Can Revis cover Welker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Can Revis cover Welker?

Welker might be the best reciever in the NFL so far this year (Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson may disagree). How much has Revis covered Welker in the past? With Hernandez and Woodhead potentially out the Pats may have some tough sledding against the Jets through the air. Gronkowski was basically taken out by the Raiders today and Brady looked upset with Branch a couple of times today. Ochocinco was actually the second leading receiver against the Raiders. Something seems to be off with Branch these last two games. With every defense concentrating on Gronkowski and Welker you would think he would be open more? Perhaps he is injured. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Can Revis cover Welker?

It's just a guess but I think you'll see Hernandez in the Jets game.As for Brady and Branch the only thing wrong with Branch is that the first target in Brady's progressions is the open receiver and it starts with Wes Welker and he's almost always open! Revis can cover Welker as long as he has help otherwise no way! Ocho actually caught 3 passes and one was called back because of an illegal motion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I sure hope you are right about Hernandez because it seems that he has become such an important part of the offense. A lot of commenters noted that his injury really hurt the Pats offense against the Jets last year in the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

The Jets will take every precaution needed to cover Gronk and Welker, without Hernandez the Pats haven't shown the ability to get the ball to other players.  This is a game when they'll need Ocho, Branch, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

"This is a game when they'll need Ocho, Branch, etc"

Or Edelman and Slater... Seemed that Ocho might have bit it depth wise today... if Branch cant get open, he is going to become an antique too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Can Revis cover Welker?:
    The Jets will take every precaution needed to cover Gronk and Welker, without Hernandez the Pats haven't shown the ability to get the ball to other players.  This is a game when they'll need Ocho, Branch, etc.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh

agreed. welker was the only guy getting open today. if they shut him down and hern isnt back, they only need to blanket gronk. mind you id never bring him back early, id rather risk losing the game than put him in the jets game, they target his knee and we lose him for the season. i dont bring him back till his knee is STRONG. he is too valuable. and is needed latter half of season and playoffs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

welker, geonk, hernandez, branch. revis and cromartie can only cover 2 and it depends on which cromartie shows up if they can cover 2 or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Gronk and Wes can't be covered by one man. Hernandez is a matchup problem for linebackers. If the PATS running game shows up the offense will roll.Our offensive line is better this year and hopefully Vollmer will be back boosting pass protection.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

I would assume that Revis can cover Welker until the Patriots prove he can't. It'll all depend on whether or not Welker can get off the jam, which unfortunately is what Revis does so well.

I'd like to see a lot of runs with Ridley/BJGE in the first half to open up play action for Gronk up the seam and hopefully Hernandez if he's healthy.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Didn't the Jets try to cover Welker with Revis during the regular season game in Foxboro las year when the Jets got blown out?  Next game (the playoff game), they put Revis on an outside receiver and covered Welker by flooding the underneath zones with safeties and LBs. I'd expect more zone looks next Sunday--though Rex may mix it up expecting BB to have made adjustments since the playoff game.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Has anyone studied the technics that good DB's use to eat up seconds of a passing play? The jam, the 2 second hold of the jersey to prevent seperation, etc.?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

ththe jets game will be on which recevier is open i expect them to try and take out welker and gronk  so if hernandez is healty he may excell brand and ocho may be called apon as well

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Didn't the Jets try to cover Welker with Revis during the regular season game in Foxboro las year when the Jets got blown out?  Next game (the playoff game), they put Revis on an outside receiver and covered Welker by flooding the underneath zones with safeties and LBs. I'd expect more zone looks next Sunday--though Rex may mix it up expecting BB to have made adjustments since the playoff game.   
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Exactly. If the Jets employ what they did in the playoff game by flooding the underneath zones, the Pats can kill them with Ridley and BJGE on the run. I think the run is even more important this week as the Pats match up against a good Jets secondary. Hopefully the run will be in full swing this week.

This could also be a week in which we see Vereen and Price. Those are 2 weapons we have yet to use and I got to think they are neariing ready status.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Can Revis cover Welker? : Exactly. If the Jets employ what they did in the playoff game by flooding the underneath zones, the Pats can kill them with Ridley and BJGE on the run. I think the run is even more important this week as the Pats match up against a good Jets secondary. Hopefully the run will be in full swing this week. This could also be a week in which we see Vereen and Price. Those are 2 weapons we have yet to use and I got to think they are neariing ready status.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Not sure about Vereen, until they trust him with passpro he won't see the field, especially against a team that likes overload blitzes.  My guess is he'd get torn apart in that department right now.  Maybe some Price though, that would be a welcome contribution.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Can Revis cover Welker? : Exactly. They can't use that again.   Or at least, I am assuming O'Brien gets this so when he sees it during the game, RUN IT. Even if they deocy the flooding, just run it anyway.  Set up play action.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I don't know how the Jets can play man with as many receiving options as we have. Could we see a mix?...Revis on welker, and then the Jets employ Zone to blanket everyone else?

I saw some creative blitzing last night from the Jets, a few cases bringing in Joe McKnight and loading up 1 side with potential blitzers.

The Pats Oline who has performed stellar to date, has a test this week. As good as the Jets D is, they can't stop everything. THey are going to have to pick their poision. My feeling is they try to disrupt Brady (creative blitzing) and shut down Welker and Gronk. It hopefully should line up another big day for Ridley and BJGE. Ocho should see some, and Branch could be a big factor.

Although Vereen is not battle tested, he is more than an adequate pass blocker..at least at the college level. He's got amazing strength for a guy his size. he would be the X factor if the Pats decided to work him in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Can Revis cover Welker? : I don't know how the Jets can play man with as many receiving options as we have. Could we see a mix?...Revis on welker, and then the Jets employ Zone to blanket everyone else? I saw some creative blitzing last night from the Jets, a few cases bringing in Joe McKnight and loading up 1 side with potential blitzers. The Pats Oline who has performed stellar to date, has a test this week. As good as the Jets D is, they can't stop everything. THey are going to have to pick their poision. My feeling is they try to disrupt Brady (creative blitzing) and shut down Welker and Gronk. It hopefully should line up another big day for Ridley and BJGE. Ocho should see some, and Branch could be a big factor. Although Vereen is not battle tested, he is more than an adequate pass blocker..at least at the college level. He's got amazing strength for a guy his size. he would be the X factor if the Pats decided to work him in.
    Posted by PatsLifer

wait Joe McKnight was blitzing??  He was drafted as a flex running back, so if they're sending him off the edge that truly is creative.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Nobody can cover Welker, you can only contain him with a great zone. Putting Revis on WW would be counter productive for the Jets because you would still need to double him on his quick outs.

And at this point it is obvious that Wes Welker is the best receiver in the game with Calvin Johnson the best red zone threat.

Wes 40 rec's 600 yards I think 6 tds in 4 games.....Jeez.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts