Can a 35 year old QB win a Super Bowl?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Can a 35 year old QB win a Super Bowl?

I'm guessing that Brees and P. Manning were between 30 and 33? when they won their trophies. But more recently haven't the winning quaterbacks been under 30?  Flacco, E. Manning, Rogders, Rothleiberger. Seems to me that would suggest we lower our expectatins going forward. Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Can a 35 year old QB win a Super Bowl?

If a 35 y/o QB plays well enough for his team to be in the Super Bowl then I can't imagine what bearing his age would have on whether or not he could win it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Plunkett did too if I'm not mistaken.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

If you have nothing nice to say about Brady at the end of the day you still have to admit he's a trailblazer so why not, they have Terrell Davis in Foxborough stadium except they split him into 2 men i.e. Ridley and Vereen, I have a feeling last year was just a glimpse

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

If you have nothing nice to say about Brady at the end of the day you still have to admit he's a trailblazer so why not, they have Terrell Davis in Foxborough stadium except they split him into 2 men i.e. Ridley and Vereen, I have a feeling last year was just a glimpse

Well, some of our concern (non BBWs) is that Brady won't want to make that change that is needed. We've seen it on these boards the last two years.

"He needs a permanent field stretcher"

"Sign Mike Wallace reagrdless of the cost!"

"He has no weapons"

"His WRs 'can't seperate' even though I only watch the games on tv and can't tell if that's true or not. It sounds like educated rhetoric so I'll just say it over and over again to sound smart on BDC.com"

They see #12 on the field and think he has to have the chance to recreate 2007 and chase stats.

I am not trying to argue here, but until Brady shows he gets it on the field with how he uses his personnel, these kinds of age questions will be raised.  Is Brady being a "trailblazer" really code for "ego"?

Elway put his aside. Will Brady?

I really hope so but in saying that, the D will need to be better. I know Brady has to be more efficient rather than a statistical giant, can you admit the D is not at championship level? They were also dreadful in the AFCC not just Brady and the offense, just because Bradys a HOFer and all the rest doesn't mean that the D gets a free pass, it can't be that way with a team with a 53 man roster. 

The thing with Elway and this is what worries me is that he really had gone down a level by the time he won the superbowl, he could have a good game every now and then but no where near the QB he was before. I don't think Brady has reached this level of decline just yet and that's what's making him believe he can win it all just slinging it around when he can't, still i'm sure this will be discussed this offseason to no end. I assume Brady is panicking right now, i'm sure he wants another Lombardi and he's a smart guy and knows what he's been doing isn't working, that's why they adjusted it slightly this year, you'll find a man under pressure will do whatever he's told to make it better so in this way I hope a change is coming.

By Trailblazer I just meant he's a QB with many firsts and records, 50 TDs, 17 playoff wins etc. and finally my favourite stat of his, the only QB in the superbowl era to have 100 more career wins than losses   

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

The D over-achieved last postseason and wasn't at full health without Jones and Talib this past postseason. I would have liked to have seen Jones and Talib in that game before proclaiming "the D isn't at a championship level".

We saw the team play well down the stretch, mostly on D, while the offense struggled mightily against Jax and Miami.

Can you at least admit that the finesse offense is a failure and needs one more tweak to put it over the top?

Absolutely man (I did write I hope the change is coming), although i'm not even sure it's a change in the offense that needs to occur the pieces are all there and the philosophy even seems to be there now what they don't seem to have is the patience to stick with the philosophy when their backs are against the wall. There seems to be a certain level of panic there and I don't understand exactly where it's coming from but it needs to be addressed.

And yeah I also agree with you that the D would have been better with Talib and Jones but in saying this, how on earth did BB let it get to the point where his defense hinges on a CB he traded for mid season and a rookie DE, there's a distinct lack of quality depth there that worries me and for this reason I don't think it's a championship level D yet but it nearly is, hope you can appreciate these points

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

This team need little adjustiments to be a champion team, maybe 3 or 4 players... we are no that far to win another Lombardi.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

The D over-achieved last postseason and wasn't at full health without Jones and Talib this past postseason. I would have liked to have seen Jones and Talib in that game before proclaiming "the D isn't at a championship level".

We saw the team play well down the stretch, mostly on D, while the offense struggled mightily against Jax and Miami.

Can you at least admit that the finesse offense is a failure and needs one more tweak to put it over the top?

Absolutely man (I did write I hope the change is coming), although i'm not even sure it's a change in the offense that needs to occur the pieces are all there and the philosophy even seems to be there now what they don't seem to have is the patience to stick with the philosophy when their backs are against the wall. There seems to be a certain level of panic there and I don't understand exactly where it's coming from but it needs to be addressed.

And yeah I also agree with you that the D would have been better with Talib and Jones but in saying this, how on earth did BB let it get to the point where his defense hinges on a CB he traded for mid season and a rookie DE, there's a distinct lack of quality depth there that worries me and for this reason I don't think it's a championship level D yet but it nearly is, hope you can appreciate these points

You speak of it as it's a problem.  They're a freak hammy and a freak sprained ankle away from their second SB appearance in 2 years with the youngest D in the NFL.

If he had spent 10-15 mil for a lead CB, the D would be WORSE.

You just saw what would happen if a top rated CB goes down or maybe doesn't play well in a big game.   Why put 12+ million into it?

It's about the pass rush and it's actually improved each of the last 2 years.   Strengthen it with one more piece (which they will), but that still doesn't address Brady's poor play and the failed finesse offense, obsessing over mid field targets.

You really are impossible man, it's a 53 man team if you take out long snapper, punter and kicker that leaves 50 and say that's roughly 25 on each side of ball. 11 men take the field that means 14 players who don't and in those 14 players the team couldn't  get one to reach anywhere near the level of play Jones or Talib...that's a big problem. If and buts man ifs and buts that's like saying if Brady and the offense didn't play terribly we would have went to the superbowl for the 2nd time in 2 years. 

I don't know why you have to be like this, the team in general dropped an egg at the AFCC they all played pretty badly as far as I could see. Mankins smashed the Texans line around in the divisional and played terrible in the AFCC, where was Wilfork, where was Mc Courty, where was Brady, where was Welker. Where was the fight and the edge? It was just a terrible performance from everyone I think that's what it comes down to, Occam's razor...sometimes it truely is as simple as being out done by the other team 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Elway won it twice over the age of 35, but then again he had a solid veteran defense that played like champs. You would never of seen the linebackers on that group running around clueless in coverage or blowing tackles at the goal line in big games...you can't win that way. If Elway's defense played like that, we'd be talking about his big teeth rather him winning Super Bowls. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No....Go and Get Alex Smith, he's great.

Sections
Shortcuts