BYE-BYE WES!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

Re: BYE-BYE WES!

In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : REALLY! What don't you understand about that? Wes, as with most other WRs without TB12 would be average, at best. At this point in his carreer, 31, reconstruct knee surg, and only getting slower and less explosive by the day. Age, my friend, is the enemy. If he doesn't stay with the PATS or find his way to say, DENVER, then he will fade into oblivion. IF you, or any other posters here don't see that, then its only because you've not been there done that, like say....ME! Now, go read SI and get your QB Couch ready for the season. Pile on if you care, but I speak from a position of experience, not just from the sofa with pizza in my face being CaptnFoxboro. G'day!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

Oh so now your a former NFL player.  

Dude you're not just a fool.  YOU'RE A TOOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : REALLY! What don't you understand about that? Wes, as with most other WRs without TB12 would be average, at best. At this point in his carreer, 31, reconstruct knee surg, and only getting slower and less explosive by the day. Age, my friend, is the enemy. If he doesn't stay with the PATS or find his way to say, DENVER, then he will fade into oblivion. IF you, or any other posters here don't see that, then its only because you've not been there done that, like say....ME! Now, go read SI and get your QB Couch ready for the season. Pile on if you care, but I speak from a position of experience, not just from the sofa with pizza in my face being CaptnFoxboro. G'day!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

Oh so now your a former NFL player.  

Dude you're not just a fool.  YOU'RE A TOOL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

This might be the stupidest thread ever started on here in the history of mankind.

Wes Welker has been nothing but upstanding and professional the entire 5 years he has been with the Patriots.  He loves playing for this team based on his comments saying he had no problem getting the franchise tag.  No player ever says that.  They all b**ch and complain about being disrespected like Asante Samuel did in 2007 when the Patriots placed the franchise tag on him. 

Welker has led this team in receptions constantly over the past 5 years.  And if you want to claim it's all because of Tom Brady, then you're sucking Brady off too much here.  Brady is the best but Welker still has to get open and run the routes and he consistently does.  And that pass he dropped in the Super Bowl?  That wasn't a perfect pass from Brady.  Blame goes to both of them on that one.  Welker is NOT the freaking reason the Patriots lost the Super Bowl.

Bye bye Wes?  No.  Bye bye RallyC.  Give me a break!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : Oh so now your a former NFL player.   Dude you're not just a fool.  YOU'RE A TOOL!
    Posted by mar10[/QUOTE]

No, he was a former intern for the Detroit Drive of the Arena Football League in the 1990's

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

After costing the team the super bowl - Wes needs to tread lightly. 

If he loses the fans - by whining over 9 million dollars - he could facge a backlash that he is not prepared for.

