Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy?:
    numbers - I am not trashing brady.  He was the perfect game manager during that run, and I think he broke out in his last SB win.  He's no longer a game manager, like Manning always has, Brady is now expected to win for the team.  We've seen what that has wrought the last 2 years.  one and done.  I am the first to say teams need more than just a great QB.  Joe Montana is given high praise, but I think he had some pretty great weapons, and if I recall his D was fairly stout. 
    Posted by UD6

Of course what you fail to mention even though you know it is even though Brady took the 7th(2001), 1st(2003), and 2nd(2004) ranked defense to the SB and won... Manning took the 7th (2008), 1st (2007), and 2nd (2005) defenses to one and done. So if Brady is a game manager than Manning is less than that. Even Dilfer and Sanchez got further than one playoff game with the top ranked defense. The greatest of all time has a fist full of rings, not excuses.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It's true. He tries to misdirect in order to gain leverage somehow. This  a classic troll tactic that is easily detected. That's why he desperatley mentioned Manning being on Montana's level.  He can't say that about Dungheap as far as being a coach on Halas, Brown, Lombardi, Walsh or BB's level, so all he has is Manning's forehead to swing from. Normally, if my team was going 0-6 and looking so poorly managed by a GM, I would be embarrassed, but not Panties.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Right you are, Rusty! Now...lets' get back to Caldwell.

Yesterday, our hero played the "Dungy Card". Yes! He he sought out "The Pius One", Tony Dungy, and asked him to give his beleaguered Colts a pep-talk:

Coach Jim Caldwell decided to put his former boss/colleague to work. He tapped into Dungy's motivational skills, having him speak to the team after Wednesday's morning walk-through.

"He's always got a pretty unique story to tell about different situations that have occurred throughout his coaching career," Caldwell said.

Dungy's message focused on the need for persistence as the Colts deal with the 0-6 record they'll take to New Orleans this weekend. He spoke of two sons given the task of removing a large rock that rested in an area where a swing set would be constructed. One son had a sledgehammer, the other a pick ax. The first son grew weary of hammering away and quit. The second son kept at it and, eventually, the rock cracked.

The players listened and understood.

"It's a story I feel all the guys took to heart"...defensive end Robert Mathis said:
    http://www.indystar.com/article/20111021/SPORTS03/110210328/Dungy-provides-motivational-tale

Amen!!

Is there anyone who still questions Caldwell's ability to lead, now?? LOL!!!

We'll see whether this parable by "The Pius One" resonates, Sunday night, in New Orleans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Shen - its a good point but not completely accurate. 

I've been beaten over the head on this board that the regular season doesn't matter, its the postseason.  So when you look at the defensive rankings you are considering regular season stats. 

The postseason is where the stats matter.  I recently did some analysis and put it on this board somewhere.  I think it showed that in postseason wins the pats gave up on average something like 16 points.  The colts over 19.  In losses the pats gave up like 25 while the colts gave up like 29.  I am pulling this info off the top of my head so I admit I may not be entirely accurate. 

The point is that the pats d stood up in the postseason - twice the D delivered wins when Brady threw 3 ints in postseason games. 

Brady's not a game manager anymore.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : gln - the truth isn't being a broken record.  The broken record thing from Scratched LP is he uses nearly the same exact comment when he's backed himself in a corner that he can claw his way out of.  Yes the late int by manning cost the colts.  Although its been speculated that Wayne ran a poor route, its never been confirmed so that pick is on Manning.  
    Posted by UD6

So, If talk about the awful officiating in the AFCCG ALL THE TIME, I would think that you would call me out on it.  It was fact that the Colts got some PA calls that were not there, 1 paticular in the endzone, ball over thrown by 5 yards out of the endzone and ZERO contact (NFL admitted to it) and not getting calls, Caldwell in the endzone and the offensive PA by Troy Brown right before 1/2 time. Those ARE FACTS, but no one talks about those, yet you keep talking about the same crap all the time (FACT).
    Funny thing, someone gives you facts (repeating or not), you dismiss them. You give opinion (about your teams defense/kicker/how "great" your QB is) and try to twist them into facts, you get called out on them, and then you dismiss them all the time (what a shocker!).
    You have made some valid points on how good the Pats defense was in the early 2000's, but you will never admit to valid points about your teams defense during the same time.  That is why you are a hyproctite and I will keep calling you out on that until you will finally admit to it/them (valid points).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : So, If talk about the awful officiating in the AFCCG ALL THE TIME, I would think that you would call me out on it.  It was fact that the Colts got some PA calls that were not there, 1 paticular in the endzone, ball over thrown by 5 yards out of the endzone and ZERO contact (NFL admitted to it) and not getting calls, Caldwell in the endzone and the offensive PA by Troy Brown right before 1/2 time. Those ARE FACTS, but no one talks about those, yet you keep talking about the same crap all the time (FACT). Funny thing, someone gives you facts (repeating or not), you dismiss them. You give opinion (about your teams defense/kicker/how "great" your QB is) and try to twist them into facts, you get called out on them, and then you dismiss them all the time (what a shocker!). You have made some valid points on how good the Pats defense was in the early 2000's, but you will never admit to valid points about your teams defense during the same time.  That is why you are a hyproctite and I will keep calling you out on that until you will finally admit to it/them (valid points).
    Posted by gln826

UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(gggg), has proven repeatedly to be a liar (he'll say anything to make his screw-ball points), a hypocrite, and a coward (in that he refuses to answer direct questions...or to take a firm position on anything).

This is why he has no credibility here...and why no one should take him seriously.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Want more proof that Caldwell is a mere figurehead? First, he calls in ex-coach Tony Dungy to try to his players...who by now know what a zero Caldwell is. But now comes the word that the "Great and Wonderful One", Peyton Manning himself, will be on the sidelines, supposedly giving input to Curtis Painter as to how to attack the Saints' "D". Err...isn't that supposed to be dealt with during the practice time leading up to the game?

With the coaches barking at Painter to do one thing, and Manning barking at him to do another, how do y'all think that's going to work out?? Who do you think that the players would pay more attention to...Caldwell and his staff, or Manning?? http://www.indystar.com/article/20111023/SPORTS03/110230364/More-input-Painter

LOL!!!!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

Colts are done for so many years to come. Mudd, Moore both are gone, running game and offensive line mess, defense a giant mess. Even if manning comes back they are 10 win team. They won't be able to beat good teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? :      UD6, a/k/a "The Dog(gggg), has proven repeatedly to be a liar (he'll say anything to make his screw-ball points), a hypocrite, and a coward (in that he refuses to answer direct questions...or to take a firm position on anything).      This is why he has no credibility here...and why no one should take him seriously.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Hey Tex, no one can take those mantles from you my friend.  Its continuous posts like these as well as others that have you proving my points for me. 

While I have obviously grown tired of the same refrain from you over and over and over again, it does provide ongoing upport for my positions. 

keep it up. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : So, If talk about the awful officiating in the AFCCG ALL THE TIME, I would think that you would call me out on it.  It was fact that the Colts got some PA calls that were not there, 1 paticular in the endzone, ball over thrown by 5 yards out of the endzone and ZERO contact (NFL admitted to it) and not getting calls, Caldwell in the endzone and the offensive PA by Troy Brown right before 1/2 time. Those ARE FACTS, but no one talks about those, yet you keep talking about the same crap all the time (FACT). Funny thing, someone gives you facts (repeating or not), you dismiss them. You give opinion (about your teams defense/kicker/how "great" your QB is) and try to twist them into facts, you get called out on them, and then you dismiss them all the time (what a shocker!). You have made some valid points on how good the Pats defense was in the early 2000's, but you will never admit to valid points about your teams defense during the same time.  That is why you are a hyproctite and I will keep calling you out on that until you will finally admit to it/them (valid points).
    Posted by gln826

gln, I agree that the officiating was awful and that PI call never should have been made. Of course Pats fans aren't willing to admit that Gaffney TD at the back of the endzone was the same. Ultimately, they gave the pats more than they gave the colts because the Gaffney call was points on the board. The PI mistake still gave the pats a chance to keep the colts out of the endzone. 

You remember the Gaffney TD, right? He caught the ball and landed with his INSIDE FOOT just inside the goal line. He would have had to cross his outside foot over his inside foot in order to be in bounds all while off balance. Never would have happened but he was hit and the refs gave the pats a make up call. 

Everyone knows it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I hate to say "I told you so"...but...after last nights' 62-7 debacle in New Orleans, is there anyone left who now doubts that Jim Caldwell is nothing but a figurehead of a head coach?

Perhaps the most respected Colt of them all, Jeff Saturday, threw Caldwell under the bus by proclaiming that his team was "out-coached": http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/10/24/2510141/jeff-saturday-calls-out-coach-caldwell-while-jim-irsay-apologies-to#storyjump

It's obvious that the disaster that is the 2011 Indianapolis Colts is not due merely to the loss of Peyton Manning. It's poor Polian drafting, lack of leadership, and poor coaching that have brought this once proud franchise to it's knees.

The winds of massive change may be blowing in Indy: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/24/winds-of-change-could-be-blowing-in-ind/ 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TP - you could be right that Caldwell is a figurehead, but as you suggest that this disaster is about more than the loss of Manning, I remind you that less than 2 yrs ago, the colts went 14-0 and to a superbowl with much of the same team. 

With so little different, a strong argument exists that Manning is the difference.  Don't believe me?  Ask Tedy Bruschi.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : What about the phantom PI call on Troy Brown that no one saw or Caldwell mauled in the corner of the end zone by Hayden? You can't put two hands on a WR and then block him from returning to the ball. Hayden initiated contact there, not Caldwell. That's textbook PI. Offset the Gaffney and Ellis Hobbs calls and you still got calls when you needed them.  Bagjob.

Come on Russ, you can't come up with nearly enough calls to justify an 18 point comeback and 35 points in less than 31 minutes.  Walk away.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL, someone figured it out:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/24/indianapolis-star-thinks-caldwell-is-a-goner/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Considering Troy Brown's PI phantom call before half was at worst a FG (3 points) and Caldell's non-intereference call with a 7 point inevtiablility with a spot at the 1 for 1st and goal, that's 10 points. So, yes, I can. That was easy. Walk away, Panties.

