Can Someone Explain?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Can Someone Explain?

I was a little confused about the series of events last night with regards to the overturned Gronk TD.  Illegal contact was originally called and declined, then the TD was reviewed and Gronk was called for going out of bounds, but the contact penalty on the Jets seemed to just disappear.

Was it because the Pats had already declined it?  The announcers made it sound like the call was undone because it was determined that Brady left the pocket via instant replay, but I didn't think a penalty like that was reviewable.  Not complaining just looking for a good explanation of what happened.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Re: Can Someone Explain?

penalties cant be reviewed, so the annoucers were clearly wrong about why the penalty was not brought back to be accepted and give us a first down on the goal line.

Weird situation that luckily ended up being a moot point as we rolled to an easy victory.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I didn't understand that either cuz it was 3 and 11 and after the pass to Gronk when he stepped out it was 3 and 16. the jests committed a penalty on the play too. I thought if you stepped out and came back in it is ruled incomplete and loss of downs not a 5 yard penalty? Correct me if I'm wrong. It was like the refs forgot who had the penalty and gave the 5 yards to the wrong team. Plus wouldn't the penalties just offset each other?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

yeah penalties are not supposed to be reviewable.  the stepping out makes it 1st and goal on the illegal contact.  they reviewed that and pulled the flag up which is against policy.  can't review penalty. 

And then our kick return to the 22 yard line.  no flag.  we start at 10.  WT F

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Speaking of penalties, it's a bit whiny since the Pats won but Revis and the Jets d-backs get away with a lot of holding and illegal contact.  I think the game would have been more of a blowout if a few calls were made agains the Jets.  I guess they figure the refs can't call them all. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Re: Can Someone Explain?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Someone Explain? : They can review the whole thing.  Illegal touch is five yards.  Brady was outside the pocket, so no illegal contact.  Besides, I believe the illegal touch ends the play. Learn the rules.
    Posted by dmpc[/QUOTE]

pcmIV's question was an interesting and legitimate query, one that many fans might ask.  You're knowledgeable response although accurate and informative, was spoiled by your arrogant and condescending exclamation, "Learn the Rules."

If all of us were so enlightened, it would result in fewer honest and interesting questions, discussions, and dialogue on this forum.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Can Someone Explain?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can Someone Explain? : The announcers were correct.
    Posted by dmpc[/QUOTE]

The problem was that the announcers gave the "impression" that they decided to pick up the flag and make the determination of Brady being out of the pocket from their initial reaction to the live play.

That was clearly NOT the case as they had accepted the Patriots decision to decline the penalty and publicly ruled it as being declined on the microphone to the crowd and viewing audience "before" an official review of the TD was called.

To your later point, and I assume you are correct as I am not going to go look up the exact rules, the "entire or every aspect of" play is reviewable. ..and it was on review that they saw Brady out of the pocket and made the decision to pick up that flag.

Collinsworth's comments in jest about the refs having great eyes to be able to see and make that call is misleading to the audience thinking that determination was made from the live play.