Bye, Bye Bennie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Bye, Bye Bennie

The Law Firm might relocate.

Despite "dialogue" with the Patriots, running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis is set explore the free-agent market after failing to reach "an agreeable offer" with the team, according to CSN New England.

Green-Ellis shouldn't encounter much trouble finding work. 

Barry Sanders he's not, but with a 1,000-yard season in 2010 and 667 yards in 2011 (best on the team), he's well-suited for today's backfield-by-committee craze. And how many teams could use a runner who has never fumbled in 510 attempts during his four-year career?

If the Pats don't find a way to bring Green-Ellis back into the fold, it raises questions about New England's backfield heading into next season.

Little (but electric) Danny Woodhead can't do it alone. We've yet to see enough from second-year player Shane Vereen, but Stevan Ridley and his 5.1 yards per carry offer hope. Meanwhile, old-as-the-trees Kevin Faulk is contemplating retirement.

Knowing Bill Belichick's obsession for roster versatility, the Pats might even keep handing the rock to tight end Aaron Hernandez, who led the Pats with 61 rushing yards in their divisional-round win over the Broncos, but someone else better step up if The Law Firm closes its doors on New England.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: Bye, Bye Bennie

Unless they have something up their sleeve, this is not good. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

There is a reason NE spent 2 picks on running backs in the last draft.  If it wasn't clear then it sure is now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

If he does leave I wish him the best, hardworking dude who I underestimated a few years back.  Paging Stevan Ridley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I am not buying that. The reason is Sammy Morris retiring and Faulk off a blown out leg. That's why they targeted two RBs with different skill sets in the draft. 

They won't enter the season with Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen.  It best not be happening. You don't throw out a guy you developed who has never fumbled, is raely dinged up, when used as a lead back you never lose, etc, and just throw caution to the wind with 2 1sts and 2 2nds in the draft.

If they do walk away from him, they best have a really nice contingency plan.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Didn't Ridley fumble in the AFC CG? Never to be seen again in the playoffs? BJGE is an intrical part of this offense and he would be hard to replace.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Good. Maybe this means we will bring in a Real "feature back" to go along with the complimentary guys we have already.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Trade for Maurice Jones-Drew.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

You know what lets be honest. Benny can be replaced.

Benny though in his tenure here was nothing but a hard worker who did his job. He started as an undrafted free agent and worked his rear end up that depth chart. 2008 he got a good shot due to the entire stable of RBs going down but he had to re earn it each year and in 2010-11 he came out with 1000+ yards. 

If he gets a bigger check I will miss him but expect longer runs for TDs. I don't think Bill will lose any sleep over losing Benny as hes someone you don't overpay but is a great locker room guy.

Hoping he loves the area enough to not take the deal from KC. I think he will let the Pats resign but if he gets too rich of an offer its bye bye.

We have Ridley and Vereen and RBs can be found in the darkest depths of the draft. Not a hard position to find. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The scariest part about letting Benny walk is the uncertainty at an underrated and under appreciated position. If Ridley stumbles out of the gate I fear we will once again become over reliant on Tom Brady and his 35 year old arm....especially in the post season.

We have all seen what happens with our one dimensional offense come the biggest games of the year....it fails.

We can't have enough running backs and going in with 2 unknowns and 4ft 11 Danny Woodhead could be the biggest mistake of 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Well, lets look at the bright side, maybe BB sees potential in Ridley/Vereen to be the one-two punch that we need and BJGE has become expendable?

Heck, BB knows more about the roster then we do so lets just let this play out. Maybe he goes after Bush? Who knows, lets wait and see...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Bye, Bye Bennie:
    The scariest part about letting Benny walk is the uncertainty at an underrated and under appreciated position. If Ridley stumbles out of the gate I fear we will once again become over reliant on Tom Brady and his 35 year old arm....especially in the post season. We have all seen what happens with our one dimensional offense come the biggest games of the year....it fails. We can't have enough running backs and going in with 2 unknowns and 4ft 11 Danny Woodhead could be the biggest mistake of 2012.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Absolutely. As usual, you and I are on the same page thinking ahead. 

I can just see it now:

"RIdley stinks! Who cares if he gets 7 carries per game!  He does nothing when subbed in and out of the game!"

"Brady is our best player and he should be throwing 40 times per game, it's our best chance to win!"

lol

I mean, it's just flat out torture here.  Even if they sign a veteran at good value, we have no idea if he fits and we'll never see a rookie RB earn the trust of Brady anyway, so we're looking at a Ridley/Vereen and Woodhead trio, which isn't as deep was we need.  If you couldn't trust Ridley and Vereen due to health or a fumbling issue (likely an overblown thing), then why are you expexting one of them to be a lead back now?

Ridley has all the tools to be that guy, this team will still need one stable, steady RB in the mix if BJGE leaves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We agree about the offensive failures but not about the reasons. You somehow have convinced yourself it is all Brady's fault. I say it is the lack of real offensive coaching.

I am in hopes that Mcd will bring back a balance to the offense and some versatility. In the 07 playoffs he recognized the dramatic switch in game planning against our offense and killed teams with Maroney.

Then in 2008 he recognized we could be successful by running the football. Yes it was out of necessity but he made it work. I have faith in McD if not for the fact i have no choice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I guess. I don't think it's all on Brady. I was the guy bashing O'Brien since the Buffalo game in Week 3.  But, Brady absolutely needs to be held responsible for the decisions during the game in between snaps. Without question.Next to Manning, there isn't one QB in this league with more autonomy in this offense than #12.  It's both. It's about the relationship and trust and all that.  Weis and Brady had it.

Brady and McDaniels are buddies, so they had some semblance of it. 

That said, I do agree, McDaniels has shown to adjust quicker than O"brien, so I hope he and Brady's realtionship is more harmonious to allow this to happen.

I thnk the 2007 AFC title game is a good example.  I am still very concerned about tthis being such a deep rooted problem it's too late, but I'd love to be wrong on that.  When I see Chris Gasper writing articles about Brady needing more high end weapons, I feel I'm more on the right track after reading that crap.  All of a sudden, our all world QB needs to be even more spoiled than the Brady who won 3 SBs with less flash at the WR position.  It just makes no sense. 

McDaniels can show us he's matured and learned while being away from the organization, because this ain't 2007.  I am sure he loves the TE situation, but I'd like him to love an RB situation too.

What's the old saying, starve a cold, feed a fever?  Yeah.  We need to find a way to get Brady off the addcition of expecting 7 seconds in the pocket on every down, and staring down the middle of the field.  Brady has a cold and we need to starve him.  Our RBs have the fever and need to be fed.

Run game and playaction solves that problem really quick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I guess. I don't think it's all on Brady. I was the guy bashing O'Brien since the Buffalo game in Week 3.  But, Brady absolutely needs to be held responsible for the decisions during the game in between snaps. Without question.Next to Manning, there isn't one QB in this league with more autonomy in this offense than #12.  It's both. It's about the relationship and trust and all that.  Weis and Brady had it. Brady and McDaniels are buddies, so they had some semblance of it.  That said, I do agree, McDaniels has shown to adjust quicker than O"brien, so I hope he and Brady's realtionship is more harmonious to allow this to happen. I thnk the 2007 AFC title game is a good example.  I am still very concerned abou tthis being such a deep rooted problem it's too late, but I'd love to be wrong on that. McDaniels can show us he's matured and learned while being away from the organization, because this ain't 2007.  I am sure he loves the TE situation, but I'd like him to love an RB situation too.
    Posted by BassFishing

I agree and without a real offensive co. we rely on Brady to practically coach himself. Any QB would instinctively want to rely on his arm. This is where coaching comes into play...we didn't have it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I don't know.  I can't get past him throwing the INT on 1st down against Balt or in the SB.  The first time was stunningly dumb enough, but to risk it again in the SB?   I just can't even believe it.  When did Favre, Romo and Cutler take over Tom Brady's body?

In each case, the utmost care of the ball is vital and we don't use an RB who has never fumbled, only to see a wounded duck lobbed up for grabs to subpar receiving options (Slater, a hobbled Gronk)???   What on god's green earth? Are they being paid to throw the game? 

This isn't an O'Brien problem. In all seriousness, those two plays are literally the worst decisions Brady has ever made in his career.

