Can anyone explain to me why Rodgers does not get more MVP love?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

Re: Can anyone explain to me why Rodgers does not get more MVP love?

People are getting Best Offensive Player, and Most Valuable Player confused during all these discussions I've been hearing all week long. 
    Peyton Manning is the MVP
    Adrian Peterson is the Offensive Player of the Year. 

Why? Because Peyton literally transformed an entire team. The reason our defense is a top 5 defense has some to do with Jack Del Rio, but a lot to do with Peyton giving our team a lead and forcing teams to play catch up. Hence getting Von and Dumervil more sack opportunities, all ours CB's more INT opportunities. Knowshon Moreno is playing better now because teams have to account more for Manning in the pass. 
    Not to mention it's like having an offensive coordinator on the field at QB the entire time.

AP has been phenomenal, but he doesn't make the whole team better like Peyton Manning does.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

1. Peyton couldn't even throw a ball a little less than a year ago. He was playing catch with his wife because he was so embarrassed of where he was physically.

2. The man is 36 years old, most of the doctors doubted the nerves in his arm would regenerate. As you get older some of you are aware your recovery time is double what it used to be with recovery from a workout, let alone an injury.

3. He is playing on a new team, in a new system, with new coaches, new players, all new variables, doctors, surroundings, and things that he needed to adjust to.

4. He led this new team to a 13-3 record, the number one seed, a first round playoff bye, and turned them into the hottest team, which is the favorite to win the SB! 

5. He didn't just get this team to the playoffs, the day he signed he made them a SB favorite.

6. He also makes everyone around him better, holding coaches and players accountable for bettering themselves. Players study and work harder and want to be better and have to live to his standard. Coaches have to work harder to keep up with the greatest football mind to ever get behind center.

7. He makes the defense better by allowing them to pin their ears back and utilize the strengths of what they do, pass rush! 

8. Practicing against him makes the defense enhance the level of practice and perpetration getting the best out of players and in turn coaching defensive players on how to handle each situation.

9. He revives the careers of retired players, benched players, and under performing players.

10. He is responsible for 24 players on the Broncos having their best statistical seasons of their careers.

11. He makes everyone believe in themselves and in him, that they can go out and win any game, no matter the score.

We aren't even at stats yet, and I haven't even talked about Peterson, would you like me to continue?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

You are focusing way too much on his rushing yardage alone. He had 2097 yards rushing, 217 yards receiving, and 13 total TDs. Terrell Davis had 2008 yards rushing, 217 yards receiving and and 23 total TDs. LaDanian Tomlinson had 1815 yards rushing, 508 yards receiving and 31 total TDs. Peterson's season doesn't really compare unless you think yards are more important than points.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Because he's not named Manning.  Manning has not had the best passer rating since 2006 when he was playing with possibly the most gifted offense in NFL history loaded with first rounders at every position and two HOF WR's.  He's the only QB to win MVP without the best passer rating the last 20 years besides Favre and he's done it now 3 times of his 4.

Since then Brady's led twice, and Rodgers twice but the average uninformed fan just believes what the media tells them, and they believe Manning has been the leading QB for the last 6 years despite all evidence.  Doesn't help that the Boston media lives to tear down its own team.

So that's it, the average fan believes Manning has been leading the NFL in every passing category with no defense for 12 years despite the fact that he's had the #1 and 2 defense and hasn't led much of anything in years.  But, no reason the facts should get in the way of a good story.

i can assure you that if the situations were reversed and Manning did what Rodgers did and vice versa then Manning would still get the award.

Shen - you act as if Passer rating is the ONLY thing that matters.  In 03 Manning was #2 in passer rating short of McNair by 1.4 pts.  He was #1 in completion percentage; #1 in yds; #2 in TD's.  And he had a statistically worse defense. 

04 - I guess you hae no questions.

08 - I might agree, but I am not sure who else you would have given it to. 

09 - Manning led his team to an undefeated record with a rookie HC, rookie 4th and 6th rd WR's, engineered many comebacks, etc. 

