Can Belichick build an elite defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense?

If BB waits for his prototype OLB which is a Rhodes Scholar, 6'7", 265lb, runs the 40m in 3.8sec and has been captain of everything since pre school, Tom Brady will be in a nursing home.

And we will be long gone.

Do the Steelers, Packers and Ravens LB's reach the above criteria. No.

But they are ferocious, intimidating and don't tell me offensive players aren't looking for them and worried about their lights being turned out.

Give me two of them and Pats would be playing in two weeks time.

When is BB going to wake up and stop being the softies at crunch time?......
    2007, 2009, 2010.

Opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I hope so. They are rebuilding on D. There is no excuse this year for BB not to address the pass rush. DE and OLB are what is needed. A couple of players that opposition offenses must plan for and QB's look for all game. The teams in the superbowl have a few of these each.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Spetznaz24  writes: "If they (Pats' D)were that bad in 2010, how much can they improve in 2011? A top 10 defense might be 3-4 years away, at best."

If you rate the defense by points allowed, the Pats are already a top 10 D. In fact the Pats were 8th in points allowed.

Their numbers in terms of points scored, points allowed, and point differential were better than the 2009 Superbowl Champion Saints.

Saints in 2009 510 341 169

Patriots 2010 518 313 242

Admittedly, the Steelers and Packers have better defenses in terms of points allowed. They were number 1 (232) and number 2 (240) respectively. They also didn't play with big leads as much as the Pats either.

Theoretically, the defense will improve with Warren and Bodden coming back, but there is always someone on IR. Who will it be next year?

Without any new pieces, the D will improve as it matures, and of course we have the draft picks. If they were to spend 3 of the first 4 picks on defense, that would be great even though before this year, rookies haven't contributed much on BB's teams.

I don't claim to know why the Pats have laid eggs in the playoffs the last two years. People like to blame BB, Brady, the defense, lack of passion, the OC, Kraft for being cheap, this player or that player, or bad draft picks. All I know is that the Pats went 14-2, they are young and on the way up. A couple of more plays against the Jets and they win. BB has all offseason to figure out what went wrong and will try to correct it and I will be rooting for them next year: if there is football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

All of the teams mentioned in this post may have great defense but we beat them all this year. I agree missing out on Clay Matthews may have been a mistake. Only time will tell. Players like him are a rare find. The Ravens, Bears and supposedly the Jets are all suppose to have great defenses but I have not seen them in a SB recently.   

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

We just have to admit... regardless of how well the team did in the regular season, we have now seen the team play poorly, as compared to its potential, two seasons in a row in the playoffs.  Leading up to each of the playoff games versus the Ravens and Jets, did we think the team, especially the defense, would break down so badly and give up the points it did contrary to its regular season results?  In this past season, late in the season, only two teams scored more than 20 points on the D, Colts and Packers, two teams with offenses and QBs that could do that.  Then, to have Sanchez and the Jets put 28 on them? Simply poor play on the Ds part and the offense just didn't execute.  The points were there for the taking, receivers dropping balls everywhere.  That day, the Pats needed a D like the Packers and Steelers to pull them out and it failed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerryM. Show PerryM's posts

IMO, the D made some great plays and missed on some plays badly. Overall I think they are close, everyone on here is consistent on we need a OLD and solid DE that can get after it. I am sure BB knows this too, he got some of the pieces of the puzzle last year and got us the best record in NFL, which means squat I know if we don't play Feb 6th. But we are close with the right 2-3 players I beleive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Well, yes he can.  It's coming.  Give the rookies and second year guys another campaign and they are there.  We do need more help on the Dline as well as a bona fide pass rushing OLB but it is coming into focus.  

BTW, stats are for losers, its whether or not you win the games that matters.  The PATS defense was good enough this year to assist in going 14 -2.  Yes we lost our first play-off game again but a prerequisite for getting into the play-offs by winning your division, means you first have to go 14 -2 or something close to it.  Don't put the cart before the horse or "throw your pearls before swine".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

All of this talk is stupid - we went 14-2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

The stats after the Browns game for the defense was staggering. They led the league in picks, sacks, and points per game after that Browns loss.

Bill is the best coach in the game and your basically questioning what the man can do? Enjoy the fact you got a 14-2 season during a rebuilding year.

Imagine what McCourty, Cunningham, Hernandez, Gronk, and Spikes will be like next year and the jump they will make progression wise.

I know that Jets loss was demoralizing but jesus we probably are going to win a super bowl in the next 3 years at least once more and have one of the most talented squads in the league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Of course he can!

He is on his way
    Even this year look at 1st half vs 2nd half 2010
    I think we are close to having an elite set of DB's,
    a set of LB's that are getting better and are fast
     (except Spikes),
    and a DLine that was depleted - losing too many to injury

I do agree in that I want a few new real tough guys
    on the Dline and LB

I agree with the comment that once we get pressure on the
    QB eveybody will be even better.

The offense nees Oline infusion and another weapon

Getting enough talent is almost like a Rubix Cube
    We will get there

We have to look at the last 2 yrs of Playoff losses
    Its like we lost them at the beggining of the games.
    and we never looked right for the whole game

I think Bruschi's comments were right on.
    Will look forward to his comments this off season

lastly
    The new CBA will have a rookie cap,
    More games which means a larger squad
    And we have more picks tahn any one
    We don;t have alot of FA"s ? But we need Mankins!
    I think that the long term GM job was brilliant

I think the other AFC teams will decline
    Ravens - Lewis and Reid
    Steelers - Palamalu - is going to be like Bob Sanders
       and the Steelres record with out him is abysmal.
    Colts - too many holes and Peyton geting up there
    Jets- they have 18 FA's and they do not have a Dline either

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

In Response to Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense?:
    In Response to Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense? : I agree that the McCourty and Bodden should make a very good secondary.  Wilfork is a stud too. The rest are simply not up to task.   Meriweather is completely overrated. I dont know how he makes the pro-bowl every year.  To have Meriweathers name mentioned with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu at the pro-bowl is an insult to those two phenomenal players. What about our linebackers and defensive ends?  Look at the LB's and DE's on the two teams in the SB.  It is frightening to think how  bad our players are compared to those in Pitt and GB.    We can draft rookies all we want, but the chances are that they will not be able to contribute their first year.  We had a chance at Clay Mathews and missed it.  How good would he look in a NE uniform right now?    Belichick needs to bring in a veteran linebacker or DE to make some plays and mentor the young players. At the pace that we are going,  Brady will retire by the time we have a decent  defense.  Belichick needs to stop trading back and getting "good value".   Clay Mathews would have brought the swagger that this defense desperately needs!
    Posted by Spetznaz24

You forget about Mayo who just lead the league with 194 tackles at linebacker this year. Spikes in going to be a monster and Ty Warren is comind back from injury also. Pat Chung showed potential of being a great play making safety. I agree with you on Meriweather as I think he's over rated . I'd like to see more of Paige.We've got a great draft shaping up (Cunningham showed good potential) A Few free agant signings a a good draft gets us back near a potentially excellent/great defense!) Patence!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

This thread is almost as dumb as the one from the other day. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Sure:

Sign Champ Bailey - he will come cheap

Sign Cromatie - he will cost

Sign Tamba Hali - he will cost

Draft at 17 either Akeem Ayers or Cameron Jordan

Next question?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Umm, where do you expect to play Cromartie here? He's not better than Leigh Bodden. 

I don't get what people look at. Cromarite can't tackle, cannot cover anyone laterally and is a low IQ loser.  No thanks.

Bailey is done and should be moved to Safety at this point.

Either go after Hali or Woodley or draft Ryan Kerrigan, draft a DE like a Jared Crick at 33. Add add a mid rd CB to bring into camp.

This team just needs impact at DE and OLB.  If Ty Warren returns for depth, all the better in camp.

17 - Kerrigan OLB
    28 - Costanzo T (if they sign Mankins)
    33 - Crick DE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Elite defense..next year around game 7 or 8 you will see an elite defense develop  that will take the Pats to the SB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

BBReigns: Costanzo is one of the top OL and will be gone by 28...near 17 though...

I think Kerrigan lacks the "motor"...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

Move up in the draft.....get DE Robert Quinn......Move up, get LB Von Miller.....if you take the draft pick values of the Pats first four picks, they could move up to tenth pick area twice. all the videos of Quinn i've seen, he just lives in the backfield. Von Miller??....speed speed speed. the argument against him is his size....6'3", 240 lbs.....LT was the same size.....Would you trade 4 picks for2 ???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Maybe.  Depends on what happens and whose draft stock rises, etc. 

I am just throwing out examples anyway.

OLB, DT/DE (I don't like the DT conversion options in this draft), and OL (T or Guard) seem to be the priority.

I just completely disagree on someone like Cromartie.  Anyone that dumb won't be playing in this defense, especially over Leigh Bodden.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Move up in the draft.....get DE Robert Quinn......Move up, get LB Von Miller.....if you take the draft pick values of the Pats first four picks, they could move up to tenth pick area twice. all the videos of Quinn i've seen, he just lives in the backfield. Von Miller??....speed speed speed. the argument against him is his size....6'3", 240 lbs.....LT was the same size.....Would you trade 4 picks for???
    Posted by westga

It's a good problem to have, but at the end of the day you the Pats scouts and overall analysis is going to run down that checklist they use every year.

Quinn and Miller are almost the same player, with Quinn being the more explosive player.

NE would probably lose their 17th and 28th, moving back from 28 into the second round to the high 30s if they moved up to the top 5 to grab someone like a Quinn.

Quinn missed his entire senior year, so you have that risk.

At that point, you have Allen Bailey you can score to play DE.  Seems to be some nice options for DE or OLB, but the 3-4 DE is always a concern with 4-3 DEs coming out of college.

Again, not a fan of the DT prospects who would then be moved to 3-4 DE.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Move up in the draft.....get DE Robert Quinn......Move up, get LB Von Miller.....if you take the draft pick values of the Pats first four picks, they could move up to tenth pick area twice. all the videos of Quinn i've seen, he just lives in the backfield. Von Miller??....speed speed speed. the argument against him is his size....6'3", 240 lbs.....LT was the same size.....Would you trade 4 picks for2 ???
    Posted by westga

Quinn is a beast, will have an instant impact...IE sac first game...he went around Castonzo this year like he was a statue, and I like Castonzo big time...

if not defense...like Anthony Castonzo from BC 6'7" 306...basically made Montel Harris who he is...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

while the defense may not have been the best in yards, or third down.

It was in the top 6 i believe in points allowed.

It was pretty good in turn overs also helping the pats have the best turnover ratio this year.

So to answer your question.

Yes, the defense right now is the youngest in the league, and gave up less points then almost everyone else. Throw in some young top tier pass rushers and instead of third down conversions you will get some third down sacks.

Sections
Shortcuts