Can Genghis Goodell Be Stopped?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Can Genghis Goodell Be Stopped?

In an effort to squeeze out every last dollar, the Commissioner of the league is slowly destroying the game. Too many Thursday night and Saturday games threaten to water down the quality of play, and increase injury. Over exposure of pro football damages the desire of the fan for the product, and the anticipation for each upcoming NFL weekend. Expanding the play-offs serves to increase the odds of teams making the tournament with a .500 record, or worse, cheapens the value of regular season games, and destroys what is so special and elite about the NFL playoffs. Further expansion threatens to water down the quality of the product. All this as the cost to actually attend a game skyrockets. Need I go on?

I understand that Goodell works for the owners, and is handsomely paid to make the league as profitable as possible. But, as NFL Commissioner, he is also supposed to serve as a steward of the game...and do what's best for football, and the fans...who make all of the NFL's billions a reality. Sadly, Goodell is remiss in this area...stirred by the majority of the present day owners, who are businessmen first, and football people third: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/goodell-believes-expanded-playoffs-wouldnt-water-down-postseason/  ;

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Can Genghis Goodell Be Stopped?

I read the other day that the decision to move the draft back two weeks (because of the hopes to capitalize on it more) has backfired on them. Personally I can't stand the wait anymore - it's just too much of a lull/drawn out process at this point. How many more mock drafts are we going to see? And the media is going to do this for another two weeks? I hope they change it back next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Football has succeeded because the yearlong NFL Fans that keep it running are usually: No frills, No exceptional over-drama, go-getters that do not enjoy boredom..."hand-me's"...over-regulation...drawn out processes that belay the actual less-exciting act <no pitch counts and 128 game seasons nor non-action occurring elsewhere and/or no non-point scoring achievements/nor gravy point scoring achievements>...  It always matters...everyone does...on every play...in every crucial game. 

^ Goodell is NOT these things.  Never played football.  Football is a media event for cameras and business ventures.  Its something always hopefully, Appreciable- but never really, appreciated. 

Its a once-removed toy business venture for an uber capitalist lawyer.  What are the stock prices RIGHT NOW.  AND what can I make them 1 second from now...  Not:  Will these hurt the long-term investment or shortchange stockholders or dismay them or the board.  He's a cross between a day trader and The CEO for Goldman and Sachs...  Prices now...I don't care...I am untouchable...not my job...prices now.

...And that's not what a sport's fan is about.  They are about love and passion and EXTREME personal interest and all that little things to love and enjoy that may not translate to stock prices rising that very second as a result.  These guys <fans> lose out...certain things are added or removed that they may LOVE and really enjoy...but just ever the slightest bit=Stand in the way of 1 penny more to be gained.

What's he want 2 more wild card teams per conference.  =14 Playoff spots  is silly in 4 team divisions, where 1 of them HAS to go...and especially in 4 divisions per 2 conferences with 2 more wild cars per conference.  That means 2 out of 12 losers and 2nd placers can make it.  Goodell wants to up this to 1/3rd of 2nd placers are good enough in 4 team franchises divisions.  Sheez...  Just make the bottom 2 guys out and the top 2 guys in...  50-50 and ya get a postseason medal birth.  Simple:  When in week 18, When ya lose the Chicago and Miami...AND the Tennessee and Arizona viewship market and ads and etc., etc=Money...WHY not get that for 1 more week.  Simple...ya do.  Right or wrong.      

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I have said many times here that the nfl is not very well run, yes they make a lot OFg money, but these guys didn't invent the game, and shouldn't get credit for creating this money making Goliath. Take these same people , put them in charge of another sports league and they would never be nearly s successful

having two more teams in the playoffs ,with lesser records is by definition " watering" down the product. No matter what they  say. They have rules problems, helmet safety issues, and with how much better the TV experience is , are just a few if the problems. Moving the draft out has been too cute by half. They didn't realize that people like to talk more about who is on their team, than infinite possibilities. Longer time to the draft , means less talking about the possibilities of who is now on your team afterwards.the problem is that the nfl owners AE in the first steps of being emperors without clothes. More simply said, they make a ton of money in spite of themselves and will bully into what they want

i have always always the most of Kraft.and as how he runs the team, he may be the GOAT.m, but where he and the other owners and Goodel now are taking it will eventually take it's toll on the game

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

There is now news that Goodell is considering a 4-day draft:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000344129/article/roger-goodell-nfl-draft-could-increase-to-four-days" rel="nofollow">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000344129/article/roger-goodell-nfl-draft-could-increase-to-four-days

Obviously they want to keep their "product" in the eyes and minds of "consumers" as much as possible.

