Calling all Maroney backers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Calling all Maroney backers

In Response to Re: Calling all Maroney backers:
    In Response to Re: Calling all Maroney backers : Look, Maroney is similar to Marion Barber. If he could run like him I doubt Pats' fans would think he is a bust. You play for the most powerful offense in NFL history, you don't have to average 10 yards a run all you have to do is give them something to work with. Imagine if Maroney just got us two yards and then Welker coverts for an 8 yard catch. The Safeties would have to move up and leave Randy Moss in one-on-one coverage. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Well he averages 4.4 yards so your 2 yard theory looks pretty safe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Yapple, Lewis has had far more carries than Maroney(check with ZB). I still see Maroney as a sweep, screen pass and potential 3rd down back more than a trap or between the tackles RB (a job that Morris, Faulk,Taylor and BGE can do). I'm not sure what it is. it might be going down after first contact...I don't know...I do think our Pats have a stable of backs capable of getting the job done if Maroney or anyone else falters..I never saw Maroney as a feature guy like Lewis or LT or whoever, despite being drafted in the 1st round and in the Pats offense he doesn't have to be the feature back to be effective. I think we can all agree, at this point, if turns out to be faulk revisited that would fine with most of us. It'd be unrealistic to think he;s going morph into Peterson or any other feature back any time soon.

Just my two cents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pmoneydowns. Show pmoneydowns's posts

Maroney is a bust as a first round pick but he is still a servicable player on this team. He will be needed at some point this season because the top backs on this roster have big time durability issues. Maroney is included in that group as far as durability goes. Taylor and Morris both have a history of injuries and I'll take Maroney as my second or third back on the roster any day.
    And whether you liked or hated him, Ellis Hobbs was a very good kick returner and there is a void left with his departure. I think Maroney can fill that void at a level close to Hobbs. he will be considered a first round bust, but he is still a serviceable player in the NFL, his future I believe is as a replacement at third down back once Faulk retires.

bust: yes, considering where he was drafted.
    worth keeping around: for the right price, yes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Calling all Maroney backers:
    Yeah,the 3 of you that are left.Specifically Olsonic.What is your excuse going to be this week after Larry once again proved my point that at best he is Faulk's future replacement.Green-Ellis is twice the back he is and even Stevie Wonder can see that.Thank God BB brought in both Taylor's to keep this future bust nailed to the bench once the real games begin.Unless Larry grows a pair real quick,he'll go the way of Blair Thomas faster than you can say Mosi Tatupu!
    Posted by mojobag101

+1

I never saw anything in Maroney, even after his first year.  How/why people saw him as a premium RB anchoring the running game for years is beyond me.  Wishful thinking?  Methinks.

With Moroney, the team never knows if their running game will be in operation, even in the big games.  Of course, this puts all of the pressure on the pass; making the opposing defensive game that much easier.  Stop betting the Pat's future on Maroney- he's a backup, at best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Calling all Maroney backers:
    In Response to Re: Calling all Maroney backers : Look, Maroney is similar to Marion Barber. If he could run like him I doubt Pats' fans would think he is a bust. You play for the most powerful offense in NFL history, you don't have to average 10 yards a run all you have to do is give them something to work with. Imagine if Maroney just got us two yards and then Welker coverts for an 8 yard catch. The Safeties would have to move up and leave Randy Moss in one-on-one coverage. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

The may have been teammates, but they aren't similar runners. Barber is balls-to-the-wall, pedal to the metal, hard-nosed runner. Laura is, well......, laura.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Calling all Maroney backers:
    Yeah,the 3 of you that are left.Specifically Olsonic

LOL..

Imagine having an axe to grind with me because you are stewing over my previous point i made about you calling Maroney a "pus$y". Without mentioning anything about maroney as a feature back in the NFL, i attacked the know-nothing macho-men who called Maroney a light-weight when the guy played with injuries most couldn't imagine.

I found what I posted about maroney and I'm going to repost it here:

"Lawrence maroney played last season with a BROKEN shoulder.
    He played runningback, in the NFL.... with a broken shoulder.

Watch who you are calling a "beeyatch"  Mr .Keyboard quarterback. You wouldn't last through halftime in a high school football game with a broken shoulder let alone fathom the abuse you would take in a single NFL running-play.

classic example of Bill Belichick's reluctance to give away injury information backfiring in unexpected places. Clearly, had more patriots fans been aware of the pain he must have been playing in, surely they would give him more of a break.

Leatherhelmet created an account and mashed his biceps against the keyboard and left us with this contemptible wall of text that only makes me wonder if I should be embarrassed for reading it."

my "maroney backing" is just fact-backing. Something most people on these boards don't have a concept of.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

If Maroney was a free agent off another team then most people here would want to sign him for the right price.  Everyone would talk about the great finish to the end of the 2007 season he had and since he was a first round pick then he must have talent and potential.  Sure he's been injured but he's an excellent kick returner, great in the open field and if he can stay healthy then he'll absolutely be worth a roster spot.  Well NE already has him at a cheap salary and it would actually cost a million more against the cap to cut him.  Lower your sky high expectations a little bit, not like he's the 2nd overall pick of that draft - Bush who hasn't done sh!t.  Watch out for LM stepping it up in the passing game this year too.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts