius thomas ruining sports for taking a contract with the pats because the Ravens couldn't afford him?   Remember this game is a business too.  The pats haven't forgotten it.   
    Posted by underdogg

Actually Bruschi has most definitely taken the home town discount to stay a Patriot.  If I'm not mistaken he doesn't employ an agent.  Instead he negotiates his own contract.  He gets himself a fair amount of money but certainly not the most he could.  By doing this he doesn't cripple his team and it allows them to sign people they wouldn't be able to if every player on the team was going for the biggest contract.

Tom Brady,the greatest player to ever play the game, has restructured his contract numerous times and plays below his true market value. I have no problem when players like Damien Woody when they leave NE for bigger contracts.  I do have a problem when they say its not about the money when clearly it is.  Players like Asante are about the money.   Theirs nothing wrong with that by the way.  My personal preference is for players that are willing to play a little below their true market value.  Players that do that show that winning is what matters to them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

So other than Tas (MVP) no one is now willing to admit they hate former players because they left for more money.  hmmm.

There is a difference between taking a hometown discount and being lowballed.  Don't assume that the pats haven't lowballed a few players along the way. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Actually Bruschi has most definitely taken the home town discount to stay a Patriot.  If I'm not mistaken he doesn't employ an agent.  Instead he negotiates his own contract.  He gets himself a fair amount of money but certainly not the most he could.  By doing this he doesn't cripple his team and it allows them to sign people they wouldn't be able to if every player on the team was going for the biggest contract.  Tom Brady,the greatest player to ever play the game, has restructured his contract numerous times and plays below his true market value. I have no problem when players like Damien Woody when they leave NE for bigger contracts.  I do have a problem when they say its not about the money when clearly it is.  Players like Asante are about the money.   Theirs nothing wrong with that by the way.  My personal preference is for players that are willing to play a little below their true market value.  Players that do that show that winning is what matters to them.
    Posted by Trox1

Trox1 I can't read the posts looking at your avatar, dang she looks good.  Too bad she's been Romozied.

Sections
Shortcuts