Can Patriots Survive the Loss of Torry Holt?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Can Patriots Survive the Loss of Torry Holt?!

Just when things looked so promising out of Foxboro, fans are hit with another injury that could be the death knell to their season. Already deprived of the services of one-time No. 2 wide receiver David Patten, the Patriots have lost Torry Holt for the season. Sure, the Patriots have had big losses to start the season such as Tom Brady, Roosevelt Colvin, Shawn Crable, etc. But how will they respond this time? 

With only Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, Taylor Price, Alge Crumpler, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowsi, and Kevin Faulk available to catch passes the Patriots will be forced to employ Sam "Butterfingers" Aiken when the team goes into its famed 10 receiver sets. Having Holt on the field would have assured them that they would not have to rely on rookie Taylor Price as that all important tenth receiver on the field. 

An anonymous source close to the team predicts that this will drastically alter the teams strategy, as they may now need to use offensive lineman on offense. The source predicts that, while the will results in more traditional football, fans should not expect the Patriots to be as explosive as initially thought. The hope is that the Pats can get by with what they have, but there is talk of bringing in Peter Warrick. 

And to think, the Pats had a shot at getting T.O. Now they are left with needing to play their tackles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

Re: Can Patriots Survive the Loss of Torry Holt?!

I like the idea of "10 receiver sets."  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Yes! Don't panic the Pats will be fine and we will see the younguns do a great job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

With the depth they have at wr along with Welker back .all due respect to Holt but the would have never made the team....healthy or not.........He was looking at 6-7 th wr .........if they even carry that many..........he was insurance for Welker and he is back so beat it........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I'm really worried about how this will affect the all important pass rush.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vafan2004. Show vafan2004's posts

In Response to Re: Can Patriots Survive the Loss of Torry Holt?!:

Plenty of young talent @ WR.  Not to worry.  Plus, TE position has young talent, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

I think the pats can survive the loss of holt. The key will be to pretend that he is still on the roster

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

This team is "thin" at WR and an overall receiving group according to Peter King

And since when does Peter King know his b*ng hole from the Grand Canyon? If Welker is back they'll be fine. From what I saw of the game (NO), it looks like Edelman is pretty capable of doing Wes' job, though maybe he'd only catch 90 balls in a season! Moss is up for a contract, so he'll bring his game. And Tate didn't look so bad, either. Then there's always that vet who needs a job around Labor Day. People are getting all worked up and it's still three weeks until opening day!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I didn't expect he to make the team after hearing about how well Tate has been doing. The Pats will be fine. They have the same receiving corps they had last year, excect Price is new and Tate has more experience. Moss is healthy now and the Pats have better TE targets. They also fielded one of the top offenses last year. Brady has now had a full season playing after his injury.

I think it's safe to say they'll be ok.

Or they could just do what Russ mentioned and hang it up now. You know, there's probably a 0% chance they will win the superbowl anyway. Why not aim for the top pick?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Yes they can survive w/ out Holt remember he didn't  add that much to the Pats Yes he may have caught a few but most he missed alot

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Read the opening post again. It was a joke!

"famed 10 receiver set"   ha ha

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

hell yes, he wasn't gonna come in here a save the offense, what are you thinking?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

Considering Holt never played a down for the Patriots its a Duuuhhhhh! question dont you think?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Since they were giving money to semi-retired veterans, they could have given the money to Troy Brown. He still earned it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

There have been plenty of reports that Holt was a bubble guy, I think the biggest impact won't be during the season but now.  He was teaching and coaching the young receivers.

After seeing what Edelman did vs the Saints, WW looking like he will be available week 1 and two young speed guys which of the two Tate is looking like a solid outside guy add Hernandez and the TEs and I am not worried at all about Holt. 

There are plenty of pass catchers, moss will have double digit TDs Edelman and WW will combine for over 200 catches and hernandez will complete the spread offense.  Tate will make Ds respect the deep ball which will only open up the middle and give Moss more 1 on 1s and my money is on Moss.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

WOW!!! I didn't realize that so many in our fan base were so clueless. It's embarrassing. Are you guys too lazy to actually read the op, or just real slow in reading comprehension. It's called satire or being facetious. You know, tongue in cheek. Not to be taken seriously. Geez.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jumpshotking13. Show jumpshotking13's posts

haha thank you capecod, i was starting to get worried that i was the only person that got the joke. pretty funny nonetheless

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

Yes...I was laughing the whole time....until I started reading the serious comments...uuggh!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

we have some untested,and un-proven young receivers.add a untested welker since his injury.and you cant judge things to much on pre-season.sure it can all pan out,but it would still be nice to have another solid veteran receiver on the roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Can the Patriots survive the loss of a guy that wasn't going to make the team anyway?  Um, yeah, they can.  Next.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

I'm just thoroughly amazed and embarrassed. Even after being told outright by a couple of other posts in this thread what should have been obvious in the first place (if you'd actually read the OP and not just the title), this thread is meant to be HUMEROUS. You know, WITTY, SATIRICAL, TONGUE IN CHEEK!!!!  And yet, we still have posters responding as if this were serious. It really saddens me as it makes Pat fans look pretty stupid. Sad, really, really sad.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

10 receiver sets haha

so who snaps the ball?

now for the serious:

Moss: motivated and ready to catch between 15 and 20 TDs
    Welker: way ahead of schedule and ready to catch 100 passes
    Edelman: If preseason vs the Saints is any indication, he is ready to become a serious threat to any punk team trying to blitz us.
    Tate: Was slightly better than Nicks at UNC and hopefully can give us around 50 catches and a couple super athletic plays.
    Price: total question mark as to how good he is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Can the Patriots survive the loss of a guy that wasn't going to make the team anyway?  Um, yeah, they can.  Next.
    Posted by 123meg

I was thinking the same thing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

In Response to Re: Can Patriots Survive the Loss of Torry Holt?! : I was thinking the same thing.
    Posted by Evil2010

Sigh. I guess it's just not going to end.

Sections
Shortcuts