Can Flacco beat us with his passing game?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Can Flacco beat us with his passing game?

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hopefully our offense doesn't have any meltdowns against an old and tired Ravens D that just allowed 35 points.

[/QUOTE]

21 points. In 5 quarters. On 16 drives. Creating three turnovers. 

Maybe you want to set them up as "old and tired" by pretending two KR TDs count against their defense, but most people actually watched the game. 

Baltimore's *young* defense looks incredibly good right now with Ellerbe and Kruger coming off the edge. 

[/QUOTE]

35 points allowed is a good defense? 

Maybe their just channeling the "let's win it for Ray" thing really well 2 weeks in a row?

[/QUOTE]

So you didn't watch the game? They only allowed 21 points. 

Did the defense allow those two kick return TDs Rusty??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Shut down Ray Rice first and play man, mix in some zone on Torey Smith. Flacco throws a damn good deep ball so we have to account for Smith. Hold Baltimore to FG's and this could get ugly fast. It could very well be a smashmouth nailbiter but part of me thinks the Pats might open up a big lead and win going away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hopefully our offense doesn't have any meltdowns against an old and tired Ravens D that just allowed 35 points.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you want to set them up as "old and tired" by pretending two KR TDs count against their defense, but most people actually watched the game. 

Baltimore's *young* defense looks incredibly good right now with Ellerbe and Kruger coming off the edge. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe their just channeling the "let's win it for Ray" thing really well 2 weeks in a row?

[/QUOTE]

I think that's more likely. Their defense is getting old. Mind you, I think they are still a threat, but they can be beaten. Denver lost that game more because of THEIR old defense (Bailey getting burned), and because of some bad coaching decisions more than any shutdown the Ravens put on them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

Denver lost because Peyton couldn't deliver in the cold. Didn't help that the secondary let one get behind them. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that's more likely. Their defense is getting old. Mind you, I think they are still a threat, but they can be beaten. Denver lost that game more because of THEIR old defense (Bailey getting burned), and because of some bad coaching decisions more than any shutdown the Ravens put on them.

[/QUOTE]

And because of two special teams TDs. 

Really. Baltimore's old, tired defense had a pick six, forced three turnovers, and held the Denver offense to 21 points in 5+ quarters of play. 

Sorry, they are not looking especially old or tired right now. 

Meanwhile on this forum ... giving up 28 points to the Texans in 4 quarters is grounds for jubilation. 

Gotta love rhetoric that doesn't match with facts.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He beat Denver quite a few times....very strong arm........and our secondary is not our strong point. Much better than earlier in the year...but.....

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know why people think he's so bad. He's not. He's a good everyday QB in this league.   He's fairly accurate, but you need to get him off that spot just like any other QB.

He has very good perimeter weapons, but I also like our CBs in Talib and Dennard. I thought Talib was great yesterday, actually, so I like him on Smith, assuming Smith aligns on the strong side like he usually does.

Dennard on Boldin, I like too. Dennard may be a rookie, but he doesn't play like one. His tackling is also very good.

I still say the game will channel through Ray Rice/Pierce.   Focus on Pitta and Rice, let Talib and Dennard do their thing trying to channel the passes and routes outside the hashes.

[/QUOTE]

I see the opposite with Talib on Bolidin.

i agree howver Pats first must contain Rice, force Flacco to look Pitta/Dickerson

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

He beat Denver quite a few times....very strong arm........and our secondary is not our strong point. Much better than earlier in the year...but.....

[/QUOTE]

No.. remember, that last Ravens' winning drive was aided by a questionable PI call plus a few other defensive holding calls that kept other drives alive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Kick and punt returns are not on the D. 21 points to a pretty good offense bodes well with that old and slow defense. and over nearly 5 quarters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes

Please refer to the game played earlier this season. He's got BIG WR's to throw to, and uses them. Denver's DB's are on the smallish size, too. Denver's DB's let teh WR's get behind them. The Pats did the same. NOT a good defensive recipe to win. Talib & Co wil, have more than their hands full come Sunday.

