Can Flacco beat us with his passing game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Can Flacco beat us with his passing game?

He beat Denver quite a few times....very strong arm........and our secondary is not our strong point. Much better than earlier in the year...but.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Can Flacco beat us with his passing game?

No.  It's gonna be interception city.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Yes

Please refer to the game played earlier this season. He's got BIG WR's to throw to, and uses them. Denver's DB's are on the smallish size, too. Denver's DB's let teh WR's get behind them. The Pats did the same. NOT a good defensive recipe to win. Talib & Co wil, have more than their hands full come Sunday.

With that being said, Denver played to loose, starting just before the half. 31 seconds and a proven HOF QB at the helm, and they take a knee? Then that God awful throw that a freshman HS player would make... roll right and throw left. Take away those two runbacks and Denver was thoroughly handled. Then, to see the Pats Special (Ed) Teams get torched... like deja vu all over again!

The key to winning Sunday is if the DB's can handle the WR's, for both sides.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Champ Bailey is ancient and Smith had him outclassed physically, athletically and after the first two passes, mentally. 

Talib has Smith outclassed physically, not really athletically, but Talib has a cockiness in the way he plays defense. He won't get beat like that. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

Yes

Please refer to the game played earlier this season. He's got BIG WR's to throw to, and uses them. Denver's DB's are on the smallish size, too. Denver's DB's let teh WR's get behind them. The Pats did the same. NOT a good defensive recipe to win. Talib & Co wil, have more than their hands full come Sunday.

With that being said, Denver played to loose, starting just before the half. 31 seconds and a proven HOF QB at the helm, and they take a knee? Then that God awful throw that a freshman HS player would make... roll right and throw left. Take away those two runbacks and Denver was thoroughly handled. Then, to see the Pats Special (Ed) Teams get torched... like deja vu all over again!

Talib is 6'1 210, Torrey Smith is 6'1 205. I hardly think BB has to worry about Smith. And Dennard's weakness is against speedsters. He'll hang with Boldin. 

And McCourty is a 100 times better than Rahim Moore. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well, if Talib can play man up the way he did this week, then there will  be one less hole. 

The Denver CBs really had their worst game of the season at the worst time. 

Key here, though, will be safety and LBer play. They like to work the middle of the field passing into the seams. 

Accounting for Pitta and Rice will be the challenge. NE allowed too many checkdown passes to RBs this week, and Rice is devastating (compare to Foster who is a power runner) in the open field. 

Pitta nabbed some huge catches for the Ravens down the stretch. 

So the onus is on Talib to match off his "guy" whether it's Smith or Bolden. And don't let them milk Rice/Pitta over the middle running and dumping it to the TE/RB. Get someone on Pitta and beat him up, leave on guy out there to literally shadow Rice. 

Also, hugely important. I can't think of a worse starting QB with pressure in his face than Flacco, but given the number of weapons they possess he still has options. He has an 84 rating against the blitz and a miserable 35 rating under pressure. 

Shutting down the deep passing will be as much about getting in Flacco's lanes as it will be about deep coverage. Cover-1. Give Dennard some help over the top, but let Talib battle it out. Bring one safety a few steps in to patrol the seams. That gives you the extra man to send, which can just alternate between Spikes, Mayo, and Hightower. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

He beat Denver quite a few times....very strong arm........and our secondary is not our strong point. Much better than earlier in the year...but.....

I honestly don't know why people think he's so bad. He's not. He's a good everyday QB in this league.   He's fairly accurate, but you need to get him off that spot just like any other QB.

one weakness I see with Flacco...as strong as his arm his......he tends to lob it. Leaves it up in the air too long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Yes

Talib is 6'1 210, Torrey Smith is 6'1 205. I hardly think BB has to worry about Smith. And Dennard's weakness is against speedsters. He'll hang with Boldin. 

Dennard likes to get rough. I think it will be fun watching the boxing match between hiom and Boldin, who is also a physical possession type WR. NE doesn't move their corners, so it will be most interesting to see how Baltimore chooses to match off with those guys. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I see a healthy amount of passing the Baltimore game plan.  Can Flacco beat the Pats with it? Sure.  Will he?  Don't think so.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think this game comes down to a handful of plays.  I really do.  Flacco will test the Pats' secondary deep for sure.  He is not an all-time great but he is certainly adequate.  Hopefully the Pats can take away Rice and make Flacco win the game for them, all while getting in his face and forcing some bad throws/decisions from him.  

Should be a great game!  I love that the Ravens have launched the first salvo of insults.  No love lost between these two teams.     

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I think this game comes down to a handful of plays.  I really do.  Flacco will test the Pats' secondary deep for sure.  He is not an all-time great but he is certainly adequate.  Hopefully the Pats can take away Rice and make Flacco win the game for them, all while getting in his face and forcing some bad throws/decisions from him.  

Should be a great game!  I love that the Ravens have launched the first salvo of insults.  No love lost between these two teams.     

Well, Baltimore is a "big play" deep PA offense. Once they get that short stuff going they go over the top to Smith, which can be backbreaking. 

Hopefully it doesn't come down to a few big plays, or if it does they are big by NE's defense. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Yes

The Patriots have a hard time with tall, physical WRs.  Hopefully, the Patriots don't back down and are physical at the line of scrimmage.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Flacco has had good games against the Patriots.  He can sling that ball deep.  He has receivers that cause matchup problems for defenses due to their heighth and ability to catch the ball.

The Patriots defensive backs are small.  The Patriots defensive backs have had problems all season turning and looking for the ball and getting PI calls against them.  However, the Patriots defense have great takeaway numbers and hopefully DMC at safety makes a difference here that they haven't had when the Patriots have played the Ravens in the past. 

Bottom line is it's going to be very interesting.  The Patriots defensive backs better be up to the challenge to win this game because they will be challenged.  Once again it's going to be up to TFB to outscore the Ravens to win this.  The hurry up needs to be big in the game plan this coming Sunday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

For once - I have to kind of agree with Rusty - Pats D looked stout against Houston  - they gave up some garbage points late - but I was really impressed with how they handled adversity on the unbelieveably poor kickoff coverage and the Pats D look great in the 1st half except the last 2 minutes

Rusty - the Pats offense did not look like they were slipping yesterday - no need to start with your Brady bashing

Rusty - also - as you have correctly pointed out - the Ravens D is older and slower and coming off of a very long game played in thin air- they will be tired Sunday..............

..........these circumstances are begging for the Pats to come out no huddle from the opening possession to test the Ravens legs

Are we going to have to suffer from listening to you complain about the shotgun if the Pats run it Sunday in the 1st half?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Hopefully our offense doesn't have any meltdowns against an old and tired Ravens D that just allowed 35 points.

21 points. In 5 quarters. On 16 drives. Creating three turnovers. 

Maybe you want to set them up as "old and tired" by pretending two KR TDs count against their defense, but most people actually watched the game. 

Baltimore's *young* defense looks incredibly good right now with Ellerbe and Kruger coming off the edge. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

It took a lot of flukey things for Balt to win that game. A stupid blown coverage at the end made it happen. Gomer should have thrown on that third down a the end too. Glad Gomer lost, but Balt doesnt scare me as much as SF would.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The last 2 QBs to beat Manning in the postseason,Flacco and Sanchez

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No problem as long as our safety's stay disciplined.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

The last 2 QBs to beat Manning in the postseason,Flacco and Sanchez

Same thing with that Pats...Manning, Sanchez and Flacco...

Flacco can beat us. He's historically had good games against us and should be coming in extremely confident.

He led a game winning drive against us this season. He was a Lee Evans drops from leading another comeback. And a few years ago, he was really a Mark Clayton drop from leading another comeback.

This game will not be a gimme. I'm surprised by the spread, even in 2007 when the Pats were undefeated and the Ravens were sub 500 they played us extremely close.

I've been one of Flacco's biggest critics. That being said, he has a bit of Eli in him. Inconsistent in the regular season and rather clutch when it matters.

Sections
Shortcuts