BYE-BYE WES!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

BYE-BYE WES!

With his public show of uncertainty as to whether he is 100% committed to the Patriots' cause, despite being guaranteed over $9,000,000.00 for one more year of work with the chance to further be made into a legend by TB12 (even after dropping one of the most critical passes of his life), I would like to be the first to say BYE-BYE to Mr. Welker.  Someone needs to remind this smurf that 31-yo, 5-10, 185lb receivers with suspect knees get slower and old really fast. I'd venture to say ONLY TB-12 and Peyton could give this guy another really productive 2, maybe 3 seasons. Fix what you said WES, or otherwise, its off to the "David Givens/David Patton Memorial, overrated, wide-out grave yard" for ya. Shoot, TB12 can make any decent athlete a houshold name. Wise up WES! You aren't an O-lineman who saves Tom's life every play! You are a small, moving target he can hit with precision accuracy. MAYBE I WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE! Regardless, you won't be missed. NEXT!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: BYE-BYE WES!

I have said all along way back as soon as the season ended that Wes is more likely to be franchised and traded then kept. I also said it was nearly a certainty if he was under the franchise tag by draft. I feel even more comfortable with my prediction and on top of that I know Brady really likes him but he will be fine with all the receiving tallent this team has and we may still add another before the opening game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wes has been playing above his contract since being a Patriot.  The Patriots are a better team with Wes, the Pats need to step up and pay the man and keep him a Patriot for the next 3 years.

I believe a contract gets done before the season starts.  It might be a little bumpy along the way but it will get done.  Wes won't be going anywhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Um... this is just to dumb to comment on.

Why the vitriol against a guy who's done nothing but:
    1) Be one of the best WRs in the league if not the best over the last 4 years for this team?
    2) Been a great teammate
    3) Performed well above his contract

He's not going anywhere barring a major meltdown, which I just don't see happening. But of course he wants a longer term contract than the one year franchise deal - what happens if he gets hurt again (another ACL/MCL injury). Then his next contract will be worth nothing. The guy deserves a 3-4 year deal at about 7-7.5mil per year, maybe 18-20 guaranteed. He's reasonably young (only 31 I think) - this contract would take him to 34/35 years old. Not too old for a WR in this league.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Oh, and BTW - RallyC, Welker is a damn tough bastich. He is way better than you make him out to be - pretty fearless about taking shots when TB passes him those middle of the field passes.

He's taken hits that would kill most of us, then just gets up and goes for more. Not many receivers out there will lay themselves out like that. Alligator arms Moss certainly didn't if that's your comparison.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seems like a knee jerk reaction from a fan to me.  Welker's in the process of negotiating a longer term contract.  Signing the tender ends the contract negotiation, which he appears to want to continue.  So if ther contract isn't done and the tender isn't signed but OTAs are starting, what does he do?  I think it's a big open question whether you should show up if nothing's signed yet.  I don't blame Welker for his uncertainty.  Seems logical in the circumstances.

This isn't high school . . . it's a job.  Most people don't show up for work if they're not getting paid.  Why should Welker be any different?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES!:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and BTW - RallyC, Welker is a damn tough bastich. He is way better than you make him out to be - pretty fearless about taking shots when TB passes him those middle of the field passes. He's taken hits that would kill most of us, then just gets up and goes for more. Not many receivers out there will lay themselves out like that. Alligator arms Moss certainly didn't if that's your comparison.
    Posted by timesedge[/QUOTE]

Timesedge, I hear you! I know the guy has been amazing as a Patriot in many, many ways. One of those is that he has sacrificed self for team. Bottom line is he's made MILLIONS to play a game, has been turned into a household name by a system orchestrated by TB/BB that is a Household name making factory, BUT NOW?, after not making a catch he's made dozens of times, in the biggest game of his life in front of the entire universe, he decides he's gonna break from his normal, humble practices and make a public statment about his situation? Sorry, but his most difficult to replace, valuable attributes have been his personality, leadership and team first attitude. 9.4-million and eternal stardom should be enough for you to sit tight, do your negotiating in the most professional manner, and again be rewarded for that. NOT THIS! Running his mouth has done him in, WATCH! I know O-lineman have done it recently, but they are TB12's bodyguards! This little dude may have guts, but he just proved to me and many others, he's not got nearly the smarts. WES was a model Patriot, now just another fool who will be shown the door. Plug and play....WHO'S NEXT IN THE STAR MAKING MACHINE?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Its seems best for all parties involved that WW comes back. Hopefully
    they will get the numbers done.  It would be a big bonus if it happened
    before the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

shameful post. We should keep Wes at all costs!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Have you ever listened to most guys who get franchised whine about it and say that they were disrespected by their team?  How could you possibly have a problem with Welker, who outplayed his contract but kept showing up and keeping his mouth shut when others would have held out?  He kept his mouth shut, played out his contract, and is now saying that he's happy with the franchise tag, instead of crying about it like many others, including Mankins and other current Patriots in the past.  

What exactly did he say that you are referring to.  99% of franchised players respond to a question about the tag by saying they are pissed about it.  Welker said he's happy.  You are so off base here its laughable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

suddenly for some, wes welker is just another receiver.  I'd imagine cooler heads will prevail within the pats org.  They may not give Wes what he wants, but they don't want him gone. 

Further like some other posters here, there is no way to blame welker for his position.  Pound for pound, he plays quite possibly the most dangerous position in the game.  Slot receivers are frequently sitting ducks for bigger safeties and much bigger LB's. 

He's got a chance for one last contract - he needs to go for it.  Would he pull a Mankins?  If he did, imo, it would affect the pats more than Mankins did.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to BYE-BYE WES!:
    [QUOTE]With his public show of uncertainty as to whether he is 100% committed to the Patriots' cause, despite being guaranteed over $9,000,000.00 for one more year of work with the chance to further be made into a legend by TB12 (even after dropping one of the most critical passes of his life), I would like to be the first to say BYE-BYE to Mr. Welker.  Someone needs to remind this smurf that 31-yo, 5-10, 185lb receivers with suspect knees get slower and old really fast. I'd venture to say ONLY TB-12 and Peyton could give this guy another really productive 2, maybe 3 seasons. Fix what you said WES, or otherwise, its off to the "David Givens/David Patton Memorial, overrated, wide-out grave yard" for ya. Shoot, TB12 can make any decent athlete a houshold name. Wise up WES! You aren't an O-lineman who saves Tom's life every play! You are a small, moving target he can hit with precision accuracy. MAYBE I WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE! Regardless, you won't be missed. NEXT!!!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

Somewhere Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, and Taylor Price are wondering why they haven't become household names.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I really hope he stays but if he doesn't want to oh well we move on. Wes is gonna do whats best for Wes and BB is going to do whats best for the Pats no matter what. They won 3 SB's before Welker ever got here. Are they a better team w/ him yes. Will they fall apart w/out him, no. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to BYE-BYE WES! : Somewhere Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, and Taylor Price are wondering why they haven't become household names.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I assure you the answer is more because of their abilities to learn the complexities of the offense, and not because they weren't equipped with better physical skills than Wes. Yes, smarts does matter, but I would bet that we can find a better athlete with as much cerebral ability in someone elses WR scrap heap. Saying anything other than "We'll see..." when asked about his future is suicidal under this regime. Most of our "standout" players are beneficieries of our organization, not the other way around. Real smart guys grasp that. He isn't as smart as many thought based on this unsuitable strategy. I'm disappointed but I think he's gone now unless he "clarifies" his deep desires to be a Patriot. We shall see......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : I assure you the answer is more because of their abilities to learn the complexities of the offense, and not because they weren't equipped with better physical skills than Wes. Yes, smarts does matter, but I would bet that we can find a better athlete with as much cerebral ability in someone elses WR scrap heap. Saying anything other than "We'll see..." when asked about his future is suicidal under this regime. Most of our "standout" players are beneficieries of our organization, not the other way around. Real smart guys grasp that. He isn't as smart as many thought based on this unsuitable strategy. I'm disappointed but I think he's gone now unless he "clarifies" his deep desires to be a Patriot. We shall see......
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

Look there is no doubt that receivers benefit from elite QB play, but let's not delude ourselves and pretend Wes would be a scrub if he was on another team.  Branch, Patten and Givens never put up the kind of numbers Wes has put up here before leaving.  Personally I think with Gronk and Hernandez owning the middle of the field that NE can get away with letting WW walk if his contract demands are too high, but Wes will have success wherever he ends up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to BYE-BYE WES!:
    [QUOTE]With his public show of uncertainty as to whether he is 100% committed to the Patriots' cause, despite being guaranteed over $9,000,000.00 for one more year of work with the chance to further be made into a legend by TB12 (even after dropping one of the most critical passes of his life), I would like to be the first to say BYE-BYE to Mr. Welker.  Someone needs to remind this smurf that 31-yo, 5-10, 185lb receivers with suspect knees get slower and old really fast. I'd venture to say ONLY TB-12 and Peyton could give this guy another really productive 2, maybe 3 seasons. Fix what you said WES, or otherwise, its off to the "David Givens/David Patton Memorial, overrated, wide-out grave yard" for ya. Shoot, TB12 can make any decent athlete a houshold name. Wise up WES! You aren't an O-lineman who saves Tom's life every play! You are a small, moving target he can hit with precision accuracy. MAYBE I WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE! Regardless, you won't be missed. NEXT!!!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

You are a nutjob!! It amazes me how many folks are ready to say goodbye to Wes! You dont just plug another WR in and expect the same results! If that was the case Ocho and Tiquan would have matched Randy Moss' numbers! And all the Julian Edelman lovers must have forgotten he drops every other ball thrown his way! Wes is going nowhere....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, and BTW - RallyC, Welker is a damn tough bastich. He is way better than you make him out to be - pretty fearless about taking shots when TB passes him those middle of the field passes. He's taken hits that would kill most of us, then just gets up and goes for more. Not many receivers out there will lay themselves out like that. Alligator arms Moss certainly didn't if that's your comparison.
    Posted by timesedge[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking about that the other day.  Could any of us actually take such a hit? Ouch!!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Did you actually say that we can find a better receiver than Welker in somebody's scrap heap?  Ya, there are tons of 1,500 yard receivers just sitting out by the trash hoping for somebody to pick them up.  You underappreciate Welkers skills like nobody I've ever seen.  It's really a shame.  Just because he's not 6'3 with blinding speed doesn't make him less unique and talented.  What he does requires a ton of athleticism, intelligence, and most of all, guts, because he puts himself in positions to get lit up by defenders all the time.  On top of that, he's one of the very few receivers who isn't a diva.  

