Can someone help explain the pass-rush imbalance yesterday?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Can someone help explain the pass-rush imbalance yesterday?

Here in sunny Bethesda, the TV network gods, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to air the Pats-Jets game so I was not able to watch the game. Incredibly frustrating!

From the stat sheet of the game, it looks like we passed 50 times and rushed only 20 times. We gained an average of 4.1 yards per pass play, and 4.5 yards per rushing play.

Jets passed 37 times and rushed 52 times! They gained an average of 5.6 yards per pass play, and only 3.4 yards per rushing play.

I don't get it. Can someone explain what the heck happened and why we didn't run more often when we were seemingly getting good yardage from both Ridley and Bolden? Ryan seems to have committed hugely to the run game even though Ivory was nowhere as productive as our duo. What happened?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Re: Can someone help explain the pass-rush imbalance yesterday?

We have fallen victim to key injuries.  We have no depth, our team isn't built to handle these injuries.  Our oline is playing bad, we can't run, we cant protect our QB, receivers cant get open, LB's couldn't cover a one legged man in his 90's if they had to.  Things are bad all over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have fallen victim to key injuries.  We have no depth, our team isn't built to handle these injuries.  Our oline is playing bad, we can't run, we cant protect our QB, receivers cant get open, LB's couldn't cover a one legged man in his 90's if they had to.  Things are bad all over.

[/QUOTE]

Well, OK, but I still don't get why they didn't run more often if they were gaining 4.5 yards per carry??? It looks like the Jets were getting a pathetic 3.4 yards per carry but kept running all afternoon. The time of possession was an insane 46+ minutes for the Jets versus 23 + minutes for the Pats. I could not believe the stat sheet so I rechecked the TOP numbers. You can't win with that kind of one-sided TOP, I don't care how good your team is.

Ridley, Bolden and Blount each had more yards per carry than Ivory or Bohannon. What in the world was going on with offensive play-calling?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, OK, but I still don't get why they didn't run more often if they were gaining 4.5 yards per carry??? It looks like the Jets were getting a pathetic 3.4 yards per carry but kept running all afternoon. The time of possession was an insane 46+ minutes for the Jets versus 23 + minutes for the Pats. I could not believe the stat sheet so I rechecked the TOP numbers. You can't win with that kind of one-sided TOP, I don't care how good your team is.

Ridley, Bolden and Blount each had more yards per carry than Ivory or Bohannon. What in the world was going on with offensive play-calling?

[/QUOTE]

I would have to watch it again, I think I spent half the game in the bathroom throwing up due to what I was watching on tv.  I don't recall being able to run.  Maybe we had a couple of big runs which made the ypc higher.  Our oline was horrible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Mcdaniels likes winning by running the ball. Not fancy enough for him. That is the only reason I can explain it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I suspect that the game plan included fewer run plays simply because, like it or not, the Pats were up against one of the better run defenses in the league.  And I watched the entire game.  The Jets D was indeed pretty stout yesterday against the run. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Patriots have no commitment to the run. It's something they toy with once in awhile.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I suspect that the game plan included fewer run plays simply because, like it or not, the Pats were up against one of the better run defenses in the league.  And I watched the entire game.  The Jets D was indeed pretty stout yesterday against the run. 

[/QUOTE]

So the stats did not tell the whole story. Were they padded by a few big runs, and the rest of the time they were getting stuffed?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots have no commitment to the run. It's something they toy with once in awhile.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was wondering. In the past, they reverted back to the pass game as soon as the going got tough. But ATJ thought they were up against a stout run defense. I still think the ratio could maybe have been better than 20:50, run:pass. It did not appear that they were ever that far behind that passing was the only option.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was also surprise that the got away from the run in overtime.  Didn't make much sense too me, I put the blame on Mcdaniels, they were playing in overtime like it was late in the 4th with no time left.  

