Can Someone Please Analyze the O Line and Tell Us If We have a Big Problem?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Can Someone Please Analyze the O Line and Tell Us If We have a Big Problem?

Thank you...I need to sleep tonight one way or the other.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: Can Someone Please Analyze the O Line and Tell Us If We have a Big Problem?

They played against a great defensive line and didn't play too well themselves. Matt Light was seeing his first live action in awhile and Dan Connolly got injured at some point during the game.

Nothing to be proud of, but there were a lot of contributing factors. Scarnecchia will get these guys in top-form by the start of the regular season. No need to lose any sleep.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

keep in mind half the defense didnt even make the trip, Detroit has a good D, and a great passrush. i think its just giving us a real test and showing we are not exactly 19-0 shape right now

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Re: Can Someone Please Analyze the O Line and Tell Us If We have a Big Problem?:
    [QUOTE]They played against a great defensive line and didn't play too well themselves. Matt Light was seeing his first live action in awhile and Dan Connolly got injured at some point during the game. Nothing to be proud of, but there were a lot of contributing factors. Scarnecchia will get these guys in top-form by the start of the regular season. No need to lose any sleep.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Thanks guys...is Connolly badly injured? Will he be missed?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The O-line has been and remains overrated. It's an average line populated by apparent superstars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Some parts of the OL are long in the tooth, some are young and unproven.

I only saw part of the game, but from what I saw - was Woody missing last night? Seems like we didn't run the ball well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Think some of the problem is scheme.  That spread offense is maybe too predictable. Maybe part of the problem is that defenses don't have to worry much about the run, so their interior linemen are free to rush with abandon on every play.  It seems like we really struggle against teams that have a good interior pass rush. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

It's  amazing  how  a  14 - 2  team  could  have  so  many  glaring  weaknesses  ( ie.  NO  PASS  RUSH ; O-LINE  THAT  CAN"T  PASS  PROTECT  AGAINST  ELITE  D-LINES  AND  CAN'T  GENERATE  A  CONSISTENT  RUN  OFFENSE ).  BB  has  certainly  addressed  the  pass  rush  issue.  Our  O-line  was  the  primary  reason  for  the  SB  loss  against  the  Giants.  It  was  MEN  VS.  BOYS.  Apparently, PATS  brass  didn't  want  to  spend  $$  on  the  O-line  and  reluctantly  did  so  with  Mankins.  The  PATS  O-line  is  the  biggest  obstacle  to  winning  our  4th  SB.  Koppen, Light  and  Connolly  need  to  be  replaced  ASAP.  Hopefully, Solder  can  step  in  for  Light  later  in  the  year.  The  PATS  have  some  CAP  money  left  and  should  bring  in  atleast  a  polished  center  or  a  guard  to  replace  Connolly.  They  have  enough  draft  choices  and  extra  D-linemen  to  pull  off  a  trade.  BB  needs  to  do  something, hopefully  this  year.  The  window  is  closing  on  Brady -  probably  2  more  years  after  this  year.       

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Detroit had a healthy energetic d-line that was overpowering our o-line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

Our O-line is good, solid.  Give credit where it is due - the Lions D-line was a beast last night.  Teams the generate a great pass rush tend to give us and most other teams real problems.  And while Brady is very good at sliding in the pocket, he is below average when it comes to extending plays.  It is what it is. 
    Lions gave us quite the battle last year for what, 3 quarters?  Some teams play us well.
    Our defense was what disappointed me most.  But it seems we ran the old 3-4 bend and don't break crap last night.  It puts too much pressure on the defensive backs.  I call last night a good, sobering, slap in the face.  In a game that doesn't count.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In Response to Re: Can Someone Please Analyze the O Line and Tell Us If We have a Big Problem?:
    [QUOTE]Our O-line is good, solid.  Give credit where it is due - the Lions D-line was a beast last night.  Teams the generate a great pass rush tend to give us and most other teams real problems.  And while Brady is very good at sliding in the pocket, he is below average when it comes to extending plays.  It is what it is.  Lions gave us quite the battle last year for what, 3 quarters?  Some teams play us well. Our defense was what disappointed me most.  But it seems we ran the old 3-4 bend and don't break crap last night.  It puts too much pressure on the defensive backs.  I call last night a good, sobering, slap in the face.  In a game that doesn't count.
    Posted by BelichickforPresident[/QUOTE]

Our  O-line  is  good, solid  ???  Like  they  were  against  the  Ravens  in  '09  and  the  Jets  in  last  year's  playoff  loss ?  I  don't  even  want  to  imagine  what  the  Lions  would  have  done  to  Brady  last  night  if  Fairley  and  Vanden  Bosch  were  in  the  lineup.  Good, solid  ????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]The O-line has been and remains overrated. It's an average line populated by apparent superstars.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I would agree to an extent. I think our line is servicable at best, when I look at it's interior Koppen, Mankins, and Connoly don't strike fear into me. Our tackles look good, but then again there was a time that I thought Light was a liability. In all honesty Brady makes them look much better that they are, if Bledsoe was playing behind this line he'd get killed and they'd be considered terrible.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Offenive line=STINKS Period!!!!!They have STUNK EVER SINCE THE 2007 SB...
    Wr=every singled one STINKS period!!!!! Terriable #1wr, Terriable #2wr, except 4 Welker------------

/>Triple teamed on every god damm play or gets killed when he catches the ball(wont last long)
    0 Pass Rush, no playmakers 2 get 2 the QB
    Kraft=Very Cheap now, doesen't want 2 pay 4 high impact Wr's or high impact passrushers anymore ever again because he doesent care now that he has 3 rings and tom Brady there to continue sell outs 4 him at the stadium
    Belicheck=Out coached the past 4 years when it counts!!!!! NOT THE SAME COACH ANYMORE

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Again, you can't ignore scheme. Our interior line has some weaknesses (Koppen and Connolly aren't that great) but when all you do is pass from a spread formation it's really easy for the defensive tackles to target the weak links on the interior O line.  We've got to vary things up to force the DTs to have to think about more things and do more things.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Polonium. Show Polonium's posts

Matt Light ought to be released.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from odDboB. Show odDboB's posts

In Response to Can Someone Please Analyze the O Line and Tell Us If We have a Big Problem?:
    [QUOTE]Thank you...I need to sleep tonight one way or the other.
    Posted by PetesCall[/QUOTE]

They do seem erratic against great pass rushes. To me, the key is to establish the run to take heat off the DE line pressure. We were unimaginative mixing-it-up and used only 2 backs most of the night. The new RBs weren't there. And, hey, how about Green-Ellis up the middle again?

There were also 4 bad throws by Brady. Besides the pick, there were 3 occasions where he didn't get the ball to wide open guys. I know how great #12 is. Let's face it, though, there are times when he makes costly mistakes. One missed completion can kill a whole drive. Or lose an AFC Championship game (3rd down at midfield late in Q4 missing Troy Brown). 
    The cold truth---In the next year or 2, the Pats need to groom a successor. In recent years, the pattern is familiar: Brady gets hurt (often the full extent of the injuries kept quiet) and we lose in the playoffs. 
    I hope Ryan Mallet gets a shot. He may not be front page news yet, but I like the p.o.'d look in his eye.

Pat-a-holic    boB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]keep in mind half the defense didnt even make the trip, Detroit has a good D, and a great passrush. i think its just giving us a real test and showing we are not exactly 19-0 shape right now
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]
    You really need to elaborate please. Who are the half? Does Phat Albert account for 40%?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Light ought to be released.
    Posted by Polonium[/QUOTE]
    I think he still has visions of Mike Strahan. That was a nightmare. Three or four false starts in that game. He was twitching in anticipation. Better him than me. The world was watching this.

Sections
Shortcuts