They have not yet reached the saturation point, but ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Once they start changing the concussion rules mid stream it will really get screwed up. It better not become soccer.   End the Super Bowl with goal kicks 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The owners are complaining all the way to the bank I'm sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Goodell does not make these decisions. The owners do. 

There is a collective bargaining agreement as well. Last time I looked, the salary cap is scheduled to increase to over $150m in the next 2 years

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In an effort to squeeze out every last dollar, the Commissioner of the league is slowly destroying the game. Too many Thursday night and Saturday games threaten to water down the quality of play, and increase injury. Over exposure of pro football damages the desire of the fan for the product, and the anticipation for each upcoming NFL weekend. Expanding the play-offs serves to increase the odds of teams making the tournament with a .500 record, or worse, cheapens the value of regular season games, and destroys what is so special and elite about the NFL playoffs. Further expansion threatens to water down the quality of the product. All this as the cost to actually attend a game skyrockets. Need I go on?

I understand that Goodell works for the owners, and is handsomely paid to make the league as profitable as possible. But, as NFL Commissioner, he is also supposed to serve as a steward of the game...and do what's best for football, and the fans...who make all of the NFL's billions a reality. Sadly, Goodell is remiss in this area...stirred by the majority of the present day owners, who are businessmen first, and football people third: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/goodell-believes-expanded-playoffs-wouldnt-water-down-postseason/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/goodell-believes-expanded-playoffs-wouldnt-water-down-postseason/  ;;

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I couldn't agree more. As someone who gets up very early for work now I despise what they've done with all of these prime time games. That means I won't be watching more than a quarter or 2 and it probably means a lot of younger, potentially future fans won't be watching until Midnight too. All sports are starting to do this now including Nascar which was strictly a Sunday afternoon sport for many years. The networks pay the cash and they dictate when the games are shown. They don't care if teams are playing on three days rest or if they have to travel 5-6 thousand miles to play a game in England. I'm sure they'll continue to make more billions so it will never change.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Goodell does not make these decisions. The owners do. 

There is a collective bargaining agreement as well. Last time I looked, the salary cap is scheduled to increase to over $150m in the next 2 years

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Your facts don't jive with people's desire to irrationally hate Goodell. He should obviously go against his EMPLOYERS (do people realize he answers to 32 masters?) and do what the FANS want! The fans can't agree on anything, that matters not! He's the DEVIL!!!!!

I don't agree with everything he's done, but overall, I think he's been good for the game. If people remember the ABA/NBA of the mid-70s, that's where the NFL was headed. NOBODY, fans/owners/players, want that. Too many James Harrison/Brandon Meriweather types were taking over the game. 

He's cleaning up the game. It's hard to see it any other way. It's a slow, ugly process that forces some overreaction, and some he does on his own, but these are neccessary steps to keep the game healthy going forward. People love to whine about turning it into a flag football league...I still contend that, without these changes with the thought of safety first, it was really a matter of time before some DIED on the field. Players are MUCH bigger, stronger and faster, and are still growing. For the most part, players have proven to be too downright stupid to take care of themselves, so yes, a lot of this is required. Many former players knew about the concussion issue, but that didn't stop them from playing, and now turning around and suing. SOME have a very honest right to be mad at the league, many do not. Juries are equally stupid, routinely handing judgements to underserving, stupid people. So, the NFL has to stay WELL ahead of that.

Is it perfect? No. As soon as people can give me a list of "perfection", I will happily judge other things against that. 

Personally, I'd like to see players get back to fundamentals. For the level of physical gifts present in the league, fundamentals are ATROCIOUS all over the field. LBs who don't know how to tackle. WRs who can't catch with their hands. QBs that can't read a defense. Coaches who refuse to use a running game. Money has made athletes soft and lazy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Goodell was tasked with and graded out with;

-Negotiate a lucrative TV contract-A plus

-Hammer out a CBA that all owners could live with-A plus plus

-Clean up the off field criminal activity by handing out unprecedented fines and suspensions-A

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I know people who knew him in college. He was a goof then, as he is now.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Of course he can be stopped.

If that's what you really want, all you have to do is tune out.

Simplest thing in the world.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

-Clean up the off field criminal activity by handing out unprecedented fines and suspensions-A

Response...LOL!!! 

- Serve as a steward of the game - (F-)

- Promote changes that are fan friendly - (F-)

-Clean up off field criminal activity, an (A)??? You've got to be kidding! Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Jim Irsay, Aaron Hernandez, just to name a few of the more recent violators. If anything, the NFL "crime wave" has gotten far worse under Goodell's watch than it ever was, previously. Grade: (F). 

With Goodell, everything takes a back seat to the all mighty dollar...whether it's good for the game or not. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

To me Rozelle and, to a lesser degree, Tagligibue get some credit for making the game of football a profit-making machine (that is designated a non-profit organization that anti-trust exempt most of the time). The Thursday night games have been largely atrocious because of lack of preparation time. The plan to increase the # of games will have to include roster expansion and expanding playoffs same thing. The issue is one of perception and in the eyes of most fans both are perceived as cash grabs for a rich league and the possibility of diluting the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To me Rozelle and, to a lesser degree, Tagligibue get some credit for making the game of football a profit-making machine (that is designated a non-profit organization that anti-trust exempt most of the time). The Thursday night games have been largely atrocious because of lack of preparation time. The plan to increase the # of games will have to include roster expansion and expanding playoffs same thing. The issue is one of perception and in the eyes of most fans both are perceived as cash grabs for a rich league and the possibility of diluting the game.

[/QUOTE]

Goodell is a hypocrite. On one handhe makes all of these ridiculous rule changes about where you can't hit an offensive players, under the guise of "player safety". But then, he sanctions all of these Thursday night games, forcing players to play when their bodies have not yet sufficiently healed from the pounding that they took on the Sunday past. With Genghis, it's all about the almighty dollar. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree 100% Tex if we see an 18 game season and expanded playoffs players will get seriously injured. Players need time to heal up and recover from injuries; difficult to do on a very short week. Some of this player safety stuff is just window dressing; Goodell does not want another fairly expensive lawsuit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

Response...LOL!!! 

seriously?? he serves the owners first and foremost. and they grade him based on $$$$

since when do the fans matter? again, he acts on what the owners decide. if you have issue with changes that effect fans, take it up with your teams ownership

-Clean up off field criminal activity, an (A)??? You've got to be kidding! Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Jim Irsay, Aaron Hernandez, just to name a few of the more recent violators. If anything, the NFL "crime wave" has gotten far worse under Goodell's watch than it ever was, previously. Grade: (F). 

rightfully so, he has to wait for the legal issues to play out. I think it is fair to say, once they do, Hern is banned for life, Irsay for 1 year, Smith for 8 games. I would assume Kaep is found innocent on all charges, so Goodell will not issue a penalty

I dont think that Goodell can force a stupid person to not do something stupid. I do think he is putting in penalties and fines, that do make the player give pause before doing something stupid.

seems you forgot how lax things were pre Goodell

With Goodell, everything takes a back seat to the all mighty dollar...whether it's good for the game or not. 

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

Response...LOL!!! 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Texas - 

As far as making fan friendly changes...have you noticed the NFL ratings over the past decade? THey aren't going down. You're confusing "die hard football fan" with "majority fan". The MAJORITY of football fans fall under the "casual" label. So, while you, I, and many other fans and former players turned analysts cringe at the flags and fines for some of these very classic FOOTBALL hits...a lot of people applaud it. That's just the reality. Few things in life cater to the minority.

And as far as cleaning up in the game...in 1998 Leonard Little KILLED a woman while DRIVING DRUNK...and got an 8 game suspension. It HAS gotten a lot better. It probably isn't good enough yet, but it is headed in the right direction.

Players are now actually getting PED suspensions.

The pendulum swung too far one way, and now Goodell is pulling it back. Again, it's not pretty or always done well, but it's a requirement for the betterment of the game. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

If one thinks that the nfl cannot over expose itself, remember Monday nite ftbll was on abc not cable

They have already diluted the draft by moving it out

they are screwing the paying fans who buy tickets with the expanded flex games, why coz they know the ave nite game is starting to tank

the odds are that they will dilute the game so much they will kill it

when 7-8 & 8-8 teams make the playoffs every year, even the playoff games will wither. 

today I watch other on pat games coz they are interesting, that will change

i don't blame just Goodell. It's all of them
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land