Can anyone really make a case for Arrington taking a roster spot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Re: Can anyone really make a case for Arrington taking a roster spot?

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Watch last week's game.  He did a great job limiting Welker.  That's why he is here.  I agree that he is terrible when playing on the perimeter, but injuries force him out there occasionally.  I'll take him in the slot, though.  Yeah, he's probably overpaid.  I won't argue that, but if he stays in the slot he does help our defense.

Welker caught 4 of 8 passes thrown to him and had 2 drops. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well I think if you ask Arrington to cover a blind receiver in the slot (with no legs) he'd more than hold his own, but do you really have to pay a guy what we paid him to do that? I mean BB could of found a guy for 2 million to do that..it's all about team building. 

Funny little tid bit...Steve Deossie was just on the radio admitting that the player acquisitions for this team have been BAD and that it proves just how great a coach Belichick is to have the success he's had with the talent he's brought in. For the first time in my life I agree with Steve (the drunk) Deossie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well I think if you ask Arrington to cover a blind receiver in the slot (with no legs) he'd more than hold his own, but do you really have to pay a guy what we paid him to do that? I mean BB could of found a guy for 2 million to do that..it's all about team building. 

Funny little tid bit...Steve Deossie was just on the radio admitting that the player acquisitions for this team have been BAD and that it proves just how great a coach Belichick is to have the success he's had with the talent he's brought in. For the first time in my life I agree with Steve (the drunk) Deossie.

[/QUOTE]

I think he's a pretty good slot cb but you're correct in that his salary doesn't jibe with his position and overall contribution.

So far, neither has Amendola.  I was a big supporter on getting him but he hasn't lived up to what I envisioned him doing at all.  I've seen glimpses but didn't expect him to completely disappear in games like he has.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbear3915's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Arrington seems to have more memorable 'damaging' plays (think Super Bowl) than 'good' ones ... but not sure if we are better off without him, given injuries / experience in rest of the defensive backfield. He is clearly overpaid but the Patriots have a track record of spending cheap or spending poorly every so often.

[/QUOTE]

Super bowl? He shut down cruz and was brilliant!  Do you idiots even watch the games you reference.  Major fail.

[/QUOTE]

You are right - Arrington did have a good game in SB 46 ... I was trying to make a point about our defense giving up big plays - but shouldn't have added the comment on the Super Bowl in my post about Arrington.

However - that doesn't make me or any other person an 'idiot' - more civil comments would be appreciated in the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

[QUOTE]

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2014

I've never thought Arrington was more than an average slot corner and below average on the outside. If you watch him in game action in the slot, he gets beat quite often in the slot on the receiver's first move and is left trailing him across the short middle of the field. What helps him is that the short middle of the field is often cluttered with LBs or even a safety on occassion.

Completely agree with his overpaid salary and this keeps NE from improving their roster in other places. If they were paying him 1.5 to 2 million a year I would have less of an issue with his average skills.

Kansas Patriot: I don't think there's any way they can cut him. If he's on the roster next year the Pats need to pay him $3.6 million. If he's cut before the 2014 season, Pats are on the hook for about $4.9 million in dead money for 2014.

Like it or not, he'll more than likely be a fixture on the 2014 roster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know there are a few apologists out there but come on.  The guy absolutely sucks And don't give me this nickel chit either.  The guy has blown 2 games this year and tried his best to blow today's.  What a mistake giving this shlub a contract.  Cut him and move on.

[/QUOTE]

BB has made the case. Let it rest until he hires you!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

needs to be cut at seasons end. We have to hang on to him due to injuries

[/QUOTE]

another Coach in waiting!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I know there are a few apologists out there but come on.  The guy absolutely sucks And don't give me this nickel chit either.  The guy has blown 2 games this year and tried his best to blow today's.  What a mistake giving this shlub a contract.  Cut him and move on.

[/QUOTE]

BB has made the case. Let it rest until he hires you!

[/QUOTE]

By benching him how many times?  The only time he's on the field the opposing Offensive Coordinators finds him for huge game changing plays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Watch last week's game.  He did a great job limiting Welker.  That's why he is here.  I agree that he is terrible when playing on the perimeter, but injuries force him out there occasionally.  I'll take him in the slot, though.  Yeah, he's probably overpaid.  I won't argue that, but if he stays in the slot he does help our defense.

[/QUOTE]

Um, I think Denvers game plan was to run the ball, wouldn't you say that? They had like 280 yards rushing.  Manning didn't throw well, I think the TE  had 5 receptions, Welker and two others had 4 i believe.  I don't think it was Arrington having a good game as much as it was Denvers game plan.

[/QUOTE]

Why is it Welker apologists refuse to give the guy covering him any credit? Arrington shut Welker down last week. No ifs, or ands about it. Apologize all you want for Welker but it won't change that fact!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Arrington seems to have more memorable 'damaging' plays (think Super Bowl) than 'good' ones ... but not sure if we are better off without him, given injuries / experience in rest of the defensive backfield. He is clearly overpaid but the Patriots have a track record of spending cheap or spending poorly every so often.

[/QUOTE]

Super bowl? He shut down cruz and was brilliant!  Do you idiots even watch the games you reference.  Major fail.

[/QUOTE]

You are right - Arrington did have a good game in SB 46 ... I was trying to make a point about our defense giving up big plays - but shouldn't have added the comment on the Super Bowl in my post about Arrington.

However - that doesn't make me or any other person an 'idiot' - more civil comments would be appreciated in the future.

[/QUOTE]

You are clearly new here.You might as well ask for world peace. You probably have a better chance of getting that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

like Bolden and Thompkins, I'll stick to what I said about Arrington. They blow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

OK.  Arrington is competent covering the slot guy.  Not outstanding, but reliable.  Even useful in nickel and dime stuff.  

But, for the money he's getting?!  This is where BB overvalued him.  So, yeah, on that count it was a bad signing.

As for roster spot: find the weakest, least needed link right now and just find ANY guy over 320 lbs and 6' 2" and stick him in there to lessen the load on the guys filling in for Vince and Kelly. Really.  Even a former Div III guy looking to get out of Home Depot for 6 weeks.  The "Run Sieve" is going to haunt us. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Why is it Welker apologists refuse to give the guy covering him any credit? Arrington shut Welker down last week. No ifs, or ands about it. Apologize all you want for Welker but it won't change that fact!

Because Tamme had 5 receptions, Thomas had 4 receptions and Welker had 4 receptions, Decker had 1.  They had 150 yards passing and 280 yards rushing the ball.  Getting such a large lead so quickly early in the game clearly the game plan was to run the ball and not rely on Mannings arm in the cold weather.  I think the point has been made here several times over the past week, what do you not understand about this?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The Arrington contract is really a reflection of Arrington's value as a nickel corner and a special teams player.  I know a lot of fans think it's silly, but BB really places high value on special teams. That's why Slater has a big contract too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Arrington plays well when he is in his natural position as an inside CB.  He is being asked to play outside due to injuries.  Hightower is doing the same thing.  He is playing out of position and has looked bad doing it.  The defense is depleated due to injuries.  They started 5 rookies yesterday!  Is Arrington overpaid?  Maybe.  Is he an outside CB? No!  Once Denard is back, he will not be playing outside. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because Tamme had 5 receptions, Thomas had 4 receptions and Welker had 4 receptions, Decker had 1.  They had 150 yards passing and 280 yards rushing the ball.  Getting such a large lead so quickly early in the game clearly the game plan was to run the ball and not rely on Mannings arm in the cold weather.  I think the point has been made here several times over the past week, what do you not understand about this?

[/QUOTE]

What do you not understand that none of those receptions were due to Arrington not covering the receiver. He shut Welker down forcing the Broncos to go to the run. I think the point has been made several times by people other than me that Arrington shut Welker down. Why can't you understand they couldn't pass because of the coverage on Welker. I just think it hilarious that the guy you basically say shouldn't be in football, shut down the Peyton Manning of slot receivers. And listening to the reporters that cover the Pats on a regular basis, this wasn't the first time Arrington shut Welker down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Isn't it kind of funny that the same people who feel compelled to justify every personnel judgment BB makes are here telling us Arrington is great because he shut down Welker and on another thread are telling us that BB was smart to let Welker walk because Welker is washed up? 

I just can't keep up with the convoluted logic.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Arrington contract is really a reflection of Arrington's value as a nickel corner and a special teams player.  I know a lot of fans think it's silly, but BB really places high value on special teams. That's why Slater has a big contract too.

[/QUOTE]

The problem is he isn't that good of a STer either. I would put Slater, Ebner, T. Wilson, Collins above him right now as STers

Lets face it, BB gave a $4mil/yr contract to a guy who is a 4th CB. He's a good money CB but outside he is horrible and as a starting slot CB he is inconsistent with some great games and some games he disappears. As a STer he is maybe the 4th or 5th best STer on the team which to me says you could find a UDFA to give you similar performance in the gunner role. That contract was horrible no matter how you look at it and next year they can't even get out of it but it would cost them cap space to cut him so might as well keep him around as a 4th CB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats hard but I will take a stab. Arrington is a 2 way player. no, not like that. Im not talking about him playing for the other team. He leads a double life. He is a spy in the offseason so during games, he is only effective inside because once he goes outside he starts looking up in the stands for a sniper because he is on an island. In the middle, he feels safe enough that the guy cant get a shot at him. Arrington is literally scared to death to play outside. We should NEVER put him out there again if only for his own safety.

Logan Ryan> Arrington. Wish BB knew what he knew now cuz Arrington would be full time into espionage right now. Ask him to restructure in offseason. Tell him you were drunk when you offered the deal.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

DeOssie has been going against BB since his son ended up on the Giants in 2011.  Not really a good source.

A Giants homer now going after BB, and he's drunk.  

[/QUOTE]

Never stopped you from trying to make a point.

sorry,but you set yourself up for that one.

Sections
Shortcuts