Can Belichick build an elite defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense?

Phat Rex/PatsMan 2 amongst other Jets tools will tell you the D was ranked 31st.

It's true!

31st ranked D in the NFL!

Jets fans are so intelligent!  They know what they are talking about at every turn.lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense?:
    In Response to Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense? : I agree that the McCourty and Bodden should make a very good secondary.  Wilfork is a stud too. The rest are simply not up to task.   Meriweather is completely overrated. I dont know how he makes the pro-bowl every year.  To have Meriweathers name mentioned with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu at the pro-bowl is an insult to those two phenomenal players. What about our linebackers and defensive ends?  Look at the LB's and DE's on the two teams in the SB.  It is frightening to think how  bad our players are compared to those in Pitt and GB.    We can draft rookies all we want, but the chances are that they will not be able to contribute their first year.  We had a chance at Clay Mathews and missed it.  How good would he look in a NE uniform right now?    Belichick needs to bring in a veteran linebacker or DE to make some plays and mentor the young players. At the pace that we are going,  Brady will retire by the time we have a decent  defense.  Belichick needs to stop trading back and getting "good value".   Clay Mathews would have brought the swagger that this defense desperately needs!
    Posted by Spetznaz24

The rest aren't up to the task? I guess Mayo leading the league in tackles doesn't mean anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense? : First of all, the Ravens defense hasn't been fearsome for the whole decade so put that aside. Secondly, McCourty, Bodden, and Wilfork are the only players on the defense that's up to the task??? How about Mayo leading the entire league in tackles? How about Spikes play stuffing the run as the season wore on? I understand the need for a stud OLB, and a beast on the line but your critique of the defense as a whole is a bit over the top and reactionary! The Defense as currently constituted is really only 2 players away from being a great Patriots defense, bolster the D Line and get a beast OLB. As far as Clay Matthews goes I just can't help but think BB saw something about him that he just did not like and it's obviously not a talent thing.
    Posted by Prophet76

If by decade you are referring to 2000 - 2010, you might want to check your facts Prophet. The Ravens D has consistently been one of the best in the league the entire decade. The 2000 - 2001 Ravens D is considered by many experts to one of the best in NFL history.

I hate the Ravens, but their D has always caused fits for most teams in the league for the past decade. They have had a consistently rivaled by probably only Pittsburg during the decade. I'm speaking primarily from the stand point of statistics and not the number of championships won obviously since NE won the most in the decade.

I totally agree with you about Mayo and Matthews. Fans always want to point back to a draft pick we could have had. Malagua was touted as the better LB of that class and Matthews turned out to be the standout. It is easy to look through hindsight and say we could have him that guy or that one, etc. Fact is, most 1st round draft picks never blossom into elite players and to a certain degree, it can be a crap shoot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

In Response to Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense? : I agree that the McCourty and Bodden should make a very good secondary.  Wilfork is a stud too. The rest are simply not up to task.   Meriweather is completely overrated. I dont know how he makes the pro-bowl every year.  To have Meriweathers name mentioned with Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu at the pro-bowl is an insult to those two phenomenal players. What about our linebackers and defensive ends?  Look at the LB's and DE's on the two teams in the SB.  It is frightening to think how  bad our players are compared to those in Pitt and GB.    We can draft rookies all we want, but the chances are that they will not be able to contribute their first year.  We had a chance at Clay Mathews and missed it.  How good would he look in a NE uniform right now?    Belichick needs to bring in a veteran linebacker or DE to make some plays and mentor the young players. At the pace that we are going,  Brady will retire by the time we have a decent  defense.  Belichick needs to stop trading back and getting "good value".   Clay Mathews would have brought the swagger that this defense desperately needs!
    Posted by Spetznaz24

See the irony?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

"We've got a great draft shaping up"?  Do you work for the Pats?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

You didn't know I was the Pat's top draftologist? Seriously 'Im commenting on the fact that we have 6 of the top 90 draft choices in this coming draft(3 of the top 33). What the Pat's do with this draft is up to them!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The answer to this question is yes. With Mayo Wilfork and McCourty the Pats already have great players at D Line, LB corps, and secondary and a nucleus they can obviously build around. They are still young. If Spikes does not get suspended he ends up in the top five rookie tacklers. So the ILB position is set. I can't stress enough how costly it was to lose Warren (are best run stuffer after Fork) and Bodden (thankfully McCourty played great). A return to health means we have two very good CBs, a better D Line (still think a DE pass rusher is draft possibility) and a LB corps that has improved (again OLB is still an issue solved via the draft or free agency). Look at how many first or second year players the pats had on D. The 3rd year is usually much better than the 1st or 2nd. It's not easy to replace a championship caliber defense that included the likes of Willie Mac, Bruschi, Seau, Harrison and Ty Law. The Pats brass will do this, but it won't be easy and it will take time. So all those in need of instant gratification might wanna watch Suh rookie highlights and remember that a contender, like the Patriots are, seldom get high draft picks (which is how the system works) yet contend every year......even the years they are "rebuilding".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I have to say the defense in my opinion is close. I mean we were pulling dudes off some other league to fill holes and we still finished 14-2. Now I do want one or two guys on D next year that are the type of guys the offensive tackles and QB's have nightmares about. That would be sweet for a change. In the end I really can't complain because we are sitting pretty nice to round out this team to get a few more Trophy's in the next few years!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSRyan. Show PSRyan's posts

The issue everyone is dancing around is the fact that BBs philosophy for OLBs is not factored heavily on QB pressure, but instead on setting the edge vs the run. It's why he defaults to the very difficult to find 6'5" or better height and higher weight to go with mobility. Not saying that QB pressure isn't PART of the equation, but it is not near the top priority. I mean how many YEARS now has there been an outcry for a pass rushing IMPACT OLB in round one? Six? Seven? That would be verifiable trend data that it's not a priority for BB.

The league has changed. A pass rush is now a necessity with only four guys rushing. Period. You can still stack eight/nine in the box and have success against the run even with a little bit lesser talent, but if you can't flood the zone with DBs and still get pressure? You're not winning Super Bowls. The Patriots, Jets, Atlanta, and Chicago all proved it once again this year.

That's the ONLY difference between this year's defense and a championship one. All the other factors are either in place or coming off IR. If they get one or better yet two guys who can pressure the passer either from the DE or OLB CONSISTENTLY this will be a top 10 defense easily.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Can Belichick build an elite defense?:
    I was thinking about this yesterday.  Some teams tend to have good defenses for long periods of time, even when they arent winning alot of games.  Just look at the Steelers, Ravens, Bears. Somehow they always have these dominant defensive  players.  The Ravens have had a great defense for a whole decade now.  The Steelers always manage to find these vicious linebackers who intimidate the opposition. What has gone wrong for Belichick and the Patriots?  Our defense was ranked 25th in the league and last on 3rd down coversion. That is simply awful , no matter how you look at it. They made a few plays because the offense was always putting up 30+ points.  Almost every team threw the ball well against us, and thats with the Patriots having the best  offense in the NFL.  We do not have any intimidators and vicious hitters on this defense.  Pats defense made every QB look like a pro-bowl.  The QB rating of the opposing QB's was almost a 100.  It is simply mind boggling. I understand that the defense is young and all that. Maybe Belichick needs to bring in a few veterans.  Our pass rush is non existant,  our linebackers do not make any impact plays.   I think Jerode Mayo is completely overrated.  He can lead the league in tackles all he can but he never makes any impact plays. He doesn't pressure the QB, and doesn't play well against the pass.  He was responsible for that 65 yard catch by Cotchery after we scored a TD. That killed our momentum completely.  When it came time to make a big tackle, he couldnt bring Shaun Green down. Perhaps Belichick waited too long to rebuild the defense. He shouldve done it after the 2005 season.  He waited until all the veterans left and retired,  the void became apparent. Now the newcomers are getting killed on the field and nobody is there to mentor them in game situations.  It is surprising that a great defensive mind like Belichick couldnt build a culture of dominant defensive play,  like we see in  Pittsburgh and Baltimore. 
    Posted by Spetznaz24

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Some good points there! While I don't believe Mayo deserves a bashing, Belichick does for all his trade downs! Who do we have on D besides Vince and Mc Courty? A bunch of FA's and low round oicks. Deaderick will be cut, Spikes is in the doghouse for good, Cunnigham whiffed 4 times against the Packers RB Kuhn on 3rd and long, he's not the answer nor is Ninkovich. All bargain basement types. he could have had Matthews or a host of other quality defenders but his ego is the size of Montana and he thinks he can do it with 6th rd picks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

• In Response to Re: Can Belichick build an elite defense?:
      Some good points there! While I don't believe Mayo deserves a bashing, Belichick does for all his trade downs! Who do we have on D besides Vince and Mc Courty? A bunch of FA's and low round oicks. Deaderick will be cut, Spikes is in the doghouse for good, Cunnigham whiffed 4 times against the Packers RB Kuhn on 3rd and long, he's not the answer nor is Ninkovich. All bargain basement types. he could have had Matthews or a host of other quality defenders but his ego is the size of Montana and he thinks he can do it with 6th rd picks.
      Posted by jader

Could have....would have.....should have.....

What makes you think Spikes is in the doghouse for good?  The Patriots lost 2 starters at the start of the season to IR.....Warren and Bodden......They have 2 picks in the 1st round and 2 in the 2nd round in the upcoming draft...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's been a while since the Patriots intimidated anyone on defense.

It used to be no fun at all coming to foxboro in december and january because the defense was tough.

The defense was pretty good in the 2nd half of the season - but they aren't scaring ANYONE and they don't pressure the QB.  That's a problem.

They need to draft some defense.  Can it be done?  Yup.

Sections
Shortcuts