Can Edelman replace Welker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Can Edelman replace Welker?

"he's no Welker." 

I'm very happy to have him though. Even though Wes has been our MVP, Edelman is a much better sub for Wes than any of our options if Moss had gone down instead.

Edelman has a chance to make a real name for himself now, like Jacoby Elsbury did in the playoffs and World Series when he was a rookie for the Sox.

Would anybody here be shocked if Edelman averaged 100 ypg in the playoffs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Edelman's shuttle times and athleticism can't be denied, the question wasn't "Is Edelman better than Wes" but can he substitute for him and I believe the answer to be yes.  Julian needs to convert on third downs, he has shown the ability to do that. He needs to return punts, he has been able to do that.

Early in the season, Wes out of the lineup was a disaster for us, Edelman was all over the field needing to be told where to lineup but after watching Wes for a season and absorbing the playbook I think we're a lot better off now. 

For perspective consider this, if Moss went down who would replace him?  The drop off from Wes to Edelman is a lot more manageable than that of Moss to Aiken...  Edelman's the real deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I believe Edelman will do enough to holp the pats win.  He has been learing from WW all season and has played well when he's been given the chance.
    If he is what we all hope he is, we can go into next year knowing we have a true #2/3 and pick another position in the draft.
    It is time to these younger players to step up.  I'm more concerned about the D specially who will play nickle corner because it is ovious wihtley doesn't cut it.  I think Butler is a much better option even though he's a rookie but can't make more mistakes than wihtley has made.
    In offense if we can get balanced, run the ball and use play action to TEs and WRs we'll be ok with Edelman/Moss and maybe using a TE as a slot receiver or Faulk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Patsfaninsatx, no, we play Baltimore either way.  the question isn't if someONE can replace welker, its if 2 or 3 guys can.  Watson, Baker, Stanback, Aiken and will have to start holding onto those balls. Edelman will be pretty good, but with some help and alot of swing passes/bubble screens to Kevin Faulk, we can keep them off balance with the VARIETY of our receivers, like we used to.  Was a bit suprised Wes wasnt hurt earlier in the year anyway, he plays in heavy traffic all day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

Even if Edelman puts up Welker like numbers that does not mean he replaced him. Moss is going to get more coverage now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Even if Edelman puts up Welker like numbers that does not mean he replaced him. Moss is going to get more coverage now.

A 3 wideout lineup with Wes and Edelman on one side would have been lethal in the playoffs.  Undoubtedly Moss will always get his share of double teams.  There's only so many balls to be caught in a game, for us to be effective and win everybody has to get in on the passing game, we can't be as blatantly obvious as we were in the regular season with our play calling. 

At the end of the day we need to run the ball and everything else will work out, remember we're still substantially better than when Reche Caldwell was our 1A receiver.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

"At the end of the day we need to run the ball and everything else will work out, remember we're still substantially better than when Reche Caldwell was our 1A receiver. "

That's it exactly.  Sure we would be better off with WW.  But Pats fans have a short memory of how little Brady had to work with before Moss arrived.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

We can keep our thoughts even simpler.

#1 - We have no choice and must accept Edelman is in.
    #2 - No dillusions of grandeur, WW he ain't!
    #3 - Every player on that team will do their best to win, missing players or not!

As fans, we can moan and groan, the players will play!