Bye, Bye Bennie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Bye, Bye Bennie

In Response to Re: Bye, Bye Bennie:
    [QUOTE]Prolate.. I'm in Toronto as well... Nice to see! I love me some fishing... I have a little boat that I tie down to the roof of my car and me and a buddy hit the honeyholes all around Ontario all summer long. Go about once a week.. Other then watching my Pat it's my absolute favourite thing to do. I work for our professional hockey team so I get the summers off..lol
    Posted by HOTBLITZ[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'll see you out there sometime . . . I fish Mountsberg reservoir a lot in the spring . . . if you're ever out there and see a guy fly fishing for pike or bass from a blue solo canoe, that's me . . .  

Didn't know we had a professional hockey team in Toronto . . . Wink  (And they looked so good early in the season . . . oh well, on the bright side, I guess at least you'll be on the lakes early again this summer . . . )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I've always wanted to fly fish for tarpon and pike. Do you troll or cast the weed beds with a streamer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I've always wanted to fly fish for tarpon and pike. Do you troll or cast the weed beds with a streamer?
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Never fished for Tarpon (though that would be awesome), so I'm not sure how you fish for them.  I think, though, that you kind of stalk them on the flats then when you sight one, you have to cast out ahead of him.  

Pike, on the other hand, I fly fish for all the time.  Basically, I use two techniques. In weedy shallow water, I'll use a top water fly (big--as big as you can cast) and cast right up on the bank, then drag my fly into the water and out toward my canoe.  I get vicious strikes on those top water flies . . . it's great fun.  (Works for largemouths too, though if you're targeting Pike, you need a wire or heavy monofilament leader.)  The other way I catch Pike is using big bunny-strip flies underwater.  I don't troll at all, just cast out and retrieve at varying speeds.  Those big bunny strips are a pain to cast once they're wet, but they work very well.

I've caught Muskies on the bunny strips too . . . now that's a fish that's fun on a flyrod . . .

You gotta try it sometime . . .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Some team is going to overpay for BJGE... 5, 6 million.  He's a nice back to have as the lead of your committee, but he's not worth what he's going to get.

And why do people think that if we let him go, all of a sudden the Pats are going into 2012 with only Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen?  They have 5 months to bring in replacements.  They'll probably bring 3-4 additional bodies to training camp.

If you want solid but unspectacular, BB THRIVES at picking those up - Benny was an UDFA, after all.  We'll get a replacement at 10-15% of the cost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mabjrb. Show mabjrb's posts

end of the world!!!  Benny was a RB nobody wanted....we took him....Why if we let a RB go do we think we can not find another?  What a joke.  He was not a first round Hall of Famer....he was a good RB.  Stop over-thinking this one....by the way, we did not win a super bowl with him.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The bigger question is why people think he is in the pats future plans. Since he has been here, he hasnt been offered a longterm deal, only a one year tender to give time for our rookies to get acclimated. They have tried to trade for P.Thomas 2 years ago and are trying to trade for J.Stewart now.

This tells me while they appreciated Benny, they dont plan on using him going forward. I would even bet it is directly correlated to our playcalling and lack of commitment to the run game as they dont like wasting downs with him getting one or 2 yards when they can have Brady throw for a quck 5 yards at any point in the game to Wes or Hernandez.

They are trying to upgrade because they have realized that Benny isnt cutting it or drawing the attention necessary to exploit teams with playaction which was non-existent in our offense last year. Once we upgrade the RB spot, watch how much more balanced the playcalling will be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]end of the world!!!  Benny was a RB nobody wanted....we took him....Why if we let a RB go do we think we can not find another?  What a joke.  He was not a first round Hall of Famer....he was a good RB.  Stop over-thinking this one....by the way, we did not win a super bowl with him.....
    Posted by mabjrb[/QUOTE]

With a 17-12 and 17-15 lead, he only had 10 carries total.  Maybe if Brady didn't lob a wounded duck in the air on 1st down in the 4th, we win a SB with BJGE?

Go look at the games when BJGE is used as a lead back. We really don't lose games in those cases.  Gee, I really want to risk LOSING a game because some genius in the Pats huddle thinks Woodhead as a lead back gives us a better chance to win, v.s. BJGE as a lead back.

In both SB 42 or SB 46, if the run game was committed to, we likely win each SB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Before the Welker drop, we handed the ball to Benny and got nothing. Would you rahter us give him the ball on 2nd and 3rd as well?

NEWSFLASH, Benny is not as good when the defense is expecting him to run. He was also not that healthy last year. Give it a rest man, we are on to free agency now. Cant change the past.

Just be happy that they are trying to upgrade and get over Benny Hill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I believe BJGE was subbed into the game on that obligatory hand off, which we know is where any RB wouldn't gain any yards with in that situation due to the predictability.

Next.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I feel you Bobbysu.

I would take Doug Martin in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Also a sleeper from Benny's old school Ole miss. Brandon Bolden.  A taller,stronger version than Benny at 5'11 221 and is more athletic and lead the team in catches with 32 last year. So he doenst have to be subbed(rusty) and is more durable with an NFL RB body and has more open field moves to get away at the next level.

If we can sure up a younf safety in the draft, I would wait on that and use mid picks for RB, OLB, OL, WR

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Led the team with catches at 32??????  Sh1t, I could start at WR on that team.  No, seriously. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Ole Miss is a run oriented team and yes 32 catches by a college RB is considered pretty good. It means he can do it and the fact he led the team meant they relied on him.  He has double the production of Ocho in a 16 game season.

He played in 10 games last year with 4 starts. I am not saying he is Reggie Bush but he is capable and a better pass catcher than Benny.

Finished 3rd all time in all purpose yards.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

RB is not a Huge need all they need is a pick up for depth. They can pick that up after the draft when teams release players in June that they don't need any longer due to the draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

dablade, u are right, but its a risky thing to wait that long,. Only guys getting cut after june 1st as far as RB's are gonna be your fred taylor types. Im all set with the 30 plus RB's that dont play in the postseason for us.  Its that attitude that has our running game where it is now.......and after thought.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]RB is not a Huge need all they need is a pick up for depth. They can pick that up after the draft when teams release players in June that they don't need any longer due to the draft.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

If we let Benny walk we have 2 unknowns and Danny Woodhead. How is RB not an important need?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bye, Bye Bennie : If we let Benny walk we have 2 unknowns and Danny Woodhead. How is RB not an important need?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
    BJGE is not worth what he's gonna get in FA.  He's solid, but slow and will never be a #1 back.  He'll never break a big run, just get 3 yards at a time.  See Ya! THanks for not fumbling Bennie!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots free-agent running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis is exploring all of his options

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

[QUOTE]I am not buying that. The reason is Sammy Morris retiring and Faulk off a blown out leg. That's why they targeted two RBs with different skill sets in the draft.  They won't enter the season with Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen.  It best not be happening. You don't throw out a guy you developed who has never fumbled, is raely dinged up, when used as a lead back you never lose, etc, and just throw caution to the wind with 2 1sts and 2 2nds in the draft. If they do walk away from him, they best have a really nice contingency plan.  
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be the first time Bill has gone into the season with insufficent depth or talent at a position. It's happened at WR, DE and even the entire secondary at different times.

Face it, Bill marches to the beat of his own drum. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go into the season with two unproven rookies and a marginally talented guy like Woodhead.

Not saying it's going to happen. But with Bill's track record, nobody should be surprised if it does.

Sections
Shortcuts