There's just no more valueable player in the NFL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to CornHole12's comment:

You are focusing way too much on his rushing yardage alone. He had 2097 yards rushing, 217 yards receiving, and 13 total TDs. Terrell Davis had 2008 yards rushing, 217 yards receiving and and 23 total TDs. LaDanian Tomlinson had 1815 yards rushing, 508 yards receiving and 31 total TDs. Peterson's season doesn't really compare unless you think yards are more important than points.

Ohhhh I totally forgot Terrell Davis and LT were still in the league.  Nevermind, go ahead and give Davis and LT Co-MVP awards.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

I think folks are getting far too fixated on 2000 yard rushers. There have now been 7.

1973 O.J. Simpson
    1984 Eric Dickerson
    1997 Barry Sanders
    1998 Terrell Davis
    2003 Jamal Lewis
    2009 Chris Johnson
    2012 Adrian Petersen

Notice something: There was 11 years between the first two and then 13 years between the next two. Since 1997, however, there have been 5 (one 33.33..% of the time).

So it's an impressive feat, but it is far less rare than it had been. The reason is simple: There is no easier time in NFL history than today for a running back to put up big yards. Teams are built to put pressure on quarterbacks and defend receivers and (more recently) tight-ends in pass-first offenses.

Dickersons record is going to fall and it's going to happen soon. QB-poor offenses like the Vikings and Chiefs are instead turning to running backs to fill the gap in their offense. They rack up huge yards because teams simply don't have those big interior tackles and edge-setting ends anymore. It's the era of disruptive tackles and feather-weight speed rushers around the edge. It's going to be much easier to put up yards.

AP's achievement is being viewed against Dickerson, but it shouldn't be. Dickerson did it during a time in the NFL in which every team ran the ball and defenses were built to stop it. That he put up those yard is mind-boggling. 

AP's year is impressive, but hardly automatically makes you an MVP.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

Shaun Alexander's 2005 season was better then AP's season this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Brady is the most valuable player in the league and has been for a long time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

For those that considered the AFC South weak, did you know that since the creation of 4 divisions, the AFC South has sent more teams to the playoffs than all divisions but the North. 

Some may complain about the year Brady was hurt - if so, we take out that year and Manning's year.  Then the AFC South has sent more teams to the playoffs than any division in the AFC. 

Not such a weak division. 

How many SB winners in that time?    You would think with the multitude of PO teams, they would win more than once.

How many one and dones from that division?  lol

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I think folks are getting far too fixated on 2000 yard rushers. There have now been 7.

1973 O.J. Simpson
    1984 Eric Dickerson
    1997 Barry Sanders
    1998 Terrell Davis
    2003 Jamal Lewis
    2009 Chris Johnson
    2012 Adrian Petersen

Notice something: There was 11 years between the first two and then 13 years between the next two. Since 1997, however, there have been 5 (one 33.33..% of the time).

So it's an impressive feat, but it is far less rare than it had been. The reason is simple: There is no easier time in NFL history than today for a running back to put up big yards. Teams are built to put pressure on quarterbacks and defend receivers and (more recently) tight-ends in pass-first offenses.

Dickersons record is going to fall and it's going to happen soon. QB-poor offenses like the Vikings and Chiefs are instead turning to running backs to fill the gap in their offense. They rack up huge yards because teams simply don't have those big interior tackles and edge-setting ends anymore. It's the era of disruptive tackles and feather-weight speed rushers around the edge. It's going to be much easier to put up yards.

AP's achievement is being viewed against Dickerson, but it shouldn't be. Dickerson did it during a time in the NFL in which every team ran the ball and defenses were built to stop it. That he put up those yard is mind-boggling. 

You are dumber than I originally thought.  Did you just say it's easier to rush in today's league? Oh my good God.  You do realize that over the past 5 years, every passing statistic has been broken and even mediocre quarterbacks are putting up 4500+ yards with 30 TDs every season, right?

So if AP hasn't done anything 'historical', what 'historical feat' has Peyton accomplished for him to deserve MVP?  You are so short-sighted.

Yes it is easier to run because most D's are built to stop the pass and play to stop the pass, which opens up holes for the running game.  It's not a coincidence that there were 6 RB's that had over 1400 yards this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

1973 O.J. Simpson
    1984 Eric Dickerson
    1997 Barry Sanders
    1998 Terrell Davis
    2003 Jamal Lewis
    2009 Chris Johnson
    2012 Adrian Petersen

You are dumber than I originally thought.  Did you just say it's easier to rush in today's league? Oh my good God.  You do realize that over the past 5 years, every passing statistic has been broken and even mediocre quarterbacks are putting up 4500+ yards with 30 TDs every season, right?

So if AP hasn't done anything 'historical', what 'historical feat' has Peyton accomplished for him to deserve MVP?  You are so short-sighted.

Yes it is easier to run because most D's are built to stop the pass and play to stop the pass, which opens up holes for the running game.  It's not a coincidence that there were 6 RB's that had over 1400 yards this year.

It's also not a coincidence that 12 QBs threw for 4,000+ yards this year and 3 QBs threw for 5,000 yards last year (both records).  It's a passing league which drives passing stats.  If you're eclipsing 1600+ as a RB in today's game, that's a tremendous feat.  Back in the 70s, 80s, hell, even 90s, it was a running league.  This decade is clearly centered around the pass so I'd say that running for historical stats in today's game is much more impressive than throwing for historical stats.

This year 6 RB ecliped the 1400 yard mark, it was 1 last year, 2 in 2010, 3 in 2009, 4 in 2008, and the trend continues. 

The rules that have been put in place over the past 8 years are a direct correlation to QBs eclipsing every passing record and their respective teams breaking several scoring records.  That is not a mirage; that is fact.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Because he's not named Manning.  Manning has not had the best passer rating since 2006 when he was playing with possibly the most gifted offense in NFL history loaded with first rounders at every position and two HOF WR's.  He's the only QB to win MVP without the best passer rating the last 20 years besides Favre and he's done it now 3 times of his 4.

Since then Brady's led twice, and Rodgers twice but the average uninformed fan just believes what the media tells them, and they believe Manning has been the leading QB for the last 6 years despite all evidence.  Doesn't help that the Boston media lives to tear down its own team.

So that's it, the average fan believes Manning has been leading the NFL in every passing category with no defense for 12 years despite the fact that he's had the #1 and 2 defense and hasn't led much of anything in years.  But, no reason the facts should get in the way of a good story.

i can assure you that if the situations were reversed and Manning did what Rodgers did and vice versa then Manning would still get the award.

Shen - you act as if Passer rating is the ONLY thing that matters.  In 03 Manning was #2 in passer rating short of McNair by 1.4 pts.  He was #1 in completion percentage; #1 in yds; #2 in TD's.  And he had a statistically worse defense. 

09 - Manning led his team to an undefeated record with a rookie HC, rookie 4th and 6th rd WR's, engineered many comebacks, etc. 

2003 - Steve McNair was the MVP in 2003, the Titans without him would have been little to nothing. 

2008 - The MVP was Philip Rivers, the gifted it to Peyton because he won the final eight games of the season and because the Colts. Philip Rivers was the MVP and he had the best statistical season of the year at any position. And, he got his team into the playoffs, not to mention he KNOCKED OUT Peyton Manning. 

2009 - Drew Brees deserved the MVP, Drew Brees was the best QB in the NFL and he led one of the best offenses in the NFL. Once again, Drew knocked Peyton out in the playoffs. Mind you, Garcon already proved that he is a number 1 WR in Washington and Austin Collie was the NCAA receiving leader the year he got drafted in 2008. 

Peyton Manning is just given the MVP just because they need to give it to someone. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

For those that considered the AFC South weak, did you know that since the creation of 4 divisions, the AFC South has sent more teams to the playoffs than all divisions but the North. 

Some may complain about the year Brady was hurt - if so, we take out that year and Manning's year.  Then the AFC South has sent more teams to the playoffs than any division in the AFC. 

How many SB winners in that time?    You would think with the multitude of PO teams, they would win more than once.

That's not the point, but I'll give you points for trying to change the subject.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

Peyton will be named the MVP AGAIN for a record 5th time. Then you can all sit in here and tell each other how much better Brady is than Manning. 

It must suck to always have a Manning destroy your dreams of Brady becoming the GOAT. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

That's not the point, but I'll give you points for trying to change the subject.  

Not changing the subject at all.  What is the ultimate goal of getting into the play-offs?

8 one and dones since 2002 ='s week division.  Who was responsible for the majority of those one & dones?  The same person who was responsible for the majority all those weak play-off performances, although plentiful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

2003 - Steve McNair was the MVP in 2003, the Titans without him would have been little to nothing. 

2008 - The MVP was Philip Rivers, the gifted it to Peyton because he won the final eight games of the season and because the Colts. Philip Rivers was the MVP and he had the best statistical season of the year at any position. And, he got his team into the playoffs, not to mention he KNOCKED OUT Peyton Manning. 

2009 - Drew Brees deserved the MVP, Drew Brees was the best QB in the NFL and he led one of the best offenses in the NFL. Once again, Drew knocked Peyton out in the playoffs. Mind you, Garcon already proved that he is a number 1 WR in Washington and Austin Collie was the NCAA receiving leader the year he got drafted in 2008. 

Peyton Manning is just given the MVP just because they need to give it to someone. 

in 2008, Philip Rivers SD Chargers were 8-8.  Not going to get MVP with that kind of record.

in 2009 Brees probably would have won it if he hadn't been the first to lose a game.  As it regards Garcon and Collie, what they are today is meaningless.  At the time they were 4th and 6th round rookies with no guarantees for success. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Not changing the subject at all.  What is the ultimate goal of getting into the play-offs?

8 one and dones since 2002 ='s week division.  Who was responsible for the majority of those one & dones?  The same person who was responsible for the majority all those weak play-off performances, although plentiful.

Again that's not the point.  Someone suggested that the AFC South was a weak division and part of the reason for Manning's success.  If, in the years Manning played more teams from his division went to the playoffs than any other division then that turn the weak division argument on its head. 

How do one & done's = a weak division? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CornHole12. Show CornHole12's posts

Facts will only confuse our little Patsie friends. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

in 2008, Philip Rivers SD Chargers were 8-8.  Not going to get MVP with that kind of record.

in 2009 Brees probably would have won it if he hadn't been the first to lose a game.  As it regards Garcon and Collie, what they are today is meaningless.  At the time they were 4th and 6th round rookies with no guarantees for success. 

2008 - 8-8, but still made the playoffs. That's all that should matter. Even then, Adrian Peterson should've won it. He had a fantastic season with Tavaris Jackson as his QB and they went 10-6. 

2009 - Drew had a tougher schedule with tougher defenses to match-up against. Also, don't act like Peyton only had a fourth rounder and a 7th rounder to play with when he had three first rounders in Addai, Clark and Wayne also. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

1973 O.J. Simpson
    1984 Eric Dickerson
    1997 Barry Sanders
    1998 Terrell Davis
    2003 Jamal Lewis
    2009 Chris Johnson
    2012 Adrian Petersen

It's also not a coincidence that 12 QBs threw for 4,000+ yards this year and 3 QBs threw for 5,000 yards last year (both records).  It's a passing league which drives passing stats.  If you're eclipsing 1600+ as a RB in today's game, that's a tremendous feat.  Back in the 70s, 80s, hell, even 90s, it was a running league.  This decade is clearly centered around the pass so I'd say that running for historical stats in today's game is much more impressive than throwing for historical stats.

This year 6 RB ecliped the 1400 yard mark, it was 1 last year, 2 in 2010, 3 in 2009, 4 in 2008, and the trend continues. 

The rules that have been put in place over the past 8 years are a direct correlation to QBs eclipsing every passing record and their respective teams breaking several scoring records.  That is not a mirage; that is fact.

So, you don't think it's possible (probable) that Offenses are now taking advantage of what the D is giving them?   18 of 32 teams have increased runs per game this year as opposed to their past 3 year average,  You don't think the Pat's O isn't taking advantage of this?  I'm pretty sure TB said as much.  Seattle, Pats and houston are the top 3 teams who have increased runs per game.  2 out of those 3 leaders have done it with the same rb.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

But this year Manning truly transformed a team. 

Yes . . .

He took a team that won the AFC West with my little sister at quarterback and . . .

won the AFC West.

That's pretty good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

1973 O.J. Simpson
    1984 Eric Dickerson
    1997 Barry Sanders
    1998 Terrell Davis
    2003 Jamal Lewis
    2009 Chris Johnson
    2012 Adrian Petersen

So, you don't think it's possible (probable) that Offenses are now taking advantage of what the D is giving them?   18 of 32 teams have increased runs per game this year as opposed to their past 3 year average,  You don't think the Pat's O isn't taking advantage of this?  I'm pretty sure TB said as much.  Seattle, Pats and houston are the top 3 teams who have increased runs per game.  2 out of those 3 leaders have done it with the same rb.

Oh, I completely agree.  The fact that it has evolved into such a passing league has made defenses center in on the pass, which has made offenses evolve into more of a balanced attack.  It's give and take. I'm pretty sure we're actually in somewhat of an agreement.  However, I wouldn't say it's "easier" to run in this league just because teams are installing more of a run game to get back to more of a balanced approach.  I don't think that's any reason to degrade a historic year for a RB. 

My main point was, the fact that AP was still running for 150-250 yards a game when teams were stacking 8 and 9 guys in the box, speaks volumes.  He single-handedly carried that team into the playoffs with absolutely ZERO offensive help.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Cornhole, I hear what you're saying about Manning transforming the Bronco's and no doubt he has made them a much better team, but your comparison from last season to this season needs a bit more context.

Bronco's went 8-8 last season starting a QB who is now a backup, and another one who is a third stringer. Manning's play definitely took this team to a new level, but you can argue the quality of last years QB pulled them down For example, Andrew Luck to the Colts essentially led to a +9 win differential. Just by that, then Luck should be MVP. However, you can argue Curtis Painter and whoever else they ran out there was a below average QB and thus hurt the team more than helped.

If the Bronco's had an average QB, like Joe Flacco, they could have probably won 11-12 games last season. The Bronco's won despite Tebow last season. Say what you want about his miracle comebacks, but with the way that defense was playing, a QB who could throw for over 60% of would have put those games away in the third quarter.

Manning makes the Bronco's a better team, but the 5 win improvement had just as much to do as the poor play of Tebow as it did with the great play of Manning. The reason the Bronco's got Manning was so they could take the next step and beat the upper echelon teams. Outside of those Bengals, Manning did not deliver on that during the regular season.

And about your point about players having their best statistical seasons. The first three that come to mind are Decker, Thomas and Miller. The first two were trying to receive catches from a sub 50% passer. But more importantly, they are all young players. Don't you think the statistical increases has more to do with their personal progression, regardless of who the players are. Last season was Millers rookie season! And it was a lockout shortened offseason at that!

About Peterson. I've been saying that 2,000 yards alone should not guarantee him the MVP. It didn't for Chris Johnson. However, those yards were meaningful and contributed to the teams wins. Megatron for example, nearly reached 2,000 receiving yards and broke Rice's yards record, but he's not getting any MVP votes because people know a lot of those yards came in time where the game was all but over. After Percy Harvin went down, what legitimate weapons did the Vikings have? The Vikings beat more playoff teams than the Bronco's and it was largely because of Peterson.

QB will always be the most important position. However, there are 2, maybe 3 other QBs who could have/did what Manning did this season. Don't think there are any other rbs who could carry the team the way Peterson did

Sections
Shortcuts