Calvin Johnson controversy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Calvin Johnson controversy

WOW, I just saw that replay where he caught a game winning TD, took 2 steps, put the ball on the ground and it was ruled incomplete LOL

Tough one to swallow there. Tough call.

Can see why it was called though, he can't put the ball on the ground like that, too many replays and rules to overturn it.

What do you all think of the call?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Calvin Johnson controversy

There should be no controvery at all....it was a TD....period. He had the ball all the way to to the ground, his entire body was down before he let go....absolute garbage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

He and the Lions got screwed. Too bad on a day they lost Stafford as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

By rule it was the right call. The refs need some leeway to make a judgement call on that catch. It was definitely a TD catch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The act of making the catch was clearly over when the ball slipped out of his hand on the way up to celebrate.  Bull$h!T call.  I guess every time a receiver spikes the ball after a TD catch they should be ruled incomplete also.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

There's a catch and then there's an NFL catch.  Somehow the NFL has determined that a player must grip the ball against their moving arms, legs, head and torso while they get tackled and smash into the ground without the ball making the slightest movement.  They are actually redifining what we have all known since childhood as a catch into something else. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Referee Gene Steratore said, "The ruling is that in order for the catch to be completed he has got to maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch."

Johnson was "shocked" by the call, saying, "I figure if I got two feet and a knee down, to me that is a catch. That's why I got up and took off," he said.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said the officials got it right.

"The rule is if you're going to the ground in the process of making the catch you need to finish with the football," he said. "He didn't finish with the football. He was (aware) he was trying to come down with it, he had one hand to keep it away from the other guy, he is trying to get his feet down and go to a knee it wasn't like he was trying to flip it to the official or anything. That's what it is."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

http://detroit4lyfe.com/articles/detroit-lions/calvin-johnsons-touchdown-catch-against-the-bears-that-wasnt-called-a-touchdown.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

This video is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s_EPK9MtJE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

What i see is, catch, 1 foot down, 2nd foot down, slide 4 feet, land on his butt, turn over on knee and put ball to the ground where it pops out of his hand, glad that this call did not cost my team a win.

UNREAL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Seams to me that the one official raising his arms signaling touchdown had it right. What logic over turned it anyways?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

That was the correct call. Rules are rules. Both teams play by the same rules.

Calvin had a case of premature celebration. His fault. He cost the Lions the win.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

how can the official that was watching it the whole time, and you can obviously see that he had his arms in the air signaling touchdown, be overruled by refs not nearly as close?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If Calvin Johnson wasn't in such a huge rush to celebrate he wouldn't have put the team at risk. I don't really even think it was that close. Even the Lions own coach understands it. Not much of a controversy - retain possession, handle the ball  to the official, collect the win. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Catch, no bobble, 2 feet, a hand, a knee...then the second hand with ball FINALLY comes down, the ball comes out and...no TD?

Shockingly, the refs got the call right. Hey, Brady fumbled in 01 against the Raiders, I saw it...bad call. It's sad that the rule was reestablished this offseason to such an absurd degree, but that being said...

Calvin Johnson is to blame. He should KNOW the rule. And what is every WR taught from a VERY YOUNG AGE? Secure the ball. Don't hold it like a loaf of bread. Don't use the arm carrying the ball to break your fall. Fail. Fail. Fail. Had he secured the ball, and not been in such a rush to celebrate, he'd have an ACTUAL reason to celebrate. Lions fans should turn their attention on him. The rule is bogus, but a rule is a rule...and they don't have Polian as their GM to change it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to Re: Calvin Johnson controversy:
    [QUOTE] Hey, Brady fumbled in 01 against the Raiders, I saw it...bad call. [/QUOTE]
    No, that was the right call according to the rules. His arm was in a forward motion when the ball got stripped. BS rule YES, but bad call NO.

And don't forget the vicious shot to the head Brady took on that same play , a 15 yard penalty, that was not called.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_370_Woodson%27s_head_slap.html

Sections
Shortcuts