I would put the INT to David Harris in the divisional round last year as 3rd.

If any OC had known he was going to be that carelesss with the ball in those spots, I'd rather run it 3 straight times and take my chances to move the sticks that way, last resort punt it, v.s. do that.   It just completely gives the other team this huge shift in momentum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Who cares? BJGE can be replaced. He was a worse open-field runner than Maroney ... but he happened to fumble less. And had zero pass catching or blocking ability on the blitz. 

Get Tim Hightower ... same difference. Then develop the young guys or go for a real RB who doesn't generate 2nd&1's in the crunch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I love how you say "who cares", yet he is cheap for what he does, fits well, doesn't fumble, catches decently enough, blocks well, is mature, doesn't fumble, etc, and wasn't used well in the postseson to the point we lost the SB because of that.

Yeah, who cares! Who needs a run game!  Tommy Brady will save us!

lmao

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I would hate to see BJGE leave.  He flat-a$$ doesn't fumble and is a beast in goal to go situations.  He's not very fast and isn't at all flashy but is quite serviceable.  However, the team will survive and flourish without him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Well, tied to the idea of him leaving, if it takes a big name guy in here and turning to him over Welker, long term, I'm for it.

Dead serious.

We need to get back to a lead back psyche in order to protect Brady better and keep him upright as he gets older.  Playing a pass first, finesse style, will not accomplish that. 

Fred Jackson would have been an awesome option here, but he's locked down in Buffalo. I am trying to think of other teams who may be cutting someone in surprise fashion due to cap issues, etc, that is an upgrade over BJGE.

Other than trading for someone or trading up for Trent Richardson or hoping Montee Ball changes his mind, I don't see where high end impact occurs in that position.

Maybe NOs is ready to part ways with Pierre Thomas?  Will they ask him to restrcuture in their tough spot?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Annnnnnnd , Rusty is Back Folks!

Under the new monicker Bassfishing! (good one rusty, bout time you switched it up)

Now the mods will never detect you...atleast until they notice all the brady bashing and begging to run more..

I wont say you are welcome , but you are back.  Atleast I used both words in a sentence together.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Shizzlechest, I like that one....

For the record, I also want us to run the ball more and have voiced this already, like I have always said. The only difference is, I accept it, knowing I cant change it, and you continue to Cry about it, even going as far as bashing brady because you think its HIM that doesnt want to run, when in reality it is B.B. - your Idol.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Shizzlechest, I like that one.... For the record, I also want us to run the ball more and have voiced this already, like I have always said. The only difference is, I accept it, knowing I cant change it, and you continue to Cry about it, even going as far as bashing brady because you think its HIM that doesnt want to run, when in reality it is B.B. - your Idol.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Yes, and I disagree with BB and would say it to his face right now.  BB isn't my idol, he's the best coach in the history of the NFL, but no one is perfect.

I think they've gotten too caught up in the passing game and don't really realize how far they go, usually DURING games, where they sort of panic and think they can pass their way through the critical points.

It's up to Brady not have meltdowns and it is up to the OC to take the reins DURING the game. BB can't take the reins every game he feels O'Brien is not getting it, because it compromises the chain of the command and it becomes a micromanaging situation. Dangerous precedent to set. O'Brien failed to work well with Brady and see ya.  Thanks for your time.

I hope McDaniels can see these things have total empowerment and improve the situation during games.

SB 42 and SB 46 are prime examples. We've been down the road before.  And yes, Brady is partly to blame because BB gives him tons of leash.  Not debatable.  Brady adds plays to the playbook for crying out loud.

I don't think I can control anything, it's just my opinion. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Thats good. As long as you know that.

If they upgrade the RB spot like I think they are, it could be a good sign.

I know you love Benny, but as long as he is here, our running game will get little attention. I've always said it. You get a real feature back and things will change.

You have made the mistake of thinking Benny is a top tier back because he doesnt fumble when in reality, there are probably 20 -25 backs that are miles ahead of him. The fact that he is always taken out the game at some point in favor of Woody should tell you this.

I hope your hiatus in the music forum has given you the peace you needed. Now back to business. Lets keep it civil this year, what do you say Rusty?

Sections
Shortcuts