Camp observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Camp observations

not made by me, I was not in attendance. I am back in town and did catch up with some one who was there.

interesting comments;

-Tavon Wilson looked good, and is certainly going to be a factor in camp. he is certainly not a lock, but it is not so far reaching that he has a place on the team, and does see some S snaps in addition to his ST play

-James Anderson was thought a roster question. but he looks like he fit right in, picking up the defense pretty handily, hard worker. should be an asset on Sundays

-Brandon Bolden looks healthy

-Lafell did not impress. I wondered about him a few weeks ago. Pats gave him a lot of money

-the TE situation is blatantly unimpressive

-the Pats are going to have to cut some good OLmen that will play in the NFL. it would not surprise if Cave outperformed Kline, Wendell and Connolly.

-Ridley is much bigger than last year

-caution and patience, and no pads, but VW really looks ok

-Easley is not signed because of the injury language the Pats are insisting on.

-there is still a very strong belief that Keller will be here

I do plan on attending in July, and look forward to posting as much as I can.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Camp observations

Thanks for posting!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thanks for the info.

Regards to Easley, it does look like the Pats know it could be an issue, more so than other players. They much have magical powers to predict it could be an issue.

LaFell comment not surprising given the player. Not sure why people got so excited about him way back when he was signed. I hope he picks it up because we are going to need him but water finds it's level and people built a dam to prop him up at the time.

The TE comments have me concerned a lot. Everyone knew it was an issue going into the offseason and it wasn't addressed. Even if they get Keller he's a major question mark on what he can give. This is the one position I think they really dropped the ball on this offseason.

T. Wilson, not shocked since I think he can see the writing on the wall but we've heard this about other players too (Ras-I and Butler to name a couple) so not holding my breath on our mid 2nd round pick.

Glad to hear the OL has some good talent. I have a feeling we are really going to need a strong line this year.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Tavon Wilson seems to have been the forgotten man.  I hope he works out 'cause at this point he is the underdog.  

Also, considering where he was drafted I don't want to feel like it was a wasted pick although some people would still think it a waste because of the belief that he could have been picked in a later round.

After last season with all the injuries, depth is certainly key. Can't count on everyone staying healthy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

"Ridley is much bigger"

Hell yes. He's due for a huge season. 1100 yards 10 Tds at the least

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Tavon Wilson seems to have been the forgotten man.  I hope he works out 'cause at this point he is the underdog.  

Also, considering where he was drafted I don't want to feel like it was a wasted pick although some people would still think it a waste because of the belief that he could have been picked in a later round.

After last season with all the injuries, depth is certainly key. Can't count on everyone staying healthy. 

I think with Anderson, Smith and hopefully Buchanon, and the way the draft unfolded on the OL, this team is VERY deep with the exception at TE

I did hear an interesting thought regarding TE....that Josh McD very much prefers playing 3/4 WR's and a RB that can catch the ball over 2 TE formation. The thinking is that this offense will be much more diverse this year, with last years rookie talent was lacking and the TE situation was non existent with Gronk and Hern out    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Interesting thoughts about Tavon Wilson.  I had written him off.  He would be a pleasant suprise if he makes the team and contributes.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

-Tavon Wilson looked good, and is certainly going to be a factor in camp. he is certainly not a lock, but it is not so far reaching that he has a place on the team, and does see some S snaps in addition to his ST play

I try to stay optimistic about drafted players, if he can play special teams well he will extend his stay but he will have to at least back up at safety.  I think his extended camp play is a result of this being a make or break time for him and the team will give him a long look.

-James Anderson was thought a roster question. but he looks like he fit right in, picking up the defense pretty handily, hard worker. should be an asset on Sundays

I can't imagine he is a roster question with our lack of quality depth at linebacker and his overall skill set, he instantly should replace Dane Fletcher and hopefully improve the special team's units.

-Brandon Bolden looks healthy

I'd love to see him get a full load of carries but he could just as soon be gone.

-Lafell did not impress. I wondered about him a few weeks ago. Pats gave him a lot of money

Even if he can pick up the system he won't be impressive, steady and consistent would work for me.

-the TE situation is blatantly unimpressive

It sure is...

-the Pats are going to have to cut some good OLmen that will play in the NFL. it would not surprise if Cave outperformed Kline, Wendell and Connolly.

I gave Cave an extended look after your recommendation and I have to agree he will stick, pretty impressive combination of measurables and resume.  That being said there is a possibility of both he and Kline sticking and some of the higher priced vets get cut loose.  Cave would add some size and strength to the center position and he was also Notre Dame's long snapper which is pretty superb as well. 

-Ridley is much bigger than last year

Hope his forearms are bigger and he has learned to go down when the play is over.

-caution and patience, and no pads, but VW really looks ok

Considering the moaners were complaining Vince was "slowing down" when he was still dominant, a healthy Wilfork and Kelly is key to this season.

-Easley is not signed because of the injury language the Pats are insisting on.

Smart

-there is still a very strong belief that Keller will be here

Likely, let him continue rehab

I do plan on attending in July, and look forward to posting as much as I can.    

Great work buddy, keep it up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

"Ridley is much bigger"

Hell yes. He's due for a huge season. 1100 yards 10 Tds at the least

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

I believe beginning of training camp last year Fears was on him about gaining weight and he got caught from behind in a game. This tells me that the only reason the Pats advised him to bulk up is due to the lack of a bigger back after Blount left and Bush was not signed. If all backs are healthy. I can see Ridley being a 1st, 2nd down bruiser and letting Vareen in on 3rd and Bolden to change pace. With the lineman we picked up its looks like BB has finally realized that to run in playoffs, you need bigger horses up front and chose to stay with Ridley as the starter with a bigger load. Lets see how he responds. If he can give us solid 3 to 5 yards every run w/ball security, I will take that over the big runs and fumbles. We have Vareen for speed. Bolden who can reach 2nd level.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I will take that over the big runs and fumbles. We have Vareen for speed. Bolden who can reach 2nd level.

Don't forget the rookies, Houston and White intrigue me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Thanks for the info rkarp.

I hope Ridley can fix his fumbling problem.  He is a good back that could be really good if he wasn't in the dog house every season.

I have always like Bolden and always thought he could be a good RB, hope this is the year he shows it.

The whole TE situation is just a head scratcher.  Not sure Keller will do much this season.  Really, really wish the Pats would have pulled the trigger on one of the top TE's coming out of the draft.

Lafell... I'm optimistic on this guy but to be honest I wont be surprised if he s less then expected.

I have heard mixed reviews on Garoppolo, what are you hearing about him?

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I will take that over the big runs and fumbles. We have Vareen for speed. Bolden who can reach 2nd level.

Don't forget the rookies, Houston and White intrigue me.

I actually did forget about White who looks like a guy who is a cross between vareen/ridley and will add another dimension that hopefully keeps the D off balance. With the secondary help and to some degree the pass rush I expect the D to be able to get off the field much more paving the way for more snaps in the run game so we can get back to seeing Brady nice and comfy handing off and hitting guys wide open off playaction.

Its high time this offense stop being so reliant on Brady's arm. I think the D will allow that this year. We need Jones, Collins, Revis, McCourty to be difference makers and get away from the BBDB defense

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I think with Anderson, Smith and hopefully Buchanon, and the way the draft unfolded on the OL, this team is VERY deep with the exception at TE

It says it all that Buchanon gets mentioned and Bequette is completely ignored.