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't get McDaniels sometimes. The guy seems to have a Jekyll and Hyde personality when it comes to game planning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

AND....that pretty much sums up the PATS 2013 season perfectly!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Also look at 3rd downs on. Both sides of the ball. Our offense was miserable converting and our defense couldn't get off the field. Huge reason.

watching our offense, it seemed like one of those games where there was no rhythm. The playcalling was poor, I didn't see any play action. I notice when our offense doesn't establish a rhythm, they have a hard time moving it. Such was yesterday. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1 the Jets are one of the best run DL currently. They invested in some good young DL through drafting (sorry I really wanted Wilkerson the year Ras was our big claim to fame, still stings almost as bad as the Matthews year)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was also surprise that the got away from the run in overtime.  Didn't make much sense too me, I put the blame on Mcdaniels, they were playing in overtime like it was late in the 4th with no time left.  

[/QUOTE]

After the first down out to the 40 in OT they threw 3 straight passes. How about running the ball on 1st down to at least keep the jet D honest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

They got completely away from running in the second half.  First half was, unbelievably, more balanced, especially after the first part of the Pats first possession (opened with 6 straight pass attempts before finally running the ball).

1st half:  29 total plays, 17 pass, 12 run

2nd half:  39 total plays, 29 pass, 10 run

OT:  4 total plays, 4 pass, 0 run

(punts excluded from the play counts)

Only positive I can see here is that they actually were calling some running plays in the Red Zone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

sure, maybe it wasn't in the game plan because they barely got 55 yards or so in the first game, but aren't coaches supposed to recognize when something is working during the game - and make changes accordingly?

Blame BB and the coaches. Players don't decide the game plan. Players don't make the offensive and defensive play calls. And, the only person who possibly can change the play/call an audible is Brady.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They got completely away from running in the second half.  First half was, unbelievably, more balanced, especially after the first part of the Pats first possession (opened with 6 straight pass attempts before finally running the ball).

1st half:  29 total plays, 17 pass, 12 run

2nd half:  39 total plays, 29 pass, 10 run

OT:  4 total plays, 4 pass, 0 run

(punts excluded from the play counts)

Only positive I can see here is that they actually were calling some running plays in the Red Zone.

[/QUOTE]

I am going to try and watch the condensed version on NFL Replay sometime today because this is bugging me. The Jets were apparently getting 3 odd yards per rushing play but used it a total of 52 freaking times! I have to believe that our defense, decimated by injuries to begin with, must have been gassed at the end. The Jets ended up holding the ball for twice as long as the Patriots. I want to see how many 3 and outs our boys had. I know the 3rd down numbers were abysmal as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

sure, maybe it wasn't in the game plan because they barely got 55 yards or so in the first game, but aren't coaches supposed to recognize when something is working during the game - and make changes accordingly?

Blame BB and the coaches. Players don't decide the game plan. Players don't make the offensive and defensive play calls. And, the only person who possibly can change the play/call an audible is Brady.

I agree. But if they really stuck with a bad gameplan, it isn't on Brady, it's on the coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments. From what the Tin Man reports, it sounds like they went even further away from the run game in the second half, and completely abandoned it in OT. What the heck were they looking at that no one else could see? Were they completely committed to getting Gronk into game shape, regardless of the result? Hard to believe that from BB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We have Tom Brady, they have Geno Smith and the Pats without their two starting DTs. 

Would be wise to run if you're the Jets, especially up the gut. Would be wise to pass if you're the Pats, but Brady wasn't Brady yesterday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

We have Tom Brady, they have Geno Smith and the Pats without their two starting DTs. 

Would be wise to run if you're the Jets, especially up the gut. Would be wise to pass if you're the Pats, but Brady wasn't Brady yesterday.

I watched the replay last night and I am very confused by the playcalling. There looked like 14 rushing attempts in the first half - runs of 5,0,0,1,0 and 8 by Bolden and 1,2,5,7,17,1,and 4 by Ridley for a total of 51 yards. Second half, runs of 4 and 9 by Bolden, 1,12,8,0 and 5 by Ridley, most of these in the 3rd quarter. In between these runs, there were as many as 9 straight passing attaempts. The team was MORE productive per run in the second half (5+ YPC) and Josh moved more and more towards an unsuccessful passing attack as the game went on. Half the rushing attempts versus the first half. I think it was a really messed up playcalling day for the good guys.

Chalk it up to experience and let's move on to the Dolphins. But this needs to be a learning experience. Trust the running game! Give Brady a chance to have the defense not key in on him all game long.

Sections
Shortcuts