I think he should focus on catching the back-shoulder pass and invest the 9 million very wisely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]After costing the team the super bowl - Wes needs to tread lightly.  If he loses the fans - by whining over 9 million dollars - he could facge a backlash that he is not prepared for. I think he should focus on catching the back-shoulder pass and invest the 9 million very wisely.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Not getting the response you were looking for? lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! :  So YOU played football ? Wow ... REALLY ? Clap ...clap ...clap . Guess what ? Many of the posters here did as well ( Including  pizza lovin' me ) As far as that lil nugget goes ...It kinda means squattss . Just because a person owns a football PLAYING resume doesn't mean they know more about the game than a fan who's never played. . It's likely he does ..but not granted . You think you know more about football than Greg Cosell ?  Or Mike Leach ? They never suited up ...must be dum dums . This board is about sharing OPINIONS . Your dissatisfaction with Welker is duly noted I choose to disagree . So does my ten year old son . We sat together in the cold in Foxboro last Jan. and watched Welker cross the goal line on the games opening series , setting the tone for the nights romp .  My son's never suited up (yet ) but I bet if I ask him if he thinks Welker would be "just another scrub" if he played for a different team  -  He'd know the correct answer . RalleyC ... You're a Pats fan .  God bless. If you think Welker's best days are behind him and don't want the Pats to damage their cap in future years  - I totally understand ( who knows , you could be right )  But hammerin Welker's ability as of RIGHT NOW and claiming he's just a greedy me-first guy is out of line... and my guess is with a week or two's worth of reflection , you'll most likely realize it . Capt out. PS My 2 cents on Welkers compensation . Considering the pricetag for top shelve Wrs keeps climbing upwards  - I think he's worth about 8 mil a year ....give or take. I'd consider giving him a deal thats looks something like this : 3 Years = 22.5 million 7.50 per year avg.  ( 12 mil bonus  - actually 10 mil bonus + 2 mil salary for year 1 ) Pats give him the extra 3rd year ( they've allegedly only offering a 2 year deal ) and Welker also gets an extra 3 mil up front ( instead of the current 9 mil franchise tag salary )  2nd year salary ( 7.5 ) is guaranteed if he's on the roster on the 1st day of the leagues new year in 2013 ( thats 19.5 total for two years ...about the total it would cost to franchise him again next year  ) 3rd year of deal is where the Pats get some payback as his salary would be very managable - He gets the remaining 3 mil if he's on the roster on the 1st day of the leagues new year in 2014 . ( Add in some escalator incentives that both parties would happy to see him attain  and he earns another 1.5 mil which would then make the total deal 3 years -24 mil  ...or 8 mil a year ) Nice way to reward a player that has always done things the Patriot way.and shows no sign that his skills  / work ethic will seriously diminish once he gets payed.
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Captn', OK. All of your points, for the most part, are legit, but still opinion based. Wes Welker had set himself apart from your average "Superstar" palyers by being the consummate PAT. He HAS SEEN HIS BEST DAYS! 31, recon knee surg, and the psychology of missing THE CATCH OF HIS LIFE. Great players have one thing in common....They are CLUTCH!  Wes Welker's psyche has been damaged, along with his body. Now, he takes a hit on his character and ability to remain disciplined through the negotiation process and as a result will be scrutinized by the Organization that much closer. This gives them pause to acknowledge that WEs' greatest value is likely to other teams and what they are willing to give for him. He opened the door for all of this. And now it will be his loss, most of all. I stick to my educated opinion, BYE-BYE WES! And yes, I played at high levels in 2-different countries and I will leave it at that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to BYE-BYE WES! : even as a Giants fan I gotta say you're an idiot
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOT

Dude, I don't expect you to understand. Call me an idiot. I know for sure that I am much more intelligent than you. Now, GO PHAWK YASELF!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to BYE-BYE WES!:
    [QUOTE]With his public show of uncertainty as to whether he is 100% committed to the Patriots' cause, despite being guaranteed over $9,000,000.00 for one more year of work with the chance to further be made into a legend by TB12 (even after dropping one of the most critical passes of his life), I would like to be the first to say BYE-BYE to Mr. Welker.  Someone needs to remind this smurf that 31-yo, 5-10, 185lb receivers with suspect knees get slower and old really fast. I'd venture to say ONLY TB-12 and Peyton could give this guy another really productive 2, maybe 3 seasons. Fix what you said WES, or otherwise, its off to the "David Givens/David Patton Memorial, overrated, wide-out grave yard" for ya. Shoot, TB12 can make any decent athlete a houshold name. Wise up WES! You aren't an O-lineman who saves Tom's life every play! You are a small, moving target he can hit with precision accuracy. MAYBE I WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE! Regardless, you won't be missed. NEXT!!!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

What a F'n joke! 
    I've heard some idiotic things in my life but this has to be near the top.
    Wes has been one of the most productive receivers in the league for the past 5 years.  What are these signs of slowing down?  When has he ever complained?
    Because he said I don't know what the future holds?  String him up by the nads.
    He was the most productive receiver in the SB, going 6/7.
    Yet, you fail to mention Branch's 50% or 85's lack of production and concentrate on the one catch he dropped.  Why?
    85 made more money than all the receivers combined last year but his production is not even mentioned.  I bet you're AOK with giving him another year. 
    People that display so much distain for a player and make mountains out of mole hills usually have an ulterior motive.
    What is yours?  Everything you're saying is BS.  Why?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to BYE-BYE WES! : What a F'n joke!  I've heard some idiotic things in my life but this has to be near the top. Wes has been one of the most productive receivers in the league for the past 5 years.  What are these signs of slowing down?  When has he ever complained? Because he said I don't know what the future holds?  String him up by the nads. He was the most productive receiver in the SB, going 6/7. Yet, you fail to mention Branch's 50% or 85's lack of production and concentrate on the one catch he dropped.  Why? 85 made more money than all the receivers combined last year but his production is not even mentioned.  I bet you're AOK with giving him another year.  People that display so much distain for a player and make mountains out of mole hills usually have an ulterior motive. What is yours?  Everything you're saying is BS.  Why?
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Pezz, All reasonable questions and I will try to give you my best answer. Mr. Kraft, BB, and TB12 have seen long term success with the Organization because the true foundation of it is character and discipline. One of, if not the best examples of this has been Wes Welker. So much so that he has become the teams poster boy. At this point in his carreer (31, reconst. knee surg, and a psyche damaging missed catch on the biggest play of his life), he is scientifically past his prime for a wide-out in the NFL. He had one real marquee play last year and is no longer a true breakaway guy. He has now given the mad scientist and the rest of the PATS braintrust an excuse to move on, as his stock with them is probably lower now than ever and still relatively high with other organizations. They don't love anyone but TB12 and Vince, and that is just for the time being. He has now slipped up and is playing out his negotiation in the press by commenting on it at all and by saying he "hadn't made up my mind yet." on OTA's. Well, Mankins protects Brady's body (the backbone to the team right now) on about 60% of the plays each game. He had more leverage because of that and look how things worked out for him. Wes is a declining Wes, and as such, I am disappointed to see him NOT BE THE WES he has been for us by poopoo-ing $9,400,000.00 and then opening his mouth by saying what he did. Shut up, and they will hear you! That's what I had hoped for. The others you mention do not matter in this situation as Wes WAS different, until now. This is about the elite status Wes has held for many different reasons with us. Now, part of that foundation that makes him special has been chipped away and a crack is forming. We all know what is next most of the time in such situations at the RAZOR. The average income in the US is about $40,000 per yr. $9,400,000.00 on the table, and his answer is 'I DON"T KNOW'. BYE-BYE WES! Be grateful, positive, and be who you've been and rewards will come. Change at this stage, and be doomed. Respectfully, BYE-BYE.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I talked with Wes's analyst and he wants to know how you got his notes on the status of Wes's psyche

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : I was actually thinking about that the other day.  Could any of us actually take such a hit? Ouch!!! 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the point, Getzo. Maybe some of us could take such a hit . . .   once.

Who remembers Danny Vermin?

"Don't ever kick me in the balls, Johnny! My mother kicked me in the balls once.

Once!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]I talked with Wes's analyst and he wants to know how you got his notes on the status of Wes's psyche
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, if you haven't been an elite athlete, you likely won't grasp the reality and accuracy of the statement. Just watch what happens.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : NO, STUPID! But since you asked: DAVID PATTEN has 3-Superbowl Rings, DAVID GIVENS has 2-Superbowl Rings! Wes Welker has 0, ZERO! I wouldn't dare compare those two champions to a wanna be!!! Make the play Wes and you get paid!!! Now then, is it OK to tell you to SHUT UP NOW!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Shumpeters-Ghost, where exactly did Welker "whine" about $9 million.  Here is Welker's quote about the franchise tag:

Welker didn’t express disappointment over the lack of progress.

“Not really. It’s a lot of money,” Welker said of the tender offer. “I’m definitely kind of excited about it.”

Contrast that to comments by Mankins, Wilfork, Samuel, Seymour, Law, and many others when they got tagged.  They all either said they were disrespected and angry, asked to be traded, or both.

Please provide one quote from Welker where he is "whining" about the franchise tag.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Why blame WW? You and I know its a game his agent is playing. If I have a representative that I entrust dealing with my millions I'm just going to say the right things and let him or her deal with it. The agent has a stake in this too. You know he's going to get the best deal he or she can.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK guys I never played one down of High School football nor did I play in a movie about football but I did stay in a Holiday Inn near a stadium so I hope this qualifies me to make a statement or two. WW may very well be traded because unlike some of BB's predecessors in the GM chair he realizes that his job requires him to know when to cut bait! This isn't a personality issue it's a business,WW wants a guarenteed contract with multiple years and he wants to be paid as a X receiver,he's not a WR he's a SLR or Y receiver and he's old as far as that position is concerned and as Rally stated he's not as quick as he once was nor as agile,but he has an enormous repoire with TB and like Reggie Wayne and Peyton they click so there is a value in being that close,but Rally might be right as far as his future with the team just based upon the drop (whether it was a great pass or not) as it hit both of his hands and TB doesn't like losing! All I can say is the Patriots have signed Lloyd and Gonzalez and Stallworth to come in and do what watch WW? The Handwriting on the wall tells me there is more to this than meets the eyes!!! I read an article a few weeks back that itimated that Welker would like to play catch with his buddy Matt Cassels if he ever left the friendly confines of the Razor and TB12...My guess is he may get his wish.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]OK guys I never played one down of High School football nor did I play in a movie about football but I did stay in a Holiday Inn near a stadium so I hope this qualifies me to make a statement or two. WW may very well be traded because unlike some of BB's predecessors in the GM chair he realizes that his job requires him to know when to cut bait! This isn't a personality issue it's a business,WW wants a guarenteed contract with multiple years and he wants to be paid as a X receiver,he's not a WR he's a SLR or Y receiver and he's old as far as that position is concerned and as Rally stated he's not as quick as he once was nor as agile,but he has an enormous repoire with TB and like Reggie Wayne and Peyton they click so there is a value in being that close,but Rally might be right as far as his future with the team just based upon the drop (whether it was a great pass or not) as it hit both of his hands and TB doesn't like losing! All I can say is the Patriots have signed Lloyd and Gonzalez and Stallworth to come in and do what watch WW? The Handwriting on the wall tells me there is more to this than meets the eyes!!! I read an article a few weeks back that itimated that Welker would like to play catch with his buddy Matt Cassels if he ever left the friendly confines of the Razor and TB12...My guess is he may get his wish.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Bozo, nice. That's exactly what I meant during my abrasive, and obviously offensive to many, post that started this string. If I sound a little jilted or jaded, I am. As I see you can appreciate, we build a strong, one-sided, emotional connection to these players. When they get close to the end, or are on their way out, many have a hard time reasoning the tough strategy that the PATS employ when making personnel decisions. I hate that this has happened with Wes, but the bottom line is that if we do keep Wes, we are keeping a talent on the other side of his best, and we are compromising the integrity of "the system". Based on the last decade+ of watching how The PATS respond to such situations, I feel certain they "cut bait" and continue to rebuild on the fly. I now realize that the PATS NEVER TRULY REBUILD! They merely conduct constant preventative maintenance. Thats why they stay so good year after year after year. Thank God! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Um... this is just to dumb to comment on. Why the vitriol against a guy who's done nothing but: 1) Be one of the best WRs in the league if not the best over the last 4 years for this team? 2) Been a great teammate 3) Performed well above his contract He's not going anywhere barring a major meltdown, which I just don't see happening. But of course he wants a longer term contract than the one year franchise deal - what happens if he gets hurt again (another ACL/MCL injury). Then his next contract will be worth nothing. The guy deserves a 3-4 year deal at about 7-7.5mil per year, maybe 18-20 guaranteed. He's reasonably young (only 31 I think) - this contract would take him to 34/35 years old. Not too old for a WR in this league.
    Posted by timesedge[/QUOTE]

Time, 

I fully agree. If your point of view is to trade Wes or there is another valid point of view that's perfectly fine but to call the guy a smurf and be so negative is just plain TROLLISH which the author of this post seems to be. No need to go into details about Welkers's career here in depth as we all know what he has meant to this team. 

The theory that at 31 Welker is suddenly on the edge of the abyss is just a silly. Many recievers play well into thier 30s, and with what he has meant to this team over the years they've had his services well underpaid, the FO needs to man up a pay him what's due. 

Secondly I'm sick of hearing about the one catch Welker didn't make. We can go in circles looking at the replay and argue forever about whether the catch should have been made. Bottom line is it's all after the fact and old history. It was only one play in an entire game and yes if the catch was made the Pats might have gone on to win, but to continually rehash this and lay blame on Welker for the loss after what he has meant to this team all of these years is just plain ridiculous. Without Welker as well as other the Pats would not have been in the SB.

Hetchinspete    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BYE-BYE WES! : Bozo, nice. That's exactly what I meant during my abrasive, and obviously offensive to many, post that started this string. If I sound a little jilted or jaded, I am. As I see you can appreciate, we build a strong, one-sided, emotional connection to these players. When they get close to the end, or are on their way out, many have a hard time reasoning the tough strategy that the PATS employ when making personnel decisions. I hate that this has happened with Wes, but the bottom line is that if we do keep Wes, we are keeping a talent on the other side of his best, and we are compromising the integrity of "the system". Based on the last decade+ of watching how The PATS respond to such situations, I feel certain they "cut bait" and continue to rebuild on the fly. I now realize that the PATS NEVER TRULY REBUILD! They merely conduct constant preventative maintenance. Thats why they stay so good year after year after year. Thank God! 
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

I would like to know how you come to the conclusion that Welker is on the other side of his best after a 122 catch season leading the league in receptions. Your entitled to your opinions, but I'd take a truck full of Wes Welkers at any reciever position if available at 31. For all you know WW could have another 3-5 very productive years ahead and if  the Pats let him go he could make you and the FO look rather silly. 

Hetchinspete. 

25. This post has been removed.