And again...HOW exactly do you interpret his comments as anything less than "waiting and seeing" on the contract??

Wes' tweet when he got franchised: "Excited to be a Patriot in 2012. And hopefully 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, etc."

In contrast, most players' reaction to getting franchised (including Drew Brees most recently) is being quote "Livid", and sometimes requesting a trade.  

Welker has done nothing but express a desire to remain a Patriot.  You need to get off your high horse about this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Welker has been very well underpaid for the numbers he has put up, while other WR's have been paid very well and not even come close to half of Welkers numbers. I would do the same thing. Welker wants to get paid withing the next 2 years. I would give him $13-$15 million for the next 2 years the another 2 at $7 million with a $15 mill bonus done deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : Saying anything other than "We'll see..." when asked about his future is suicidal under this regime.
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]
    Ask Logan Mankins how that worked out for him.

I'm also unclear on what it was that WW said that you seem to have an issue with.  Quotes please, to show this supposed disrespect to the organization.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : Look there is no doubt that receivers benefit from elite QB play, but let's not delude ourselves and pretend Wes would be a scrub if he was on another team.  Branch, Patten and Givens never put up the kind of numbers Wes has put up here before leaving.  Personally I think with Gronk and Hernandez owning the middle of the field that NE can get away with letting WW walk if his contract demands are too high, but Wes will have success wherever he ends up.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

I vehemently disagree. At one time, that WAS a true statement. But now, at 31, after having reconstructive knee surgery and a huge, game changing, missed catch in the SB...he is on a decline if trying to adapt to a new offense and a lesser QB. However, if he makes it good and shows strong loyalty to the Pats, TB12 makes it worth his while. Otherwise, he will fade quickly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : Ask Logan Mankins how that worked out for him. I'm also unclear on what it was that WW said that you seem to have an issue with.  Quotes please, to show this supposed disrespect to the organization.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

Matt, Its not what he said so much as it is that he would say anything that could be construed as defiance. He was asked by a reporter if he was going to attend the Pat's upcoming OTA's. His response:

“I don’t know,’’ Welker said about organized team activities, according to NFL.com. “I’m not quite sure yet. We’ll have to wait and see how things go. But to tell you the truth, I really haven’t made up my mind yet.’’

Why not just a wry, "I guess we'll see." or better yet, "I really hope so." At first glance for other team's fans this comment is harmless. But it isn't so harmless if you really understand the effectiveness of and truly believe in the "Patriot Way." Obviously, I believe.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

After further review RalleyC ...
    You still really believe Wes Welker isn't capable of being a very productive player ?

Really ?

I'm not familiar with your postings , so you probably deserve a pass ,  I won't be pilling on here
    (no need , heck even Colts-lovin UD6 schooled you )

Hopefully , when the season starts and Welker continues to be the consummate Patriot , you will see the error of your ways.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]After further review RalleyC ... You still really believe Wes Welker isn't capable of being a very productive player ?  Really ?     I'm not familiar with your postings , so you probably deserve a pass ,  I won't be pilling on here (no need , heck even Colts-lovin UD6 schooled you )  Hopefully , when the season starts and Welker continues to be the consummate Patriot , you will see the error of your ways.
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

REALLY! What don't you understand about that? Wes, as with most other WRs without TB12 would be average, at best. At this point in his carreer, 31, reconstruct knee surg, and only getting slower and less explosive by the day. Age, my friend, is the enemy. If he doesn't stay with the PATS or find his way to say, DENVER, then he will fade into oblivion. IF you, or any other posters here don't see that, then its only because you've not been there done that, like say....ME! Now, go read SI and get your QB Couch ready for the season. Pile on if you care, but I speak from a position of experience, not just from the sofa with pizza in my face being CaptnFoxboro. G'day!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]After further review RalleyC ... You still really believe Wes Welker isn't capable of being a very productive player ?  Really ?     I'm not familiar with your postings , so you probably deserve a pass ,  I won't be pilling on here (no need , heck even Colts-lovin UD6 schooled you )  Hopefully , when the season starts and Welker continues to be the consummate Patriot , you will see the error of your ways.
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Oh, and one last thing, "CAPTN". I love the Patriots and have since 1962. I don't love any players, just the team and ORG. Even when they sucked, I was the same way. Even when I palyed, for a good long while mind you, I still was a fan of theirs. Man crushes are for, well, those who man crush. I love Boston, and any team that wears the name. So, you can love love a whiney little wide-out when he's outperforming his contract all you want. He's a millionaire many times over and needs to shut up, just like he has been til now and he will regain his due. Now then, go watch ESPN, I hear the fantasy draft is spooling up! REALLLLLYYYY!!!!