Can some football smartie breakdown why jerod mayo was such a disruptive force

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Can some football smartie breakdown why jerod mayo was such a disruptive force

Well basically they lined up in what's called the "Whoop yo a-ss" formation which lets Mayo use his awesomeness to make awesome plays.  Because the lineman were mastering the "pancaking" technique at the line, it really opened up Mayo to roam in what's called the "Kung Fu" linebacker position in a 4-3 where he can either "pity the fools" who he covers or "rock out with his co-ck out" by attacking the QB.

Sorry I had to get so technical with the terms.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

Re: Can some football smartie breakdown why jerod mayo was such a disruptive force

thank you sir- this is what i allegedly told myself

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Where else can you get such incisive analysis, I ask you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rotorhead. Show Rotorhead's posts

This defense is exactly what Mayo ran at UT which made him a killer in college. With the extra D-Lineman up front taking on more direct O-line that frees him up to scrap underneath and easily make plays. He was made to play 4-3 not really 3-4 because he had to get around more chip block centers and direct blocking guards. Not saying that he didn't do well but this is where you could see him win a DPY award. Flying all over the field

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

BEST POST EVER !!!!!

In Response to Re: Can some football smartie breakdown why jerod mayo was such a disruptive force:

Well basically they lined up in what's called the "Whoop yo a-ss" formation which lets Mayo use his awesomeness to make awesome plays.  Because the lineman were mastering the "pancaking" technique at the line, it really opened up Mayo to roam in what's called the "Kung Fu" linebacker position in a 4-3 where he can either "pity the fools" who he covers or "rock out with his co-ck out" by attacking the QB. Sorry I had to get so technical with the terms.
    Posted by shenanigan

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

thanks, great thoughts. so i am kind of regurgitating things i've heard but it seems belichick is moving away from the whole read and react stop the run first defense and is more focused on disrupting the pass-happy game?
    im really excited about this- the pats d has been very disruptive thus far- it's carter coming off the end? i dont even know what his number is yet.
    it is amazing that belichick made such a revolutionary change without a normal offseason
    this is the best pats team since 2007-

In Response to Re: Can some football smartie breakdown why jerod mayo was such a disruptive force:
    This defense is exactly what Mayo ran at UT which made him a killer in college. With the extra D-Lineman up front taking on more direct O-line that frees him up to scrap underneath and easily make plays. He was made to play 4-3 not really 3-4 because he had to get around more chip block centers and direct blocking guards. Not saying that he didn't do well but this is where you could see him win a DPY award. Flying all over the field
    Posted by Rotorhead

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree with Rotorhead on this one. Mayo as SOLB or MILB in a 4-3 showcases his athleticism, and frees him up to be more disruptive for the reasons listed. This is his natural position. Hard to imagine however, as productive as he is in a 3-4 as ILB, that he could be even more lethal in this type of role. He benefits more or as much from an improved 4 man line as the secondary. This shift is giong to pay dividends.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It looks a little like what he used to run at Tenn.

He was the MLB between the tackles, in nickel on one play and 4-3 on the other. What they did was blitzed him around someone. Once it was Carter, the second it was Anderson. Having DE's that are already a load to handle makes it pretty easy for a LBer to break free.

It is really nice to have these options. The defense is going to look even sicker once Haynesworth and Ellis are getting reps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

they will be able to drop into a 3-4 at any given time as well...they will just be messing people up and teams wont know what to prepare for...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Mayo at WLB is gonna be a monster!!!  No lineman snatching him up at the line and after playing the 3-4 very well for 3 years he has got to feel like he just got outta jail.  Carter also looked like I expected...a big upgrade to our rush.

re: mayo, Billy B said he didnt plan on moving Mayo at all and said he plans on keeping him inside the tackle box, I guess he didnt really lie but he did move Mayo, but just still has him inside the tackle. I thought Guyton also looked better in the 4-3 and w/Fletch or Spikes playing inside the sky is the limit for this defense and insert Haynesworth!!!  we are talking atleast a top 5 QB killing defense we used to have in 03' and 04'

If we can just keep the back end steady w/ # 31 and get Sanders back we will be Good to Go!    Qb's are shook right now after watching that im sure

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

they will be able to drop into a 3-4 at any given time as well...they will just be messing people up and teams wont know what to prepare for...
    Posted by jcour382

Yes, Bill runs a multiple scheme defense. Pats could show 4-3 at line initially and have Carter-Haynesworth-Wilfork-Ellis and Mayo-Spikes-Ninkovich behind them and then after the snap Carter drops into coverage and voila, a 3-4.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

he was beast blitzing. that's what i saw

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

Cause he's actually Ghostface Killah.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

BB is just putting him in a position to succeed. If Mayo plays the weak side all year, how many sacks will he get? I am going conservative and saying 15 sacks LOL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I believe it's Gerard Mayo. Get with the program. I mean, the guy who the pats are paying to call the game can't be wrong, right?

In all seriousness, how does Randy Cross screw up Mayo's name every year? I'd rather have Jerry Glanville than this idiot Cross. Or just use Zo up there and have Burton do the sideline. They're wasting $$ by paying Cross.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Missed the first half, but was surprised to hear he did so well in the pass rush (2 sacks). Spikes looked like the more natural blitzer/rusher from the inside. Mayo always seemed to time it wrong when I saw him blitz, perhaps the outside just is more natural for him in that role. There's no doubt that Mayo is one of the more explosive players you will see, with his size. We've all seen him violently tackle players, so it'd be nice to see him use that explosiveness freed up on the outside.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Don't question why the sky is blue or why women are so beautiful...it just is, brother. 

Sections
Shortcuts