Butler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Butler

I live in Atlanta and do not get to watch a lot of the games (thank God for NFL Redzone this season).  the games I did see Butler looked like he was doing a nice job as a nickel back, but has been innactive. 
    Anyone know if that's because springs is coming around or is the kid hurt?  I really like this pick and think in another year he'll be better than Asante.
    I tracked this kid all spring even at Prime time's school for DBs, he's a baller and Deon was really high on this kid.
    Where is he?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

Re: Butler

don't know but agree...he's played well this year and seems to have a lot of upside.  I hope it's that Springs is healthy and playing well and not that he's injured. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I read a piece yesterday from Mike Reiss stating that he was a inactive due to bringing Springs in and also keeping Kyle Arrington on the roster who has been a beast on Special Teams. 

Other than that he has had his ups and downs.  Some good games and others were they have just picked on him.  I have seen some potential and room for growth, but to say he will be better than Asante.  I'm not sure about that.  Its still way to early to say.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I agree, I think it's purely a numbers and who can do what with special teams.  Coaches view and value those situations and scenarios much differently than fans...no disrespect intended. 

Brace on the other hand ....I dunno .....they clearly reasoned that he would part of the mix Sunday and then after that first series by Jax (even thought we held them on 4th down) pulled his butt out of there.  I'm very concerned that this guy is a monumental bust.  I've never seen a DL rise from depths like this.  Hiostroically they burst on the scene and play decently.  Abou the only guy I can recall (and he hada lot more hype as the #1 pick was "game-Day Sims".  He became pretty serviceable ....a Ty Warren type.....as his career progressed.

Brace seems weak out there to me....at the point of attack.....that's what is disturbing.  Maybe that's why they had 4 2nd rounders last year .....it's (draft) a crapshoot

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

You have to give a player at least one NFL off season of training before you call him a bust.  Its rediculous to say Brace is a bust.  Hes a big strong dude, his issues are with technique.  They can be fixed!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

The Backfield was horrible all year, up until the last few games.  They were constantly out of position and frankly looked incompetent.

What BB did, deactivating the rookies, Replacing Wilhite at CB and dumbing down the defense has worked.  Hopefully it can jell and lead us to another Super Bowl.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Drafted Defensive Tackles
    NAMEPOSSCHOOLROUNDPK(OVR)TEAM        Tackles 
     B.J. RajiDTBoston College19(9)Green Bay       23
     Peria JerryDTMississippi124(24)Atlanta           1
     Evander HoodDTMissouri132(32)Pittsburgh       8
     Ron Brace Player has NewsDTBoston College28(40)New Englan     8
     Fili Moala Player has NewsDTUSC224(56)Indianapoli     6
    M Pryor         DT   Ken            6                     NE            19

So Brace's 8 tackles for the year is in line with the other rookie DL drafted this year.  None of the DTs selected above Ron Brace are currently starting for their teams. BJ Raji is a regular sub and has had some success but that's it (and he was the 9th pick in the draft). 

So it's not that Ron Brace is a bust. It's more likely that M Pryor is exceeding expectations in his rookie year.  Ron Brace is on pace with the other DTs selected above and below him in the draft. 

Give it some time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Butler has had his chances- and looked lost, being beaten seveal times, and at others. out of position. He never impressed me at all. So, with fellow D backfield draftee, Chung, also not showing much, but some  celebrating, along with all his tatoos( he looks like he belongs in the circus sideshow!!), BB had better be ready at Draft Time to again add D backfield help---- #1 -- Taylor Mays, USC, safety, 6'2", 220 lbs, speed, big hitter, tackler, a Rodney Harrison clone. he will go in round 1 so be ready to move right up aggressively and get this can't miss, future all pro.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

bobomul what are you talking about?

Peria Jerry started 2 games from the very start and was a considered a run stopping force before blowing out his knee and being placed on injured reserve.

Talk about painting a distorted picture.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Peria Jerry
    Peria Jerry  #94  DT
    Stats OverviewTacklesMiscInterceptions
    SPLITTOTSOLOASTSACKSTFSTFYFFBKINTYDSAVGLNGTDPD
    Projected10100000000000
    Career1010.00000000.0000

Obviously Jerry Piera had a MONSTER year in 2009. 1 total tackle! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Did I actually just read a positive spin on old friend Kenny "Game Day?"

Sims didn't actually s*ck, but he suffered some injuries and there was so much hype on him coming out of Texas that he couldn't have lived up to it if he'd been the second coming of Carl Eller. When Sims turned out to be merely serviceable, people looked at him as a bum, not least because of the "I save my best for game day" comments.

Brace is probably suffering seperation anxiety from B.J. Raji and is adjusting to the speed and strength at this level. Strength and technique are things he can work on and I wouldn't write the kid off just yet, but would hope to see marked improvement going into next season.

Defensive back is a whole different animal and, while Butler clearly has the speed, he's going to have to learn the zone schemes and develop some instincts. I don't remember Asante being any great shakes his first couple years in the league. I think Butler will be fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Good post Prairie Mike, Butler is a young corner with plenty of raw ability, but the instincts that are needed to excel at the position can only be had with time.  Give him a few years, expect growing pains, and then let's see how he pans out.  I predict he'll be a quality outside corner for the Pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

Very glad someone started a thread on Our young talented CB...  After I was reading some of the reviews on that analysis of this past draft we had, I got to thinking about Darius Butler.  IMO he's been pretty unfairly criticized by some here.  This kid went from UConn a single year ago, my alma mater, a still very young upstart College 1A Program making a good name for itself in just a few short years, to being at times the starting CB on this decade's A#1 Professional football's dynastic team.  Not only is the upswing in talent he's seeing now, 50 levels above what he's faced his whole life, but Everyone's gotta remember, Bill Polian hasn't yet been able to debase College Ball yet with his NFL-glorified-soccer "Ty Law Rules"... 

AND I'm not even refering to the Phantom Peyton Interference call unjustly placed on his head, I'm simply pointing out that The overall rules for a College-DB transitioning to NFL-DB have never been more greater than they are now.  Then You take into account specifics of the "Team" Game, And for instance, You see Merriweather, who's my favorite Patriot-Player, BUT it was him (Merriweather)alone that bit on 2 EXACT same plays (Saints and Ravens I believe), Both underneath decoy routes, attempting to make a big play, rather than do his (Merriweather's deep coverage) job by staying set as that last defender to help, and so the CB isn't left on an island on a long-pass route, which I believe Butler WAS that CB at least 1 of the times. 

NOW, Further this with the almost entirely inept, in an NFL-sense, Pass Rush by the front 7, and LMAO, some are seriously saying "Darius Butler is alone at fault AND a 'bust'?"  Gimme a break, This kid has something like 33 Tackles, 9 Passes Defensed, and 2 Interceptions...As a Rookie playing by new rules, vastly better talent-faced, on a team that ALL teams bring their A-Game for, having zero help with a pass-rush, and multiple instances of blown help by a Vet-Safety...  I mean, Are We ALL watching the same game here, because I'm really not sure what's going on?

Sections
Shortcuts