Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz?

SF has a pretty good offensive line protecting A. Smith, and they looked like a high school front last night. I'd hate to have our immobile Brady facing that. What say you folks?? Can our line hold them?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz?

In Response to Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz?:
    SF has a pretty good offensive line protecting A. Smith, and they looked like a high school front last night. I'd hate to have our immobile Brady facing that. What say you folks?? Can our line hold them?
    Posted by 3SB-rings

No question...the Ravens are the team to beat in the AFC. The Pats certainly don't want to face them in Baltimore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Did you see last weeks game?  Brady was getting killed in the 1st 1/2.  During half time Billy Oblivious'Brien read the game thread and came out throwing screen passes and went to the hurry up. The slaughter was on from there. 

That's how we beat that kind of blitz.  Control the tempo, throw the screen and having a real running game by starting Vereen or Ridley wouldn't hurt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Raven are the architype of the type of team the PAts have lost to over the past 5 years. Infact I cannot think of a team that has beaten the pats that did not have a top 5 in the league pass rush.(no actually one, Buffalo this year)

In that time the  PAts have been focussed around burning the over-agressive rush:

1.The Patriots had two excellent screens last game and are continue to work on that.

2.They got two blocking and catching tight ends to be as multi-look as possible.

3.Beefing up the the offensive line signing Mankins, drafting Solder and Cannon 2011, Volmer in 2009..

4.Runing more plays out of running formation with single back.

5.Drafting running backs.

I think this is all coming together. They have a really good shot at neutering these teams once and for all.

(Lost to Giants, Lost to Pitt. so still some work to do.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz?:
    Did you see last weeks game?  Brady was getting killed in the 1st 1/2.  During half time Billy O blivious 'Brien read the game thread and came out throwing screen passes and went to the hurry up . The slaughter was on from there.  That's how we beat that kind of blitz.  Control the tempo, throw the screen and having a real running game by starting Vereen or Ridley wouldn't hurt.
    Posted by tcal2-

Yes, the screens were key and the throw to Gronk just Brady was about to get hit was key in forcing KC into backing off a little bit on the 'Red Zone' defense KC tried to run from 20 to 20.

Ravens are the perfect rope-a- dope team..they will over pursue and commit too many to getting to Brady. Something to exploit with outlet passes, running.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I dont think the Ravens can come at us like that. We are a different offense than San Fran.

Ravens wanted to stop the run, put the ball in Smiths hands and then bury him.

The Pats arent even gonna try to run, so no need to force us into Brady throwing.  Only difference is we are built to pass and San Fran is built to run.

We would spread them out and kill them with short passes. I am not saying it would be easy, but if we are at home, we can move the ball if playcalling is right and so far as Flacco and the offense, I think we could limit the running game and make Flacco throw and this is where we can give him problems. He isnt that good once you get him moving.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

San Francisco's offense is anemic. It's Alex SMith handing off to whoever, and pray for rain. 

It's not 1:1. 

Baltimore would have a lot more trouble defending NE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Using Solder as a TE was an interesting wrinkle. LB'ers were hopelessly dominated, still the results were mixed. It worked great in the second half last week, not so great in the first. A little practice with it and I think it will be effective against the sell out rushers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

San Francisco runs because they can't pass.

This forum is brainwashed into thinking that a 30ppg offense is hurting the team somehow.

The only reason SF runs is because their QB stinks, they have little passing threat AND they have a defense that is good enough to cash their mediocre offense's checks against most offenses. 

Running the football at Baltimore as a primary strategy would be insane. They are built to stop the run from the front to the back. That's why they utterly dominated the 49er's 6th ranked rushing attack. 

