Calling all Maroney backers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Calling all Maroney backers

In Response to Re: Calling all Maroney backers:
    [QUOTE]All backs stutter step if there's no hole...they usually can't just make one themselves. Maroney had a great cut in a tiny crease last night and you could see the other backs dancing too. Taylor has breakout ability. Morris got cracked up "sticking his head in there." How about some fault going to the offensive line?  Not directly related, but our CB's are getting beat up trying to make tackles the big guys should be making. The front 7 have been getting killed.  I'm no pro coach, but the match-ups have to be there as the plays are usually planned, like RB vs. chasing LB or downfield CB. If we can't block, we can't run.
    Posted by noncallcity[/QUOTE]

All backs stutter step, the question is how often.  Maroney seems to do it more often than most.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But if he keeps it up, cut him.  There's no sense having a coward on the team.  No matter how talented he is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Law firm looked pretty good last year when he got reps in the regular season he really gets to the hole in a hurry and has big play quicks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Maroney backers : The fool with the one word  response and no opinion to back it up has the nerve to call us idiots. Classic. I love when people project their opinions of themselves unto others.
    Posted by mojobag101[/QUOTE]

Well lets see:

1 4.4 career yrds/carry
    2 13 tds in 17 games as a SPLIT TIME RUNNER Barring his 08 injury season
    3 Fastest running back on the team
    4 Homerun threat anytime he gets in open space and only one on team
    5 Very good hands for a rb as shown by his 3 catches for 30 yards
    6 At 24 years old he has youth and gaining experience
    7 Has improved in blocking and blitz pick up

The only knock against him is that he was injured( Happens a lot in the most violent sport in the world) anybody see him take a crushing shot from the linebacker? he took it pretty well.

Oh yeah "he dances to much" Guess what we didnt draft him for his Corey Dillion characteristics. He is never gonna run a linebacker over but he will juke him and take it to the house.

Looking back on it I guess "Idiots" was a poor choice of words but then again everything I just stated above is pretty much common knowledge to real Pats fans and a 1 word response pretty much should have summed it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Calling all Maroney backers : green ellis is such a stud against back-ups,and third stringers.to really get a good look at him he needs to play against the starters.maroney didnt do bad last night compared to others.
    Posted by Vladtheimpaler1[/QUOTE] You're correct Maroney increased his production almost a whole percentage point last bevening from 1.33 ypc to 2.28 ypc. Fred Taylors ypc was 2.85. Your point that BJGE played aganist back-ups and third stringers is also correct. I asume from then, that his blockeere first team starters. BJGE is simply a better RB than Maroney. Maroney is better at receiving and yac but he's no K. Faulk. Personly I feel BB carries 5 RB's into the season due to the fragilness of Maroney, Morris, Taylor and yes Faulk. What say you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Maroney was responsible for 3 first downs last night, and he ripped off a 35 yard kickoff return. 

Maybe Maroney wouldn't have done so well without Tom Brady feeding him passes.  Maybe Maroney wouldn't have done so poorly had the Skins not concentrated on stopping the run.  Elsewhere on the field the Redskins sold out their midget cornerback giving Moss single coverage in the endzone.  Like that worked out.

Maroney is a bit of a Kevin Faulk, in that he can get open sometimes and can catch passes.  He's not a feature back, but he has some value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

'TrueChamp, your numbers on Moron ney are pretty impressive if you dont take away the 3 or 4 games he had 2 yrs ago when he had holes that Vince Wilfork could have gained 25 yrs on. When I look at NFL running backs,I dont need the OCCASIONAL big gain followed by the majority of carries which look like he/she just broke one of her high heels.Now Im not comparing him in any way to the great Barry Sanders,but even Barry was consistantly taken out of the game whenever the Lions got near the goal line and lets face it,Larry is no Barry!Thank god the NFL has gone to running back by commitee because if this were a decade ago,Moron ney would be signing up for the new spring football league!Always remember, u are judged by your EXPECTATIONS and even u would have to agree that he hasn't come close to fulfilling any of them.I was thrilled when he was drafted but then again, the Bengals were thrilled when they drafted Archie Griffin. BTW, Archie averaged 4.1 yrs a carry was considered a complete bust after a 7year career.2 Heismans will do that to u.EXPECTATIONS are a Mutha......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

P.S.   he was drafted not only for his ability to hit the "Homerun" but also because, in college,he ran more like his former teammate Marion Barber than Herschel Walker!As much as I dog this kid, I will gladly eat my words if he can somehow become the everydown threat in which he was envisioned.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]P.S.   he was drafted not only for his ability to hit the "Homerun" but also because, in college,he ran more like his former teammate Marion Barber than Herschel Walker!As much as I dog this kid, I will gladly eat my words if he can somehow become the everydown threat in which he was envisioned.

Who envisioned him as an every down threat. The media? The Patriots? You? How many every down threats are there in todays NFL? How long do there careers last? Look Im not saying the guy is the best but I am quick to defend him because the criticism he has received in this forum is hilarious.

Are you saying he is a bust? He was drafted in the first round so he has to have 1300 yards and run for 10 tds and can't get hurt? Or he was not worth the pick? Would you rather we had taken other rbs in the first? Joseph Addai maybe?

Chad Jackson is an example of a bust, but I'll ask you this, If Chad had played in 14 plus games and had 700 yards receiving and 6 tds his first year then followed that up with 800 yards and 7 tds his second year would he be a bust or a great piece to the wide receiver core?

Im not saying you directly but it sounds as if a lot of fans(or trolls) had unrealistic expectations for Maroney and now they are mad at who? Maroney? Belichick? I just don't get it???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLoyalFan. Show PatsLoyalFan's posts

He just doesn't hit the hole hard enough and only wants to run if there's a huge hole.  he doesn't know how to take what's there and live another down.  too much zero or losses.  if you notice Fred Taylor's runs Fred is always moving the pile 2 yards or more upon impact.  And Fred knows  how to take 2 or 3 yards if that's all that's there.  Maroney doesnt' do that.
     Maroney goes down way too easy.  he likes running in space and he likes running against inferior opponents.  don't know if he'll ever get it, but he's worth another year to find out.  he did have a real good December and January of 2007 when the weather was bad and in the playoff games.  then he runs out of bounds vs the Giants when we were driving up 7-3.  we ended up not gettting the first down and it brought NY life.  if we got the first down there and kept on driving we may have destroyed NY's confidence.  He's still very young, he came into the league as a young 20 year old.  maybe this year he'll see Taylor and learn,   doubtful but worth one more year at the rookie deal he signed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

People hating on Maroney are upset that he is not more valuable as a fantasy runningback... newsflash folks; Bill Belichick could give a rat's a ss about your fantasy squad or stats in general; he lives in the real world where a healthy runningback in the playoffs and another win in the column on the left is the only stat of importance.

Get over it, draft a running back from a team going nowhere...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm no fan of Maroney, he likes step dancing too much. He is turning into a headache. He played with Corey Dillion a year and even though it wasn't Dillion's best year, Maroney should've learned something from him. Go for the short gain and give Brady a 2 and 8 or a 3 and 6, but a 2 and 10 is not encouraging. It can ruin the momentum of the offense. 

TrueChamp, the Pats could've drafted DeAngelo Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew, Jerious Norwood, and Leon Washington.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]He just doesn't hit the hole hard enough and only wants to run if there's a huge hole.  he doesn't know how to take what's there and live another down.  too much zero or losses.  if you notice Fred Taylor's runs Fred is always moving the pile 2 yards or more upon impact.  And Fred knows  how to take 2 or 3 yards if that's all that's there.  Maroney doesnt' do that.  Maroney goes down way too easy.  he likes running in space and he likes running against inferior opponents.  don't know if he'll ever get it, but he's worth another year to find out.  he did have a real good December and January of 2007 when the weather was bad and in the playoff games.  then he runs out of bounds vs the Giants when we were driving up 7-3.  we ended up not gettting the first down and it brought NY life.  if we got the first down there and kept on driving we may have destroyed NY's confidence.  He's still very young, he came into the league as a young 20 year old.  maybe this year he'll see Taylor and learn,   doubtful but worth one more year at the rookie deal he signed.
    Posted by PatsLoyalFan[/QUOTE]

This says it best.  He makes lots of good plays but too often he just stutters and dances behind the line.  That has to be bad for the team's morale.  Every time they hand the ball off to him, they have to be wondering if he will take the play off.  That's why I favor cutting him now, in spite of all the good things he does.  I'd rather have a bad RB who always gives his best than an elite RB who doesn't try if he doesn't see anything. 

BTW, don't remember which play Maroney went out of bounds in the Super Bowl.  I remember he caught a great screen right after the Hobbs INT setting up second and 2, but then the Giants jammed him twice.  It looked more like the Giants line just beating our line, rather than Maroney doing anything wrong. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NatickPats. Show NatickPats's posts

i went to the game last nite and he looked fine guys

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

"Maroney looks too tenatious"

I wish Laura was more tenacious when he's running with the ball, but I fear he's nothing more than way too tentative.

Face it - for a first round draft choice, he's been a bust. If he was drafted in the 5th round, we wouldn't be having these discussions. He'd better pick it up this year, or it will be his last.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from timfromvt. Show timfromvt's posts

Maybe he has trade value.  Cap friendly...and the Pats dont need his dancing anyway.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RantinRaven. Show RantinRaven's posts

I too was at the game and the overwhelming opinion was that Maroney did fine, and you could really see him gaining self-confidence.  As Corey Dillion once told me, it's tough to run when the D is sticking 8 in the box and they're blowing up the running lanes.  I think for now he's going to be most effective with play action passes.

BJGE needs to play with the 1's to get a fair assessment, lots of big holes for him to run through.  Chris Taylor also looked good and needs more time on the field before he gets kicked to the street.   Watching some of the Skins defenders
    (2-3's) reminded me of spikes on the ground (practically having a knee on the ground and launching from this position) when these two were running, leading with their hats in an attempt to get them on the ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Calling all Maroney backers:
    [QUOTE]Yeah,the 3 of you that are left.Specifically Olsonic.What is your excuse going to be this week after Larry once again proved my point that at best he is Faulk's future replacement.Green-Ellis is twice the back he is and even Stevie Wonder can see that.Thank God BB brought in both Taylor's to keep this future bust nailed to the bench once the real games begin.Unless Larry grows a pair real quick,he'll go the way of Blair Thomas faster than you can say Mosi Tatupu!

It's been documented by Bill himself that Lawrence was hurt (shoulder) last year. I watched the Redskins game and on a few ocassions he did tap his way toward the line. I also saw him make a few tough runs and find a couple of holes I didn't see. All RB's tap to some degree, in my opinion Lawrence Maroney knows this needs to be his breakout year. And he'll live up to expectations.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

To be fair Maroney had a couple runs where he punched through for a few yards, but the dancing thing does get frustrating to watch. Like many here i think his future lies as Faulk's replacement. As long as he understands his value when it's time for a new contract i think he'll remain on the roster

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I'm no fan of Maroney, he likes step dancing too much. He is turning into a headache. He played with Corey Dillion a year and even though it wasn't Dillion's best year, Maroney should've learned something from him. Go for the short gain and give Brady a 2 and 8 or a 3 and 6, but a 2 and 10 is not encouraging. It can ruin the momentum of the offense.  TrueChamp, the Pats could've drafted DeAngelo Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew,  Jerious Norwood, and Leon Washington.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

You would rather have Norwood or Leon Washingtons ability to hit the line hard and push the pile???? MJD and Williams are examples of backs that exceeded expectations and if the Pats had drafted either of these rbs I suspect most of us would have been a little more upset then we are right now. 06 and 07 Maroney wasnt just an accident. The player has skills and is still VERY YOUNG. Im personally excited to see what he can do with a healthy Brady and prolific offense in his second year with that type of fire power.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

This is probably irrelevant but I'm forced at gunpoint to watch the Browns every week and I can testify that Jamal Lewis is the Fred Astaire of the NFL. He seems to think that he'll break his legs if he takes one full stride.
    This is probably irrelevant.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Maroney backers : You would rather have Norwood or Leon Washingtons ability to hit the line hard and push the pile???? MJD and Williams are examples of backs that exceeded expectations and if the Pats had drafted either of these rbs I suspect most of us would have been a little more upset then we are right now. 06 and 07 Maroney wasnt just an accident. The player has skills and is still VERY YOUNG. Im personally excited to see what he can do with a healthy Brady and prolific offense in his second year with that type of fire power.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Look, Maroney is similar to Marion Barber. If he could run like him I doubt Pats' fans would think he is a bust. You play for the most powerful offense in NFL history, you don't have to average 10 yards a run all you have to do is give them something to work with. Imagine if Maroney just got us two yards and then Welker coverts for an 8 yard catch. The Safeties would have to move up and leave Randy Moss in one-on-one coverage. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I think the fact he can catch is huge. Im not a Maroney backer but im a believer in him. He carried the Pats in the playoffs in 07 and when healthy he has proven he is a very good NFL RB.

Now heres the problem with that statement "when healthy". He needs to work with the Pats coditioning coach and get stronger specfically in his shoulder where his problem seems to lie (Two injuries with his shoulder since being a Pat)

Maroney also has a problem with the damn sideways tap dancing cra p but that seems to be more of a problem with him trying to find a lane every darn play. Lanes are going to get clogged up at times and he has to learn that he just has to run through it at times and not take a loss.

I doubt were the only ones bashing Maroney and I think Ivan Fears and Billy B have preached this to him without a doubt. To dont run sideways but to run north.

Honestly I wish the Pats would just draft a back in the draft (not the first) that can just carry the ball and isnt slow as a turtle (Benny).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from josepr. Show josepr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Calling all Maroney backers : green ellis is such a stud against back-ups,and third stringers.to really get a good look at him he needs to play against the starters.maroney didnt do bad last night compared to others.
    Posted by Vladtheimpaler1[/QUOTE]

I would love to see more BenJarvus agains starters! See how he fairs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSav. Show BSav's posts

I agree with Rebels1520, the Pats could do a lot worse than Maroney right now.  He is going to get another shot and he deserves another shot.  If wants to even think about making some money when his rookie K is up, perhaps the light will turn on for him this season.  Nobody can question his big play ability. And he seems to see the field better on traps and draws. However, it's the tough, hit it up in the hole, move the chain-type runs he needs to start mixing into his repertoire.   

Sections
Shortcuts