LMAO - This is exactly the mentality about which I am talking.  Some pats fans are blind to any mistakes the team makes or problems they create.  I just watched the replay. 

Brown clearly chipped the linebacker off the line to create space for Watson who caught the pass.  Great play design and execution as long as it isn't called.  It was.  Typical pats play - take calculated risks and make the refs make the call.  In this case, unlike the 03 afccg, they did.   

Funny thing is Garcon was just called for PI last night for similar chipping.   

As for the Caldell non-call, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

Regardless, you lose..................................................................again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : gln, I agree that the officiating was awful and that PI call never should have been made. Of course Pats fans aren't willing to admit that Gaffney TD at the back of the endzone was the same. Ultimately, they gave the pats more than they gave the colts because the Gaffney call was points on the board. The PI mistake still gave the pats a chance to keep the colts out of the endzone.  You remember the Gaffney TD, right? He caught the ball and landed with his INSIDE FOOT just inside the goal line. He would have had to cross his outside foot over his inside foot in order to be in bounds all while off balance. Never would have happened but he was hit and the refs gave the pats a make up call.  Everyone knows it.
    Posted by UD6

If was a tough call either way. Doesnt matter the Troy Brown call before 1/2 (offensive PI) cost the Pats points AND time off the clock. The Colts would never had the time to go down field to score any points never mind 7.  REMEMBER that play?  POINTS and TIME, what about the PI on Caldwell?  Wasnt Caldwell hit when the ball was about 10 feet away from him?  REMEMBER that? see I can do that too. But the score should have been at least 24-3 at 1/2 time (possibly 28-3)!  Even your "god" couldnt have made a game out of that.

Didnt see posts from king, but blind boy sees only what he wants to see.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : NO idea?  LMAO WHo lost? This is textbook PI. Hayden turns, but he then faces Caldwell and pulls his arms down initiating contact, with his back to Brady, impeding Caldwell to come back on the ball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23oEg5ljBkY 4 point differential. Please post the Troy Brown pick play that was called as PI.  During the broadcast, it wasn't even shown which is a good sign that the refs bagged the play. As usual. Steve Smith picked Meriweather in the SB on the fiinal drive, too, but no call. They NEVER call that. That's the point. Right when the COlts HAVE to have a call, they get one. Case closed.

I wonder why "The Dog(gggg)" is mute about the 2011 Colts, and the 62-7 horse-whipping just endured, at the hands of the Saints?

LOL!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Caldwell Merely a Figurehead in Indy? : If was a tough call either way. Doesnt matter the Troy Brown call before 1/2 (offensive PI) cost the Pats points AND time off the clock. The Colts would never had the time to go down field to score any points never mind 7.  REMEMBER that play?  POINTS and TIME, what about the PI on Caldwell?  Wasnt Caldwell hit when the ball was about 10 feet away from him?  REMEMBER that? see I can do that too. But the score should have been at least 24-3 at 1/2 time (possibly 28-3)!  Even your "god" couldnt have made a game out of that. Didnt see posts from king, but blind boy sees only what he wants to see.
    Posted by gln826

The Troy Brown Call was absolutely correct, he chipped the linebacker covering Watson off of his coverage.  You can't do that.  I watched the play last night and it was absolutely offensive pass interference. 

I frankly can't believe that both you and Rusty are attempting to use this correct call as an example of bad officiating.  And the colts didn't score 7 pts before the half.  They got a fg.  Are you even recalling the correct game?

And finally - I agreed the officiating was bad, but it wasn't 18 points given up to lose the game bad.  Remember Brady throwing a pick when it mattered?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Colts have in their wisdom decided to place QB Kerry Collins on IR, allegedly due to a concussion. But, we all realize the real reason why he was placed on the IR was due to ineffectiveness. What a fine waste of $4mil. by the "brilliant" Bill Polian. Collins ended up coming out of retirement to play in 3 games, earning $1.3mil. per game. A great gig, if you can get it:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/25/colts-send-kerry-collins-to-injured-reserve/

Yet...Peyton Manning remains on the roster. Does anybody wonder whether Jim Caldwell had any say in these decisions?

LOL!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Tom Brady simply needed to direct his team to a touchdown in the closing moments of the game.  Is that desperation?  I'd call it failure. 

I accept that you refuse to admit that Troy Brown caused the PI that helped stop the pats drive that ended up giving 3 points to the colts before the half, but your lack of admission doesn't make you right.  Troy Brown committed textbook OPI.  Further, after failing on the drive, the pats punted the colts back to their 12 yd line.  Credit your d for keeping the colts out of the endzone and only giving up a FG. 

Pick plays that aren't called are those that occur either without contact or with incidental contact.  Brown's move was essentially to go down and block the linebacker off of his coverage then bounce off of a route.  It was an upfield block on a pass play.  It was easily seen and perfectly called. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts