Can Anyone Answer This Hernandez Question?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Can Anyone Answer This Hernandez Question?

If I understand correctly, Hernandez has a $37M contract signed last August with a signing bonus of $12.5M spread over time.

Assuming that the Pats attorneys crafted a bullet proof (no pun intended) contract, that allowed them to recover the maximum money back... because of his arrest (and assuming incarceration in this scenario), and assuming the Players Union failed to minimize that amount...

What would be the LEAST AMOUNT of $ that AHern could keep/collect (net) from the original contract amount ?

and what is the maximum amount of Cap space that would provide us?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Can Anyone Answer This Hernandez Question?

I have heard and read today multiple reports that Hernandez will probably be able to keep the $9+ million bonus money he has received.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Well from the Patriots cap perspective they could potentially get it all back.  From the perspective of Kraft's actual money in Hernandez's pocket it is a bit more unclear.  I imagine getting the actual money already paid to him would be difficult although not impossible.  I really only care about the cap space though.  Hernandez's money won't mean squat if he spends the rest of his life in prison.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Well from the Patriots cap perspective they could potentially get it all back.  From the perspective of Kraft's actual money in Hernandez's pocket it is a bit more unclear.  I imagine getting the actual money already paid to him would be difficult although not impossible.  I really only care about the cap space though.  Hernandez's money won't mean squat if he spends the rest of his life in prison.

Agree.  It is most important to the Patriots that his salary doesn't influence the Patriots ability to sign other players.   Still very upsetting as a Patriots fan to see this happen.  Of course football players over the years have been involved in more problems than other professional athletes.  Although, most didn't involve murder. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

I have heard and read today multiple reports that Hernandez will probably be able to keep the $9+ million bonus money he has received.

------------------------------

that will buy alot of cigarettes!

He probably would not have much left after paying his legal fees and damages from the likely civil suit from the Lloyd's family.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

put it this way, even if the Patriots sued for any monies that were "guaranteed", it will be gone by the time the lawyers get thru w/ it.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

Hmmm.  Just read on sporting news that the Pats could get as much as $10M of his $12.5 signing bonus back.  And I believe he gets $120,000 per game, the remaining of which is lost, and other performance incentives clearly down the drain.  

Yes I clearly understand the cost of his defense will consume his savings/earnings.  that is a different issue than I was asking. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TebowOwnsBrady. Show TebowOwnsBrady's posts

Hernandez has already received a $9.25 million of a $12.5 signing bonus.

There is language in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that allows teams to nullify contracts and recoup bonus money in the case of incarceration or other off-field transgressions, but Hernandez never missed any football-related activities before he was released.

Had the Patriots' primary concern been about money, it would have made more sense to allow him to remain on the roster while the legal proceedings play out. Had Hernandez been under contract and unable to play because he was in jail or suspended by the league, the Patriots may have been able to save up to $37 million.

"Whatever chance of recouping previously paid bonus may have died when they released him," said Andrew Brandt, a former agent and personnel executive for the Green Bay Packers, who now works as a business analyst for the NFL.

But now the Patriots will likely have to accept a major salary cap hit. On March 17, $1.137 million of Hernandez's $1.2M salary became guaranteed. He will now count just over $5 million for the Patriots' 2013 salary cap.

Hernandez will count $7.5 million against the salary cap in 2014 as the three remaining $2.5M prorated cap charges from his signing bonus are consolidated instead of being spread over the 2014-16 seasons.

The Patriots could try to withhold money owed to Hernandez — like weekly payments owed during the season, or the $3.25 million due next March as part of his deferred signing bonus — and force Hernandez, his agents, lawyers and potentially the NFL Players Association to file a grievance to collect it.