Bye Bye Woody

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Re: Bye Bye Woody

Danny will be back. He's too good and smart as a player to let him go. Makes key plays to keep drives alive, does not make mistakes, and does not fumble.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i've been the lone voice all season saying he will not be brought back after the season. does anyone else see the light now? or is there reasoning to bring him back with vereen, demps, ridley, and bolden under contract?

[/QUOTE]

I always thought BB was just waiting for Vareen to get up to speed to part ways with Woody.(I only assumed this because they havent signed him longterm for cheap $$ and they could have) so I was in that boat as well and even though Vareen looks ready for prime time, I think Woody is still valuble because Vareen may not be able to stay healthy. If woody doesnt demand any real money I dont see why all 4 cant stay but they also could have signed him before his stock went up so who knows. I want all 4  to stay because they each present diff. skill sets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Woody is a big reason why we only have 3 receivers on the roster, he has to be one of the toughest matchups on our roster. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

Here is the reality that we all should know by now when it comes to BB and negotiating:  he sets a price for a position and sticks by it.  Now, he will also take into consideration how the player fits into the scheme---this is the place where Woody will get a few extra bucks.  BB will NOT get into a bidding war w/another team over Woody--plain and simple.  So, if Rex wants to be a dirt bag (which we know he is) he will throw $$$ at Woodhead ---just to get him away from Foxboro.  BB showed w/BGE---there is a limit to what I will pay for you regardless of how much I like you.  Faulk and Bruschi---always knew that they could extend their careers here because of their willingness to play ball.  It will be interesting to see if Woody AND Welker play the game this year.  I am NOT saying they are on the same level (woody and welker)---but I do see similarities when comparing them to Faulk (Woody) and Bruschi (Welker).  Faulk was a back that found his niche and did what it took to help the team thereby staying on the team for as long as he did.  Bruschi--very talented and helped us win 3---but was he even the best Linebacker on the team athletically?  I would say no---but he had the intangibles that made him GREAT.  The same goes for Welker---he just needs to be reasonable on his price--like Tedy was--and he will be here forever.  Wes also needs to remember----he will always be revered here and taken care of (can you not see him on ESPN or TV somewhere w/his wit?).  New England fans are extremely loyal to the ones they feel return the gesture--leaving for more $$$$ somewhere else is a death knell--just ask the ones who have done it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rbetourne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is the reality that we all should know by now when it comes to BB and negotiating:  he sets a price for a position and sticks by it.  Now, he will also take into consideration how the player fits into the scheme---this is the place where Woody will get a few extra bucks.  BB will NOT get into a bidding war w/another team over Woody--plain and simple.  So, if Rex wants to be a dirt bag (which we know he is) he will throw $$$ at Woodhead ---just to get him away from Foxboro.  BB showed w/BGE---there is a limit to what I will pay for you regardless of how much I like you.  Faulk and Bruschi---always knew that they could extend their careers here because of their willingness to play ball.  It will be interesting to see if Woody AND Welker play the game this year.  I am NOT saying they are on the same level (woody and welker)---but I do see similarities when comparing them to Faulk (Woody) and Bruschi (Welker).  Faulk was a back that found his niche and did what it took to help the team thereby staying on the team for as long as he did.  Bruschi--very talented and helped us win 3---but was he even the best Linebacker on the team athletically?  I would say no---but he had the intangibles that made him GREAT.  The same goes for Welker---he just needs to be reasonable on his price--like Tedy was--and he will be here forever.  Wes also needs to remember----he will always be revered here and taken care of (can you not see him on ESPN or TV somewhere w/his wit?).  New England fans are extremely loyal to the ones they feel return the gesture--leaving for more $$$$ somewhere else is a death knell--just ask the ones who have done it. 

[/QUOTE]

Guys like Bru dont come along often. One of the few guys who negotiated his own contracts with no agent and always gave us a hometown discount. Cant expect it from everyrone and u never know how a player feels inside. Agents will make you greedy if you werent before so we shall see but I def. agree with your point.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

i've been the lone voice all season saying he will not be brought back after the season. does anyone else see the light now? or is there reasoning to bring him back with vereen, demps, ridley, and bolden under contract?

[/QUOTE]

It's already been said here but yes absolutely he will be back. AS LONG AS the money is right.

There is a reason Woody getting hurt did not affect the part of the initial game plan the Pats had for the game that included him. They had Shane Vereen. Before you say exactly, even if the roles are reveresed on the depth chart you need someone to fill that role if Vereen goes down. BB likes depth.

Do we know Demps can do the job? Is reliable? Can he pass block effectively? Can he actually get or pick up the system? We have no proof of any of that at this moment.

We also have to see if Vereen even leap frogs Woody first.

The one thing that is certain is that Woody won't have the superior negotiating position in new contract talks.

[/QUOTE]

" Before you say exactly, even if the roles are reveresed on the depth chart you need someone to fill that role if Vereen goes down. BB likes depth."

eaclty as i said. bb likes built in redundancy. it's also very smart. see gronk. a year before the gronk injury i suggested we needed that kind of redundancy at te since our offense was based on having 2 elite tes. bb addressed it in offseaosn, but it cost us in last years sb (gronks injury)

by next year we should be covered with ballard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just wondering, since Bolden was suspended for PED's has BB used him for anything but mop up duty? Since Bolden has been back has Woody's numbers gone up or down?

If one RB is getting kicked off the team I highly doubt it's the most productive 3rd down back we've had since Faulk, esp with Brady's complete trust in him. We aren't talking about a huge contract either we are talking $1-2mil a year range which is what they pay some of the sub's. Well worth the price imo for someone who just produces compared to putting complete faith into a guy who's never taken a reg season snap, Demps (though I love his potential), someone who hasn't shown anything special since getting busted for PEDs, Bolden, and someone who has had 1 good game as a pro so far, Vereen (though he has great potential too). What's the old saying, you pay for production not potential.

[/QUOTE]

bolden cant show his sledgehammer ability if he doesnt play. same as vereen last year.

i say keep them all cut a special team player

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jedinate's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Woody is a gamer, BB loves gamers. If he doesn't go crazy with contract demands he'll be back.

[/QUOTE]

spot on i think. 

also like i said, does he love being a patriot more than some team offering more work/money elsewhere

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB will never get rid of Woodhead. You take Blueprints of what a Pats Player should be and he falls right into it. Vereen had a nice game no question, Woodhead always has a nice game. If any current Player has the Troy Brown attitude, its Woodhead. Total Team Player, does whatever it takes to win, NEVER can have enough of these guys.
    Lets put it this way, in a critical situation, with game on the line I'm taking Woodhead.

[/QUOTE]

"BB will never get rid of Woodhead. You take Blueprints of what a Pats Player should be and he falls right into it. "

exactly as i said

"game on the line I'm taking Woodhead."

agreed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Woody is a big reason why we only have 3 receivers on the roster, he has to be one of the toughest matchups on our roster. 

[/QUOTE]

"one of the toughest matchups on our roster. "

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rbetourne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"leaving for more $$$$ somewhere else is a death knell--just ask the ones who have done it. "

point

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I saw this post earlier today when I was at work and it bothered me so much I felt like I had to say something in response once I had the chance at home.  The only way that BB is going to let Woody walk is if it all comes down to money.  This kid is exactly the kind of player that BB is always on the look out for.  He demonstrates drive and determination, not to mention multiple skills at his position.  He's got great hustle and seems to have a true love of the game.  I woud be very surprised if BB doesn't do his best (within limits) to do what has to be done to keep Woody here.  That argument would also apply to Edleman.  Thanks for listening.  I feel much better now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not sure why we're concerned about Woodheads roster spot less than a week before the AFC Championship game...my guess is that his roster spot is secure for the remainder of this year. Moving forward it's all about cost/value...If he's willing to sign a team friendly deal that helps them stay within the budgeted guidelines for his position. he'll be back...

One thing for certain he'll have quite a few teams interested in his services...Rex Ryan I would think to this day regrets letting him get away...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

I saw this post earlier today when I was at work and it bothered me so much I felt like I had to say something in response once I had the chance at home.  The only way that BB is going to let Woody walk is if it all comes down to money.  This kid is exactly the kind of player that BB is always on the look out for.  He demonstrates drive and determination, not to mention multiple skills at his position.  He's got great hustle and seems to have a true love of the game.  I woud be very surprised if BB doesn't do his best (within limits) to do what has to be done to keep Woody here.  That argument would also apply to Edleman.  Thanks for listening.  I feel much better now.

i'm curious to know what bothered you so much? the thought of woody leaving or my opinion that woody will bolt for bigger $? woody/edelman apples and oranges. after this season is over lloyd will be the only WR under contract while 4 RB's will be under contract making edelman a bit more of a priority. not only that but edelman has missed most of the season while woody's role has increased. it comes down to 3 things, all involving $ as the NFL is a business.

1. how much will other teams offer

2. how much is NE willing to offer

3. is woody willing to take less in order to stay in NE

cc, i said the same things. did you read the whole thread?

it's partly money, partly does he want a bigger role that another team woudl give him, vs his love for teh pats and less $. maybe a lot less.

on bb's side you know he wants him. you, i and many othres have outlined why.

17. This post has been removed.