Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade

@www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=6819757fa2842fd1aae889a8371fe101&plckUserId=6819757fa2842fd1aae889a8371fe101" target="_parent">RiceintheHall

yeah and that 3rd rounder is gonna be so crucial to this rebuilding process. we already have an a$$load of picks next draft, they cant all make the team in one season anyway, which means some will be traded back and ultimately flipped into future seasons yet again. now BB has more ammunition in those middle rounds he loves so dearly, say goodbye to one of the first rounders!

fact is...we still did have a chance this season, we are 3-1 and your crystal ball tells you we dont have a chance, so everyone should just embrace this brilliant move eh?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade : Yeah, a voice of reason who thinks Marshall plays for the Jets. This move sux in every way.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

OOPS brain f*rt I meant Braylon Edwards!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

Seriously, I am furious. How does this help the Pats.

1. NYJ: Now Revis can shift from the deep threat decoy and the NJY defensive schemes to prevent a deep route and cover someone like Welker and give us zero deep options. Which means the Jets know this and can confidently adjust their defensive packages.

2. We actually have to PLAY MN on 10/31. Does anyone here think Moss is not gonna be up for this game to teach BB and Kraft a lesson?

The Pats are 3-1. They are right in the thick of the AFC East. And they just dismantled an offensive decoy (at the very least) that opened up our entire offense. Every time Moss lines up, he is a 60 yard threat. Every time. And that's what made Brady & NE so dangerous. BB had better have some draft pick trades in the works right now to bring in players for THIS season. I'm tired of Boston teams rebuilding for the future. We already have two first & second round draft picks for 2011 (which BB will probably trade away).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Nobody is thinking this through.  Moss is what? thirty two?  It is highly likely that there will be no season next year and at the end of that he'll be thirty four.  That's old for an NFL receiver and if no one has noticed, Moss seems to have lost a step.  You want to give him a big contract?  He's not getting separation on the Dbacks now, he's just running with them.  I see this as a very smart move.  They get him out of the locker room, they get a pick for him, (BB owns the next draft, you tote up the picks in the various rounds). 

They have already drafted receivers with excellent speed, who can spread the field and open things up for Welker, Edleman, and Woody,  The team has gotten really young, they are building a contender for years going forward.  Brady needs to get back to doing what he's always done best, find and hit the open receiver.  Don't forget Hernandez, who is really the new prototypical NFL receiver, big and fast, able to make the catch in the intermediate range and make yards after the catch, BIG TIME. .  Then there's Gronk.  Brady has many options for the passing game.  I like this.  I like this a lot.  The gloom and doomers are living in the past but not far enough back in the past. You forget what BB has done and how he did it in years past. Jeez, get over yourselves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I think what's really bothering people is that there was a belief among Pats fans that Randy would somehow morph into one of these guys who buys into the "Patriot Way" and hang around at a discount for the benefit of assaulting the record books on Tom Brady's arm. History should have told us this wouldn't happen, but we hoped for it just the same. What we've just seen is nothing more than what Randy has done at every stop along the way. He had one more lucrative contract in him and he intended to get it. If that meant he had to go back to acting like a petulant child and make himself more of a headache than his production warranted, that was the way it was going to be. My sincere hope is that Brett Favre and the Vikes' O-line continue to stink it up and Randy spends the rest of his days in the NFL with Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball 15 feet over his head.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Nobody is thinking this through.  Moss is what? thirty two?  It is highly likely that there will be no season next year and at the end of that he'll be thirty four.  That's old for an NFL receiver and if no one has noticed, Moss seems to have lost a step.  You want to give him a big contract?  He's not getting separation on the Dbacks now, he's just running with them.  I see this as a very smart move.  They get him out of the locker room, they get a pick for him, (BB owns the next draft, you tote up the picks in the various rounds).  They have already drafted receivers with excellent speed, who can spread the field and open things up for Welker, Edleman, and Woody,  The team has gotten really young, they are building a contender for years going forward.  Brady needs to get back to doing what he's always done best, find and hit the open receiver.  Don't forget Hernandez, who is really the new prototypical NFL receiver, big and fast, able to make the catch in the intermediate range and make yards after the catch, BIG TIME. .  Then there's Gronk.  Brady has many options for the passing game.  I like this.  I like this a lot.  The gloom and doomers are living in the past but not far enough back in the past. You forget what BB has done and how he did it in years past. Jeez, get over yourselves.
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

Thanks for a little bit of sanity. I tend to agree with you. Although Moss was valuable in terms of opening the field for this offense so we could execute the underneath, I still think are enough weapons in the stable to be productive and win games.
    However, it seems that every good/great team has a long ball threat. Look at the Saints, Colts, Ravens,etc....so the question I have is if we have lost our homerun hitter (albeit one with aging legs), who is stepping up to stretch the field so Welker, Edelman, Gronk, Hernandez, Woody, etc. can catch underneath? All of a sudden teams we play only have to dedicate a CB to our deep guy and not a safety, which means the safety can play more inside the box and make the underneath/intermediate routes that much more difficult to obtain. 

