Butler vs McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Butler vs McCourty

All you here is how great Butler has been in Camp this year. I wrote in an earlier thread that the People who hated the drafting of McCourty, probably never saw him play.McCourty looks every bit as good as Butler does out there right now.I hope they both get better as the year goes along. Right now McCourty looks every bit the solid first round Pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Re: Butler vs McCourty

hell yea... ppl were killing the mccourty pick... People need to go back to "In bill we trust" because im sure he forgot more about football than all of us on this board combined know about football.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Yes people killed the McCOurty pick, but it wasnt because it was a bad pick, it was because they wanted a pass rush guy, either OLB or DE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well Wilhite continues to unimpress ... he costs the team 15 yards with his bonehead interception on 4th down and then celebrates.  Clearly values himself above the team.  Cut him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Wilhites's weird dance confused me. You can't impress the ladies with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Butler vs McCourty:
    All you here is how great Butler has been in Camp this year. I wrote in an earlier thread that the People who hated the drafting of McCourty, probably never saw him play.McCourty looks every bit as good as Butler does out there right now.I hope they both get better as the year goes along. Right now McCourty looks every bit the solid first round Pick.
    Posted by patriots44

McCourty is getting more playing time than anyone on the team so they must see some seious potential. That's a tough position to learn but he could have some seasoning by the time the Playoffs come around and be an asset to the secondary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

McCourty was one of the better 1st round picks this year, this guy will make plays on D and special teams.

Remember reading, the pick was a bad one what happened to the pass rush ect.  In an interview with BB he said he looks for guys who can play the more downs for a high pick.  McCourty will play CB, KR, PR, K and P coverage.

Weatley looks really good also, if he can keep it up as a slot guy I can't remember the last time the Pats could put 4 or 5 CBs on the field and none be a risk. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Seems like all of a sudden we got deep at CB. Between McCourty, Butler and Bodden, who starts? I guess this is a good problem to have. 

Between the CB's and Safeties, I love our secondary. We are going to have some trade bait in a week or two. I can't see the Pats cutting a few of these guys, but rather instead trying to trade them for picks next year or maybe even a player?

Anyone want to take a guess or two who may get traded or released from our secondary?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

When the dust settles, Bodden and McCourty will be the starting corners, though it may be a few games into the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

As many of the people on here already know, I think Butler is overrated. I do think McCourty will be owning one of the starting CB spots very early on in the season!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Chung has also impressed me this year. I just hope that our D-Line can hold up and not get pushed around. Wilfork and Warren look good. I'm just not sure that Wright can be an every down player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

In Response to Re: Butler vs McCourty:
    Seems like all of a sudden we got deep at CB. Between McCourty, Butler and Bodden, who starts? I guess this is a good problem to have.  Between the CB's and Safeties, I love our secondary. We are going to have some trade bait in a week or two. I can't see the Pats cutting a few of these guys, but rather instead trying to trade them for picks next year or maybe even a player? Anyone want to take a guess or two who may get traded or released from our secondary?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Trade? There won't be anyone traded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Anybody who can out muscle Roddy White at the line and stay with him step for step deserves a starting role. McCourty appears to be the total package. He can tackle,cover,jump,bump and be a huge asset in supporting the run.

The play he made diving from 7 yards away(I think 2nd qtr) and almost getting the pick was one of the best I've seen in a while. He was 12 yards off the defender and didn't start towards him until the ball was in the air on a 13 yard pass and he got his hand on the ball. The kid has amazing range for his size.

His playing well takes away nothing from Butler. This is a good problem to have. 3 starting CB's on one team with 2 solid guys behind them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's very early, but it looks like McCourty is going to be a good player.  Every year this team seems to have injuries at the CB position so having options is never a bad thing.  I like the depth at CB, especially now that Wheatley seems to be injury free. 

I never try to get ahead of myself when making assessments, but to me, it's seeming pretty clear that the past two drafts have been home runs.  Things can change, but those two drafts (and next year) could set this team up for a long time. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'll take McCourty over Butler because McCourty is great in press coverage and if a defense can't generate a pass rush they'll need CBs that can man handle the WRs at the LOS. Butler is still cool, but press coverage is very important. 

BTW, who was the guy who created that "Chung s*cks, he can't cover" thread last year? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

Think about the idea that BB has 2 1st rd picks and 1 2nd rd picks next April. Oh my.
    Posted by russgriswold

2 firsts and 2 seconds

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Butler vs McCourty : 2 firsts and  2 seconds
    Posted by marvcook

Not only were people upset about the McCourty pick but they also wanted us to take the smurf the JETS got (Wilson). Wheatley is really impressing - if Wheatley was not motivated enough I am sure the release of Crable spoke volumes to him. The secondary is all set for a few years.

I still would like to have another top OLB and DE to create a pass rush to help the secondary. I think we can be stout against the run, but opposing QBs sitting back there all day frustrates me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Likely starters/key reserves from the past few drafts:

09                      10

Chung                 Spikes
    Butler                 Cunningham
    Vollmer               Gronkowski
    Brace                 McCourty
    Tate                  Price          
    McKenzie            Hernandez
    Ingram               Mesko
    Ohrenberger        Deaderick
    Edelman

Not all are destined to be stars, but all look like contributors.  And there are some I'm not naming who will contribute as well. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Think about the idea that BB has 2 1st rd picks and 1 2nd rd picks next April. Oh my.
    Posted by russgriswold

Only problem, Russ, is that Roger Goodell is thinking about that, too, and is likely hard at work hatching some bogus plan to strip the Pats of one of those 1st rounders!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I agree with the general assessment that McCourty is beating out Butler so far. And why shouldn't he? He is 1st rd talent, Butler is 2nd rd talent.  We shall see, but like people have said, this is exactly what you want.  You want competition, depth and to see it filter down. You add in a seasoned Bodden, and NE's CBs will once again be a strength instead of trolls and jealous fans constantly babbling about how weak they are.  Most depth, speed and athleticism BB has EVER had in this area and the best since 2003 and 2004, when Samuel was ascending. If McCourty is Samuel for example, they have Butler, Arrington, Wheatley and Whilhite in the pipeline right behind those two draft picks in the last 2 years. This should bode well when the continuity takes shape.
    Posted by russgriswold
    McCourty is also a much better Tackler than Butler.He gives the defense a certain toughness from the CB spot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I mentioned this before concerning this pick... McCourty was a top tallent on most boards and was the second best CB at worst. Personally I liked him over the rest of the CB's available due in part to his ability on special teams, but mostly for his coverage skills.
    Having said all that I am still suprised BB didn't go OLB or DE for the pass rush but then you look at the WR's we face every year now in the AFC East alone and a solid defensive backfield is of paramount importance.
    My best guess is the starting DB's come week one are Merriweather and Chung at Safety and Bodden and McCourty at CB and Butler at nickle.  And they have a pretty strong group of youth and experience to fill out the roster.
    By years end I could see them being a huge strength of this team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

McCourty strikes me as the likely starter, with Butler being the primary back-up to both Bodden and McCourty.  That assumes, of course, that Bodden isn't injured at the start of the season--something that I admit I'm a bit concerned about given Bodden's continued absence from practice and games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Butler vs McCourty:
    Posted by patriots44

I am one of those folks who didn't see him play and didn't like him for our first pick - but not because he isn't a good player - moreso because the Patriots didn't address their Pass Rush problems.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I mentioned this before concerning this pick... McCourty was a top tallent on most boards and was the second best CB at worst. Personally I liked him over the rest of the CB's available due in part to his ability on special teams, but mostly for his coverage skills. Having said all that I am still suprised BB didn't go OLB or DE for the pass rush but then you look at the WR's we face every year now in the AFC East alone and a solid defensive backfield is of paramount importance. My best guess is the starting DB's come week one are Merriweather and Chung at Safety and Bodden and McCourty at CB and Butler at nickle.  And they have a pretty strong group of youth and experience to fill out the roster. By years end I could see them being a huge strength of this team. 
    Posted by DaBlade
    Bodden and McCourty with Butler and Wheatley in the Nickle and Dime packages. This would provide great Matchups for our defense

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

VS implies that there is a competition between the two when that's not really the case.

Bodden will cover the tall rangy guys like Moss, TO or Chad Johnson.

Butler is a slick cover guy more like Asante Samuel and will be matched up against the 6 foot speed demons. 

McCourty is more physical Ty Law type defender and has more range than the other two, he may also factor heavily in special teams packages so you may not want to start him anyhow but he is young enough to do a lot of heavy lifting.

Wheately covers small slot receivers and the rest of the players fill in the gaps, with the heavy use of 3 receiver sets and spread formations having a stable of corners is wise...

Sections
Shortcuts