If NE decided to run all game, and don't go after the holes in the blitz they'll only score six points as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Did you see last weeks game?  Brady was getting killed in the 1st 1/2.  During half time Billy O blivious 'Brien read the game thread and came out throwing screen passes and went to the hurry up . The slaughter was on from there.  That's how we beat that kind of blitz.  Control the tempo, throw the screen and having a real running game by starting Vereen or Ridley wouldn't hurt.
    Posted by tcal2-

Good post... also it would help if O'Brien came out knowing they were playing the Ravens defense and did that without needing to be told to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

San Francisco runs because they can't pass. This forum is brainwashed into thinking that a 30ppg offense is hurting the team somehow. The only reason SF runs is because their QB stinks, they have little passing threat AND they have a defense that is good enough to cash their mediocre offense's checks against most offenses.  Running the football at Baltimore as a primary strategy would be insane. They are built to stop the run from the front to the back. That's why they utterly dominated the 49er's 6th ranked rushing attack.  If NE decided to run all game, and don't go after the holes in the blitz they'll only score six points as well.
    Posted by zbellino

Z, this is what i was trying to explaing to Rusty after he said Alex Smith was playing better than Brady.

he didnt understand the difference in the way our team is built. Alex has the tools that Tom had early on. Running game and defense. This allows him to just manage the game.

Brady no longer has a dominant defense or run game(either by choice or just not effective enough) and hence the high amount of passes to get points on the board early because our defense will no doubt give up some yards that may lead to points.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

Raven are the architype of the type of team the PAts have lost to over the past 5 years. Infact I cannot think of a team that has beaten the pats that did not have a top 5 in the league pass rush.(no actually one, Buffalo this year) In that time the  PAts have been focussed around burning the over-agressive rush: 1.The Patriots had two excellent screen last game and are working on that. 2.The two blocking or catching tight ends was an adjustment to this. 3.Beefing up the the offensive line signing Mankins, drafting Solder and Cannon 2011, Volmer in 2009.. 4.Runing more plays out of running formation with single back. 5.Drafting running backs. I think this is all coming together. They have a really good shot at neutering these teams once and for all. (Lost to Giants, Lost to Pitt. so still some work to do.)
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76

I agree with you here. I see all the above happening and when Brady's elbow isn't hurting him his accuracy will come back to early year levels. The O-line are still slow in the beginning of games and have been for a while. Don't know why that is, though. We seem to handle pressive better when Brady lines up under center, too and this helps in the run game and opens up for more deceiving Play action. What do you guys think? I'm optomistic moving forward..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In Response to Re: Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz? : I agree with you here. I see all the above happening and when Brady's elbow isn't hurting him his accuracy will come back to early year levels. The O-line are still slow in the beginning of games and have been for a while. Don't know why that is, though. We seem to handle pressive better when Brady lines up under center, too and this helps in the run game and opens up for more deceiving Play action. What do you guys think? I'm optomistic moving forward..
    Posted by noahsark99

I think the defense that the Pats see is very energy consuming...and can only be effective for about 1 1/2 quarters...if The Patriots weather the first barrage and are not down by too many points then they can do something...the hard part for them is to keep the offense diverse enough when they are down by double digits.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Ravens is always a tough matchup but they can beat them if they play well like it always is. Ravens have a great defense. Period. I'm not sure how they aren't a tough matchup for almost every teams offense. They will go were Flacco can take them at the end of the day because teams will try to take away Ray Rice and see if Flacco can beat them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Other than the playoff game in 2009 i do not think Brady has ever lost to the Ravens. The Pats beat the Ravens last year with a more anemic offense then they have now. If Brady is patient and does not turn it over I like the Pats chances against any team. If the Pats offensive line plays well the Patriots usually win. My worry is that Woodhead is being used to block so much that one of brady's best safety valves in 2010 is going to waste as a blocking back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

they will have to run screen plays, have extra protection, like they did with solder last game, and run the ball. if brady stands back there like a statue waiting for the big play to open up it will be disaster. sacks, fumbles, interceptions, maybe injury. 

like one of the posters above said, they need to realize that they are playing the ravens and not wait till halftime to make the adjustments. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz? : I think the defense that the Pats see is very energy consuming...and can only be effective for about 1 1/2 quarters...if The Patriots weather the first barrage and are not down by too many points then they can do something...the hard part for them is to keep the offense diverse enough when they are down by double digits.
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76

I agree with this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

San Francisco runs because they can't pass. This forum is brainwashed into thinking that a 30ppg offense is hurting the team somehow. The only reason SF runs is because their QB stinks, they have little passing threat AND they have a defense that is good enough to cash their mediocre offense's checks against most offenses.  Running the football at Baltimore as a primary strategy would be insane. They are built to stop the run from the front to the back. That's why they utterly dominated the 49er's 6th ranked rushing attack.  If NE decided to run all game, and don't go after the holes in the blitz they'll only score six points as well.
    Posted by zbellino

baltimore is equally good against the pass and the run. they still have to run some to keep the defense honest, and set up some play action. imo the quick passes and screens will be the best way to attack the ravens. brady wont have much time for more than that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We have pretty much owned these clowns.