Is there a member of the returning 53 who's roster spot is more tenuous than Bequette's?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I heard finch looks crazy agile fast and quick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I believe beginning of training camp last year Fears was on him about gaining weight and he got caught from behind in a game. This tells me that the only reason the Pats advised him to bulk up is due to the lack of a bigger back after Blount left and Bush was not signed. If all backs are healthy. I can see Ridley being a 1st, 2nd down bruiser and letting Vareen in on 3rd and Bolden to change pace. With the lineman we picked up its looks like BB has finally realized that to run in playoffs, you need bigger horses up front and chose to stay with Ridley as the starter with a bigger load. Lets see how he responds. If he can give us solid 3 to 5 yards every run w/ball security, I will take that over the big runs and fumbles. We have Vareen for speed. Bolden who can reach 2nd level.

With Ridley, we all know he's never going to outrun the secondary guys. He runs a 4.6 40, which is fine. Ridley is a good main back who can pound it for 3-5 yards a pop and give you the occasional 10, 20 or 30 yarder when the blocking is great. He is a very good back and I really hope he's over the fumbles because he can do some real damage given the carries

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Thanks for the info.

Regards to Easley, it does look like the Pats know it could be an issue, more so than other players. They much have magical powers to predict it could be an issue.

LaFell comment not surprising given the player. Not sure why people got so excited about him way back when he was signed. I hope he picks it up because we are going to need him but water finds it's level and people built a dam to prop him up at the time.

The TE comments have me concerned a lot. Everyone knew it was an issue going into the offseason and it wasn't addressed. Even if they get Keller he's a major question mark on what he can give. This is the one position I think they really dropped the ball on this offseason.

T. Wilson, not shocked since I think he can see the writing on the wall but we've heard this about other players too (Ras-I and Butler to name a couple) so not holding my breath on our mid 2nd round pick.

Glad to hear the OL has some good talent. I have a feeling we are really going to need a strong line this year.

[object HTMLDivElement]

There's some talk about Easly around Dallas that he really wanted (wants) to be a Cowboy.

Apparently when he was a kid, he went to Garrett's camp for youngsters and credits Garrett for a lot of his success.  He participated as a coach a couple of weeks ago in this years camp and has signed up to coach at that camp, yearly.

Jerry Jones is on record saying the cowboys wanted him but it didn't work out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I don't think Ridley fumbled it once after Faulk worked with him last year...pretty much by avoiding exposing the ball to gain an extra yard or two. 

Re LaFell let's see what he does in camp after he's had a chance to digest the playbook.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

I did hear an interesting thought regarding TE....that Josh McD very much prefers playing 3/4 WR's and a RB that can catch the ball over 2 TE formation. The thinking is that this offense will be much more diverse this year, with last years rookie talent was lacking and the TE situation was non existent with Gronk and Hern out    

I've been saying this for weeks now, that given what the Pats have done in the offseason so far, this looks like a one TE, 3 receiver team.  It's possible as well that they use more two back formations, though this would require at least one of the backs to be a decent receiving threat. 

I wouldn't know for sure whether McDaniels prefers three receivers to two TEs, but I'm sure he realizes that two TEs only works well if both TEs are great threats in the passing game or if you are a heavy run team.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hearing the reports on Lafell is discouraging, but isn't he fighting through some sort of injury? Plus I'm not sure how much I'd expect from him anyway - a 60 catch season would satisfy me - along with that production coming from the outside. I think he is a guy trending on the way up based off his totals from last year and the fact the QB throwing him the ball this year is better. And we always hear how difficult it is to learn this offense, for all we know this could be a case of him "learning" his way through those practices. I wouldn't read too much into anything right now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

rkarp, reading good things about Thompkins, what have you heard?  He's the player I hope can break out and add a lot to the offense. He seems to have the desire to work to improve.  thanks for your input.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Thanks for the info.

Improvements in pass defense was important. The pass rush needs to step up this year. IMO, the OL play during playoffs is the real key that we need.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Good Stuff...Thanks rkarp

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

rkarp, reading good things about Thompkins, what have you heard?  He's the player I hope can break out and add a lot to the offense. He seems to have the desire to work to improve.  thanks for your input.

I read Thompkins has been having a hard time catching the ball.  Anyone else hear or read this?

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts