Can anyone explain to me why Brady does not get more MVP love?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Can anyone explain to me why Brady does not get more MVP love?

#1 Defense Adjusted Value Over Average (per Football Outsiders)

#1 Defense Adjusted Yards Above Replacement (per Football Outsiders)

More yards than Manning or Rodgers

Fewer interceptions than Manning, same number as Rodgers

Better Record against playoff teams than Manning or Rodgers

Offense is #1 in points and yards

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Can anyone explain to me why Brady does not get more MVP love?

Where I live radio personalities refer to New England as the "Evil Empire."

You would think beign knocked off twice under pretty bizarre circumstances might give the Patriots some humanity beyond the Connecticut River . . . 

But it doesn't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

The only person on the Patsie team that deserves the MVP is the cameraman. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Because MVP awards in every sport are not based on "advanced" statistics.  If they were Trout would have won MVP over Mig Cab this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

What is "advanced" about leading the highest scoring offense in football (by a wide margin), or throwing fewer interceptions, or more yards, or having a better a record against playoff teams?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to CornHole12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only person on the Patsie team that deserves the MVP is the cameraman. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow!! That was brilliant!!  Did you come up with that all by yourself?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He has a great running game and the final two games against the Jaguars and Dolphins leave a lot to be desired. 

Had he beaten the 49ers, he might get more love, but Peterson still deserves it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

If Brady played for either media darling teams of "Americas Team" Cowboys, or "AmericasPACK" Green Bay, Brady would win it every year. Face it Romo is a JOKE with a 1-7 record in elimination games and look at all the media hype he still gets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is "advanced" about leading the highest scoring offense in football (by a wide margin), or throwing fewer interceptions, or more yards, or having a better a record against playoff teams?

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but I was referring more to your first two points.  Look I think a pretty good case could be made for Brady.  He's accounted for 38 TDs (34 passing and 4 rushing) and only accounted for 8 turnovers whereas Manning is at 37/13 and Rodgers is at 41/12, he led the league in passing yards and the Patriots offense was the best in the league in basically every metric.  In fact had they beaten SF I think he would be the favorite (the way he ran the offense when we were down 31-3 is probably some of the best quarterbacking I have ever seen), but these awards are all subjective anyways.  As long as we bring home another Lombardi this year who cares.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If Tom didn't throw 4 picks late in the year he would be a likely MVP. But as it stands - he, Rodgers, Ryan and Fetus Head all have had comparable years. With that fairly equal assortment to choose from I think it's clear they have to choose Peterson for the selection to be legit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Despite throwing 2 picks against SF, Brady had an unbelieveable 2nd half. He was the only guy out there that played the whole game. If the Pats can run the table and win the next three games, TB should be considered a true MVP candidate. Tough to match though, what Peterson and Gomer have done after coming off injury-plagued seasons.

Screw the MVP awards. I just want another Pats SB victory. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Despite throwing 2 picks against SF, Brady had an unbelieveable 2nd half. He was the only guy out there that played the whole game. If the Pats can run the table and win the next three games, TB should be considered a true MVP candidate. Tough to match though, what Peterson and Gomer have done after coming off injury-plagued seasons.

Screw the MVP awards. I just want another Pats SB victory. 

[/QUOTE]

That's the mentality of all things NE, including Tom Brady and the Patriots.  The same cannot be said for Gomer lovers and Indy fans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Of course MVP doesn't matter, winning the Super Bowl is all that matters.  I just think Brady's MVP performance should be acknowledged at least here at boston.com!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

I love it when you Patsie fans get all butthurt because nobody is even mentioning poor Brady in the same conversation as Manning for the MVP award. 

Maybe Spygate has something to do with it or maybe everyone is just sick of seeing Brady cry after each SB loss. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What possibly is hurting Brady more than anything when it comes to his winning more MVP awards is a combination of stats and the team on which he plays.

#1 - Stats - he simply does not garner the type of stats that impress the voters like we see with Brees, Rodgers or Manning.  Especially in the area of QB rating..  in which he is rarely near the top.  What he does not get credit for enough is how well he protects the ball compared to the others.  Year in and year out he is amazingly consistent and the Pats keep winning.  (Cornhole hates that!)

#2 - Playing on the Pats - There is the obvious, he plays for the "Evil Empire" and BB is his coach.  Also, what happened in 2008 hurt as the Pats went 11 - 5 without him.  Many have said if you take Manning, Rodgers or Brees off their teams, they would significantly look worse.  Can't say that for the Pats so far as we do not know.  Also, The Pats are leading so often late in games, he does not have to perform come from behind magic as often as Manning, which garners kudos for him.

All in all, he is our MVP and that counts the most.  Screw the rest of them, right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Honestly he's in the conversation with Rodgers, Manning, and AP. If he didn't have two games in a row with bad ints I'd think he'd run away with it but those last couple games (fair or not) kind of skew the numbers. Honestly I think AP deserves it because without him Minn wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs. At least with GB, NE, and Den without their guys they would have been close. Past that Manning put up good numbers but a 4 int game is a bit much to overcome. Rodgers, though with better int numbers just doesn't have enough to be ahead of Brady.

If I had to put them in order it would go AP #1, Brady #2, Manning #3, Rodgers #4, Watt/Smith #5

But, Brady doesn't get more press because the Pats are evil, Manning loves liking Oreo's, and Rodgers is annoyed by the little kid.

Actually I think the person who should get more attention is AP. I'm surprised he doesn't get more attention honestly

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

brady, manning and rodgers have al had excellent years, but it would be a crime if anyone not named ADRIAN PETERSON wins it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

PatsEng.. you made one good point about Brady versus Manning or Rodgers.  He is not putting his face out their in the public with many, many commercials like you are seeing now with the other two.  The Pats aren't media darlings and that hurts him.  Even though he is in the conversation, that is just it, he is only in the conversation and in the end the results, most times, go elsewhere.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

brady, manning and rodgers have al had excellent years, but it would be a crime if anyone not named ADRIAN PETERSON wins it.

[/QUOTE] AP by far.  If Manning gets it, that would be a crime as his winning is simply proof the media fawns over the royal Manning family and their commercial exploits!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I am pretty sure during the Saturday night game when Collinsworth was gushing over Rodgers, they showed the QBs with the top 3 career QB ratings in NFL history and Brady was one of them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I assume that this thread was opened to mock mine. First, Brady did have an MVP caliber season, I just do not think his was the best. Leading the number 1 offense is an important, but I don't see how that should win him the MVP. I think a large part of that has to do with the fact that he has better offensive personnel around him.

Yes, Brady has a better record against playoff teams and that's certainly one way to look at things.

Against common opponents with Rodgers (SEA, SF, ARZ, IND, and HOU) they share an identical record. Both are 2-3. Rodgers lost to IND on the road while Brady lost to the Cardinals at home. As for the SEA game, I believe the call was an INT and that it should have been a win for GB, not a loss. As for the game itself, Brady played better than Rodgers. But if you watched the game, you would see that the Dline of SEA was dominating in a way that probably no QB would have that much success.

As for Rodgers one loss against a non-playoff team, it was the Giants, a team the Pats have lost 3 straight to.

Taking out your homerism, if you believe Brady was the MVP, then that's fine with me. The MVP award has no specific criteria so it's a largely opinion based award. My opinion is that Rodgers is the MVPQB and Peterson is the MVP.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I am pretty sure during the Saturday night game when Collinsworth was gushing over Rodgers, they showed the QBs with the top 3 career QB ratings in NFL history and Brady was one of them.

[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with this year? I'm pretty sure the MVP is only 1 year at a time not MVP over their career?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Rodgers has the best receivers in the game.  Even his backup put up huge numbers with them last year.  Brady all the way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I assume that this thread was opened to mock mine. First, Brady did have an MVP caliber season, I just do not think his was the best. Leading the number 1 offense is an important, but I don't see how that should win him the MVP. I think a large part of that has to do with the fact that he has better offensive personnel around him.

Yes, Brady has a better record against playoff teams and that's certainly one way to look at things.

Against common opponents with Rodgers (SEA, SF, ARZ, IND, and HOU) they share an identical record. Both are 2-3. Rodgers lost to IND on the road while Brady lost to the Cardinals at home. As for the SEA game, I believe the call was an INT and that it should have been a win for GB, not a loss. As for the game itself, Brady played better than Rodgers. But if you watched the game, you would see that the Dline of SEA was dominating in a way that probably no QB would have that much success.

As for Rodgers one loss against a non-playoff team, it was the Giants, a team the Pats have lost 3 straight to.

Taking out your homerism, if you believe Brady was the MVP, then that's fine with me. The MVP award has no specific criteria so it's a largely opinion based award. My opinion is that Rodgers is the MVPQB and Peterson is the MVP.

[/QUOTE]

Who cares if the Pats lost to the Giants 3 times in a row, what does that have to do with this year? It has absolutely nothing to do with it. I would say Brady's weapons are compariable to Rodgers and though I give the Pats OL and edge Brady also makes them look better because he has a much quicker release then Rodgers does (who tends to hold it longer then he should). All in all both had very impressive seasons and it might solely be that most of us see Brady more often then Rodgers but the games I watched Rodgers he didn't command the game, the line, or even command the opponents D's like Brady does. To me that game at the line when you adjust your plays is what seperates Brady from Rodgers this year and Brady was masterful this year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with this year? I'm pretty sure the MVP is only 1 year at a time not MVP over their career?

[/QUOTE]

It's also an inflated stat. Getting a 100.0 passer rating now is now the same as it was 20 or even 10 years ago.

When it is all said and done, Rodgers will probably be the all time leader in TD:INT ratio and career passer rating.

He's a great QB, don't get me wrong, he just plays in an easier passing era. And by being on the bench for his first three seasons, that probably saved him from having a sub par seasons that would have hurt his career efficiency numbers

Sections
Shortcuts