Look, at the end of the day, I think it had to be done. Moss was not here mentally and we need to move on. I'm just trying to get my head around who is going to be the guy that keeps defenses spread out and not clumped in the middle....Any takers?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The only way this trade makes sense is if we flip that 3rd (and another pick) to get Jackson (who is what 27 yrs old). Aside from that I can't help but feel this was a bad trade. Moss is a once a generation player. When his career is over the only person he'll be looking up to is Jerry Rice. If we had gotten an established player in return (Chad Greenway) alot people on this board would be happier, and I'd be one of them. We have no effective deep threat right now and that'll hurt the Pats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Murg..I hear your frustration, but the Pats were not guaranteed a 3rd round pick if Randy up and left after this year. There is a lot of things that would need to occur for us to get that pick, one of which is what we replace Randy with in terms of FA's...so the 3rd was by no means "guaranteed". 

Lets stand by...perhaps there is more in the works here....after all, we now have an open roster spot for someone?....Any guesses?...Another promotion from the practice squad or perhaps another trade in the works?.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

You people that keep talking about building for the future ... Talk to me in the future ... This trade absoltely sux! Moss was been are entire O for the past 3 years. One of those w/out 12. You think teams spend a minute trying to stop WW from getting in the end zone? LOL You really want to depend on ST every week. How about all the coverage he would lift for our TE's and slot WRs. I can think of at least 2 TDs from A.Hern./Gronky that he was responsible for and how many catches does he give WW every week? Im so sick and tired of hearing about draft picks and what have we done in our recent drafts that leads you to believe we'll get actual players w/ those picks. We took Butler , Chung , Brace , when we could have had Matthews and (or) Laurinaitis/Mauluga ... I would have taken Laurinaitis , but w/e. We passed on Jameel Charles and  took Wilhite! Watson , LM , Jackson ... throw them in there as well. We havent been killin' the draft as some people like to believe. Im just not happy about this ... say what you want about the Vikes. but their going all in , while we're saying , "Lets win in two years" ... mind you that going to a Pats game is one of the most , if not the most exspensive tickets in all of sports when you take into account parking , prices etc. We're 3-1 and our Div. looks very tough , but w/ Moss I couldnt see us losing it. I absolutely believe its up for grabs. I have no problem admitting that I felt the same about the Sey trade. Listen I would have taken the 1 , but your not a better team w/out him. Teams , including Balt. ran on what would have been his side ALL YEAR! We're not a better team w/out Moss ... even w/ all the great WRs in todays game theres only 1 that can demand the coverages he demands , theres only one that can give you 15-18 TDs and we just gave him away to build for the future. I wonder what will happen first? Dr. Dre actually releases his long awaited Detox alblum ... thats is 10 years in the making, Or all these draft picks we've got in the last 3-5 years actually pan out. Please tell how this makes us better THIS YEAR , we're 3 F'IN games into the season , we're 3-1! Should be 4-0 , we gave away that jets game in the second half. We should have done this 3 months ago or 4 weeks ago when Moss first ask the Pats to think about trading him. Our team wins when we score points , thats not up for debate. We dont have a Pitt/Balt D and cant really expect to be a 21-17 type team ... THIS ISNT 2001 for christ sake! We need to outscore teams to win and I cant understand how getting rid of Moss a qr. into the season helps this team win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i'm with beantowne... this isnt the end of the world. if anything it could lead to more a spread it around passing attack like the old days. thanks for everything randy... but looks like its over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]I think what's really bothering people is that there was a belief among Pats fans that Randy would somehow morph into one of these guys who buys into the "Patriot Way" and hang around at a discount for the benefit of assaulting the record books on Tom Brady's arm. History should have told us this wouldn't happen, but we hoped for it just the same. What we've just seen is nothing more than what Randy has done at every stop along the way. He had one more lucrative contract in him and he intended to get it. If that meant he had to go back to acting like a petulant child and make himself more of a headache than his production warranted, that was the way it was going to be. My sincere hope is that Brett Favre and the Vikes' O-line continue to stink it up and Randy spends the rest of his days in the NFL with Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball 15 feet over his head.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

He already took a pay cut to be with the pats.  He had higher offers.  What may be accurate however is that no one takes 2 pay cuts.  Further, I guess whining is in the eyes of the beholder since no one blamed brady for his.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikem235. Show mikem235's posts

Just to look on the bright side for one second, this screws the Jets over a bit for this Sunday, which I'm always in favor of.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

This is a HORRIBLE DEAL...... picks DO NOT come close to proven players.... Moss pulled the safety and corner on every single play... sometimes commanding a tripple team... opening it up for welker, hernandez, etccc.... Tate is nasty but now does this mean tate doesnt do kickoffs anymore because they need him as number 1 or 2 wide reciever and dont want to risk further injury and wear him out???

Bad Trade

In the past we had a beast running back antoine smith, corey dillion.. and a Good defense now we are running back by committee, suspect defense and no true #1, welker is a slot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hingen. Show hingen's posts

One obvisous good thing I see in this trade is that Moss will beat the JETS this coming MNF for the Pats. 
    Go Moss - /> Kick JETS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade:
    [QUOTE]No. There is none. THIS IS A FRICKIN DISASTER. AND ALL FOR WHAT? A FRICKIN 3rd ROUND PICK. We would have gotten a frickin 3rd rd pick in compensation anyway. WHAT HAVE WE GOTTEN FROM TRADING MOSS? What kind of idiots are running our front office? What kind of moron made this call? Why give away something for nothing? WTFFFFFFFFF is going on here? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Nobody is going to trade a 1st or 2nd round pick for an aging receiver who is a free agent at the end of the season but don't let that little fact bother you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikem235. Show mikem235's posts

When was the last time the Pats didn't win 10 games in a season?  2002.  Last losing season?  2000.  It's almost like the management knows what they're doing, long term, to make a winner.  Everyone in New England complains, but year after year the team gets it done.  So why the lack of faith?  Spoiled fans.  Go try rooting for the Lions or the Rams or the Bills or the Raiders.  Then you can complain.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]The Patriots aren't going to sign him for what he wants, so he's gone at the end of the year. This way they get a pick and can control where he goes. Do we want him on the Jets?? They aren't going to resign Marshall. Apparently his agent called BB after the first game to tell him he wanted to be traded. I honestly don't think Moss wants to leave New England  and was trying to get an extension, but it's backfired on him. There is a lot of new talent on the team that Brady is already looking to.  Randy doesn't want to get hurt so he's not going to extend himself. Murghkhor you must be peeing yourself you're so happy to be able to post another negative rant. OOPS I mean Braylon Ewards.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Most rational post on the subject I have read so far.

I love Moss and wanted him to retire a Patriot.  But when I heard about what he did at the off-season award dinner for Kraft (wearing headphones, blasting rap while Kraft spoke), and complaining in the winter that the Pats are "cheap" for not extending him while they had not yet signed Brady or Wilfork (two more essential Pats, who ended up getting monster contracts) and after they had already made him the higgest-paid WR on his current contract, and finally the public gasket-blast after the Cincy game, it became clear that he had throroughly burned his bridge a' la Branch, Law, Samuels, Mankins.  Calling Kraft "cheap" while Kraft is one of the bigger philanthropists in Massachussets and paying among the highest combined team salary in the NFL is low-class and unfair.

So Moss made this a no-win for the Pats and we all just have to accept it.  He would have been gone in 12-16 more games anyway. Why let him slouch on plays and spoil the locker room?  Didn't they have that problem last year with AD?

Moss threw a wimply block Monday that killed a play and ended a drive, so like Game claims, he wasn't going to play hard for the Pats this season anyway. And maybe that's why he wasn't making nearly as many tough, spectacular catches as he used to make...the kind of catches he was paid to make on that fat contract but didn't make last year and didn't make Sunday in the fake-spike play.

We all have to move forward with the team.  A lot of fans here were upset with the Seymour trade.  Well that looks like it was a gold strike now.  A lot of people doubted the Pats for letting Cassel and Vrabel go.  But Cassel was tagged and unaffordable and Brady has proved to be the better QB since.  Vrabel had cleary lost a step and now the Pats have new guys with speed in his place and brought more pressure last week than they could in 2008.  Almost all of the players the Pats "let go" that had fans here irrate have turned out to be busts elsewhere for one reason or another.  And even if they are not busts, they have not played up to their new contracts.

The question now is, who will be bumped-up in Moss' absence?  Is Price going to be activated, or will we just see more of Edleman?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]@ www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=6819757fa2842fd1aae889a8371fe101&plckUserId=6819757fa2842fd1aae889a8371fe101 " target="_parent" /> RiceintheHall yeah and that 3rd rounder is gonna be so crucial to this rebuilding process. we already have an a$$load of picks next draft, they cant all make the team in one season anyway, which means some will be traded back and ultimately flipped into future seasons yet again. now BB has more ammunition in those middle rounds he loves so dearly, say goodbye to one of the first rounders! fact is...we still did have a chance this season, we are 3-1 and your crystal ball tells you we dont have a chance, so everyone should just embrace this brilliant move eh?
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

Who says BB doesn't plan to use the lower picks to trade up in an un-capped or rookie-capped draft?  The team is rebuilding.  The more picks, the better. 

Like you wrote, not every pick will make the team, so it's good to have insurance if you can get it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade : Who says BB doesn't plan to use the lower picks to trade up in an un-capped or rookie-capped draft?  the team is rebuilding.  The more pciks, the better.  Like you wrote, not every pick will make the team, so it's good to have insurance if you can get it.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

chris...generally speaking i appreciate the rationality of your posts, i am merely going by BB's proven track record on draft days, we all know draft days are generally very frustrating for pats fans with the constant trading down and flipping for future picks etc. the problem with that strategy is, eventually the "future" has to come, what good is trading picks for the future every year and never cashing them in?

so i was just reminding everyone of BB's typical draft strategy for those so elated about picking up another 3.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade : No. What is really bothering is that we got a 3 rd in the trade that we would have gotten anyway. What's really bothering is that even a child knows to get something in return when you're trading. What's really bothering is that our front office is full of idiots with no negotiating prowess at all.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Well said, murg.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calm down guys, here's the good news on the Moss trade : chris...generally speaking i appreciate the rationality of your posts, i am merely going by BB's proven track record on draft days, we all know draft days are generally very frustrating for pats fans with the constant trading down and flipping for future picks etc. the problem with that strategy is, eventually the "future" has to come, what good is trading picks for the future every year and never cashing them in? so i was just reminding everyone of BB's typical draft strategy for those so elated about picking up another 3.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words Hoff.  Love the classic Hoff photo.

We all know you are right about the past, that BB likes to trade down.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  But this is a new era because the old rules are gone.  The new rules will either be (a) no cap, which in the case of N.E. (a rich-market team), will allow them to pay the top picks w/o concern of cap issues, as they are perrenially within a few mill of the cap; (b) if there is a new CBA, it will almost certainly come with a rookie cap, still allowing the above scenerio.

Ultimately and apparently, Randy was already "gone".  For a long time I wanted him to stay, but as I learned, saw, heard, read more, it seems they may have chosen the lesser of two evils. 

A silver lining is that he maybe the missing piece the Vikes need to beat the Jets Monday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

seriously if moss is gone i want vincent jackson in a pats uniform in less than 2 days or the pats dont really think we can win it all this year/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

[QUOTE]This is a HORRIBLE DEAL ...... picks DO NOT come close to proven players .... Moss pulled the safety and corner on every single play... sometimes commanding a tripple team... opening it up for welker, hernandez, etccc.... Tate is nasty but now does this mean tate doesnt do kickoffs anymore because they need him as number 1 or 2 wide reciever and dont want to risk further injury and wear him out??? Bad Trade In the past we had a beast running back antoine smith, corey dillion.. and a Good defense now we are running back by committee, suspect defense and no true #1, welker is a slot.
    Posted by ccusson1122[/QUOTE]

I love how everyone thinks that Moss pulled the safety on everly play....he might have on Man to Man coverages with a not so good DB on him....but in Zone coverages he didn't....

Did you just say that Antione Smith was a beast?  LOL!  WOW!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

[QUOTE] seriously if moss is gone i want vincent jackson in a pats uniform in less than 2 days or the pats dont really think we can win it all this year/
    Posted by R3S1N20[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is dumb.....you want someone with a track record and is suspended for the first 8 games and wants a ton of money?  nobody smart will pay him what he wants, because it will be a waste of money.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-r-us. Show pats-r-us's posts

After the game Monday night, Randy said "It's called a game plan", when asked about his failure to catch a pass...   Apparently, it wasn't the coach's game plan.  Thanks for some good years, Randy..., but you were never really a "team guy"...     Pats fans,  build a bridge and get over it!....  Breath in, Breath out, move on....    Play ball...