Tom Brady on Ravens: "They talk a lot for one win in nine years"

Posted by NBC Sports on October 18, 2010, 10:27 AM EST

New England’s 23-20 comeback overtime victory over the Ravens wasn’t enough to get to Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs to stop talking.

After the loss, Suggs said that Tom Brady “made some plays . . . But like I said, he just better hope he don’t see us again.”

At one point in the game, Brady and Suggs were seen jawing after a hit on Brady.  Suggs was asked what the two men talked about:

“He was trying to tell me how to bag a Hollywood actress,” Suggs said via the Boston Herald. “He
    said, ‘If you want to get a Hollywood actress, take my seminar on
    Saturday.’ …He was going over the Dow and the economy and politics. He
    doesn’t really talk football that much.”

Suggs’ answer was pretty funny, but Brady didn’t sound overly amused on his Monday morning appearance on WEEI.

“Well, he had his chance so maybe if he gets another chance he can try
    to back those words up,” Brady said in comments transcribed by the Boston Globe.  “We play those guys a lot and they’ve only beat
    us once . . . they talk a lot for only beating us once in nine years.”

The win kept a 23-game regular season winning streak at home alive for Brady.  He passed John Elway for the second longest streak.  Brett Favre has a 25-game streak from 1995-1998.

UPDATE: We checked Brady’s math and he’s right about the one loss. New England is 4-1 against Baltimore in the last nine years, with all but one of the games in the last four seasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Using Solder as a TE was an interesting wrinkle. LB'ers were hopelessly dominated, still the results were mixed. It worked great in the second half last week, not so great in the first. A little practice with it and I think it will be effective against the sell out rushers.
    Posted by shenanigan

Imagine that look, overloading one side with Solder at TE, Gronk and Hern as recievers. How does the D match up as to be able to play pass or run to that side?

Nice downfield blocking.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Probalby NOT.
    This Baltimore team defense is what wrecks the Pats. 3 blitzers from one side , with stunts included , very difficult to pick up all the attackers.. I think numerous flankers screens, Audible Called slants to the unloaded side draw plays could help..
     It looks to me that the Ravens are the best Defense and the favorites in the AFC
    Lots of Audibles and No Huddle can help to attack Baltimore.
     And contrary to an earlier post , the Ravens do not over pursue.. I watched all their games just to see what they do. Suggs and the other players usually stay home to avoid  big plays against Fl. around and other trick plays.
    GO PATS

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz?:
    Posted by 3SB-rings

Brady is a MUCH diferent QB than Smith...  better at reading the D and quicker release.  Ravens had an unreal night given who they were playing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Probalby NOT....  It looks to me that the Ravens are the best Defense and the favorites in the AFC.... GO PATS
    Posted by DavidSeattle

Ravens can't with with only defense and need help from their offense.  Besides, the 49ers don't exactly have an offense led by a QB that scares you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Can Pats protect Brady against THAT kind of blitz? : baltimore is equally good against the pass and the run. they still have to run some to keep the defense honest, and set up some play action. imo the quick passes and screens will be the best way to attack the ravens. brady wont have much time for more than that.
    Posted by kjfiton

They are an excellent pressure defense, but their run defense is better overall than their pass defense. Ladarious Webb, Cary Williams and Tim Zbikowski are nothing special against the pass. Your opportunities are there ... more so than running the ball at McClain, Suggs, Cody, Ngata, Redding, Ray Lewis, and Zbikowski (who is a good run defender). Of course you need to run some, you need to in every game ... but you aren't going to run through them or over them.

You have chances to get after them with Branch, Welker, Hern, Woodhead. Line play on both sides is key. Don't fall behind late. And don't let Flacco get comfortable, because he is another weak link. Don't let Ngata take the game over. Force them to send five to get pressure. There will be openings for the pass, and creases for the run that way. That means using the pass to establish holes for the run. 

Running to setup the pass will result in lots of unmanagable 3rd and longs against this team ... it's how they are built to play.  

Sections
Shortcuts