Can Pats use Hernandez's money to go after another FA?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Can Pats use Hernandez's money to go after another FA?

If so who should they be looking at? Who is still available?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Can Pats use Hernandez's money to go after another FA?

Hernandez still counts $4.073 million against the Pats cap this year.  Don't really think so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

And I believe over 7 mil next. However there will be extensive talks with the League Office regarding this matter. Of course this is not a performance release and should not be treated as such.

The League must allow teams to cut bad guys if it wants to do the right thing. The right thing is to allow teams to wipe out the contracts of trouble makers with no CAP hit.

The league may allow this if Hernandez is convicted but that takes time. The League should grant the Patriots a CAP exception and move on as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We didntstill didnt get any money back fron fenene yet did we?  I heard on the NFL network that they shouldn't pay Hernandez anything. Sure it still is a cap hit but he will never be able to collect the money. Take that coin and use it for charity. 

From what I've seen and heard the pats didnt have much contractual protection.  We just wanted to cut bait with the guy. Cap hit or not the cap goes up soon and it won't matter. Glad we're still 8-10m over right now. There will be camp cuts   BB the GM get out your magic wand and prove the haters wrong. 
    Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The CBA provides quite a bit of protection if a player is incarcerated (you can clawback most bonuses).  So I think the Pats will eventually get cap relief for this, even with the release.  Still they won't have it this year, so I doubt they can do much with the money this season.  Plus, at this late date, not a lot is going to be available that they couldn't have gotten anyway.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It is late and not much will be available. There's Dallas Clark, David Thomas, Kevin Boss and Randy McMichael. What about Chris Cooley? He used to be a stud.

The only other options I see to get a quality player will be unexpected camp cuts or a trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

It is late and not much will be available. There's Dallas Clark, David Thomas, Kevin Boss and Randy McMichael. What about Chris Cooley? He used to be a stud.

The only other options I see to get a quality player will be unexpected camp cuts or a trade.

....and then there is Tebow.  Don't be surprised it that is what happens.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

I hope the Pats not only refuse to pay any additional monies under the contract, but that they petition the League toget cap relief under these conditions.

That puts the onus on the League to declare where it actually will stand on situations like this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TinMan..  unless there is something in AH's contract which nullifies any guaranteed payments for "certain" off the field activities, AH gets the money.  Isn't that the point of guaranteed money?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to sheldong's comment:

Forget about Tebow transitioning to TE.  He's never player the position a day in his life.  His straight-ahead speed might be adequate, but he lacks the short-area quickness to make cuts and get open.  I doubt he is a natural pass-catcher either.  A guy who is actually a TE by trade, like Sudefeld or Ford, would be a much better option than Tebow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to sheldong's comment:

Forget about Tebow transitioning to TE.  He's never player the position a day in his life.  His straight-ahead speed might be adequate, but he lacks the short-area quickness to make cuts and get open.  I doubt he is a natural pass-catcher either.  A guy who is actually a TE by trade, like Sudefeld or Ford, would be a much better option than Tebow.

Yeah I agree - I can't see Tebow just all the sudden magically transforming into a NFL pass catching tight end. I think the guy can run a little bit and we've seen him break tackles, but running real NFL pass patterns and catching balls with real NFL defenders covering you is much much different. Could you imagine this guy catching a ten yard pass over the middle between a linebacker and safety? I can't. I think his best bet is fullback...run a little, catch a simple screen or dump in the flat and a little blocking. I won't be holding my breath on that though either. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

AGCS--yes, I would generally think so.  But who knows how the contract is actually worded?
    Even so, I say don't pay and make AH sue the Pats for the funds.  I'd be completely amazed if there was no clause somewhere in that contract that voids it for some kind of issue like this--don't forget that while the murder charge may or may not stick, there are weapons charges here that will be even harder for AH to get out from under.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TinMan.. when all is said and done.. the team moved on as should we.  AH is history to this fan base and team.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The CBA provides quite a bit of protection if a player is incarcerated (you can clawback most bonuses).  So I think the Pats will eventually get cap relief for this, even with the release.

The fact that they released him not just before his trial, but before he was even officially charged, essentially nullifies any potential cap relief they could get.  The team decided (correctly in my opinion) that distancing themselves from AH was more important than getting cap relief (which could only have been done by keeping him on the roster until he was at least charged with a crime, and possibly until he was convicted).

Sections
Shortcuts