With that being said, Denver played to loose, starting just before the half. 31 seconds and a proven HOF QB at the helm, and they take a knee? Then that God awful throw that a freshman HS player would make... roll right and throw left. Take away those two runbacks and Denver was thoroughly handled. Then, to see the Pats Special (Ed) Teams get torched... like deja vu all over again!

The key to winning Sunday is if the DB's can handle the WR's, for both sides.    

[/QUOTE]

Talib is 6'1 210, Torrey Smith is 6'1 205. I hardly think BB has to worry about Smith. And Dennard's weakness is against speedsters. He'll hang with Boldin. 

And McCourty is a 100 times better than Rahim Moore. 

[/QUOTE]

"I hardly think BB has to worry about Smith."

HUH?? All the guy did was torch the Pats in Baltimore for 6 catches, 127 yds, and 2 TD's, whole playing with a "heavy heart". To think BB isn't worried about him, or Bolden or Jones, or Pitta, or even Flacco is, well, absolutely crazy and absurd. I guess the 382 yds and 3 TD's Flacco hung up in Baltimore was a mirage, right? And his 331 yds and 3 TD's Saturday against a better defense?

I see a need to identify and understand "reality" here....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, if Talib can play man up the way he did this week, then there will  be one less hole. 

The Denver CBs really had their worst game of the season at the worst time. 

Key here, though, will be safety and LBer play. They like to work the middle of the field passing into the seams. 

Accounting for Pitta and Rice will be the challenge. NE allowed too many checkdown passes to RBs this week, and Rice is devastating (compare to Foster who is a power runner) in the open field. 

Pitta nabbed some huge catches for the Ravens down the stretch. 

So the onus is on Talib to match off his "guy" whether it's Smith or Bolden. And don't let them milk Rice/Pitta over the middle running and dumping it to the TE/RB. Get someone on Pitta and beat him up, leave on guy out there to literally shadow Rice. 

Also, hugely important. I can't think of a worse starting QB with pressure in his face than Flacco, but given the number of weapons they possess he still has options. He has an 84 rating against the blitz and a miserable 35 rating under pressure. 

Shutting down the deep passing will be as much about getting in Flacco's lanes as it will be about deep coverage. Cover-1. Give Dennard some help over the top, but let Talib battle it out. Bring one safety a few steps in to patrol the seams. That gives you the extra man to send, which can just alternate between Spikes, Mayo, and Hightower. 

[/QUOTE]

Mostly agree. I think Flacco has grown as a QB though. He can still have terrible games. But he has risen to the occasion in the playoffs a number of times. You cannot count on him to choke. You have to make him make a mistake.

Coverage v Boldon and as you say, not letting Rice or Pitta milk the middle or edges, is huge. SO is forcing 3rd and longs enough times to get them to break down. And that also means pass rush which is still nto good enough.

THis also means containing Rice on the ground as well as in receiver role.

The D will need to come up BIG. Both individually and colllectively.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

21 points.... Their special (Ed) teams gave up 14 via a punt and kick off returns for TD's. Defense only gave up 21.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The last 2 QBs to beat Manning in the postseason,Flacco and Sanchez

[/QUOTE]

Same thing with that Pats...Manning, Sanchez and Flacco...

Flacco can beat us. He's historically had good games against us and should be coming in extremely confident.

He led a game winning drive against us this season. He was a Lee Evans drops from leading another comeback. And a few years ago, he was really a Mark Clayton drop from leading another comeback.

This game will not be a gimme. I'm surprised by the spread, even in 2007 when the Pats were undefeated and the Ravens were sub 500 they played us extremely close.

I've been one of Flacco's biggest critics. That being said, he has a bit of Eli in him. Inconsistent in the regular season and rather clutch when it matters.

[/QUOTE]

Never mind about the Lee Evans drop.... they managed to thoroughky mismanage the clock and fudged up a tying FG attempt, that turned into a miss. The way they came back in the game, I wasn't looking forward to any OT encounters.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Denver had 30 1st downs, to Ravens 21. Turnovers, and losing Moreno hurt more than Ravens Defense.

[/QUOTE]

You take the first downs.... I'll take the score. That's all that matters at the end of the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I am more concerned about Ray Rice in the open field either as a receiver or RB forced to dodge LBs at the second level (something he is good at). Flacco is good, but not elite. He's made some great deep throws, but is in love with his arm strength. Best idea is for Pats D to get pressure on him and flush him out of the pocket. Some one said the Pats have given only 1 30yrd+ play in the last six games.....whether that is coverage or pressure I don't much care because you need both to be successful. Why wouldn't the Ravens get into TOP game (Rice, Pierce, Leach) and limit Brady's possessions?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to jam757's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shut down Ray Rice first and play man, mix in some zone on Torey Smith. Flacco throws a damn good deep ball so we have to account for Smith. Hold Baltimore to FG's and this could get ugly fast. It could very well be a smashmouth nailbiter but part of me thinks the Pats might open up a big lead and win going away.

[/QUOTE]

And what about Boldin and Jones? Plus Pitta. Lots of weapons to account for.

Just remember one thing..... the Ravens were built on defense. With few exceptions, they lost games due to defense, not bad offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats went 7 quarters before allowing a TD, before last night.

[/QUOTE]

Don't confuse Jacksonville and Miami with real offenses.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes

Please refer to the game played earlier this season. He's got BIG WR's to throw to, and uses them. Denver's DB's are on the smallish size, too. Denver's DB's let teh WR's get behind them. The Pats did the same. NOT a good defensive recipe to win. Talib & Co wil, have more than their hands full come Sunday.

With that being said, Denver played to loose, starting just before the half. 31 seconds and a proven HOF QB at the helm, and they take a knee? Then that God awful throw that a freshman HS player would make... roll right and throw left. Take away those two runbacks and Denver was thoroughly handled. Then, to see the Pats Special (Ed) Teams get torched... like deja vu all over again!

[/QUOTE]

Talib is 6'1 210, Torrey Smith is 6'1 205. I hardly think BB has to worry about Smith. And Dennard's weakness is against speedsters. He'll hang with Boldin. 

[/QUOTE]

Dennard likes to get rough. I think it will be fun watching the boxing match between hiom and Boldin, who is also a physical possession type WR. NE doesn't move their corners, so it will be most interesting to see how Baltimore chooses to match off with those guys. 

[/QUOTE]

agree with this (was my thinkign as well) and yoru earlier post/assessment

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am more concerned about Ray Rice in the open field either as a receiver or RB forced to dodge LBs at the second level (something he is good at). Flacco is good, but not elite. He's made some great deep throws, but is in love with his arm strength. Best idea is for Pats D to get pressure on him and flush him out of the pocket. Some one said the Pats have given only 1 30yrd+ play in the last six games.....whether that is coverage or pressure I don't much care because you need both to be successful. Why wouldn't the Ravens get into TOP game (Rice, Pierce, Leach) and limit Brady's possessions?

[/QUOTE]

"Some one said the Pats have given only 1 30yrd+ play in the last six games.....whether that is coverage or pressure I don't much care because you need both to be successful."

Also, playing Jacksonville and Miami in back-to-back games helps out statistically, tremendously

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No.. remember, that last Ravens' winning drive was aided by a questionable PI call plus a few other defensive holding calls that kept other drives alive.

[/QUOTE]

Shame that it took till page two for the Referee Conspiracy to raise it's ugly head.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dennard likes to get rough. I think it will be fun watching the boxing match between hiom and Boldin, who is also a physical possession type WR. NE doesn't move their corners, so it will be most interesting to see how Baltimore chooses to match off with those guys. 

[/QUOTE]

agree with this (was my thinkign as well) and yoru earlier post/assessment

[/QUOTE]

Dennard likes to get rough. I think it will be fun watching the boxing match between hiom and Boldin

Hmmm..... one of them is a rookie, and the other an all pro WR that has been in teh playoffs a few times, and is big and physical. Think that there's a possibility that Dennard: 1) gets beat  or  2) overplays and gets PI and other defensive penalties called against him? Remember, he's a rookie. Playing physical plays into Boldin's hands. Always been this way since the Cardinals drafted him.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

AZPAT, then there was those two games where the Pats O basically raped the NFL's 3rd ranked defense for 83 points. Do those count?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Flacco stood in the pocket most of the day.   He should have destroyed the broncos.